HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CCM Vector U Pro+ question

Old
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Fan of The Game

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
CCM Vector U Pro+ question

Hey,

Just got my 08' model in today and I'll be honest its been a while since I've owned skates but I went ahead and got some good ones. But I have three questions,

1. I can't for the life of me remember if they come sharpen or not, which leads me to my next question,

2. How many times can I get the rocket runners sharpened before I need replacements.

3. With the molding, do you go bare foot, and is it even necessary (I've never had it done before.)?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
GuitarAwesome

Most of these questions are of skates in general, and don't make a difference to what model you are using. I'll try my best anyways!

1) Typically manufacturers will send skates unsharpened, and once you buy a new pair, the store will sharpen them for you the first time. Note, this is not ALWAYS the case, just my experience thusfar.

2) I cannot help you with, I haven't tried these skates for longer than a few practices. I also do NOT like my skates very sharp, so I dont get mine sharpened very often, so my blades always last longer than everyone else. (I know it's weird, I just like a dull skate, as long as I can cut the ice, it's fine)

3) Barefoot is always an option you can try. Some people believe you can grip the ice better. I have tried socks and barefoot both in My 9Ks, as well in One90s. There is a subtle difference. Barefoot did hurt after some time in my 9K's, but a few of my buddies swear by it. The one90s were fine. I have since reverted to wearing socks again, due to a cut I did not want infected. Gotta be careful! Also, you could get some lace bite around the upper ankles. Give it a shot, and see how it feels!

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
Hey,

Just got my 08' model in today and I'll be honest its been a while since I've owned skates but I went ahead and got some good ones. But I have three questions,

1. I can't for the life of me remember if they come sharpen or not, which leads me to my next question,

2. How many times can I get the rocket runners sharpened before I need replacements.

3. With the molding, do you go bare foot, and is it even necessary (I've never had it done before.)?

1. No, they do not come sharpened.

2. Rocket Runners are dog ****. You would be best served by putting normal steel in there as soon as you can. If you stick with rr's though, I've heard that you can sharpen them about 10-15 times before they need to be replaced.

3. With heat molding, wear whatever you will be wearing when you play in them. A lot of people wear skate socks or have a pair of whatever they always wear, so when you get them baked, wear those.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Hey,

as far as molding goes, the U+ pro's are a completely different animal than other skates. the way these were designed, baking is an absolute necessity for these with the U foam. without baking, it's like putting your foot in a box, with no shape whatsoever. when baked the U foam expands and forms to your foot, along with the outside material of the skate.

good luck with the '08 pro's though as they have been notorious for their lack of durability.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
TinofGrizz

I agree that skate is a must bake. Even though I skate barefoot I always bake with a very thin sock on, eyelets get hot and do not feel good against bare skin! Some may say that this may over-pack the skate out but I have never had any issues with it.

Also if you have a consistent good skate sharpener I do not see why you shouldn't be able to get 25 sharpens out of a RR, however if you have an inexperienced guy they will turn to dust in no time.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
HowToHockey

Take it into your local hockey shop, get them sharpened, get them baked, maybe get rid of the rocket runners and your good to go

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Are all blades made equal? My U+ skates are crooked (Yea, paying 600$ for skates with CROOKED BLADES) and I need to have them replaced. Luckily, I have this old CCM Intruder skate that I bought when I started out. Can I just replace the blades?

Edit: Apparently, the CCM Intruder has a Carbon Steel blade and most newer blades are Stainless steel. Welp.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:19 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Hey,

I just bought a pair of U+ 09's. I'll admit I didn't do a lot of research about them until after I bought them.

1. They don't come sharpened. As I understand it, none of them do.

2. Mine came with stainless steel blades instead of the Rocket Runners. As I understand it, the Rocket Runners are much lighter and that is the ONLY plus. They can (supposedly) only be sharpened 10-15 times. Also, I've heard (through the interwebs) that the RR's aren't very good unless sharpened by somebody who knows what they are really doing. I'll admit, that information is only here say.

3. These skates MUST be heat molded. Like others said, it's no good unless you do it. It's the way that they are designed. I don't think socks or no socks will make a huge difference as long as they are heat molded.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote