HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Habs of Today

Old
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
FeelsLike93

vCash: 500
Our Habs of Today

I was going through some habs blog and came across this one, I decided to post it because its the general consensus of where the Montreal Canadiens are right now and where we need to go from here (also because this board will be really slow the next couple weeks). It's an opinion of the team we all share and its a good read. I won't post the whole blog considering its pretty lengthy, but its the 1st blog titled "Aftermath: Sadness". The other blogs under it are definitely worth a read..

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:17 PM
HomaridII

Very good blog .. lol

Whoever wrote that should be GM lol

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:25 PM
wally weir

Good read. I agree overall with the assessment of our team. Unfortunately, off season moves to improve defense and our bottom 6 will be limited because of salary cap issues. I figure that to retain Plekanec we will have to let Spacek go (which is fine with me.). To acquire the grit we would have to work out trades because there is not much of that in our pipeline.

wally weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
walsy37

I agree with this guy 100% - the Martin thing is not a shock to anyone. When he was hired there was a collective no. His game does not work in the post-lockout era. I can't understand what the Habs see in him. Usually, I would say that hockey management knows better than the fans but in Martin's case, just look at his record as coach and GM over the last 4 years. Anyone see anything positive?

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
FeelsLike93

Everything he talks about is pretty much what we rant about on the board here day in and day out but its easier said then done. This process will take another '5 years' to get where we want to be (assuming we have the right management to make the right moves) until then I dont see us sinking into last place yearly, but improving little by little from now up until 5 years

Old
02-14-2010, 07:24 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Wow, excellent blog. Agree with pretty much everything he said.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:41 PM
MtlSportsFan

Very rarely post but this blog deserves recognition.....excellent.

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Seriously good read.

I agree with all of it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
FeelsLike93

glad to see everyone enjoys it and the whole board has pretty much the same thoughts about our habs

gooood stufff

Old
02-14-2010, 08:14 PM
crystal ball

I know who writes that blog. I'll pass on to her that you guys liked it.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Kjell Dahlin

The blogger assumes Martin is a bad coach for Montreal; I disagree... the team was poorly built (Gainey is out btw) and Martin never "played with a complete toolbox" due to injuries - we still are in the midst of a tight playoffs race nonetheless - I am not implying that Martin is beyond reproaches, far from it, but putting most/all the blame on the coach in the current context is... short-sighted at best imo.

I will reserve judgement (coach) until the Canadiens play with a full line-up during more than 10 games.

So far, I really like what Martin is doing with our youth (Halak/Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, O'Byrne, Pouliot, Subban) and, as mentioned by Pierre Gauthier, the foundations are in place and look great (forget the combinations for a moment... the following seems like a very solid line-up):

Pouliot (23 years old) - Gomez (30) - Gionta (31)
Cammalleri (27) - Plekanec (27) - A. Kostitsyn (25)
Moen (27) - Moore (29) - S. Kostitsyn (22)
Darche (33) - Lapierre (24) - White (21)

Bergeron (29), Metropolit (35)

Markov (31) - O'Byrne (25)
Hamrlik (35) - Subban (20)
Spacek (36) - Gorges (25)

Gill (34), Bergeron (29)

Halak (24)
Price (22)

Let's be honest here: despite all the injuries, this team is still fighting for a playoffs spot. In case you missed it or misunderstood a thing or two... the Flyers are strong team and we faced them without Markov, Cammalleri, Pouliot, A. Kostitsyn and our 5th best point scorer Marc-André Bergeron.

Sure I hope for more size upfront (1-2 player(s)) but, imo, Pierre Gauthier is right: the foundations are solid.

That J.T. blogger is a big time demagogue imo!

Blaming the coach ("... Jacques Martin has to go..."; what about some stability - as opposed to Gainey's era - behind the bench for a freakin' change!?) or the fabric of the team (change defence/overhaul top6 forwards) is so easy... Gauthier took the helm 6 days ago... let's give him some times before he can fix Gainey's mistakes.

"Doom and gloom" is often misinterpret as objectivity. Imo.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
coolasprICE

Interesting. I just don't know how we are supposed to get rid of Spacek.
Bury his contract in the minors?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:34 PM
FeelsLike93

ur claiming the team is 'poorly built' but then saying we have a 'strong foundation'.. ur contradicting urself, it can only be one of the two. And when we had a healthier lineup (with cammy n pouliot) remember when we were one of the worst team at scoring 5on5? ..Yeah well thats still gonna be a problem when we got a full healthy roster.

Old
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
ur claiming the team is 'poorly built' but then saying we have a 'strong foundation'.. ur contradicting urself, it can only be one of the two. And when we had a healthier lineup (with cammy n pouliot) remember when we were one of the worst team at scoring 5on5? ..Yeah well thats still gonna be a problem when we got a full healthy roster.

I am not contradicting myself: something can be "poorly built" while having strong foundations.

For example: a team can be built (foundation) around Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gomez (good and gifted players in their prime) but it is a mistake (poorly built) to include all - undersized - of them in your top 6 at the same time. It's a question of complementary input.

I think the foundations are solid but it requires "tweaking". Luckily for us, we have sound trading chips: Price or Halak, youth or, with the emergence of Subban, a roster D.

As for "... And when we had a healthier lineup (with cammy n pouliot) remember when we were one of the worst team at scoring 5on5? ..Yeah well thats still gonna be a problem when we got a full healthy roster.", I am not sure what you mean. As I mentioned:

Regarding the coach, I will reserve judgement until the Canadiens play with a full line-up during more than 10 games.

Regarding Gauthier: he took the helm 6 days ago... let's give him some time before he can fix Gainey's mistakes.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote