HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

View Poll Results: Is Sean Avery good or bad for the Rangers
Good 188 91.26%
Bad 18 8.74%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Sean Avery

I've been fighting the good fight and telling you guys that Sean Avery is a punk and detrimental to the team since we had him here the first time. However, the vast majority (I'd say 80% of the board), disagreed with me then, disagreed with me when we reacquired him, and disagreed with me at the beginning of the year when I was saying that he was the most logical choice for the fourth line.

I've always said he had some skill - enough to be an above average third liner. However, IMO, that modicum of skill has always been more than offset by his extracurricular idiocy. So, do people still feel the same way?

Very simple poll: Sean Avery - good or bad for the Rangers?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

When Sean doesn't take stupid penalty's, you all cheer his name and kiss his ass.

When Sean does take stupid penalty's, you want him off this team.

I don't think you guys understand how vital the role he plays is. Especially on this, stale, cold team.

We're playing at home, and are being completely outplayed. You can't blame him for trying to make something happen. There's a fine line he flirts with, and sometimes he crosses it.

That's the nature of the beast. Make peace with it, and move on.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
When Sean doesn't take stupid penalty's, you all cheer his name and kiss his ass.

I don't think you guys understand how vital the role he plays is. Especially on this, stale, cold team.

We're playing at home, and are being completely outplayed. You can't blame him for trying to make something happen. There's a fine line he flirts with, and sometimes he crosses it.

can't believe others don't see this.

This hockey team is lifeless.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

Well-said, not to mention that he has a target on his back after last season's suspension. He can't get away with things that he got away with a few seasons ago.

Avery's one of the few guys who actually wants to be a Ranger and makes an effort to stand up for his teammates. He is far from being the major problem on this team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Well-said, not to mention that he has a target on his back after last season's suspension. He can't get away with things that he got away with a few seasons ago.

Avery's one of the few guys who actually wants to be a Ranger and makes an effort to stand up for his teammates. He is far from being the major problem on this team.
If Sean didn't have the reputation he has, he would be drawing numerous penalty's a game.

That's how pathetic this league is. Refs ignore blatant penalty's against him, because of his rep. Makes me furious just thinking about it.

You made a good point about him wanting to be a Ranger. Everyone knows that this guy was made to play here. He does carry some baggage, but overall, he helps this team, more than he hurts them.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Quote:
If Sean didn't have the reputation he has, he would be drawing numerous penalty's a game.

That's how pathetic this league is. Refs ignore blatant penalty's against him, because of his rep. Makes me furious just thinking about it.

You made a good point about him wanting to be a Ranger. Everyone knows that this guy was made to play here. He does carry some baggage, but overall, he helps this team, more than he hurts them.

Ah, but see, I count that as part of what makes him BAD. Regardless of whether or not it's FAIR, that target makes it more difficult for the Rangers to win.

To take a very extreme example to make my point... imagine if the league mandated that Avery play in roller skates instead of ice skates. Would it be fair? No. Regardless, it would sure as hell make him a liability. Would you still want him to get a regular shift...?

Old
01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ah, but see, I count that as part of what makes him BAD. Regardless of whether or not it's FAIR, that target makes it more difficult for the Rangers to win.

To take a very extreme example to make my point... imagine if the league mandated that Avery play in roller skates instead of ice skates. Would it be fair? No. Regardless, it would sure as hell make him a liability. Would you still want him to get a regular shift...?
This team has the 4th best penalty kill in the league. Maybe I would care a little more about it if the penalty kill was bad.

Avery's penalties are not making it more difficult for the Rangers to win... lack of scoring, poor defensive coverage, and inconsistent effort are.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

So we should bury Avery in Hartford because of his reputation?

Sorry. He does more good for this franchise, than bad. That's the bottom line.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

If Avery is bad for the team, wouldn't JT have benched his ass for the rest of the game?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't see how he's "bad" for the team.

The only thing that's "bad" for the team is that we don't have the depth to keep him strictly a bottom 6 player.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
John Torturella

As Avery kicks Gorges' behind this thread looks questionable at best. He just showed the team how to stand up for each other and they followed suit.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
As Avery kicks Gorges' behind this thread looks questionable at best. He just showed the team how to stand up for each other and they followed suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

The only thing that's "bad" for the team is that we don't have the depth to keep him strictly a bottom 6 player.
Summed up pretty well right here.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Agreed completely Jon.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh please. This comeback (through two periods) is ALL about Ryan Callahan. Sean Avery had nothing to do with it. Avery is the reason we NEEDED a comeback. Selective memories.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Good sometimes, bad sometimes.

When he come back from the penalty box after a stupid penalty and curses the coach off that is just beyond stupid.

Could you imagine if Redden did that? The whole Rangers board would have exploded yelling to get rid of the cancer.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Good sometimes, bad sometimes.

When he come back from the penalty box after a stupid penalty and curses the coach off that is just beyond stupid.

Could you imagine if Redden did that? The whole Rangers board would have exploded yelling to get rid of the cancer.
He does completely idiotic things at times.

I think when you look at his play as a whole, the good outweighs the bad by a good bit.

Old
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
pld459666

When you can play the way Avery does and still take a regular shift, it's always going to be a good thing.

He's good for this team

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He does completely idiotic things at times.

I think when you look at his play as a whole, the good outweighs the bad by a good bit.
Yea I agree the good does outweigh the bad.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yelling at Torts, I don't know. It's never good to show your coach up. Never. But I don't know what was said.... and when emotions are running high and guys are competitive, sometimes people get heated. It can provide a spark sometimes. Sam and Joe just alluded to that very point. So I'm not sure what was said but I won't condemn Sean for it yet. Obviously Torts wasn't that bothered because he sent Aves right back out.

Old
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Do I need to say it?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Do I need to say it?
I mean I came in and said my part, so it's only fair for you to say yours, right?

Old
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

The guy is a nutjob.

And I absolutely love that he's on our team.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Avery had a bad start tonight... no doubt.

But he's been far more disciplined this season as opposed to his previous stint "2007-08". That's a fact.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I don't like the fact that a player who is the disgrace of the NHL is a part of our organization. After reading the article involving Avery and Shanahan a few years ago, my fears about his true personality were realized.

What it boils down to is that he is a pretty good 3rd liner who is injured all the time and takes waay too many penalties. By the end of this contract he will have worn out his welcome with the final NHL team that gave him a chance, and he will go play in Britain or wherever they will put up with him, like Theo Fleury.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Lex444

Quote:
I've been fighting the good fight and telling you guys that Sean Avery is a punk and detrimental to the team since we had him here the first time. However, the vast majority (I'd say 80% of the board), disagreed with me then, disagreed with me when we reacquired him, and disagreed with me at the beginning of the year when I was saying that he was the most logical choice for the fourth line.

I've always said he had some skill - enough to be an above average third liner. However, IMO, that modicum of skill has always been more than offset by his extracurricular idiocy. So, do people still feel the same way?

Very simple poll: Sean Avery - good or bad for the Rangers?
This was an easy one. Why dont you make your next poll if Donald Brashear is good or bad for the team?

Lex444 is offline   Reply With Quote