HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lehtonen to DAL for Ivan Vishnevskiy + 4th

Old
02-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Magnus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
There's no pressure on him right now. He couldn't be in a more pressure-free place right now.

He's got until the trade deadline, then he has the offseason, then he has until next trade deadline, when more guys are UFAs-to-be.

There is no quick fix for this team, and reactionary trades will do nothing to help in the long run.
Really? I don't know what reality you're living in, but those comments are out to lunch. I know you like to apologize for Tambo dithering for the past year, but do you actually even believe what you write?
He has managed a team into a last place position, the worst in team history. City wide people are talking about how horrible the team is. Local media is covering stories about how people can't even give away tickets to games. The team's sell-out streak is history. Local media and writers like Brownlee and Gregor are mocking Tambo's dithering and the team's incompetence on almost a daily basis. The Oiler's own radio play-by-play guy is cutting down the performance of the team and its players on air. Many fans are already calling for him to be fired, deservedly so. If you think that under those conditions, he feels no pressure, then your assessment skills are as out of whack as Tambellini's.
I think most people are quite tired of hearing the excuses. We were told last summer that there would be changes, but it didn't happen. We were told to wait till the entry draft, but still nothing happened. We were told to wait until after training camp after clubs had assessed their line-ups. Nothing. Wait till the trade deadline. Well, we'll see what happens, but it seems like the the excuse of waiting until summer is already set to be rolled out. Nobody wants him to make a bad trade, but it seems like other GMs have had no problem making trades. I suppose we should all hop onboard the Tambellini 5-year assessment plan.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Expect to see Turco moved at the deadline for a fair return.

Chicago, Detroit, Washington, Tampa and Philly seeming like the most likely destinations to me.

Chicago makes a ton of sense. Rental, but they can move out a bigger salary.
He'll be an Oiler. We're the 35+ Center for goalies.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Really? I don't know what reality you're living in, but those comments are out to lunch. I know you like to apologize for Tambo dithering for the past year, but do you actually even believe what you write?
He has managed a team into a last place position, the worst in team history. City wide people are talking about how horrible the team is. Local media is covering stories about how people can't even give away tickets to games. The team's sell-out streak is history. Local media and writers like Brownlee and Gregor are mocking Tambo's dithering and the team's incompetence on almost a daily basis. The Oiler's own radio play-by-play guy is cutting down the performance of the team and its players on air. Many fans are already calling for him to be fired, deservedly so. If you think that under those conditions, he feels no pressure, then your assessment skills are as out of whack as Tambellini's.
I think most people are quite tired of hearing the excuses. We were told last summer that there would be changes, but it didn't happen. We were told to wait till the entry draft, but still nothing happened. We were told to wait until after training camp after clubs had assessed their line-ups. Nothing. Wait till the trade deadline. Well, we'll see what happens, but it seems like the the excuse of waiting until summer is already set to be rolled out. Nobody wants him to make a bad trade, but it seems like other GMs have had no problem making trades. I suppose we should all hop onboard the Tambellini 5-year assessment plan.
1. Who's telling you this stuff? You were told to wait till the draft by who? The media? Other fans?

2. You fire Tambellini, you can bring in Lou Lamoriello, Ken Holland, and whoever else you want... they're not fixing this team anytime soon. You list everything you think is bad about Tambellini, but not once do you say what you want done about that will help the team.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Ammerhammer

i really dont see why ppl are bashing lehtonen so much....... i do think he is a good goalie that played for a bad team!!! he does get injured but oilers # 1 tendy is not that much different .. he was always getting injured before coming to edmonton

Ammerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammerhammer View Post
i really dont see why ppl are bashing lehtonen so much....... i do think he is a good goalie that played for a bad team!!! he does get injured but oilers # 1 tendy is not that much different .. he was always getting injured before coming to edmonton
If you haven't seen people bashing Khabi for being a glass goalie, you haven't been around here long enough.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie

Lehtonen to Dal for Vishnevsky and a pick appears to be tentatively done, pending completion of Dal-Chi. Not official yet tho.

Domino's baby, domino's! LOL
What does pizza have to do with it?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Well said.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:04 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
I don't get what you don't get about what Seachd said. Believing that Tambellini is responsible and/or has done a bad job and having concerns about making a trade now are not mutually exclusive thoughts. Like Seachd, I don't see what comparing what other GMs are doing now with what Tambellini is doing now means anything. Most other GMs are still thinking about playoffs. Tambellini clearly is not. As a resut, he has no need NOW to make a trade unless there is a compelling argument as to why a trade he can make now is better than other options to clear away salary that he might do later before next season. So far I haven't heard one yet.

In my mind, the most important thing to think about is that if there is any thought about burying salaries in the AHL for next year's cap space, that will happen next year, not this year.

The bottom line is that just because Seachd (or I) don't believe it means much one way or the other whether Tambellini has made a trade yet this month says nothing at all about whether we believe Tambellini is a good or bad GM.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I don't get what you don't get about what Seachd said. Believing that Tambellini is responsible and/or has done a bad job and having concerns about making a trade now are not mutually exclusive thoughts. Like Seachd, I don't see what comparing what other GMs are doing now with what Tambellini is doing now means anything. Most other GMs are still thinking about playoffs. Tambellini clearly is not. As a resut, he has no need NOW to make a trade unless there is a compelling argument as to why a trade he can make now is better than other options to clear away salary that he might do later before next season. So far I haven't heard one yet.

In my mind, the most important thing to think about is that if there is any thought about burying salaries in the AHL for next year's cap space, that will happen next year, not this year.
I could certainly be wrong. But I would think Moreau or Staios would likely be easier to move now as opposed to the Summer. The urgency of making the playoffs or getting them further in the post season is a more distant bell in the Summer (in other words they are less prone to take on a riskier contract on an aging vet). As I said earlier they might start thinking about looking for similar comparable players to those two that are on the UFA market a cheaper price in money and no assets.

For the second part. I have not yet (and I feel I am not the only one to think this) seen anything that makes me think this management team has the wherewithal to send a good soldier vet like Staios or Moreau to the minors. I just have the feeling on that that I will not believe it until I actually see it happen. I could see them making a bad Summer time trade just to avoid having to do that to clear space if needed. I personally with respect to Moreau especially would rather not have him on this team come next season (for reasons I have stated many times in the past). So with those thoughts in mind, I feel the best shot of that actually happening would be at the trade deadline coming up shortly. So I hope there is a little bit of urgency on that front.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Use your brain. Think. What good is making a trade now? Get a 7th round pick for Pisani or Comrie? No one wants Horcoff. Frankly, there's very little that the Oilers can get anything for (not named Gagner, or young prospect). We don't have a lot of UFA worth anything. So there's not much difference between trading now, or on draft day.

AND WE WANT TO LOSE. EVERY SINGLE GAME. TO GET THE #1 PICK. losing IS GOOD.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:54 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Use your brain. Think. What good is making a trade now? Get a 7th round pick for Pisani or Comrie? No one wants Horcoff. Frankly, there's very little that the Oilers can get anything for (not named Gagner, or young prospect). We don't have a lot of UFA worth anything. So there's not much difference between trading now, or on draft day.

doesnt matter if we lose every game-- if we lose the draft we go second(still say the oilers will go on a winning streak that will cause this board to implode)

As for this trade

I love how some habs fans believes that this infact increases the value of price--I think Letanen has more value then Price and that in fact this trade takes one team out of the price equation and when dallas moves Turco--that takes a second team out

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:58 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

We need to take full advantage of every opportunity to off-load our stinkers. That means trade players that arent going to be here next year with expiring contracts (Grebs, Pisani, Comrie) for whatever you can get.

And if you can off load some unwanted contracts (Moreau etc) you do that too. Otherwise you are passing up an opportunity (teams may be more compelled to take our players now than in the summer) and not exercising due diligence.

Im not saying we should be looking for players in return, unless they are replacing older more expensive players for cheaper younger players or prospects/picks. If you try and strike out, well, at least you tried. But to do nothing would be negligence and a cause for termination imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
doesnt matter if we lose every game-- if we lose the draft we go second(still say the oilers will go on a winning streak that will cause this board to implode)

As for this trade

I love how some habs fans believes that this infact increases the value of price--I think Letanen has more value then Price and that in fact this trade takes one team out of the price equation and when dallas moves Turco--that takes a second team out
The Oilers will not go on any winning streak. Someone should make an Aviator bet with you.

02-10-2010, 02:06 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The Oilers will not go on any winning streak. Someone should make an Aviator bet with you.
Yes. Someone could make him wear something decent for a change.

Old
02-10-2010, 02:08 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We need to take full advantage of every opportunity to off-load our stinkers. That means trade players that arent going to be here next year with expiring contracts (Grebs, Pisani, Comrie) for whatever you can get.

And if you can off load some unwanted contracts (Moreau etc) you do that too. Otherwise you are passing up an opportunity (teams may be more compelled to take our players now than in the summer) and not exercising due diligence.

Im not saying we should be looking for players in return, unless they are replacing older more expensive players for cheaper younger players or prospects/picks. If you try and strike out, well, at least you tried. But to do nothing would be negligence and a cause for termination imo.
grebs is a RFA

Only Comrie, Struds and Pisani are soon to be UFA's--

Everyone says lets trade for cheaper contracts and I say--what, who, where and when

What team can take the contracts
who would the oilers get back that makes less then the players sending away
Where I can do I see the viable plan
when will it happen

I am all aboard at dumping a big contract--but finding a team to take the contract or contracts off the oilers hands is the hard part.

All players on the Oilers roster is at an all time low and we could not give some of our players away.

There is no quick fix and what is getting to me, some people think they cans snap their fingers and do a trade. The is one big problem I think tambo is facing--he may have to give something of value away for nothing to get a team to take one of the contracts

With the obvious blow out sales in TO and Thrasherville==that puts Kubina and Kaberle on the market and that pushes down the value of Lub and Souray(if they could have traded either at this point)

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
grebs is a RFA
So what? He still costs the team he goes to nothing next year and can be a pure rental. They dont have to offer him anything next year. I know I wouldnt.

Old
02-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
So what? He still costs the team he goes to nothing next year and can be a pure rental. They dont have to offer him anything next year.
Grebs and Struds should not be back next season.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:58 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Because there's such a rush?
Exactly my thoughts. Why the urgency?

Quote:
There's no pressure on him right now. He couldn't be in a more pressure-free place right now.

He's got until the trade deadline, then he has the offseason, then he has until next trade deadline, when more guys are UFAs-to-be.

There is no quick fix for this team, and reactionary trades will do nothing to help in the long run.
Once again, I agree. There's no quick fix. Might as well just move forward with the mess at hand and consider yourself somewhat fortunate that you are in a position for a very high draft pick. I assume that this pick will be a much better pick than what was anticipated by Oilers' management at the beginning of the year. Of course you can't say publically that you are pleased with the high pick, but you have to think that they think of it as a little bit of good fortune. It beats the heck out of a 9th or 10th pick.

Quote:
1. Who's telling you this stuff? You were told to wait till the draft by who? The media? Other fans?

2. You fire Tambellini, you can bring in Lou Lamoriello, Ken Holland, and whoever else you want... they're not fixing this team anytime soon. You list everything you think is bad about Tambellini, but not once do you say what you want done about that will help the team.
Exactly. There's nothing that can be done as a quick fix here. I don't get Oilers' fans. They say "blow it up, blow it up", but when that scenario actually unfolds they kvetch and complain about "needing to do something now".

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Why does everyone bash the oilers? Everybody hates the oilers, the players on their team and thinks they will lose. We need to stop bashing the oilers

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:17 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:

Pisani,Comrie and Strudwick should be gone by the deadline.

Grebeshkov could be gone as well, I'm 50/50 on him, if the Oilers decide to let him go, then the Oilers will have to replace him with someone offensive minded like him.

Should be shopping Moreau, Staios heavily and their best value will be at the deadline. Nilsson and O'Sullivan are in the same boat but likely to have the same value in the offseason. If none of those players can be moved than buyouts have to be a very realistic option for them in the offseason.

The fact of the matter is the Oilers need to have a different looking team, I would say an overhaul of around 40-45% of the team should be moved on before the start of next year.

While people are saying Tambellini can't or won't do anything with this team, he does need to do something, he needs to start dismantling it.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:

Well actually I think he's saying stop dithering and start making changes to improve the team.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Care for an avatar bet on that? The Oilers will not draft above the 5th spot.

Last edited by Eytinge: 02-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
yet another team dumping player thus making it harder for us to move ours. Time to get on the phone tambo or else we will be stuck with all our players.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
mcote97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Atlanta is 16 points ahead of us with a game in hand...we just lost another 6-1 beauty to Phoenix. Do you really believe we're going to pull out of it at this point?

It's a good return for Waddell, Vishnevsky is a good prospect and picking up an additional fourth for a goalie that hasn't played a game all this year is pretty shrewd. Good for him and the Thrashers.
I know we dont stand a chance catching Atl, but i just like all really hope for a sell-off that is not coming.

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Tambo should have known that Horcoff was going to have such a brutal year, and Souray would be hurt twice and only a shadow of himself when in the lineup. What a fool that he didn't realize that Hemsky would miss half the season, and Khaby would be ineffective. It was obvious to all but him that Greb's was going to play hot potato every time he touches the puck, and Gilbert will refuse to hit anyone. The writing was on the wall that Moreau, Staois and Pisani's bodies prevent them from being effective penalty killers, but somehow he missed that memo. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that he beleived Jason Strudwick to be a top 3 defensman, JDD a #1 goalie and Ryan Potulny a 1st line centre.
I can't believe he hired Pat Quinn...I mean what has he ever done?

Tambo has made one obvious mistake after another. He is obviously rejecting all trade offers coming his way for Moreau, Staios, Pisani, Horcoff, Souray and Khabby...I'm sure each team in the league has inquired about adding these gems to their payroll, but Tambo is too incopetent to pull the trigger.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote