HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

fisher a 2nd line center?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
fisher a 2nd line center?

I dont know about anyone else, but i cant make up my mind as far as what should be done with fish. He is a hardcore checker, but obviously has the wheels and touch around the net to get his tip ins. I think with a strong LW, he could very easily slip into that 2nd center role, as long as we could find an adequate fit for the 3rd line. What are your opinions?

Old
04-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Russian_fanatic

Yep a second liner yep . A second liner who can win ALOT of Selke's and get 20-30 goals , last year he came close .

Old
04-26-2004, 05:31 AM
slusher

I'd agree. We're only beggining to see all that Fish has to offer. He could potentially be a very dynamic player. I think he's the future captain of this team and is untouchable in terms of trades and free agency.

That said, he's probably only a third line center at this point in his career. It's not because of ability per se. He just fits on a line geared towards defense and energy, chipping in the occasional goal. Spezza has to be a second line center next season. A free agent center for Alfredsson is a priority. That leaves Fish in a third line role for now. Just for now though. If we fail to acquire a center for Alfredsson then Fish could end up being a first line center. He's more likely to play with Alfredsson than Spezza. He did some this year when he came back from injury and White was out with the broken foot.

I'd like to see Fish wearing an "A" on his sweater next season.

Old
04-26-2004, 07:49 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

IMHO he's the perfect 3rd line centre who I hope will get more responsibility next year in checking the other teams top line.

Old
04-26-2004, 07:56 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
IMHO he's the perfect 3rd line centre who I hope will get more responsibility next year in checking the other teams top line.

Agreed...he's a 3rd liner with 2nd line fill in capabilities. Fisher is more similar to Mike Peca than most people give him credit for.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Agreed...he's a 3rd liner with 2nd line fill in capabilities. Fisher is more similar to Mike Peca than most people give him credit for.
That's who he reminds me a lot of...except he's quicker and obviously younger.

I think on most team's he'd be a #2 center...but Spezza has top priority right now and grabbing a real #1 center should be high on our list of things to do this summer.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Hossa

Quote:
He's similar to Peca for sure, but he's also bigger, faster (especially with Peca's knee being destroyed now) and he has better hands as well.

The way I look at it, is that we'll most likely have three scoring lines next year anyways. Havlat, Hossa and Alfie all need to play on a scoring line, although there is a possibility one could move to LW. If not, it's three scoring lines and Fisher is without a doubt going to be on one of those lines.

Old
04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
VanCanuck

He brings some good things to the table. I would give him at least a chance to play as a second liner in some exhibition games. He doesn't get the credit he really deserves!

Old
04-27-2004, 08:16 AM
chara

Terrific grit but his energy would be best suited as a checking center - future Selke nominee.

IMO, Fish, like a lot of other Sens, had an abundance of energy but no true focus to his game. If you watch the San Jose Sharks, a less talented team than the Sens, each player understands their role. If Fish were given a Mike Peca or John Madden type role, this guy would absolutely thrive and create a lot more offence in tight checking games.

Old
04-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
If you watch the San Jose Sharks, a less talented team than the Sens, each player understands their role. If Fish were given a Mike Peca or John Madden type role, this guy would absolutely thrive and create a lot more offence in tight checking games.
I had Schaefer pegged for that role, but they'd make a great PK pairing.

Old
04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Safir*

Prototypical 3rd line Center, but he has the upside of a 2nd liner.

Old
04-27-2004, 10:24 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
I second this motion.
I like Fisher a lot better on the 3rd line than a 2nd line. I think his defense and energy are more important than his offense. Not to say that he doesn't have the skills for it.
We'd also have to consider what more ice time on a 2nd line might do to his game.
- More ice time... might = tired (less hits), or more injuries (to a player who's already had more than his fair share)
- Expecting more offense... might also change his game substantially.
What's Cherry's saying? ... "You come into the NHL a pusher. Start thinking you're a rusher. And end up an usher."

Closed Thread