HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Moller

Old
02-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Moller

How's he doing?

A couple of years back he was touted as the next Alfredsson, do you still see something like that in him?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
How's he doing?

A couple of years back he was touted as the next Alfredsson, do you still see something like that in him?

Big No.......

He is doing fine but he will not be that special.
Right now he is centering Ivanans and Segal to
work on his defensive play.
Some might think this is a good way but i think
that will do the same damage as to Brown,Frolov etc....
He will pic up this Board battle style and lose all his creativity.

I can see some comments in 2 years when the Fans complaining
about Moller ha no offensive game.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Big No.......

He is doing fine but he will not be that special.
Right now he is centering Ivanans and Segal to
work on his defensive play.
Some might think this is a good way but i think
that will do the same damage as to Brown,Frolov etc....
He will pic up this Board battle style and lose all his creativity.

I can see some comments in 2 years when the Fans complaining
about Moller ha no offensive game.
I highly disagree. Moller has always had the scorers touch and that's something that's hard to lose. You can see while most of his goals aren't pretty they go in the net. It has been a lot tougher this year as he has not seen the PP time that he saw last year. He has seen some with Handzus and Frolov as a high man, but a player in his position is best going to be used around the net.

His game will eventually translate into an NHL game, as he doesn't play as a small player and he's a coach's favorite, because of the way he plays. Last year's Kings team was a bad team in which Moller was able to contribute, and you have to remember that he is still young. Give him time and you'll see that once he picks up some confidence his game will grow. He's a lot better than Teddy Purcell and later in the season(If he's still on the Kings) he'll be a large part of a fourth line in my opinion.

I know numbers aren't a huge deal but Wayne Simmonds had 23 points last season in 82 games, and Oscar had 15 in 40. His play took a hit after his injury at the World Juniors, hopefully he can get back on the same track then. He just turned 21, I wouldn't be surprised that in two years he's around the 25 goal mark.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Moller is doing just fine.

He is on schedule.

His speed is giving him opportunities in both zones. His courage is intoxicating. Moller will be a 20 goal scorer next season.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Nordic*

Who does he resemble? I've hardly even seen him apart from last years WJC, and he was a huge disappointment during that tourny.

Old
02-06-2010, 05:01 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

People have forgotten how innately talented Moller is. He has some of the best raw skill on the entire team. Explosive speed, sick hands, and a laser for a shot.

He's just too small right now. But Simmonds was a little light last year, remember? I'm pretty confident Moller can put on 20lbs. over the next two to three years and become a force on this team. Top six RW or even C within the next five years. Book it.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Who does he resemble?
I see flashes of Theo Fleury from time to time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:55 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
I think Möller is forcing GM Lombardi to keep him up in the NHL. The Kid is all heart. I think that Möller is a bit missused and I don't think he will be playing center in the future.

I still believe the kid is the next Alfredsson.

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

I like his play a lot. I guess Flurey is fair to compare him too. (hopefully minus all that drama). As the poster above said he's got a lot of heart, he'll be a great player in this league. He'll be a 25 maybe 30 goal scorer and fan fav. in his career.

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
How's he doing?

... I don't see that; the Kings aren't as bad as the Senators were when Alfredsson was a rookie, so Moller doesn't get that prime ice time that Alfredsson did to show what he can do.

I saw a few real flashes of skill from Moller a season ago -- he had a nice passing touch, he had a knack for being in the scoring areas. I don't see that from him now as much as I did last season. Perhaps he's regressed a little bit? His ice time has decreased to about 9 minutes a game, and his responsibilities away from the puck are pretty minimal, yet he has the second-worst plus minus on the team. He's been terrible on faceoffs as well.

I think Moller is destined to be a victim of numbers in the Kings organization unless some drastic changes in the team's structure are made. I want to like Oscar as a player, but I'm not as optimistic about his future as I was a year ago.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
VictoryRose

man, some big dreaming going on here.

If Moller averages 25/35/60 for the course of his career, lets say starting next year until retirement, it will be a massive success.

These Alfie comparisons are just nauseating.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:00 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Explosive speed

haha, what?

Dean sent skating coaches, dvd's, instructions, etc to Chilliwack for Moller to work on his skating during his last year in Jrs because it was so concerning. Just because he is small and has a good lateral move in between the blue lines does not make him "explosive" by any stretch of the imagination. Even HF's scouting report doesn't report that, and they're notorious for tagging that on anyone under 5'10"

Explosive, or even fast, Oscar is not. The Kings have coaches that still skate faster than Oscar.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

When watching Moller, I'm more reminded of Daniel Briere and his development. Briere was always thought to be undersized but he played a fearless game. Most people knew he had the talent but doubted his strength and size to succeed in the NHL.

After bouncing around for four seasons, he finally hit his stride as a 24 year old. The Coyotes prematurely gave up on him (he was dealt to Buffalo for Chris Gratton) and his career took off with the Sabres.

Right now it seems as though that Moller is being used as a utility player who can be plugged anywhere in the lineup. He does exactly what his coaches tell him to do and you'll never hear any complaints from him. He's a true competitor and I think he has the tenacity and will to succeed in the NHL.

I don't think he'll be an Alfredsson, but I think he can be a versatile forward who can play center/wing, be defensively responsible and net 20-25 goals and 50 points on a consistent level. I love how fearless he is on the ice. He'll take his bumps and bruises and keep coming back for more.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
BringTheReign

Moller is doing great. A few fans might just be spoiled by lightning-quick development of certain prospects, ie Simmonds and Doughty,and may say Moller is behind or not playing to expectations. He gets 4th line ice time right now to work on defense and grit, and when a spot opens up on a higher line or the 2nd PP unit I see him fitting him in quite nicely. Kid's got a lot of fight in him.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Everyone is forgetting one of the key comparisons with Moller/Alfressdon: LEADERSHIP.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Ideally, Moller needed to be in the AHL for a few years. The Kings were crap though and he was the best option. Once the NHL roster fills out we will have time to develop our good prospects properly.

He wouls still be in the AHL if it wasn't for the injury to Williams and the uninspired play of Purcell.

I still think he will turn out to be a Brian Gionta type with some extra intangibles in the grit department.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Next year when he is off the 4th line, he will light it up.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Moller is basically in a similar situation as Richie was earlier in the season.

Oscar just needs to play with skilled linemates and he'll start lighting it up.

Even with limited minutes on the 4th line, the guy always finds a way to get himself a scoring chance every game. I'm hoping, TM will move him up from the 4th line, but then again, where?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

he does get some limited pp time, and you can really see his creativity and his nose for the net.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

He's one of the only players on the team who straight up walks the puck from the half-wall to the slot for a shot.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
VictoryRose

I love Oscar, but the comparisons to Alfie are pretty much only because they're both Swedish.

Mikko Koivu (minus a few inches) is a way more accurate comparison.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
haha, what?

Dean sent skating coaches, dvd's, instructions, etc to Chilliwack for Moller to work on his skating during his last year in Jrs because it was so concerning. Just because he is small and has a good lateral move in between the blue lines does not make him "explosive" by any stretch of the imagination. Even HF's scouting report doesn't report that, and they're notorious for tagging that on anyone under 5'10"

Explosive, or even fast, Oscar is not. The Kings have coaches that still skate faster than Oscar.
Well, I guess it worked. He, Richie, and Brown are the fastest skaters on the team.

And could you provide a link to some scouting source that cited Moller's skating as a negative? I've never ever heard that before and am inclined not to believe you, considering how well he skates today.

Moller's biggest knock, from draft to today, has been his size. If he was two inches taller and 20lbs. heavier, he would have been drafted top ten.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

How fitting that this thread come up now. Oscar is the Kings spotlight player today.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
How fitting that this thread come up now. Oscar is the Kings spotlight player today.
With a whopping 05:36 in icetime

Old
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
He reminds me of Martin Straka. He has that slight hitch in his stride where it looks like he's running. He's small, gets knocked down but at least he goes into the areas where you do get knocked down. I think he'll put on some muscle and then you'll see the jump in stats. I see him as a future 2nd line center in the NHL, only question is will it be for the Kings or another NHL team? And he's got that smile with the tooth missing where you can see there is a little bit of crazy in there. I like a little bit of crazy.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote