HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I haven't watched many games in my young Sixers fan career. But just after a few games, I've noticed one player that stands out to me. Spencer Hawes. Terrible as hell.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
zarley zelepukin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I haven't watched many games in my young Sixers fan career. But just after a few games, I've noticed one player that stands out to me. Spencer Hawes. Terrible as hell.
You already have a keen eye.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:00 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
You're right on. He is awful.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
mm6492

Tank for Wiggins or Parker.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'd rather have Brittney Griner play Center than Spencer Hawes.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sixers self-inflicted pain

Doug Moe was probably the biggest slap in the face..guy completely stole from the 76ers when he was axed 56 games into the season but this Bynum situation is just par for the course. I mean the 76'ers have made lots of disastrous moves in their history like the Brad Daugherty and Moses Malone trades. The Barkley trade was pretty crappy too considering the returns for an MVP ...

Anyway..here is an article about the Doug Moe firing

Quote:
Moe has a guaranteed three-year contract that will pay him approximately $700,000 a year through the end of the 1994-95 season. In all probability, according to Moe, who had coached 14 NBA seasons before joining the Sixers, he will never coach again.

Moe is a believer in a little-used style of up-tempo basketball in which the players are given very few set plays to run and are expected to act and react based on their basketball instincts. The Sixers, with some players wildly unsuited to that style of play, never embraced his philosophy.

"We never practice," one veteran said after Saturday's loss to Seattle. ''We have no offense. We have no defense. We're not prepared to play. We're not playing very well, but it's a chicken-and-egg kind of thing. What comes first? (Moe) packed it in more than a month ago."

Moe, as is his wont, was open in his criticism of the Sixers. He felt that many players on the team were not capable of playing competitive basketball.

"Are they mad at me?" he said after the Seattle loss. "You think I care?"

http://articles.philly.com/1993-03-0...nt-fred-carter

This one is not so funny....

Quote:
Trading Brad Daugherty for Roy Hinson (Sixers)

The Sixers were coming off a 54-28 season, had veterans Moses Malone and Dr. J, a promising young star named Charles Barkley, and the No. 1 pick in the 1986 Draft. Hard to screw that up, right? Wrong. In perhaps the most disastrous 30 minutes of Draft Day history, the Sixers traded Daugherty (right) for Roy Hinson, then turned around and traded Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland. Ruland would play five games for the Sixers and Hinson would be traded after a disappointing year and a half. Daugherty, meanwhile, would become the Cavs best player ever until LeBron came along, and Moses would average a double-double for the next four years. Twenty-five years later, and some would say that the Sixers still haven't recovered. —Johnny Goodtimes (AP Photo/Charles Krupa/Karen Tam)

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...ftdecisions/8/

Old
03-06-2013, 11:43 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Tank for Wiggins or Parker.
^^^Thats next years draft.

This team NEEDS a top five pick this year and next.

Keep Jrue obviously, and keep Thad, Turner, and Moultrie unless a good trade can be worked out and not completely burglarize the Sixers.

All the other players, the entire coaching staff and front office should be abandoned in Antarctica.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
You're right on. He is awful.
What an awful year for Hawes. I don't understand how he was somewhat decent in the playoffs?

Honestly, I miss Igoudala. Andre brought it every night.

As everyone else has said, I think the NBA Draft is the only way this team ever will reclaim its glory. Hopefully a team like OKC will be a comparable model.

As for Bynum, is it even worth it? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
^^^Thats next years draft.

This team NEEDS a top five pick this year and next.

Keep Jrue obviously, and keep Thad, Turner, and Moultrie unless a good trade can be worked out and not completely burglarize the Sixers.

All the other players, the entire coaching staff and front office should be abandoned in Antarctica.

The sad part is there are 9 teams in the league with a worse record than the Sixers.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Doug Moe was probably the biggest slap in the face..guy completely stole from the 76ers when he was axed 56 games into the season but this Bynum situation is just par for the course. I mean the 76'ers have made lots of disastrous moves in their history like the Brad Daugherty and Moses Malone trades. The Barkley trade was pretty crappy too considering the returns for an MVP ...(
Meh, my moment for quitting the Sixers and the NBA in general was the whole Derrick Coleman fiasco. Pay him $5+ million to go away, then bring him back? WTF is wrong with you? The dude was terrible, you paid him money to just go because he was terrible, then you resign him because apparently you cannot run a basketball team. Sorry, after all the years of mismanagement and BS, that was the breaking point, I was done.

Then they end up hiring the guy who oversaw the Nets become a disaster, and I didn't feel the need to come back. The Sixers have been a consistently mismanaged team for most of the past 15-20 years, outside of when Larry Brown cared and got Allen Iverson to give a rat's ass.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
If there was ever a game I've wanted this team to win in the last 10 years, it was against the Heat. I hate that smug POS team and wanted to end their stupid streak.

03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Going to the Sixers game tonight. I hate basketball but my buddy got tickets to the game, Row A. I assume this is cuortside so I could not turn it down.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Meh, my moment for quitting the Sixers and the NBA in general was the whole Derrick Coleman fiasco. Pay him $5+ million to go away, then bring him back? WTF is wrong with you? The dude was terrible, you paid him money to just go because he was terrible, then you resign him because apparently you cannot run a basketball team. Sorry, after all the years of mismanagement and BS, that was the breaking point, I was done.

Then they end up hiring the guy who oversaw the Nets become a disaster, and I didn't feel the need to come back. The Sixers have been a consistently mismanaged team for most of the past 15-20 years, outside of when Larry Brown cared and got Allen Iverson to give a rat's ass.
Coleman was another debacle and you framed the whole soap opera well. It's amazing this team is still operating...they have been so poorly mismanaged. They really need to write a book and cite all the idiotic things they have done since 83...

Old
03-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Going to the Sixers game tonight. I hate basketball but my buddy got tickets to the game, Row A. I assume this is cuortside so I could not turn it down.
If it's not courtside, it's damn close. Perhaps behind the net. Lucky you.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
If it's not courtside, it's damn close. Perhaps behind the net. Lucky you.
My buddy's boss (from whom we got the tickets) said we should be on TV a good part of the night. I'll be the guy in the suit with the big beard.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My buddy's boss (from whom we got the tickets) said we should be on TV a good part of the night. I'll be the guy in the suit with the big beard.
If he's in the house, and if you're in range hit Bynum with a spitball right before you leave for me please. If it misses, and hits Nick Young, that'll work, too.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
If he's in the house, and if you're in range hit Bynum with a spitball right before you leave for me please. If it misses, and hits Nick Young, that'll work, too.
If he has one of his weirdo Afro's (comb down or puffed out) you certainly couldn't miss him. A spit ball though is too generous ..he needs some more solid projectiles thrown at him. He said he doesn't want to play with pain so might as well just add to the pain he's inflicted on the Sixers b/c his knees are pretty much shot...

Old
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Was about five feet from Bynum, but he wasn't there all night. I think just during the first quarter. I met Darryl Dawkins though. And I saw Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette at Xfinity Live before the game. Homer is way taller and skinnier than I thought he was.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Coleman was another debacle and you framed the whole soap opera well. It's amazing this team is still operating...they have been so poorly mismanaged. They really need to write a book and cite all the idiotic things they have done since 83...
Yeah, they had a chance to become something decent after the 2000 run to the Finals, then just blew it because Iverson's an ass and Brown can't keep from blowing things up eventually. Oh, and the team is cursed even more so then the Phillies with incompetent ownership/leadership. Which is saying something, considering the Phillies history.

I still remember them drafting Shawn Bradley and wondering how a 7'6" white guy who hadn't played in two years was going to make them better.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Yeah, they had a chance to become something decent after the 2000 run to the Finals, then just blew it because Iverson's an ass and Brown can't keep from blowing things up eventually. Oh, and the team is cursed even more so then the Phillies with incompetent ownership/leadership. Which is saying something, considering the Phillies history.

I still remember them drafting Shawn Bradley and wondering how a 7'6" white guy who hadn't played in two years was going to make them better.
I remember how the Sixers said he was an "athlete" because he played pickup baseball or something and made contact with the ball and that he watered skiied as a pastime I mean for his height he wasn't a Manute Bol stiff or anything but he wasn't some Bo Jackson jock either like they tried to make fans all excited over.

The most hilarious Sixers story was how Harold Katz tried out/played against Sharone Wright in his driveway at his home and that is why he drafted him...awesome scouting method

The Harold Katz years were just one gaffe after another after the 83 championship. I still remember Barkley making fun of Charles Shackleford by stating that the Magic had the real Shaq while he had Shackleford.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:19 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Down 3 pts with 29 seconds left, Hawes misses point blank layup.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
FLYguy3911

they covered though

Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Bynum to have surgery on both knees. lol.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Bynum to have surgery on both knees. lol.
To me this is 'whatever'. The season was a lost cause a few weeks back. They took a big swing and unfortunately missed.

What bothers me more right now is the team is suddenly playing well. They've won 3 of 4, with two of the wins against good teams. So they're back to fighting their way into the middle- not good enough to be relevant and not bad enough to get relevant. Spencer Hawes,poster boy of all the Sixers' ills, is playing like an all-star for a few games to ruin their chances of tanking before inevitably disappearing amidst a shroud of long 2's.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
snoop88

neither the sixers or flyers can tank properly

brutal. mediocrity reigns

Closed Thread