HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Potter up

Old
02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
tdawg56

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
We only have crap to deal, we have terrible team scoring. We need a guy like Horton more than a guy like Dubi. That's how I see it.
I agree thats the only way to compete, we need more scoring. if we can trade dubi in a deal and drop another bad contract i would take horton in a millisecond.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Just a little opinion here but Torts seems to pick on Dubi a lot.
I think it started when Dubi held out. I forget what Torts said during training camp when Dubi wasn't there. Wasn't good though.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Patience patience patience. This is why they never rebuild in NY. They don't think the fans will stand for it. It looks like they were kind of right about that.
I'm all for rebuilding. Hell, I'm all for tanking it for a few years to get our version of MA Fleury, Malkin and Crosby. But when we sign guys like Gomez, Drury, Redden and the other overpaid guys the members of this board are constantly complaining about, it's hard to say we are 'rebuilding.'

If you are going to truly rebuild, you sign some cheaper, short term character guys to mentor younger players, show them the ropes, and help them improve. You don't bring in overpriced, 2nd tier players and pay them like they are superstars.

I think the fact that we have had only 2 true homegrown stars (#2 and #35) in the past 25 years or so (though we have traded a few guys that are top level, or at least very solid, players), and have developed no elite forwards since the 60s (Doug Weight? Tony Amonte?), speaks volumes about the mindset of the guys running this team. And the owners too. It's about money. Would you pay $100+ a ticket to see an AHL team? Probably not.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
So Sather won't trade Dubinsky for Dany Heatley but he will trade him now for an injured Panther?

Mmmm that sounds very [E4]

If this ends up letting Brashear go, that would be good enough.
I really dont think dubinsky was the deal breaker for heatley. He was probably someone Murray asked for but could live without acquiring if he got someone else. It wasnt like he was the centerpiece. I think people misunderstood that situation. I mean cmon Dubinsky being the centerpiece for a guy like Heatley? Lets be realistic.

EDIT: And I dont see how this at all would effect the youth of our team. We are NOT rebuilding with a star goalie and star forward in their primes. That is absolutely ridiculous. We already performed our rebuild. Staal is still so young but yet is already looking like the cornerstone of our defense, not to mention Del Zotto who is looking like a stud. We got young guys like Cally and Dubinsky who arent superstars but definitely making out to be good 2nd-3rd line players. Anisimov is only 21 and I really think will get better with experience and the coaching of torts. I think torts will push the kid to get better. Then you look and have plenty of potentially solid players playing in the minors, juniors, and college. Kreider, Stepan, Grachev, Werek, Bourque, Weiss, Mcdonagh, Sangs, Kundratek, etc. Yes have patience with those prospects. But we are not rebuilding again. It just isnt going to happen. This is an organization that has been competitive every year since the lockout and has drafted pretty well since it as well.

On that note, trading dubinsky for a guy like Horton, Weiss, or Booth...does not hurt the team as far as youth goes. So I dont understand why people would start any argument on that front.

Last edited by RGY: 02-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.
RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:00 AM
lbrowne

You know, I take the picking on that Torts dishes to Dubi as a father that's hard on his son. I think Torts sees good things in Dubi and is trying to focus all of them into one great skill set.

Kind of like what he did with Vinny Lecavalier in Tampa, by no means am I comparing the two in terms of player.

Please let Dubi and Cally still be Rangers.... for their career! (yes I said it)

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Maybe Torts just sits out Redden again....?

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
Maybe Torts just sits out Redden again....?
That would be all sorts of anti-climactic.

..you're probably right.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
That would be all sorts of anti-climactic.

..you're probably right.
No.

Trade trade trade

Redden to LAK for Doughty + 1st [E5]

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:37 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Girardi, Rozie, Brash, Dubinsky, Werek/2nd

for

Horton, Seidenberg, Leopold, Oreskovich/3rd

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:42 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
If the preposterous deal above were to work (not a big chance --- even on a day with predicted Thundersnow) --- then we could do something like:

Offseason moves

• Trade Lisin + Voros at deadline/offseason for picks or prospects
  • Dump Redden --- anywhere
  • Let Joker, Seidenburg, Leopold go
  • Start Chad Johnsson in the minors
  • Grachev (hopefully) makes team out of camp
  • One of Sanguinetti, Sauer, Heikkinen make team out of camp

RFAs
  • Resign Staal 2 years at 2,4 million
  • Resign Prust 2 years at 700 k

Old UFAs
  • Resign Prospal at 1,85 million
  • Resign Christensen at 750 k

New UFAs
  • Sign Kovalchuk for 9 million for 10 years
  • Sign Volchenchov at 4,5 million 3 years (probably not enough?)
  • Sign a defensive veteran D ?? at 1 million
  • Sign John Scott 2 years at 700 k (protection)
  • Sign Johan Hedberg 1 year --- 1 million

FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($9.000m) / * Nathan Horton ($4.000m)/ Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / * Erik Christensen ($0.750m) /* Vaclav Prospal ($1.850m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m)/ Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.933m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m)/ Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.700m)
* Victor Oreskovich ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / * Marc Staal ($2.400m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / * Anton Volchenchov ($4.500m)
* Vet D ($1.000m) / * Ilkka Heikkinen ($0.875m) or Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.855m) or Mike Sauer($0.847m)
* John Scott ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
* Johan Hedberg ($1.000m)

TOTALS 2010/2011
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $58.080m; CAP ROOM: $-0.805m (but say the cap goes up 1-1,8 M U$D) BONUSES: $0.475m

Drury bought out
  • Kreider takes Vinny Prospals slot
  • Stepan takes over for Christ
  • McDonaugh??
  • Grachev and AA move up the food chain?
  • Key RFAs resigned

If it all were so easy...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:57 AM
n_a_c

I hate to be a boring party pooper, but we are playing a game on a day of a major snow storm. We have no extra d-men on the roster. Calling one up is a simple, prudent move just in case something happens. Who knows - Redden could get out of a taxi cab, slip and break his ankle. Stranger things have happened...

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:08 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I don't know but I would still rather see Hiekk up here or even Sangs. Although I still like this move over no move.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
ZacUSNYR

I like Corey, every time i've watched the Wolfpack he was one of the better defensive defensemen on the ice.

ZacUSNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
I hate to be a boring party pooper, but we are playing a game on a day of a major snow storm. We have no extra d-men on the roster. Calling one up is a simple, prudent move just in case something happens. Who knows - Redden could get out of a taxi cab, slip and break his ankle. Stranger things have happened...
Or worse...

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:26 AM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
You know, I take the picking on that Torts dishes to Dubi as a father that's hard on his son. I think Torts sees good things in Dubi and is trying to focus all of them into one great skill set.

Kind of like what he did with Vinny Lecavalier in Tampa, by no means am I comparing the two in terms of player.

Please let Dubi and Cally still be Rangers.... for their career! (yes I said it)
Exactamundo!...He ripped Lecavalier daily a new a-hole and made Lecavalier what he is today...

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Personally I'm still rooting for him to wake up and discover that his leg has fallen off, forcing him to retire.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
He won't be in a taxi! Limo's only for our boys!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:21 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
... have developed no elite forwards since the 60s (Doug Weight? Tony Amonte?), speaks volumes about the mindset of the guys running this team.
Are you really talking about development or drafting. If its development, then what's the problem with developing another org's draft choices? If we end up developing Horton instead of Dubes, than that's not a bad deal, I think.

Anyway:

Since the 60's is a long time - if we go from the 80's I would also add Marc Savard, Tony Granato, Ulf Dahlen, Tomas Sandstrom, Mike Ridley and Alex Kovalev to your little list there - and there are a slew of second tier guys who have come through the organization like Mikael Samuelsson, Darren Turcotte, Mike York, Sergei Nemchinov, and others .

Not such a bad list. I mean, if we held onto Weight and Savard there are our #1 and #2 centers for the past decade at least.

It was in the late 90's that drafting and development really went haywire. Comparatively speaking, Sather (part II) has restocked a cupboard that was laid waste, even though he was partly responsible for that situation through the lockout, at least.

Last edited by BobSantos: 02-10-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added stuff
BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
The Rangers have recalled defenseman Corey Potter for tonight’s game against the Predators, giving them a seventh defenseman. The Rangers said it was precautionary against a potential injury situation.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
Refuse to believe it. Where there is smoke, there are mirrors. I need to be entertained for the next 9 hours and thundersnow isn't doing it for me. More trade rumors please.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Refuse to believe it. Where there is smoke, there are mirrors. I need to be entertained for the next 9 hours and thundersnow isn't doing it for me. More trade rumors please.
More trade rumors huh?

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/rumourgen.htm

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Crease

Quote:
Oh God Yes.

Old
02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Cmox

Quote:
hahaha
Sedin to Rangers? (e4)

According to my sources within the Vancouver Canucks organization, the New York Rangers are willing to part with D Wade Redden, a rusty zamboni and G Henrik Lundqvist to obtain the services of LW Daniel Sedin. Remember, you heard it here first!

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Since the 60's is a long time - if we go from the 80's I would also add Marc Savard, Tony Granato, Ulf Dahlen, Tomas Sandstrom, Mike Ridley and Alex Kovalev to your little list there - and there are a slew of second tier guys who have come through the organization like Mikael Samuelsson, Darren Turcotte, Mike York, Sergei Nemchinov, and others .

Not such a bad list. I mean, if we held onto Weight and Savard there are our #1 and #2 centers for the past decade at least.
But we didn't. That's the problem. Now people are advocating that we should trade Dubi and Cally because they think Horton or Weiss are better. And next year, when we have a bunch of ill-fitting parts, everyone will complain that there is too much turnover and we need to keep the "core" so they can grow together.

Trading Dubi or Cally isn't going to make us a better team. Why would we trade from an area of weakness to try to improve that same area of weakness? Makes no sense.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Why would we trade from an area of weakness to try to improve that same area of weakness? Makes no sense.
This I fully agree with. We should be moving defense and defensive prospects for offensive players right now. And dumping a contract or two.