HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toskala is happy to be gone!

Old
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
SingForAbsolution

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
I'm not a big fan of the guy, but I don't think he was "moaning" about playing behind Hiller. That might be a tad exaggerated. For some reason he continues to believe he's a number one, which is good for him if he thinks it'll help him stay motivated or something.

He's an idiot to ask for #35. Somehow I don't buy that he didn't know it was Giguere's old number considering he did play in the same division as the guy, so yeah, that's kind of inexcusable.
I wouldn't say he's an idiot, He's had #35 for most of his career so I don't see why he would want to change that. Raycroft had Bower's #1 when he was here because he stuck with #1 in his NHL career and look how that turned out for him. I know when I played juniors, I always had #10 and I didn't want to change, so I can see where he's coming from. I'd say its more tradition for him than it is being egotistical

SingForAbsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
I think you guys need to look at a longer timeline to understand the problem. Over the course of the last 5 years, the Toronto Maple leafs have been ruining goaltenders. Goaltenders that were highly touted or acomplished before wearing the white and blue were all somehow got worse and posted their worst career numbers in Toronto. Lets look back to when Belfour came over. First year was lights out, but really started to tail off in the next two seasons. had a little resurgance on Florida, but his game had hit a wall in his hast two seasons with the Leafs. Toskala was pretty much the same thing, lights out first season, progressivly lost confidence and got worse. Raycroft was ruined. Gustuvson hasn't been ruined yet, but he is on his way.

If I was a goalie in the NHL I would never ever want to play for the Leafs. Thats like seeing your coffin before you die.
Do a little reserach and try again.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
I think you guys need to look at a longer timeline to understand the problem. Over the course of the last 5 years, the Toronto Maple leafs have been ruining goaltenders. Goaltenders that were highly touted or acomplished before wearing the white and blue were all somehow got worse and posted their worst career numbers in Toronto. Lets look back to when Belfour came over. First year was lights out, but really started to tail off in the next two seasons. had a little resurgance on Florida, but his game had hit a wall in his hast two seasons with the Leafs. Toskala was pretty much the same thing, lights out first season, progressivly lost confidence and got worse. Raycroft was ruined. Gustuvson hasn't been ruined yet, but he is on his way.

If I was a goalie in the NHL I would never ever want to play for the Leafs. Thats like seeing your coffin before you die.
This has been a problem for goaltenders post-lockout. Pre-lockout though, we've had the pleasure of seeing a great CUJO and an even better Belfour.

Belfour was on the decline when the lockout ended due to age. If he was in his prime here in Toronto following the lockout, we'd be a playoff team, no doubt. Toronto did not harm Eddie, his age and injuries just caught up to him.

Raycroft was brought in after Belfour. He had struggled in his last season with the Bruins and was overtaken by Thomas. JFJ acquired him in hopes of Ray regaining his Calder Trophy form... but alas, that experiment failed.

Toskala was an unproven goaltender in San Jose that played behind very good Wilson-coached teams. He was an unproven goaltender that played very well in Toronto for a year and then faded when the workload wore on him over the years. JFJ thought he'd be a premier goaltender for a long time for the Leafs but he thought wrong.

In short, it's not the organization that ruins goaltenders. It's simply the goaltenders themselves: Raycroft was struggling before he came in and never regained his form. Toskala proved that he couldn't handle being a number one goaltender behind a mediocre team.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
It's disappointing looking at the schedule and realizing we don't play Anaheim for the rest of the year. We could use the automatic 2 points if Toskala was in net.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingForAbsolution View Post
I wouldn't say he's an idiot, He's had #35 for most of his career so I don't see why he would want to change that. Raycroft had Bower's #1 when he was here because he stuck with #1 in his NHL career and look how that turned out for him. I know when I played juniors, I always had #10 and I didn't want to change, so I can see where he's coming from. I'd say its more tradition for him than it is being egotistical
No, he's an idiot.

Your Bower comparison doesn't make any sense because Johnny played 40 years ago (which is more than an acceptable amount of time for someone to resurrect the number). Even Stajan was permitted to wear Keon's #14. But this situation is much different considering Giguere was just there last week, and he is clearly one of the best players to play in franchise history and his number will likely be retired by them. Toskala, on the other hand, is on an expiring contract and is only there for a couple of months most likely. The classy thing to do would have been to ask for a different number.

It's the equivalent of Sjostorm coming here asking to wear #13. Maybe in 20 years we will see someone wear #13, but not so soon after Mats's departure.

As for your comment about playing in junior, well, Toskala is a lot older than a 17 or 18-year-old kid and should know better.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavsson View Post
He was an unproven goaltender that played very well in Toronto for a year and then faded when the workload wore on him over the years.

Also, Toskala had his fair share of injuries (his constant groin injuries and his season-ending surgery last season come to mind). But I guess Toronto is where players go to get injured and it's our fault.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
SingForAbsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
No, he's an idiot.

Your Bower comparison doesn't make any sense because Johnny played 40 years ago (which is more than an acceptable amount of time for someone to resurrect the number). Even Stajan was permitted to wear Keon's #14. But this situation is much different considering Giguere was just there last week, and he is clearly one of the best players to play in franchise history and his number will likely be retired by them. Toskala, on the other hand, is on an expiring contract and is only there for a couple of months most likely. The classy thing to do would have been to ask for a different number.

It's the equivalent of Sjostorm coming here asking to wear #13. Maybe in 20 years we will see someone wear #13, but not so soon after Mats's departure.

