HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Oilers move AHL franchise to Oklahoma City

Old
02-06-2010, 08:52 AM
HockeyFan4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
OKC Oil Kings? moved to Edmonton Oilers move AHL franchise to Oklahoma City thread

UPDATE: Oklahoma City announcement Tuesday?

Edit - Press Conference announcing the move to OKC of the Oiler farm team:
OKC AHL Press Conference

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-09-2010 at 09:41 PM.
HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Oilerdiehard

The junior team the Oilers own is already called the Oil Kings.

I was hoping they would go with something else. Though obviously there are much worse names than that.

I liked something of the rumoured names like Oil Barons, Roughnecks, 89ers (though I am not sure what this stands for?) and OKC Hawks.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:18 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
The announcement will happen here on Tuesday at 4pm according to the local newspaper.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Hemsky4PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Center

If this is where they will be playing, the Oilers may become the only major league sports team that plays in a worse arena than their minor league affiliate.

According to this site, the Ford Center was built for $89M and ground was broken in 1999. Those who hesitate...

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

If this is where they will be playing, the Oilers may become the only major league sports team that plays in a worse arena than their minor league affiliate.

According to this site, the Ford Center was built for $89M and ground was broken in 1999. Those who hesitate...
No they will NOT be playing in the Ford Center, there is no way that the NBA Thunder will give it up. They will be playing in the Cox Convention Center Arena(a.k.a the Myriad).

Lease Details Between OKC and Prodigal Hockey

Last edited by HockeyFan4Life: 02-06-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
No they will NOT be playing in the Ford Center, there is no way that the NBA Thunder will give it up. They will be playing in the Cox Convention Center Arena(a.k.a the Myriad).

Lease Details Between OKC and Prodigal Hockey
They also are or already have renovated the Cox Center correct? That was one of the Oilers reservations about playing there originally.

Yeah I do not imagine an NBA team will share with an AHL team. Though I guess you never know. I believe the Staples Center in Los Angeles is the home of the LA Clippers, LA Lakers and the LA Kings of the NHL.

Edit - Nevermind I found a link about the Cox Convention Center renovations.

http://www.coxconventioncenter.com/n...-Approved.html

Old
02-06-2010, 10:58 AM
HockeyFan4Life

The MAJOR thing that needs to be replaced is the Ice Plant. The last time it was used a couple of seasons ago. And the plant quit working during the 3rd period.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

Maybe thats why its 89rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I liked something of the rumoured names like Oil Barons, Roughnecks, 89ers (though I am not sure what this stands for?) and OKC Hawks.

it cost 89M to build?

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Maybe thats why its 89rs

it cost 89M to build?
The 89ers is for the Land Run of 1889, there was a Minor League Baseball team with that name. But the team was renamed the Oklahoma City Redhawks.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Maybe thats why its 89rs

it cost 89M to build?
You might be right if they were playing in the Ford Center which cost 89M to build.

But they are playing in the Cox Convention Center which is an older building.

Quote:
The 89ers is for the Land Run of 1889, there was a Minor League Baseball team with that name. But the team was renamed the Oklahoma City Redhawks.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that. It is good to see them considering some names of historical significance. I wonder if the OKC Hawks proposed name was a hat towards the Redhawks?

Old
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
ThePresent83

Id like the RoadRunners back... but they could call the team the Oklahoma City Poop and i would just be happy they was change in the works

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I would call them something unrelated to the oilers. The 89ers or something commemorating their history would be good.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Boozers

love the name It fits just like here

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
surshot*

I liked the roughnecks name.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
HockeyFan4Life

What's going to being interesting is how the structure of the organization is going to shake out.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
What's going to being interesting is how the structure of the organization is going to shake out.
Yeah I have been wondering a little about that as well. I mean obviously the Oilers will be in charge of the players, player procurement, the coaching staff and that sort of thing. But I wonder how it works beyond that? I know some clubs like say the Hershey Bears the local group makes good money and actually kick extra money above and beyond their affiliation fees to the Washington Capitals. Which is used to go after high profile AHL free agents and probably other operating perks for the team. So in essence Hershey is paying for at least a couple of the players themselves and probably have some say in who to get. I am just not sure how that sort of thing works and probably differs somewhat between team to team. It seems like when the parent club actually owns the AHL team they are pretty heavily involved in everything. As opposed to for example Springfield where the local group owns the AHL team. They had minimal input into the team on the ice but also could not afford to pay anything towards player salaries.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
HockeyFan4Life

My impression is that Prodigal just may run the day to day operations with Edmonton running the rest of the show.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
My impression is that Prodigal just may run the day to day operations with Edmonton running the rest of the show.
Yeah that is sort of what I figured. Like dealing with concessions, tickets, event staff and that type of thing. I think the Oilers will be pretty hands on with just about everything else.

I am interested to see what kind of schedule they work out. From some fans comments the Falcons play the same close teams all the time to save money on travel. Maybe the Oil will spring for more travel and variety of opponents. Though I guess you do not want to over do the travel and have no practice time either. A delicate balance I suppose.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
HockeyFan4Life

And it works out for not only OKC, but Houston,Texas, and San Antonio too. Hopefully that some cable coverage is in order..

Old
02-06-2010, 02:23 PM
deanmoriarty

It doesn't seem fair that Calgary got a team in Abbottsford. Couldn't the Oilers have found somewhere less than 3000k's away, or a more desirable city to visit?

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
It doesn't seem fair that Calgary got a team in Abbottsford. Couldn't the Oilers have found somewhere less than 3000k's away, or a more desirable city to visit?
Edmonton does not want to invade WHL territory.

02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
The MAJOR thing that needs to be replaced is the Ice Plant. The last time it was used a couple of seasons ago. And the plant quit working during the 3rd period.
I am pretty sure that I posted an article which talked about renovations, including the ice plant a while back.

They made a deal with the City of Oklohoma.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Well the Oilers have been searching for a long time for the right place to put the team. OKC had better attendance numbers for a CHL team than most AHL clubs can muster. They are renovating their building. It seems like a really good situation with a solid fan base in place. I believe I heard it is about 1,000 miles closer than Springfield. It is not much but they even get a little closer.

Maybe I am not as picky as you are. But OKC seems like it would be a fine city to visit on a trip down there.

From what I hear Abbotsford have not been that terribly supportive of the AHL team (according to the owner of the ECHL Salmon Kings when asked if they would convert to an AHL team recently). It remains to be seen whether that will be a good fit besides anything more than geographically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I am pretty sure that I posted an article which talked about renovations, including the ice plant a while back.

Yep. Check out the link I posted above.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

I know they are going too, amongst other things that will be redone.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Moreaupheus
Tracing the dream

I'd likethe name to be Oil Barons rather than the Roadrunners.

Last edited by Moreaupheus: 02-06-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: .
Moreaupheus is offline   Reply With Quote