HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#5]

View Poll Results: #5 Red Wings Prospect
(F) Joakim Andersson 1 2.70%
(F) Cory Emmerton 0 0%
(F) Landon Ferraro 10 27.03%
(F) Andrej Nestrasil 0 0%
(F) Gustav Nyquist 20 54.05%
(F) Mattias Ritola 2 5.41%
(D) Adam Almqvist 2 5.41%
(D) Brian Lashoff 0 0%
(G) Daniel Larsson 1 2.70%
(G) Thomas McCollum 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
r0bert8841

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
No doubt Mursak is doing well now, but should he really be top-5? He just screams of "what have you done for me lately?"
But he is doing it at the closest level to the NHL, he is leading all Red Wing AHL prospects in scoring and is 3rd on the Griffins, and when you watch the Griffins he is the most dominant player on the ice. And it is very important to stress he is doing this in the AHL, which is much more skilled and physically than any other NA league besides NHL.

And the same case could be made for Tatar. Also Mursak has done exceptionally well every year except for his first season in the AHL.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Don't get me wrong I agree with everything you are say, but it seems like the Wings are pretty high on him and the Wings usually try hard not to lose players on waivers. I don't think he should be on the team but he will most likely be on a NHL team by next season. He didn't look out of place in his call up, he actually looked alot better than he does in GR. I did not expect Ritola to looked as good as he did, but I could say the same about Howard too. Who knows.
Unless a player is 1v1 skilled well above the level of play, they need good linemates. Ritola on a checking line will need, as said, physical help. He can protect the puck and move it, but I doubt he is a successful player as a defensive forward. That is not the book on this guy. That said, if he can get Filp to feed him or Helm to push the d back and give him space to attack the net, he may just flourish. I am on the fence, but hopeful, when it comes to the cough drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Ritola can definitely play on a defensive line. I just hope that he has guys with him who aren't shy about dishing out physical contact.
I am not so sure Ritola can body up and play defense at the NHL"shutdown" level. Maltby and Raper are not considered overly physical players and Ijust don't see Ritola able to match their production. That said, and you note it well, with a physical group, like Helm, he could thrive. He will be the player in focus, and on the bubble, in this falls camp.

Quote:
I was thinking about him playing next season with Hudler. I really hope Huds is stronger and faster because that could be huge! Or big Bert, or Abby!

Datsyuk-Zetts-Cleary
Franzen-Filp-Bert
Hudler-Abby-Ritola
Homer-Helm-Eaves/Miller

I can see Abby just break out on a line with 2 players makers like that. Hopefully he can regain his scoring touch in GR.
WHOA!!!! I have notread that hudler is coming back to Detroit. I hope so, but that may be jumping the gun. Another 5 mill tax free will behard to pass up to honor the deal in Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
No doubt Mursak is doing well now, but should he really be top-5? He just screams of "what have you done for me lately?"
No doubt Mursak was not only not in the top 10 last year, but he was a healthy scratch in 25%of the games and in the post season. (He didn't even make the clear day roster). He is doign well and the positive, bright light is on the guy, but he needs to carry this Grif team into the post season and/or finish at the same high level he has been playing at to date.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfolks View Post
... or not. He will certainly get his shot, but I don't think the Wings need, or even should, carry a player for fear of losing them to the waiver he does not fit into the opening season plans. I do think he will earn a longer look, but I am not sold on this guy as an NHL level player. He has never played at a + in Grand Rapids and has never really had a break out year. His point totals were not bad last year and he is doing OK this season. I think more was expected of him as a shooter. I am on the fence with this guy. No way he can play on a checking/defensive line so the question becomes can he play on the 2nd or 3rd line. I question it, but he didwell in last year's camp and a good center makes all the difference in the world for a player such as him.
You sound like Go Wings, man Ritola led the Grifs with a +10 in 07-08 And he can easily play on a defensive line. He's a regular PKer and performs his duties well.

Ritola is a skill player, definitely the type that plays better with better skill around him. He often plays with little skill on his line in GR. I think we'll see him starting out on the 4th line next year in Detroit and working his way up to the 3rd.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
WHOA!!!! I have notread that hudler is coming back to Detroit. I hope so, but that may be jumping the gun. Another 5 mill tax free will behard to pass up to honor the deal in Detroit.
I remember reading somewhere that Hudler was unhappy with the KHL but idk maybe not. Hudler said coming back certainly is an option so personally I have been putting my money on it.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
I was thinking about him playing next season with Hudler. I really hope Huds is stronger and faster because that could be huge! Or big Bert, or Abby!

Datsyuk-Zetts-Cleary
Franzen-Filp-Bert
Hudler-Abby-Ritola
Homer-Helm-Eaves/Miller

I can see Abby just break out on a line with 2 players makers like that. Hopefully he can regain his scoring touch in GR.
I might just cry if Hudler does come back and he gets stuck with Abdlekader as his center

Old
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
You sound like Go Wings, man Ritola led the Grifs with a +10 in 07-08 And he can easily play on a defensive line. He's a regular PKer and performs his duties well.

Ritola is a skill player, definitely the type that plays better with better skill around him. He often plays with little skill on his line in GR. I think we'll see him starting out on the 4th line next year in Detroit and working his way up to the 3rd.
I stand corrected. He was a +10, then a -13 (and -3 in the post season ) and a -9 to date this season. I also stated he is the type of player who would play better with skill around him. As for the Go Wings comment it was you, not I, that entertained the guy. You still lead that board in posts by over 2000. <I near abandoned hokey talk months before you did. I just ranton about politics and post hot women pics!

Old
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
As for the Go Wings comment it was you, not I, that entertained the guy. You still lead that board in posts by over 2000. <I near abandoned hokey talk months before you did. I just ranton about politics and post hot women pics!
Yeah really what happened over at RWC? GW, Evul and Resmo aren't that annoying... Right?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
heyfolks

I still enjoy the board. A few people, and I include Jaster and myself, ran some of the focus astray. I stopped entertaining the many trollish creations of Newsie, but others felt putting them on ignore was some how wrong. IMO, this started the downfall of engaged discussion. When a group started turning every thread into some satire on drinking, or some other repeated theme, it was was the catalyst behind me posting less on the Wing threads.

I am now finding other boards to discuss politics(though I still do post mostlyin the Real World thread), but I still enjoy the members and do post HOT WOMEN on most days (general principle matter ).

RWC does have the best links to articles and Matt does a great job with the prospects.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Yeah really what happened over at RWC? GW, Evul and Resmo aren't that annoying... Right?
Resmo is fine by me. Go Wings and Evul just have a bad combination of low intellect and vociferous opinions. Euroman too, but he posts so little, and is so extreme, that he's just funny. Lately, it seems those three have spawned minions too.

In addition, several of the best posters have disappeared this past year.

Quote:
I still enjoy the board. A few people, and I include Jaster and myself, ran some of the focus astray. I stopped entertaining the many trollish creations of Newsie, but others felt putting them on ignore was some how wrong. IMO, this started the downfall of engaged discussion. When a group started turning every thread into some satire on drinking, or some other repeated theme, it was was the catalyst behind me posting less on the Wing threads.

I am now finding other boards to discuss politics(though I still do post mostlyin the Real World thread), but I still enjoy the members and do post HOT WOMEN on most days (general principle matter ).

RWC does have the best links to articles and Matt does a great job with the prospects.
Yeah, RWC is still easily the best Red Wings prospect site on the web. It blows HF away. It's just the message board that has gone downhill.

(sorry for the Go Wings comparison btw, you didn't deserve that )

Old
02-10-2010, 08:42 PM
heyfolks

I agree that a group of good posters have left not only that site, but the Wing boards in general. As for the GW comment, it did hurt a little, but we are still good. If he is not Newsie, I would be shocked.