HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

View Poll Results: Is Sean Avery good or bad for the Rangers
Good 188 91.26%
Bad 18 8.74%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
  #1
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Sean Avery

I've been fighting the good fight and telling you guys that Sean Avery is a punk and detrimental to the team since we had him here the first time. However, the vast majority (I'd say 80% of the board), disagreed with me then, disagreed with me when we reacquired him, and disagreed with me at the beginning of the year when I was saying that he was the most logical choice for the fourth line.

I've always said he had some skill - enough to be an above average third liner. However, IMO, that modicum of skill has always been more than offset by his extracurricular idiocy. So, do people still feel the same way?

Very simple poll: Sean Avery - good or bad for the Rangers?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
  #2
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
When Sean doesn't take stupid penalty's, you all cheer his name and kiss his ass.

When Sean does take stupid penalty's, you want him off this team.

I don't think you guys understand how vital the role he plays is. Especially on this, stale, cold team.

We're playing at home, and are being completely outplayed. You can't blame him for trying to make something happen. There's a fine line he flirts with, and sometimes he crosses it.

That's the nature of the beast. Make peace with it, and move on.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
  #3
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
When Sean doesn't take stupid penalty's, you all cheer his name and kiss his ass.

When Sean does take stupid penalty's, you want him off this team.

I don't think you guys understand how vital the role he plays is. Especially on this, stale, cold team.

We're playing at home, and are being completely outplayed. You can't blame him for trying to make something happen. There's a fine line he flirts with, and sometimes he crosses it.

That's the nature of the beast. Make peace with it, and move on.
can't believe others don't see this.

This hockey team is lifeless.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
  #4
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
When Sean doesn't take stupid penalty's, you all cheer his name and kiss his ass.

When Sean does take stupid penalty's, you want him off this team.

I don't think you guys understand how vital the role he plays is. Especially on this, stale, cold team.

We're playing at home, and are being completely outplayed. You can't blame him for trying to make something happen. There's a fine line he flirts with, and sometimes he crosses it.

That's the nature of the beast. Make peace with it, and move on.
Well-said, not to mention that he has a target on his back after last season's suspension. He can't get away with things that he got away with a few seasons ago.

Avery's one of the few guys who actually wants to be a Ranger and makes an effort to stand up for his teammates. He is far from being the major problem on this team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
  #5
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Well-said, not to mention that he has a target on his back after last season's suspension. He can't get away with things that he got away with a few seasons ago.

Avery's one of the few guys who actually wants to be a Ranger and makes an effort to stand up for his teammates. He is far from being the major problem on this team.
If Sean didn't have the reputation he has, he would be drawing numerous penalty's a game.

That's how pathetic this league is. Refs ignore blatant penalty's against him, because of his rep. Makes me furious just thinking about it.

You made a good point about him wanting to be a Ranger. Everyone knows that this guy was made to play here. He does carry some baggage, but overall, he helps this team, more than he hurts them.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
  #6
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Well-said, not to mention that he has a target on his back after last season's suspension. He can't get away with things that he got away with a few seasons ago.

Avery's one of the few guys who actually wants to be a Ranger and makes an effort to stand up for his teammates. He is far from being the major problem on this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Sean didn't have the reputation he has, he would be drawing numerous penalty's a game.

That's how pathetic this league is. Refs ignore blatant penalty's against him, because of his rep. Makes me furious just thinking about it.

You made a good point about him wanting to be a Ranger. Everyone knows that this guy was made to play here. He does carry some baggage, but overall, he helps this team, more than he hurts them.

Ah, but see, I count that as part of what makes him BAD. Regardless of whether or not it's FAIR, that target makes it more difficult for the Rangers to win.

To take a very extreme example to make my point... imagine if the league mandated that Avery play in roller skates instead of ice skates. Would it be fair? No. Regardless, it would sure as hell make him a liability. Would you still want him to get a regular shift...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
  #7
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ah, but see, I count that as part of what makes him BAD. Regardless of whether or not it's FAIR, that target makes it more difficult for the Rangers to win.

To take a very extreme example to make my point... imagine if the league mandated that Avery play in roller skates instead of ice skates. Would it be fair? No. Regardless, it would sure as hell make him a liability. Would you still want him to get a regular shift...?
This team has the 4th best penalty kill in the league. Maybe I would care a little more about it if the penalty kill was bad.

Avery's penalties are not making it more difficult for the Rangers to win... lack of scoring, poor defensive coverage, and inconsistent effort are.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:20 PM
  #8
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ah, but see, I count that as part of what makes him BAD. Regardless of whether or not it's FAIR, that target makes it more difficult for the Rangers to win.

To take a very extreme example to make my point... imagine if the league mandated that Avery play in roller skates instead of ice skates. Would it be fair? No. Regardless, it would sure as hell make him a liability. Would you still want him to get a regular shift...?
So we should bury Avery in Hartford because of his reputation?

Sorry. He does more good for this franchise, than bad. That's the bottom line.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
  #9
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,422
vCash: 500
If Avery is bad for the team, wouldn't JT have benched his ass for the rest of the game?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
  #10
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't see how he's "bad" for the team.

The only thing that's "bad" for the team is that we don't have the depth to keep him strictly a bottom 6 player.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
  #11
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
As Avery kicks Gorges' behind this thread looks questionable at best. He just showed the team how to stand up for each other and they followed suit.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
  #12
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
As Avery kicks Gorges' behind this thread looks questionable at best. He just showed the team how to stand up for each other and they followed suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't see how he's "bad" for the team.

The only thing that's "bad" for the team is that we don't have the depth to keep him strictly a bottom 6 player.
Summed up pretty well right here.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
  #13
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't see how he's "bad" for the team.

The only thing that's "bad" for the team is that we don't have the depth to keep him strictly a bottom 6 player.
Agreed completely Jon.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
  #14
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Oh please. This comeback (through two periods) is ALL about Ryan Callahan. Sean Avery had nothing to do with it. Avery is the reason we NEEDED a comeback. Selective memories.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
  #15
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,438
vCash: 500
Good sometimes, bad sometimes.

When he come back from the penalty box after a stupid penalty and curses the coach off that is just beyond stupid.

Could you imagine if Redden did that? The whole Rangers board would have exploded yelling to get rid of the cancer.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
  #16
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Good sometimes, bad sometimes.

When he come back from the penalty box after a stupid penalty and curses the coach off that is just beyond stupid.

Could you imagine if Redden did that? The whole Rangers board would have exploded yelling to get rid of the cancer.
He does completely idiotic things at times.

I think when you look at his play as a whole, the good outweighs the bad by a good bit.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
  #17
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
.

When you can play the way Avery does and still take a regular shift, it's always going to be a good thing.

He's good for this team

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
  #18
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He does completely idiotic things at times.

I think when you look at his play as a whole, the good outweighs the bad by a good bit.
Yea I agree the good does outweigh the bad.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:40 PM
  #19
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Yelling at Torts, I don't know. It's never good to show your coach up. Never. But I don't know what was said.... and when emotions are running high and guys are competitive, sometimes people get heated. It can provide a spark sometimes. Sam and Joe just alluded to that very point. So I'm not sure what was said but I won't condemn Sean for it yet. Obviously Torts wasn't that bothered because he sent Aves right back out.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
  #20
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Do I need to say it?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
  #21
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Do I need to say it?
I mean I came in and said my part, so it's only fair for you to say yours, right?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
  #22
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
The guy is a nutjob.

And I absolutely love that he's on our team.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
  #23
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,422
vCash: 500
Avery had a bad start tonight... no doubt.

But he's been far more disciplined this season as opposed to his previous stint "2007-08". That's a fact.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
  #24
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
I don't like the fact that a player who is the disgrace of the NHL is a part of our organization. After reading the article involving Avery and Shanahan a few years ago, my fears about his true personality were realized.

What it boils down to is that he is a pretty good 3rd liner who is injured all the time and takes waay too many penalties. By the end of this contract he will have worn out his welcome with the final NHL team that gave him a chance, and he will go play in Britain or wherever they will put up with him, like Theo Fleury.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
  #25
Lex444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've been fighting the good fight and telling you guys that Sean Avery is a punk and detrimental to the team since we had him here the first time. However, the vast majority (I'd say 80% of the board), disagreed with me then, disagreed with me when we reacquired him, and disagreed with me at the beginning of the year when I was saying that he was the most logical choice for the fourth line.

I've always said he had some skill - enough to be an above average third liner. However, IMO, that modicum of skill has always been more than offset by his extracurricular idiocy. So, do people still feel the same way?

Very simple poll: Sean Avery - good or bad for the Rangers?
This was an easy one. Why dont you make your next poll if Donald Brashear is good or bad for the team?

Lex444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.