HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Same story year in and year out - Injuries

Old
02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
JayBee*

vCash: 500
Same story year in and year out - Injuries

I hate to blame the team's poor play on injuries but this team consistently ices a depleted lineup year in and year out. I'm starting to think the team's cursed. I used to think it was conditioning but that can't be it as some of the injuries have nothing to do with conditioning. Lack of size? No, bigger players have gotten injured.

It's just really frustrating as we never get a chance to see this team at full strength. We did a couple years ago and they won the conference.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Namso

injuries are part of the game, every team gets injuries

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Habs

Our lack of size probably doesn't help the abuse our players take on a nightly basis.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Darz

Not only the man games is a problem this year, but the quality of players we have lost to injury has been a big problem.

Markov - 35 games
Gionta - 21 games
A. Kost - 20 games and counting
Cammy - will probably end up being about 20 games

You could say that 4 out of our top 6 players will be out approx. 100+ games once everything is said and done.

02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
la25ecoupe

we only played 1 game with full lineup minus Mara..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
injuries are part of the game, every team gets injuries
Yes, but the Habs seem to deal with so many long term injuries on a yearly basis. Especially to key players.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Darth Joker

Another factor is that a defensive shell system (like the one Martin has used most of the year), results in more desperation play, more shot-blocking, etc...

More desperation play means greater likelihood of getting injured.

And, while fans love shot-blocking defensemen, the fact is that such defensemen put themselves at a greater risk to injury by doing it. If your team is blocking a boatload of shots every night, that's probably going to translate into higher-than-usual injuries.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Not only the man games is a problem this year, but the quality of players we have lost to injury has been a big problem.

Markov - 35 games
Gionta - 21 games

You could say that 4 out of our top 6 players will be out approx. 100+ games once everything is said and done.
You would think the media would pick up on this when they look like geniuses predicting the habs would finish between the 7-10 spots, but oh no they will trot out the classic "every team gets injuries".....BS

The above quote explains our year.

And as an earlier poster had mentioned I too am beginning to think our team is cursed. We have had injuries like other teams but it seems to always be our key players who get hurt for a prolonged time.

Any ideas on removing curses for hockey clubs, and no im not a secret Leafs fan

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
BadHabit

Found this site today by a blogger, and it's amazing the amount of info they have:

http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/2...pain-game.html

It even has a cap hit of the injured players while they are out! It is up to date for all of January 2010, but now Cammalleri, Pouliot and Bergeron are all out so we'll be climbing the ranks even higher now. Cool site nonetheless, and it pretty well confirms that we've had a higher than average run of injuries this year.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
stanley25

Considering where still in a playoff position is pretty close to a miracle. I mean there's only a handfull of players that have'nt been injured all year and out of these players I see only pleks as a key player. Gorges, Moen and Metro have all been great for us but there obviously not game breaking players, and then there's lapierre who on some nights you can't even tell he's with the team. Right now we have 3 out of our 4 guys in which we regulary look for goals out, with only maybe pouliot coming back in the near future. Andrei only coming back after the olympics and our best goal scorer Cams probably only going to be back wit about a dozen games left. It's really not looking good for us this year and in these circumstances I don't really think there's anybody on this team or in the organisation we could blame for this. The past two years Bob has gone out and got some pretty reliable players never really that injury prone and yet injuries have plagued us in mostly freaky situations. We really got to stop blaming the goalies, JM, BG, Boivin or Gauthier we've basicly just ran into some really bad luck. And you know with 80 good years out of the 100 we really don't have any thing to complain about. I love this team as much as any one but I think what's best for it is jus for everybody to just take a step back stop judging our team and let the proffesionals handle it. Even if we don't agree with them its not like there running this team into the ground either.
Posted via Mobile Device

stanley25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:06 AM
KingRacicot*

Yeah, I also think it's the ol' Catch-22 ---> fill your ranks with small, wimpy players who can't control the big galoots who dominate the league, and you're asking for trouble when it comes to injuries. It's inevitable. And yet still, apparently Montreal hasn't learned its lesson, and in fact could be lining itself up to get two more sub-6-footers in a trade for Carey Price. I mean, what's the deal? It's like Montreal brass doesn't want big guys up front...like there's a concerted effort not to go for size.

Gauthier

KingRacicot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:12 AM
neofury*

Our top 6 has all been injured at least for a few games so far this season. I love how when you tell people "its the injuries, on paper our team is solid" they try to tell you "all teams have injuries, that's an excuse!".

Find me another team that has had their entire top 6 injured at least once this year AND their best D, AND many of their other D.

You'll be hard pressed to find one let alone two.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Yeah, I also think it's the ol' Catch-22 ---> fill your ranks with small, wimpy players who can't control the big galoots who dominate the league, and you're asking for trouble when it comes to injuries. It's inevitable. And yet still, apparently Montreal hasn't learned its lesson, and in fact could be lining itself up to get two more sub-6-footers in a trade for Carey Price. I mean, what's the deal? It's like Montreal brass doesn't want big guys up front...like there's a concerted effort not to go for size.

Gauthier
Hey, if the league had stuck to their own decisions after the lock out and called penalties when they occur, rather then, you know, calling jack ****, small players wouldn't have to worry about injuries as much as players would need to play a more finesse style of play as to not risk taking stupid penalties. Instead though, I see less calls being made then ever now. What do they think is going to happen what with the shotty officiating we've all been seeing the last couple seasons? Is it just our team getting fleeced? I mean come on, I've only seen a handful of games this year where we were on the benefiting side of the amount of penalties versus number of infractions. So say 20 incidents by the other team, 2 pp for us, 10 infractions by our team, 5 pp for them.

I'm not saying this is every game, but if you pay close attention, especially after we started being good on the PP, time and time again I see non-calls. Yes teams are playing more disciplined against us, but that doesn't change the fact that I see plain as day numerous infractions that are never called. They make it seem on paper as if the other team is one of the cleanest teams in the NHL but if you actually watch each game, write down a tick for each time you see a hab player do an infraction and a tick for each time an opposing teams player does, then write down the total # of penalties, I guarantee you're going to see, time and time again we get the shaft, furthermore you're going to see on both sides of the spectrum terrible officiating, down right despicably bad officiating, these officials should be down right ashamed of themselves, if I ever had a job I worked at so poorly I would /facepalm, they're an embarrassment to their job and the league.

The NHL made it clear penalties would be called in order to keep players safer etc, stop people from doing stupid moves, but after like a week refs stopped making calls and did the NHL do jack **** about it? No. At least once a month a ref does a seriously boneheaded move, like that goal where he said it was a goal then denied it was afterwards, and are these referee's even repremanded? It gets swept under the rug.

Gainey built a small team for a reason, post lockout guys like Cammalleri etc were supposed to become huge for teams because they would not only have a ton of skill, but draw penalties, and if they weren't drawing penalties that would be because the other team wouldn't be touching the guy and he'd have room to work his magic every bit as much as an equivalent skilled player of 6'4" 220lbs could. But the league basically ****ed it all up by not sticking by their decision. How many times this year have I see we're playing a team, they make numerous infractions that go uncalled, then we barely touch a guy and its called, or even then finally one of their players gets called for something stupid. Just because you miss 4 obvious infractions doesn't mean make up for it by calling a ******** one, do your ****ing job and call the penalties, and there have been times where upon reviewing the replay I've seen that the ref was looking RIGHT AT the player in question and doesn't make the call.

I'm not saying its bias, I'm saying the refs aren't doing their ****ing jobs plain and simple, grow some balls and call the infractions you see, stop picking and choosing your calls and do your ****ing job.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Found this site today by a blogger, and it's amazing the amount of info they have:

http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/2...pain-game.html

It even has a cap hit of the injured players while they are out! It is up to date for all of January 2010, but now Cammalleri, Pouliot and Bergeron are all out so we'll be climbing the ranks even higher now. Cool site nonetheless, and it pretty well confirms that we've had a higher than average run of injuries this year.
Yep, I'm sure we'll be higher by the next update. The only teams in the top 10 who have dealt with injuries more effectively than Montreal is New Jersey, and then to a lesser extent Ottawa and Colorado. Even mighty Detroit is sitting outside playoffs due to their top 3 position in salary injury lost. All the other teams near the top of the list have been decimated by injuries and are in very crummy positions in the standings.

There's no perspective at all with the moron fans & media here in Montreal. To be hanging on to a playoff spot despite all these problems is proof that the team is much better than it's given credit for. But hysteria and angst is the modus operendi of all the manchild fans here in Quebec when it comes to hockey & politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Brilliant analysis there, you should apply for Pierre MacGuire's job on TSN after Pierre becomes the next GM of the Canadiens. Next time do a little research before spewing this kind of garbage, the injuries to our smaller guys had nothing to do with physical play. Camelleri fell akwardly, Gionta got his foot broken by a shot, and Markov had his foot cut.

Ironicly enough it is our bigger forwards (Benoit & Andrei) who are sidelined by physical contact injuries. Pretty much blows your ridiculous post out of the water.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Jigger77

I hate to use injuries as an excuse too. But sometimes you just have to face the facts. They killed us this year. Our lineup right now is a joke. No knock on the kids but man....

I still maintain that this team healthy can compete with anyone and would have finished near 4th in the east.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
m00ks

Combine that with the fact that players were still trying to develop chemistry and trying to learn a new system and deal with a new coach. Tough transition period and injuries are NOT helping specially when it's key guys who are constantly going down. In retrospect, it's amazing we haven't bottomed out and are still in playoff contention.

I've stated many times that the final product looks very promising and can compete for the top 4 spots in our conference. Injuries are a factor sure, but when you loose key personnel with repetitious regularity when your production is based on line chemistry instead of individual gamebreaking ability, the results leave plenty to be desired. Lack of depth kept us down, which stems from the kids' (notably D'Ago and Pacio) inability to step up and provide serviceable patchwork for the productive players getting hurt.

The Olympic break is a blessing and we'd probably only see the team's true potential in the last 10 games, which is still huge seeing how close the teams are in the standings.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Leo Getz

Oh I didn't know only players sub 6' get hurt in this league?

But if it gives you another excuse to hate on the smaller players.. to each his own I guess.

Lets bring back BGL! That big fella was never hurt.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

Markov - 35 games
Gionta - 21 games

Not only that but Gio, AK46, Cammy, and Poolie are probably right now our best 4 scoring wingers.

Three of them are now out with injuries and Gio was out for 21 games. That makes it hard to have any consistent scoring with our first two lines.

Pleks has scored quite a few points but his shot is not top notch.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
panorama01*

The 1998-99 to 2000-01 period was an injury plague on the Canadiens. 2001-02 brought the loss of Koivu to cancer,the loss of Souray for most of the year, as well as Donald Audette's horrific injury. Andre Savard so expected major injury problems that the lack of them in 2002-03 turned out to be a problem as there were too many centremen and there was no room for their new, prized acquisition, Mariusz Czerkawski.

Does passive play have something to do with it? These were among the weakest teams that they had, and they were often reduced to that kind of play. Right now, this is the second year of serious injury trouble, following a nearly injury-free 2007-08.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
JayBee*

Now Poulliot's gone? I just don't get it.

Old
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
OneSharpMarble

Sounds like the same old cop outs, if it isn't injuries it's the media, or the fans, or the flu, or global warming.

EVERY team deals with injuries, open your eyes.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote