HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who are the Sellers?

Old
02-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Who are the Sellers?

There are a whole lot of teams still in the hunt, and we're now a very short distance away from the deadline with the Olympic break coming up. Teams need to decide very fast whether they're going to be buyers or sellers. Which teams do you think are going to be sellers?

For instance, Boston may be in 9th right now, but I can't image they'll be sellers.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
MojoJojo

I predict NJ sells Kovalchuk at the deadline for a better return than what they gave up to get him.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Peter Griffin

I think there may be as many as 6 teams in the West that could be deemed sellers and three, maybe four in the East. The obvious sellers are Edmonton, Carolina and Toronto, but I also think that Columbus, Islanders, Blues, Panthers, Ducks and Wild could sell to varying degrees.

I think we may see more deals similar to the ones the Ducks made last season where impending UFA's were dealt for younger roster players and not picks/prospects.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
...and there are teams which will do both.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
FanHabtic

I think if injuries persist the Habs will be in the seller group. The players to sell off would include:

Gill / Mara
Pleks (if he's not gonna re-sign)
MAB
S.Kostitsyn
Lapierre
Metropolit

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I predict NJ sells Kovalchuk at the deadline for a better return than what they gave up to get him.
I bet Lou could if he wanted to, but it won't happen.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It would seem likely that Toronto and Carolina will sell in the East and that Columbus and Edmonton will sell in the West. The rest of 'em are so tightly packed... a case can be made in either direction. I would expect the Isles to be the next on the list with their recent struggles. And I think St. Louis should be looking at selling but with how they finished last season, they may be hesitant to do so thinking they can recapture that feat.

More importantly... who are the clear buyers and what are the looking for? Supply and demand rules apply, particularly at the NHL deadline and especially for NHL-level defensemen.

02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Oilers, Canes, Bruins, Islanders, Leafs, Jackets, and Blues.

Possibly Devils too if they keep losing.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
BeaverSports

Nobody mentioned the Stars, but they will be active, most likely selling.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:27 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

The Jackets are in an odd situation where they could sell or buy.

I guess the simple answer is both. I'm sure they'd like to trade Filatov for a #1 Dman and they'd probably like to sell Torres...but who knows.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
That would be insanely hilarious!
Wouldn't that make Atlanta look foolish? Jeez...

NJ is a deep enough team that they could afford to just trade him for a top-4 dman + 1st rounder and a damn good prospect or two.

I don't believe that's going to happen... but if it did... it would be a trade people would remember for a very long time.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

I think we may see more deals similar to the ones the Ducks made last season where impending UFA's were dealt for younger roster players and not picks/prospects.
In Edmonton's case I agree when it comes to guys like Gilbert, Lubo and Souray. But if Edmonton were trading away guys like Moreau, Staios, Grebs or O'Sullivan; I imagine they'd be hoping for picks and prospects to get rid of the salary.

Old
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I think if injuries persist the Habs will be in the seller group. The players to sell off would include:

Gill / Mara
I think they'll hold onto mara

Old
02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post

I guess the simple answer is both. I'm sure they'd like to trade Filatov for a #1 Dman and they'd probably like to sell Torres...but who knows.
Howson was on XM radio just last week and essentially admitted that it's going to be unlikely that they make a push for the playoffs...they're selling. They are 9 points out and they've played more games than anyone in the NHL this year.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Needless to say, if the Blues don't come back and score three goals in the next ten minutes and find a way to win this game, its likely they will be.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:46 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Howson was on XM radio just last week and essentially admitted that it's going to be unlikely that they make a push for the playoffs...they're selling. They are 9 points out and they've played more games than anyone in the NHL this year.
Fredrik Modin and Raffi Torres might get you a 2nd and a 3rd if you're lucky.. unless they really want to take their team apart and start trading the core I don't see them making a lot of moves.

Old
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
schumway2

Quote:

Gill / Mara
MAB
S.Kostitsyn
Lapierre
Metropolit
Not a chance in hell. The Canadiens have never been sellers at the deadline and they certainly won't now that they've hired a new GM.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Blues will probably be moving Colaiacavo and Kariya. Weaver or Sydor if anyone needs a 7th defenseman. Tkachuk if he wants to have another shot at a cup.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
volgrad1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
That would be insanely hilarious!
Wouldn't that make Atlanta look foolish? Jeez...

NJ is a deep enough team that they could afford to just trade him for a top-4 dman + 1st rounder and a damn good prospect or two.

I don't believe that's going to happen... but if it did... it would be a trade people would remember for a very long time.
Actually, this post is insanely hilarious......that is EXACTLY what the Thrashers got FROM the Devils for Kovy .

volgrad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:28 PM
phillipmike

Leafs arent the traditional sellers. Kessel, Schenn and Phaneuf are not going anywhere. The Leafs wont move Beauchemin, Komisarek and Giguere because they were recently added. And to a lesser degree i cant see them moving Hanson, Stalberg, Bozak, Kadri, Kulemin, Gustavsson, Gunnarsson or any prospects of value. Sjostrom, Orr and Mitchell are decent role players and are nice to have.

Finger has zero trade value.

Kaberle and Grabovski are players with value that can be moved but arent likely to be moved, maybe in the off-season.

I am almost certain the following would be traded for picks and prospects:

C Wayne Primeau
W Alexei Ponikarovsky
W Lee Stempniak
D Garnett Exelby

However, the Leafs wont be afraid to make a deal to get some players at the deadline that fit their long-term plans.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post

I don't think that situation is that odd this year, but rather the number of teams in that situation is odd. So many teams are right in the thick of the playoff race in both conferences that it complicates things with regards to player movement. We might see a lot of movement of impending free agents, but it will mainly be for roster players rather than picks and prospects.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
Leafs arent the traditional sellers. Kessel, Schenn and Phaneuf are not going anywhere. The Leafs wont move Beauchemin, Komisarek and Giguere because they were recently added. And to a lesser degree i cant see them moving Hanson, Stalberg, Bozak, Kadri, Kulemin, Gustavsson, Gunnarsson or any prospects of value. Sjostrom, Orr and Mitchell are decent role players and are nice to have.

Finger has zero trade value.

Kaberle and Grabovski are players with value that can be moved but arent likely to be moved, maybe in the off-season.

I am almost certain the following would be traded for picks and prospects:

C Wayne Primeau
W Alexei Ponikarovsky
W Lee Stempniak
D Garnett Exelby

However, the Leafs wont be afraid to make a deal to get some players at the deadline that fit their long-term plans.
Having a quarter of the roster open for bid is being a seller.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Pringles

Senators are sellers...but only selling Cheechoo and Lee

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:

Gill / Mara
MAB
S.Kostitsyn
Lapierre
Metropolit
And why exactly would the Habs be sellers at the deadline? Considering were sitting in the playoffs and doing so WITHOUT our top 3 goal scorers in AK, Cams and Pouliot. If anything, I only want some contracts moved out to help free up some cap space.. Spacek, Hamrlik, Mara and Lapierre are the ones I'd clear out, not all but maybe 2 of them. The thing that scares me tho, Gauthier will come in and make us SELLERS! That scares the crap outta me.. Ideally move 1 big contract on D, resign Pleks to 4M@4-5yrs and resign BOTH goalies to total about 3.5M-4M(look at Quicks contract in LA). Then next year bring up Subban and Weber or Carle. But I have a feeling a couple important pieces will be moved out at the deadline or draft, and the thing that scares me is we'll get crap in return.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
ontheDB

T.O.

Your typical sellers are teams unlikely to make the playoffs, and make trades that hurt their team this year, but make them better for future years.

Toronto wouldn't be your typical seller; one could argue they've been acting like buyers. Sure they'd want to get rid of their UFAs, but because Boston has their first round picks, they don't necessary want to have a less competitive team. As in, they won't want to trade their NHL-level players for prospects/picks.

Their only significant UFAs left are Ponikarovsky & Stemniak (I think).
Kaberle is a nice carrot their dangling, but their not pressured to move him yet.
But just like their last few major trades (Phaneuf, Giguere, Kessel), it would seem that they would want players that give them immediate help.

ontheDB is offline   Reply With Quote