HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

will the oil show kovalchuk the money?

Old
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
GDU

vCash: 500
will the oil show kovalchuk the money?

after reading eklunds latest bs he states that the oilers are preparing to offer kovie the league max when he becomes a free agent...

now i am not trying to legitimize eklund as a source, but rather would like to talk about the history of this club and free agents....

lowe offered gomez 8 million a year as a FA

we offered hossa the same, possibly more than once...

we tried to get vanek out of buffulo by offering him huge money...

the team was prepared to pay heatly's gross bonus payment of 4 million for the sens if he was traded here...

basically history tells us that the idea of the oilers offering kovie 10million a year is not really out of the realm of possibility, especially if they can dump contracts now and before july 1st...

i would love kovie here...

i would not love one player making 10 million dollars for 10 years....

it's possible kovie would never ever consider edmonton anyways and this thread is a waste of time...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Eirhead*

Kovalchuk doesn't play here regardless. You toss him an offer anyways just to say you did your due diligence. Maybe he takes a discount to become an Edmonton Oiler? lol

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

if they do it will prove they have learned absolutely nothing.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
after reading eklunds latest bs he states that the oilers are preparing to offer kovie the league max when he becomes a free agent...

now i am not trying to legitimize eklund as a source, but rather would like to talk about the history of this club and free agents....

the team was prepared to pay heatly's gross bonus payment of 4 million for the sens if he was traded here...

basically history tells us that the idea of the oilers offering kovie 10million a year is not really out of the realm of possibility, especially if they can dump contracts now and before july 1st...

it's possible kovie would never ever consider edmonton anyways and this thread is a waste of time...

1.Almost 100% of the stuff Eklund says is ********

2.People need to quit posting the **** that Eklund says.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
oil slick

a)I'd love to see where all this cap space is going to come from.
b)I'd love to see Kovalchuk's reaction to signing with the 30th place team located in a fish bowl in northern alberta.

Save yourself some grief and forget about it.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
alanschu

God I hope not.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deanmoriarty

I like to think this management isn't THAT stupid. But it wouldn't shock me.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
1.Almost 100% of the stuff Eklund says is ********

2.People need to quit posting the **** that Eklund says.
If you dont like reading, then dont. Some of us just like to talk about the rumors for the fun of it. Think how many post you have done over and over again about Eklund. Let it go and if we want to talk about it we will.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Matador

Its the Oilers M.O. to go after players like Kovalchuck. I don't suspect it will change this offseason.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If you dont like reading, then dont. Some of us just like to talk about the rumors for the fun of it. Think how many post you have done over and over again about Eklund. Let it go and if we want to talk about it we will.

I haven't done a single post from the guy.The only things I have ever done was call him down because he continues to put down very dumb rumours that are nowhere near going to happen.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
The management would be stupid not to at least put in a call, but at the sametime if they give him 11mil I think the stupidty shown we be twice as bad.

I would think the odds are very slim that Kovalchuk even responds to our offer, but you have to at least make a pitch for a guy like him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
BattleGuy

The Oilers will offer him an 8 year contract at league max. He will decline the offer and it will be back to business as usual.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
dixs35

just ridiculous to think kovy would come here, and if tambo is even sniffing around that idea he needs to be fired. this summer's sideshow and last summer's begging for hossa is exactly why no one will come here because it brings bad press and an aura that something is wrong here, which further discourages others from signing. the oil need to grow through the draft which is a 3 or 4 year process and if tambo wants a big name player to come here show that edmonton is playoff team and has a chance to compete until leave the pipe dreams to what they are DREAMS.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
if they do it will prove they have learned absolutely nothing.
They will, and they haven't.

It wasn't that long ago where a report came out that said something like "Oilers management is convinced they need a superstar".

I wish I had a link, or knew more about where it was from, but it wasn't that long ago, and it was from an actual source (aka, not Eklund/Garrioch/Brooks/etc.). I know it's kinda vague, but it's reason enough for me to see that this organization has no direction or clue as to what they're doing.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:

nailed it on the last line.
Not going to happen. Ever.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
just ridiculous to think kovy would come here, and if tambo is even sniffing around that idea he needs to be fired. this summer's sideshow and last summer's begging for hossa is exactly why no one will come here because it brings bad press and an aura that something is wrong here, which further discourages others from signing. the oil need to grow through the draft which is a 3 or 4 year process and if tambo wants a big name player to come here show that edmonton is playoff team and has a chance to compete until leave the pipe dreams to what they are DREAMS.
meh... and one could say that if we somehow have the cap room and dont even make a pitch then Tambo should be be fired.

If by miracle we are able to shed Horcoff's salary along with the rumored guys like Souray\Gilbert\Visnovsky\Moreau etc then making a pitch for Kovy becomes a possibility.. 10M x 10yrs playing with linemates like Hemsky + Seguin and fellow countrymen like khabi and grebs (and Kabanov ) could seem attractive.

Kovy-Seguin-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Omark
Eberle-Brule-Potulny
Jacques-xxx-Stortini
= ~ 28M

assuming Horc,POS, Cogs, Pouliot and Nilsson disappear into thin air

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Nihiliste

To put it this way, he'd probably rather go back to Atlanta than to Edmonton

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Fully expect the Oilers to throw money at Kovalchuk, they've been very predictable the last few years.

And when that likely fails(Kovie has already shown he wants to be on a competitive team), they'll throw money at Marleau and so on until someone bites and they end up with a large contract on a player who may or may not be able to live up to it. All the while ignoring critical holes on the team(aka, defensemen and forwards who can play defense).

It's a tempting thought though, second best goal scorer in the league on the team added to Hemsky, Hall/Seguin, Gagner, Visnovsky, and a healthy goaltender. The Oilers PR staff would have an easy time selling hope to the masses of casual fans with that type of addition.

Tarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
okgooil

Quote:

Never heard this one before. I heard we were interested in him, but I dont' think you can confirm this one.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
To put it this way, he'd probably rather go back to Atlanta than to Edmonton
Agreed and this thread is a complete waste of time.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Game 8

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." "” Albert Einstein

Game 8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
meh... and one could say that if we somehow have the cap room and dont even make a pitch then Tambo should be be fired.

If by miracle we are able to shed Horcoff's salary along with the rumored guys like Souray\Gilbert\Visnovsky\Moreau etc then making a pitch for Kovy becomes a possibility.. 10M x 10yrs playing with linemates like Hemsky + Seguin and fellow countrymen like khabi and grebs (and Kabanov ) could seem attractive.

Kovy-Seguin-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Omark
Eberle-Brule-Potulny
Jacques-xxx-Stortini
= ~ 28M

assuming Horc,POS, Cogs, Pouliot and Nilsson disappear into thin air
What's the point in even picking up Kovalchuk in that case? That's still not a playoff team.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Agreed and this thread is a complete waste of time.
9 out of every 10 thread is.. judging from Oilers' history there is a chance that Tambo\Katz will make a pitch for Kovy... it may not be the right thing but there is no harm in discussing it.. People who are so repelled by it dont need to click on this thread.

Kovalchuk as an UFA would not be costing us anything but $$ .. People are getting upset like we would have to give up MPS + Eberle for him. It all comes down to $$ ..capspace.. We need to actively shop guys like Horcoff and Gilbert if we want some hope of making a splash in the next 3 yrs..

Old
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Cam98

no thank you, kovie can go to khl

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
What's the point in even picking up Kovalchuk in that case? That's still not a playoff team.
maybe not next season... but the season after it would be as good as any team in west. <MSP and Lander would also be making a jump to NHL..