HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Oilers to move inactive AHL club to Oklahoma City

Old
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I wonder if they will move Toronto to the East and move Chicago or someone to the other division
If anyone moves to the East it should be Rochester.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
I don't think that franchises are for sale.... until they're sold already (in most cases I can remember).
Is what you are saying in this quote is that there aren't any AHL owners currently in the market to sell???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
It seems that the "temporary" franchise would greatly devalue the other owners investments. I mean having one of 30 of anything is much more valuable than having one of (a number that isn't limited) of something. I don't think that there is going to be an influx of team over 30, but the supply and demand laws are thrown off greatly with the temp franchise.
I could see devaluation being the case now that a precedent has been set - they've "gone there", so to speak. Beyond devaluing the business, I can't see this sort of arrangement being good for seeking financing for any team operating under this type of agreement. If the league, or BoG, actually hold to the initial intention and grant only a one-year temporary license to operate the AHL Stars the obligation could revert to the Dallas Stars to negotiate with a current owner of one of the 30 "permanent franchises" or have no team and a lease with an arena (per the poster from the previous page).

So long as I am not missing anything: there are 30 franchises (licenses), all of them owned, 28 of them playing in 2009-10, plus one temporary agreement allowing the the Texas Stars to play in Austin.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
RFA

No, I meant that it doesn't seem like teams are ever "for sale", they just end up getting sold and it comes as a shock to just about everyone.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:47 PM
AdmiralPred

Ah, I now understand.

Old
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
Is what you are saying in this quote is that there aren't any AHL owners currently in the market to sell???

I could see devaluation being the case now that a precedent has been set - they've "gone there", so to speak. Beyond devaluing the business, I can't see this sort of arrangement being good for seeking financing for any team operating under this type of agreement. If the league, or BoG, actually hold to the initial intention and grant only a one-year temporary license to operate the AHL Stars the obligation could revert to the Dallas Stars to negotiate with a current owner of one of the 30 "permanent franchises" or have no team and a lease with an arena (per the poster from the previous page).

So long as I am not missing anything: there are 30 franchises (licenses), all of them owned, 28 of them playing in 2009-10, plus one temporary agreement allowing the the Texas Stars to play in Austin.
Technically, w/ this announcement, 29 licenses are in play; 1 transfer of a license (Albany to Charlotte) and Texas, but the League has already said it's Dallas' prerogative to find a franchise before the end of this season if Texas is to be granted full membership.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Technically, w/ this announcement, 29 licenses are in play; 1 transfer of a license (Albany to Charlotte) and Texas, but the League has already said it's Dallas' prerogative to find a franchise before the end of this season if Texas is to be granted full membership.
Appologies, I should have itemized my numbers in the previous post:

30 "permanent licenses", all of them owned, 28 are currently playing an AHL schedule of games with two franchises not currently playing any games - Iowa and Edmonton. Plus, one "temporary license" in which the AHL has granted the Stars one season of playing games while they seek to purchase one of the 30 "permanent licenses" of their own.

Is this correct? (I ask only because I have not followed much the past two seasons and have only partially skimmed the way-too-many pages of the "Silly Season" thread.)

Old
03-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Apologies, I should have itemized my numbers in the previous post:

30 "permanent licenses", all of them owned, 28 are currently playing an AHL schedule of games with two franchises not currently playing any games - Iowa and Edmonton. Plus, one "temporary license" in which the AHL has granted the Stars one season of playing games while they seek to purchase one of the 30 "permanent licenses" of their own.

Is this correct? (I ask only because I have not followed much the past two seasons and have only partially skimmed the way-too-many pages of the "Silly Season" thread.)
You are correct sir!!

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If anyone moves to the East it should be Rochester.
That would appear to be the logical choice.

adsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
You are correct sir!!
I feel better. Too many pages in the "Silly Season" thread but that is what I got.

Old
03-29-2010, 03:59 PM
EatSleepJeep

Quote:
Stars are likely going to have to buy the Iowa franchise and pay the exorbitant penalty to Polk County for doing so. Hicks is about 3 gajillion dollars in debt, so what's 12 million more?

The county board and fans has resigned themselves to the fact that the AHL is gone, but the board looks rather smart for having the buyout/bankruptcy clause put in there so many years ago. They will get paid. It's too bad Hicks and the Schlegals are stupid with their cash.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepJeep View Post
Stars are likely going to have to buy the Iowa franchise and pay the exorbitant penalty to Polk County for doing so. Hicks is about 3 gajillion dollars in debt, so what's 12 million more?

The county board and fans has resigned themselves to the fact that the AHL is gone, but the board looks rather smart for having the buyout/bankruptcy clause put in there so many years ago. They will get paid. It's too bad Hicks and the Schlegals are stupid with their cash.
Who's to say that an existing AHL team won't become available for sale after the 10-11 season?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
SeaToby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepJeep View Post

The previous Iowa Chops owners owe Polk County the $12 million for failing to deliver this past year an AHL club. From what we hear in Austin from the Texas Stars President Rick McLaughlin, Texas will buy a franchise late in April and have it approved by the AHL board of governors on May 2nd at the next governors meeting. Speculation is the franchise will be the Iowa Chops. Texas has no intentions of paying any penalty... It appears with a possible Lowell to Albany move, or a Lowell stay, the only franchise capable of being bought is the Iowa Chops, the 30th club.

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
The previous Iowa Chops owners owe Polk County the $12 million for failing to deliver this past year an AHL club. From what we hear in Austin from the Texas Stars President Rick McLaughlin, Texas will buy a franchise late in April and have it approved by the AHL board of governors on May 2nd at the next governors meeting. Speculation is the franchise will be the Iowa Chops. Texas has no intentions of paying any penalty... It appears with a possible Lowell to Albany move, or a Lowell stay, the only franchise capable of being bought is the Iowa Chops, the 30th club.
hmm...interesting would love a link if you have it.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Iowa doesn't exist, Sea Toby, in all technicality, hasn't since the Schlegels defaulted their rights, besides the AHL grants the franchise to a prospective owner and there already is 30 teams in play w/ the announcement of Oklahoma City, which Dallas unsuccessfully bid for in negotiations w/ Edmonton the last 7 seasons even through Edmonton's 5 way affiliation debacle up to 2005.... Didn't Dallas forfeit all rights when they were in essence bought out which is why the Stars moniker was dropped the minute Dallas announced their intention to move to Cedar Park, Texas and doesn't Anaheim have to be paid for their binding contract that was breached in 2008.....

Texas was required to buy a franchise within 1 year or be shut down, ST, if there are 30 full members and 30 binding affiliations, where's Texas' franchise coming from per agreement, you cannot pay something for a franchise you don't control if you've already lost said franchise because you violated the prime bylaw of not placing said franchise up for personal loan or collateral, which is why the Iowa franchise is "terminated", besides, IF Texas isn't paying Polk County, who is?

Old
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Iowa doesn't exist, Sea Toby, in all technicality, hasn't since the Schlegels defaulted their rights,
You keep saying this, and you keep being told you're wrong. I'll do it again.

"You're wrong".

The Iowa franchise DOES exist... the league did not REVOKE the franchise. Take a look at the announcements last year, Chris. They SUSPENDED the franchise. They eliminated that franchise's rights to play in the AHL for the 2009-10 season... but that didn't cause it to vanish in a puff of "because Chris said so, it's gone!".

It is an asset, owned by the Schlegels, that is still (to the best knowledge of anyone in this thread) still tied up in the lawsuits between the Schlegels and Polk County.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

http://www.kcci.com/video/22958614/index.html

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
AdmiralPred

I think I helped run this thread on a tangent last month. Nothing on this page is about OKC.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I think I helped run this thread on a tangent last month. Nothing on this page is about OKC.
Or Cincinnati or San Diego! I did see Louisville.

adsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Pirates Fan View Post
So is it safe to say that there will be no hockey in Springfield next season?
Springfield is on of the oldest AHL teams in the league arent they? Right up there with Rochester. I don't see them moving.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Springfield is on of the oldest AHL teams in the league arent they? Right up there with Rochester. I don't see them moving.
Springfield has a 1 yr trial w/ Columbus don't they, PPF

Old
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Or Cincinnati or San Diego! I did see Louisville.
I've been to a few games in Louisville.... wait! I've been own that path a few times on these boards... Old Freedom Hall

Old
04-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Wow, surprised Hutch missed this opportunity for the history lesson. Yes, there have been teams in Springfield over the years, but there has been a franchise change and there have been a couple gaps in the time. You can check out the AHL Franchise Histories thread for a little more detail. The current team has been there since 1994.

05-12-2010, 10:47 PM
SeaToby

After the Texas Stars bought the Iowa Chops franchise, and Edmonton using their dormant franchise in Oklahoma City, it appears there are now thirty AHL franchises... All accounted for by the way...

As Dave Andrews said during the All star break new conference, which can be seen at AHL live, the Stars had to the end of the playing year to buy a franchise. That deal is done...

Notice how quickly the sale was done after the Polk County Commissioners dropped their lawsuit and allowed the club to be moved. I guess one million in your hand is better than twelve million in the bush...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
After the Texas Stars bought the Iowa Chops franchise, and Edmonton using their dormant franchise in Oklahoma City, it appears there are now thirty AHL franchises... All accounted for by the way...

As Dave Andrews said during the All star break new conference, which can be seen at AHL live, the Stars had to the end of the playing year to buy a franchise. That deal is done...

Notice how quickly the sale was done after the Polk County Commissioners dropped their lawsuit and allowed the club to be moved. I guess one million in your hand is better than twelve million in the bush...
I thought the whole county board had to vote but the commissioner was recommending a yes vote. Also, the amount had dropped this year to $10 million.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Piratesfan

As far as I know, the BlueJackets are moving the farm to Springfield, the Ducks are moing to Syracuse and nothing bas been said about the Stars.

Piratesfan is offline   Reply With Quote