HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Ducks - 2/8/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

vCash: 500
Is it me or are people saying that Johnson is Zhitnik 2.0???

The only thing is that the only safe place to be while Zhitnik shot was in front of the net... Even LAX wasn't safe from half of his SOG... I blamed that shot in the past for most of the delays there...

Old
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I was thinking about his pairings the other night. There are two sides to the coin, and the question is worth raising, why has Murray never been able to find Jack a steady D partner? Injuries are one reason, but despite injuries, Jack has never been able to settle in with a partner like DOughty-OD, Doughty-Scuds, OD-Greene, Drewiske-Greene have been. I don't think injuries to Drewiske/Greene/Jones throughout the season are reason enough for Jack to always have roaming partners. There is something in Jack's game that makes him hard to pair up... I just don't know what that is. Not coming down on Jack really, just wondering, maybe someone else with more specific defensive knowledge than I can provide some insight.
I thought JJ - Scuds was a good pairing. IIRC, they were broken up when Scuds was moved up with Doughty and O'D was moved out of the top pairing because he couldn't handle it, nor can he handle what's he's being asked to do now.

I think a lot of it has to do with how comfortable Murray is with the other pairings right now. Scuderi really allows Doughty to take some risks and covers up for some of the mistakes that come with being inexperienced. Greene and O'D are both prototypical Murray players and he seems enamored with having them together and in the "shutdown" role.

Old
02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I thought JJ - Scuds was a good pairing. IIRC, they were broken up when Scuds was moved up with Doughty and O'D was moved out of the top pairing because he couldn't handle it, nor can he handle what's he's being asked to do now.

I think a lot of it has to do with how comfortable Murray is with the other pairings right now. Scuderi really allows Doughty to take some risks and covers up for some of the mistakes that come with being inexperienced. Greene and O'D are both prototypical Murray players and he seems enamored with having them together and in the "shutdown" role.
You're probably right that its just a combo of circumstance and lack of real depth on D.

Hopefully they find Johnson a partner he can stay with for more than 10-15 games though. I think he would really benefit from that kind of consistency.

Old
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
You're probably right that its just a combo of circumstance and lack of real depth on D.

Hopefully they find Johnson a partner he can stay with for more than 10-15 games though. I think he would really benefit from that kind of consistency.
Yeah, I agree. This team has 3 Top 4 d-men (DD,Scuds,JJ) and then a lot of third pairing guys. Ideally we would acquire another Top 4 guy by the trade deadline and pair him with JJ and then starting next year have the DD-JJ pairing going forward, rivaling the Suter-Weber, Keith-Seabrook, etc. pairings.

JJ certainly hasn't been done any favors with his partners though that's for sure.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

The umbrella pp is fine. Doughty playing the point has been awesome on the year, Kopi has been great playing the right half boards, and smyth has been good infront. Id just like to see Zeus in instead of brown to have 2 people parked infront of the net and have JJ patrol the left half boards

Old
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
JJ is a top 3 defenseman and Matt Greene isn't?

Old
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:

To be quite honest with you.. While people are hard on Jack I don't see ANYBODY calling out Scuderis horrid play when he was the puck. And even without the puck lately. Am I the only one noticing that this guy really isn't worth his contract?

But anyways in regards to Johnson.. I think the BEST person to put him with his honestly Drew Doughty. Johnson has all the tools in the world to be friggin' awesome, but the majority of his skill set lies on the offensive side. JJ needs somebody who is a good defensive player but one that can actually skate. Scuderi might as well tie 500 pound weights to his skates. O'Donnell cant really move anymore due to old age.. Even Drewiske isn't that good of a skater.

Really the bottom line of it all is we NEED another defenseman who can move the puck. I don't know if Voynov is ready but I'm willing to bet he's better right now than Martinez, Drewiske, Harrold, and Jones. I wish Thomas Hickey didn't get hurt..

Old
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I would say so.. I love Greene. He's one of my favorite Kings, but he's limited. Jack Johnson has too many tools to go by the wayside. Johnson needs a partner who can play the game.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Reaper45

You anchor Doughty with Johnson and Doughty has to constantly cover for Johnson's mistakes. Not the best idea.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
You anchor Doughty with Johnson and Doughty has to constantly cover for Johnson's mistakes. Not the best idea.
I disagree. Johnson makes mistakes but he probably feels like its just him out there on defense.. Because in all honesty it is. If you're worried about Johnson making mistakes, pair him up with Doughty and those two can just get the puck up ice and won't have to spend hardly anytime in their own zone.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Nope.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I would say so.. I love Greene. He's one of my favorite Kings, but he's limited. Jack Johnson has too many tools to go by the wayside. Johnson needs a partner who can play the game.
I do not agree

Old
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Nope.
Then this team is in a world of hurt.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
two out of three*

I love Matt Greene (yes, in a gay way) but if I'm running the ship Johnson gets more minutes. I'm putting the most skilled players on the ice.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Then this team is in a world of hurt.
No they're not. They're doing just fine.

Matt Greene is great. I'm very glad he's a King but this team would be in trouble if they thought of him as that, but they don't, and play him accordingly.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLudwig View Post
Is it me or are people saying that Johnson is Zhitnik 2.0???

The only thing is that the only safe place to be while Zhitnik shot was in front of the net... Even LAX wasn't safe from half of his SOG... I blamed that shot in the past for most of the delays there...
... Zhitnik scored 24 goals in his two seasons here, so I'd say he was hitting the net enough.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
To be quite honest with you.. While people are hard on Jack I don't see ANYBODY calling out Scuderis horrid play when he was the puck. And even without the puck lately. Am I the only one noticing that this guy really isn't worth his contract?
Scuderi's precision with his stick and his 'clutchness' are worth his contract and make up for the rest of his faults.

I've been loving Scuderi.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Some pretty big games tonight. Go Isles, Sens, Lightening and Blues.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Scuderi's precision with his stick and his 'clutchness' are worth his contract and make up for the rest of his faults.

This. Scuderi has been fine.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Zhitnik scored 24 goals in his two seasons here, so I'd say he was hitting the net enough.
Also remember that three out of four shots were so high the FAA complained about them...

Old
02-09-2010, 07:57 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
This. Scuderi has been fine.
I don't know.. Scuderi scares the hell out of me when he has the puck. I think some people gotta take a longer look at the guy and not let his "quality stay-at-home defenseman" reputation just save him.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I don't know.. Scuderi scares the hell out of me when he has the puck. I think some people gotta take a longer look at the guy and not let his "quality stay-at-home defenseman" reputation just save him.
We signed him because he's a "quality stay-at-home defenseman." You're right in that he's not good with the puck and he does make mistakes (as everyone on the team does) but he more than makes up for his mistakes with his defensive play.

Even then, Scuds usually makes the smart play with the puck, either keeping it along the boards or he passes it off to Doughty and lets him do the work, something I hated about the Greene - JJ pairing of last year because Greene thought he became on offensive d-man.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Petter

Guys, you can blame this loss on me. I bet on the Kings for the first time in months and of course they lost. I should have saved my money after completely failing with my Super Bowl bets.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter View Post
Guys, you can blame this loss on me. I bet on the Kings for the first time in months and of course they lost. I should have saved my money after completely failing with my Super Bowl bets.
Get him!!!!!!

Old
02-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Man, there is just a boat load of fun things one can have with those words...

Closed Thread