As for your comment about playing in junior, well, Toskala is a lot older than a 17 or 18-year-old kid and should know better.
Again, its easy to say that "he should've asked for another number to be classy" but you're not think of the mindset of an athlete. Numbers hold a very special place for someone, which is why they stick with it (I think I saw like a segment about it during one of the games), and if that number meant something to Vesa, you can't fault him for asking to take that number. Like the old saying goes, "It never hurts to ask". Not to mention that 35 is a common goaltender's number

SingForAbsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Federko

The whole goalie situation in Toronto-post lockout, is simple: JFJ brought in two sub par goalies: Raycroft & Toskala. He sold everyone on the fact that they were the next: Belfour and Cujo (potentially). Thus, when management got Leafs nation hopes up again (i.e. these goalies, or playoff promises) we expected seeing the top calibre we use to see pre lockout.

Well that didn't happen and why? Raycrap was crap after his calder season and had nothing to do with joining Toronto. A "One Hit Wonder" so to speak.

Toskala was an injury prone back up goalie.

Compare them to say: Cujo (was already established pre Toronto and shined on), Eddie Belfour (was already established and a cup champion --who ever said he faded in Toronto must be drinking some serious wind-shield-washer-fluid or some 10W30)

Additionally, if you think this is a city where goalies come to die you're simply much too young or were not a fan of this team pre lockout.

As for Gusto - he won't "die" here. He was the "Hiller" or "Bryzgalov" piece brought in by Burke who adds pieces as they arise. Not in any particular order. The "Hiller" piece was brought here before Jiggy was on the team. Which explains everything about Gusto moving forward. Not to mention his two heart surgeries and his parents death. But again, it must be the Leafs fault?

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Nostadamus actually refered to Vesa in a quatrain for the third anti christ...take vesa, spell it backwards, add an i and e and you get A SIEVE. The world is said to end 2 years and 11 months after A SIEVE is traded to Anaheim.

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Leaf Army

Why we were so patient with this POS I'll never know.

What the hell kind of a professional athlete plays like garbage then has the nerve afterwards to shrug and say "everyone makes mistakes."

He's always had a terrible attitude. He thinks he should be a starter! Holy crap! Maybe he'll get a wake up call during free agency.

I knew from day one he'd be a terrible addition. We wasted three seasons on this moron.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I think it's funny how he got denied the #35 because Giguere, a legitmate, accomplished goaltender used to wear it.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

dont seem to be mentioned, but on 2 occasions i have seen watching the leafs, gustavson was pulled earlyish to be replaced by vesa (pretty obvious managment trying to keep gustavson happy in TOR) but would see also vesa getting destroyed and wilson keeping him in nets. im not suprised hes pissed off, he was treated like royal crap, considering team has been sub 500 for years, its pretty impossible for goalie to have good stats or good performances.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
dont seem to be mentioned, but on 2 occasions i have seen watching the leafs, gustavson was pulled earlyish to be replaced by vesa (pretty obvious managment trying to keep gustavson happy in TOR) but would see also vesa getting destroyed and wilson keeping him in nets. im not suprised hes pissed off, he was treated like royal crap, considering team has been sub 500 for years, its pretty impossible for goalie to have good stats or good performances.
Vesa was the worst goalie in the league the last two seasons, and that includes backs ups and a few third stringers.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I think if you put Vesa this year in Buffalo or NJ for example, they wouldn't be playoff teams. And I think if you put Marty or Ryan Miller here in Toronto, then we would see some playoff action this spring. It's all about the goaltending.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Autologic
@Dropinlogic

The reason it took Toskala so long to join the Ducks wasn't a work visa issue. He actually just kept missing his flight to Anaheim. They were flying past him high glove side.

Autologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Alain Racette

You shouldn't worry about that paint job just yet, Vesa... Backups wear hats on the bench.

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autologic View Post
The reason it took Toskala so long to join the Ducks wasn't a work visa issue. He actually just kept missing his flight to Anaheim. They were flying past him high glove side.
Not bad.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:30 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
You shouldn't worry about that paint job just yet, Vesa... Backups wear hats on the bench.
Exactly

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Raging Bull

He requested to wear number 35, previously worn by Giguere, and was told wasn't allowed.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAustralia View Post
OMG what a Jerk!
saying "OMG what a jerk" sounds like something a 12 yr old girl says when she finds out her bf kissed another girl.

Toskala is on another team now, he can trash talk us all he wants.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
VL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
He requested to wear number 35, previously worn by Giguere, and was told wasn't allowed.
Sorry Vesa but that number is reserved for real goalies down in Anaheim. Better luck next season in the KHL/ECHL/beer league that you'll be joining.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Burkeburger*

I read something like 3 pages of posts here... and didn't see any comments on this one, but even team Finland plays with blue and white, so this comment by Toskala is even more dumb. What a sore ****in loser, a real ****in idiot. What an empty head. One of our worst players ever to wear the uniform. In so many ways.

Burkeburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post

Toskala is on another team now, he can trash talk us all he wants.
I agree to an extent, but when he was such a big part of the problem here, you'd think he would just keep his mouth shut. Didn't hear any of the guys in Calgary say anything bad about their time in Toronto on the way out.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

Belfour was nothing short of steller for the Leafs, except for his back-injury riddled final season. His GAA was 2.18 the year before that. After leaving, he put together a decent season for Florida but by then he was over 40 years old and hung up the skates. He was great for the Leafs and being here certainly didn't do anything to hurt his career.

Raycroft was awful for us and his play since leaving hasn't done anything but further support the idea that his Calder season was a fluke.

We'll see with Toskala...

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Cappo40*

Hey Vesa,
We lost because of you...We scored, but couldn't hold leads because you cannot stop a beachball..

Suck an egg SCRUB!

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote