HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider #1 Play on Sportscenter, in Beanpot Final Game (BC Won 4-3) YT #3

Old
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Don't focus on the original video in super slo mo - watch the NESN link that shows it at full speed.

You will be impressed.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah, me too - that was clearly slooooooowed down on replay. I'd love to see it in real time.
I was at the game and I can tell you the kid is fast and has sick stick skills. He reminds me of VanRiemsdyk with more speed. The kid he beat, NicCastro, is a pretty good player too but he clearly lost his shorts on that play.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I was at the game and I can tell you the kid is fast and has sick stick skills. He reminds me of VanRiemsdyk with more speed. The kid he beat, NicCastro, is a pretty good player too but he clearly lost his shorts on that play.
B's fan here who has lived in Boston all his life. That was the greatest goal in the Beanpot(not Bean Pot guys) in the last 30 years. I've watched Kreider a decent amount now. I can tell you w/o a doubt he is going to be the best two way winger
to ever come out of Boston (better than Amonte or Guerin). Do you guys know what you are watching? As long as he doesn't get injured, he will w/o question be playing for the Rangers at the end of next year.

Steve Leach walked onto the Caps after his frosh year at UNH and Thachuk came into the NHL at 19/20. Kreider w/o a doubt will do the same thing. This kid has the potential to be a 1st line LW on a good team. He has as much potential as JVR if not more.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
B's fan here who has lived in Boston all his life. That was the greatest goal in the Beanpot(not Bean Pot guys) in the last 30 years. I've watched Kreider a decent amount now. I can tell you w/o a doubt he is going to be the best two way winger
to ever come out of Boston (better than Amonte or Guerin). Do you guys know what you are watching? As long as he doesn't get injured, he will w/o question be playing for the Rangers at the end of next year.

Steve Leach walked onto the Caps after his frosh year at UNH and Thachuk came into the NHL at 19/20. Kreider w/o a doubt will do the same thing. This kid has the potential to be a 1st line LW on a good team. He has as much potential as JVR if not more.
Wow, that's saying a lot. Honestly, I've always viewed him as potentially being a solid 2nd line player who will take advantage of second pairing defensemen with his speed.

I was very impressed with him in the WJ's though. He was probably the fastest skater in that entire tournament and scored some key goals. I noticed that he only has 3 assists this season, but from what I saw in that tournament is he can pass the puck pretty well.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Levitate

He needs to learn to be more assertive out there, but that will hopefully come with time.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Really?

Guy is going at full speed with the puck, which is faster then anyone on the ice, while at full speed he pulls off a ridiculous move around the defender, then he fakes a forehand shot on the goalie, and tucks it in on the backhand in the couple inches of space left.

That is not impressive? Alrighty then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LOL. How can you post that?

He deked out one of the better young d-men in college hockey. Deked him out of his entire set of equipment.

They are still trying to find the guy's ankles!

I'm sure you could do that, too
Sorry but that's a move forwards try all the time and as Kreider even said in the interview, it rarely works... Why should I be super impressed over him pulling off some low-probability play? The move he pulled on the goaltender coming in all alone wasn't that impressive by itself... Had he pulled some spectacular move on the goalie in addition to that move to beat the defender, that's a different story....

After hearing this was Sportscenter's #1 play prior to seeing the highlight on YouTube, I was bit disappointed.

Edit: just watched the NESN.com replay that shows it in full speed, slightly more impressive than the YouTube video shows it be.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-09-2010 at 07:17 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sorry but that's a move forwards try all the time and as Kreider even said in the interview, it rarely works... Why should I be super impressed over him pulling off some low-probability play? The move he pulled on the goaltender coming in all alone wasn't that impressive by itself... Had he pulled some spectacular move on the goalie in addition to that move to beat the defender, that's a different story....

After hearing this was Sportscenter's #1 play prior to seeing the highlight on YouTube, I was bit disappointed.

Edit: just watched the NESN.com replay that shows it in full speed, slightly more impressive than the YouTube video shows it be.
Anytime you see an amazing move a player pulls off on a defenseman it is a low-probability play..if it wasn't then the move wouldn't be amazing. So i'm not sure what you were expecting...a simple deke left, right, left and have the defenseman fall down so he could skate around him?

Were you not amazed of the Malik shootout goal? Talk about a low-probability shootout attempt.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the ability to actually make a low probability play is what makes it so awesome. theres nothing awesome about making high probability plays.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Come on guys I know both of you know that's not an extremely skilled play to beat that defender and is very lucky to pull off... It's a forced situational play... Lets not harp on my use of the word "probability" and forget about some of the other highlight real goals we've seen from prospects around the league... If you had to rank some of them, I wouldn't rank this one very high that's all I'm saying....

The fact that this play was #1 on ESPN tells me there weren't very many good highlights on that day in sports... Sure I like this goal but hockey very seldom makes it on the Top 10 let alone 1....

He's probably scored prettier goals than this before...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-09-2010 at 11:40 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Come on guys I know both of you know that's not an extremely skilled play to beat that defender and is very lucky to pull off... It's a forced situational play... Lets not harp on my use of the word "probability" and forget about some of the other highlight real goals we've seen from prospects around the league... If you had to rank some of them, I wouldn't rank this one very high that's all I'm saying....

The fact that this play was #1 on ESPN tells me there weren't very many good highlights on that day in sports... Sure I like this goal but hockey very seldom makes it on the Top 10 let alone 1....

Didn't think it was THAT much to rave about either, however, still a better goal than anyone on the Rangers scores.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Edge

Frankly, Kreider's year has gone exactly as one would hope.

He's been adjusting and improving as the season goes on and he's had great experiences (and performances) at the WJC and and Bean Pot.

He's got a very legit shot at being a scoring winger. It's nice just the speed, it's the size he brings with it.

He's still learning how to put it all together, but this is a kid who could easily be 6'2, 210 and have elite level speed.

I don't think he's going to be an elite NHL scorer, but if he can score 25-30 goals, he'll be dangerous.

And yes, I do think he's the perfect player to potentially play with a guy like Stepan.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

I was very happy when the Rangers took him in last year's draft. He is still raw though and he needs games. In some respect I think he'd be better off in Canada playing junior. I don't know if he'll be ready for the NHL by the end of next year but he has size and can flat out skate and his other skills aren't shabby either. IMO he's our best prospect not in the NHL (Del Zotto). Watching him at the WJC's--he's a threat whenever he's on the ice just because of the potential to blow by people and I'm of the opinion he's probably going to get bigger and maybe even become a better skater.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:50 AM
NinthSpoke06

Hey guys, I'm a BC season ticket holder and I just wanted to chime in on Kreider and his progression.

He has been a pleasure to watch this year. He started off the year slow and a little timid which isn't that unusual for a freshman, but he has improved ten-fold since then. He has improved each game and you can see he has finally adjusted to college life. His combination of skill and speed is unmatched on this highly talented BC team and they finally have gotten him the right center man (Ben Smith).

You could tell the WJC was huge for him. It was just such a confidence booster and ever since then he has taken off and not looked back. He is playing great and with all the confidence in the world and every time he touches the puck you just want him to shoot because he has that good of a shot.

However, the best part of the year for me has watching some of the things that I did not expect from him develop. The kid is one of the strongest skaters I have watched and he looks very undersized, but is very hard to knock off balance and off the puck. He has also played surprisingly physical. Not shying away from fighting for the puck in the corner and laying some big hits. He has exceeded my expectations by a lot this year (and my expectations were very high).

Well you guys are lucky to have a prospect like him and I am extremely jealous of you guys. He isn't ready for the pros yet but another year at college and bulking up and he should be ready to make the jump. Have fun, you guys are going to love this kid.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:55 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post
Hey guys, I'm a BC season ticket holder and I just wanted to chime in on Kreider and his progression.

He has been a pleasure to watch this year. He started off the year slow and a little timid which isn't that unusual for a freshman, but he has improved ten-fold since then. He has improved each game and you can see he has finally adjusted to college life. His combination of skill and speed is unmatched on this highly talented BC team and they finally have gotten him the right center man (Ben Smith).

You could tell the WJC was huge for him. It was just such a confidence booster and ever since then he has taken off and not looked back. He is playing great and with all the confidence in the world and every time he touches the puck you just want him to shoot because he has that good of a shot.

However, the best part of the year for me has watching some of the things that I did not expect from him develop. The kid is one of the strongest skaters I have watched and he looks very undersized, but is very hard to knock off balance and off the puck. He has also played surprisingly physical. Not shying away from fighting for the puck in the corner and laying some big hits. He has exceeded my expectations by a lot this year (and my expectations were very high).

Well you guys are lucky to have a prospect like him and I am extremely jealous of you guys. He isn't ready for the pros yet but another year at college and bulking up and he should be ready to make the jump. Have fun, you guys are going to love this kid.

Thanks for the update guys! Please if you have time later on the year we'd love to get another incite on his progression...we can only watch a couple games a year of him unfortunately.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 02-10-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old
02-10-2010, 12:58 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

Fair enough, I guess I see where your coming from when you say that since it made ESPN #1 (a damn HOCKEY play for crying out loud..hockey on ESPN..huh?)..it must have been completely unbelievable haha..

Lets just enjoy him progressing very well and call it a day

Old
02-10-2010, 06:19 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:

It sounds like you made a snap judgment on your first post and you have found yourself defending a position that sounds increasingly asinine the longer this drags on.

The goal was scored after a really nice move on a good defensemen at full speed after gathering up an entry pass while in full stride (he just accelerated so damn fast it was incredible) and then the patience he showed in beating the goalie at top speed was incredible.

It was a great goal, scored by a rangers prospect-- people here are going to enjoy it.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
It made the #1 play? This thread will stay open then...Huge Bean Pot championship game, Kreider and BC won 4-3...this was the goal by our man:

If anyone has the live feed yt i'd love to see that, not just that replay.
why would you have closed it?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post

btw, i just wanted to mention how much this pisses me off.

not this post or anything, but how the Rangers withheld Grachev from the WJC when it can have such a damn positive influence on a young players career. At least in our players it more or less tends to have a positive impact. I think it would have been good for Grachev to get away for a few games, go play with some of his countrymen, help that underachieving Russian team, and then come back fresh and with a new perspective. IMHO he would have definitely helped that Russian team.

Old
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
why would you have closed it?
Because it was already being discussed in the prospect thread?

Old
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

full speed

Old
02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
doakacola*

Quote:

At this level or the WJC, no he hasn't. The move taken together with the finish was tremendous. What he do hit on your girl?

Old
02-10-2010, 01:20 PM
doakacola*

Kreider isn't undersized by any means. He looks to me to be a legit 6:02-200 18 year old. He was one of the 4 biggest forwards on the ice for both teams Monday night.

Old
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Kreider isn't undersized by any means. He looks to me to be a legit 6:02-200 18 year old. He was one of the 4 biggest forwards on the ice for both teams Monday night.
He is extremely fit therefore he may seem skinny because he has strength but size. I think he could stand to gain about 15-20 pounds of muscle so that his strength could transfer to the pros but the kid is definitely not "large" by the standards of college hockey. He is strong, but not "large", if that makes sense to anyone.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
He still has 4-5 years of developing physically. It's kind of scary to think what he could become physically.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
He is extremely fit therefore he may seem skinny because he has strength but size. I think he could stand to gain about 15-20 pounds of muscle so that his strength could transfer to the pros but the kid is definitely not "large" by the standards of college hockey. He is strong, but not "large", if that makes sense to anyone.
I never maintained he was large, I said he isn't undersized, especially at the NCAA level. Just go on hockeydb and look at the rosters of BU, Denver, North Dakota and Miami and you will see that he would be one of the 3 biggest forwards on all but No. Dakota. You are seriously overestimating the average size of a NCAA forward. I would venture that Kreider would be one of the bigger forwards (top 4) on the majority of NCAA teams in terms of ht & wt. Its a complete fallacy to say he is undersized.

He is as big or bigger than Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury, Prospal, Avery & Lisin. Thats about 7 of your top 9 and he is 18.

Last edited by doakacola*: 02-10-2010 at 01:56 PM.