HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turco to Philly Discussion

Old
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Again, so well this season that he's been replaced by someone who has made their hay being the goalie for the Atlanta Thrashers, and has not played an NHL game yet. That makes me REAL confident about trading for someone they've shown they're not keeping around. I'd take him if he came via re-entry waivers only.
There could be a number of financial considerations as to why Turco is being replaced by a younger, cheaper, less experienced goaltender. The ownership situation in Dallas is a mess and, even if it wasn't, they probably don't want to pay Turco over $5M a season. I wouldn't want the Flyers to lock him up long term for that kind of money, either.

He would be a decent playoff rental, if the Flyers could afford it. They can't, and that's why I don't want to see them lose a strong piece off the roster to make room for him.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-10-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typing mistakes all over the place today
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'd rather keep Briere.
I would love to dump Briere on some unsuspecting fool, but for Turco? Meh.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
This is what I don't get-- we don't really need to call up someone else like Legein. Just move Giroux or JVR to the top six, and we've got 6 appropriate forwards for the top two lines and six appropriate forwards for the bottom two lines. The real problem is not having a ******* third line center, because then the third line's kinda just awkward.
I disagree. I think we need to plug 1 to 2 offensive guys in there as one of our problems is a lack of consistent scoring. I am fine with JVR-Giroux-Asham. They have chemistry and score at an okay rate. But our top 2 lines just go through these massive droughts. I don't know maybe moving giroux/jvr up would help but I am not convinced. I think our lack of a superstar offensive player though means that we need to try and have 3 scoring lines.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
There could be a number of financial considerations as to why Turco is being replaced by a younger, cheaper, less experienced goaltender. The ownership situation in Dallas is a mess and, even if it wasn't, they porbably don't want to pay Turco over $5M a season. I wouldn't want the Flyers to lock him up long term for that kind of money, either.

He would be a decent playoff rental, if the Flyers could afford it. They can't, and that's why I don't want to see them lose a strong piece off the roster to make room for him.
If Emery is done (and it's not like I really trust him either), and the choices are Turco, Leighton, or Boucher, and things here are working (even if they trade Briere), I'll take Turco (massive leap of faith, I know). How's that?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I wonder how Emery,Leighton or Boucher would do with that craptastic defense in Dallas right now.
Not saying I am 100 percent on board with getting Turco, just wondering what people think about that. Turco has a .910 save percentage behind a **** defense.
Not that this happens anyway. Only way this would even happen if Briere waived his NTC and that is not going to happen.
Hartnell has one too, so yeah scratch that.
We can win with Leighton and Boucher if Emery is out for the year right?
right?
Well if it makes you feel better they weren't going to win this year regardless.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
If Emery is done (and it's not like I really trust him either), and the choices are Turco, Leighton, or Boucher, and things here are working (even if they trade Briere), I'll take Turco. How's that?
You'd send away Briere for an inevitable first round playoff choke by Turco?

That's what Holmgren has to weigh. Losing Briere's contract is a huge bonus, but losing Briere the player makes me hesitant. Holmgren may not have a choice, if Emery is lost for the season.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
I disagree. I think we need to plug 1 to 2 offensive guys in there as one of our problems is a lack of consistent scoring. I am fine with JVR-Giroux-Asham. They have chemistry and score at an okay rate. But our top 2 lines just go through these massive droughts. I don't know maybe moving giroux/jvr up would help but I am not convinced. I think our lack of a superstar offensive player though means that we need to try and have 3 scoring lines.
Why would it make more sense to try to run three scoring lines when we don't have a superstar player? It's just further diluting our offensive players.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Well if it makes you feel better they weren't going to win this year regardless.
This is supposed to be a Cup contender right? If Emery is indeed out for the season, there is no way in hell we can ride Leighton and Boucher for the rest of the year.
When was the last time Boucher played?
But we are right up against the Cap and our best trade assets for getting a top notch goalie is Briere and Hartnell. but they have NTC.
Who else do you give up? JVR? Giroux?
I dont feel better about this at all. Our stupid GM has to give out all these NTC and it handcuffs what this team needs to do.
Then there is the Jones debacle, and many many other things.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Why would it make more sense to try to run three scoring lines when we don't have a superstar player? It's just further diluting our offensive players.
Because if you have a superstar you can have a line that can be the focus you can have an it line. And a secondary line. I don't think having 3 scoring lines dilutes the offensive players if you put an offensive player in their place. But currently we put Powe/Carcillo in their place. If Leino/whoever can be put there instead it isn't as big an issue. By rolling 3 scoring lines I think you open up the chances more for your offensive players. And if we condense into 2 scoring lines our third and fourth line will be black holes of offense. And I dont think the 2 scoring lines we'd create would be good enough to carry the team. Whereas a team with a superstar..their top 2 can be good enough to carry a team.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You'd send away Briere for an inevitable first round playoff choke by Turco?

That's what Holmgren has to weigh. Losing Briere's contract is a huge bonus, but losing Briere the player makes me hesitant. Holmgren may not have a choice, if Emery is lost for the season.
I would assume we'd take the extra cap space we would end up having and bring in an actual 3rd line center with it, who I can count on to chip in a couple extra goals. Or if it's Hartnell and not Briere that's moved and somehow do something else with cap space to do that, at least he would be more useful than Hartnell. I had Kyle Brodziak picked out this time last year as someone like that.

Old
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenTone View Post
http://broadstreetscoop.wordpress.com/

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio last week "that [Turco deal] is not happening. There is no chance of that happening. If we had interest in Marty Turco, we’d certainly look at him over the summer. We can’t take that cap hit [at that spot]."
Well, then the Flyers will be getting Turco.
Of the goalies the Flyers have inquired about it's hard to say, but Turco is probably the best option cap aside and I can't really see them acquiring Biron again.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Lab Monkey

Turco is trash, I hope to hell we don't get him. We need to look for talented goalies not aging useless first round choke performers

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:17 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Well, then the Flyers will be getting Turco.
Of the goalies the Flyers have inquired about it's hard to say, but Turco is probably the best option cap aside and I can't really see them acquiring Biron again.
im still riding the jaroslav halak bandwagon

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:30 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
im still riding the jaroslav halak bandwagon
I'd prefer Price/Halak but the asking price is too much. Perhaps we go after Schneider or someone else?

Depends on Emery's condition.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:33 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
There could be a number of financial considerations as to why Turco is being replaced by a younger, cheaper, less experienced goaltender. The ownership situation in Dallas is a mess and, even if it wasn't, they probably don't want to pay Turco over $5M a season. I wouldn't want the Flyers to lock him up long term for that kind of money, either.
It seems most Stars fans wouldn't want to take Briere back in a trade precisely for this reason. With Briere making 7 million the next 3 years in salary it seems to be a no go from them. They could probably do Hartnell, but getting rid of Briere's contract would be so much sweeter for us.

Back to the topic of our ownership situation, as GKJ has said a deal like this would never be approved by Snider anyway. The myopicracy of this organization will forever be a giant thorn in all of our backsides. We'll always go after the big name instead of getting key role players and we'll never be able to afford a good goalie because of it. If Snider seriously thinks we can win this year with a gimpy Emery and Leighton, he's as crazy as a clown.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1059
Pierre LeBrun mentioned Nashville.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/n...-domino-effect

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun: Well, I think the Stars had looked at three young netminders: Lehtonen, Canucks prospect Cory Schneider and red-hot Canadiens netminder Jaroslav Halak. The talks with Montreal on Halak came earlier this season when his stock wasn't so darn high. So Lehtonen is was; I think he's a worthy, buy-low gamble on the part of Nieuwendyk, a future franchise goalie-in-the-making that had lost his way in Atlanta.

If I'm Nieuwendyk, I'm trying to sign Lehtonen (RFA July 1) to extension ASAP, hoping the fact that the netminder hasn't played since April 2009 because of double back surgeries will help you get a bargain contract. Under the financially strapped Tom Hicks, the Stars need to save every dime until they find a new owner. Turco remains a top-flight netminder in my mind. If Ray Emery's hip doesn't get better or if he does need surgery, you wonder if the Flyers shouldn't be trying to find a way to add insurance in either Turco or Martin Biron. Or the Blackhawks? You keep hearing whispers from people around the league that Chicago wants to upgrade in goal, although it's on the blueline where I think the Hawks will add one more body.

Burnside: Well, we saw Antti Niemi start in back-to-back games for the Hawks, and that's not good news for Cristobal Huet; but a move by either the Blackhawks or Flyers would require some lineup juggling unless Emery goes back on the injured list. If it's simply a matter of not feeling comfortable with either Huet or Emery (or Michael Leighton, who's been terrific for the Flyers), then you're looking at having to bury some salary in the minors, which most NHL owners are uncomfortable doing for a variety of reasons.

Turco makes $5.4 million this season, which almost guarantees the Stars won't be able to move him until closer to the March 3 trade deadline as opposed to this week before the Olympic roster freeze goes into effect. You're right about Lehtonen being low-risk, but unless he makes an about-face in terms of his conditioning and ability to mentally compete, he will end up simply eating cap space in Dallas.

LeBrun: Another option for the Flyers should Emery need surgery (and at this point, that remains unclear) might be one of the Nashville netminders. Pekka Rinne ($725,000 cap hit) and Dan Ellis ($1.75-million cap hit) are both slated for unrestricted free agency. Predators GM David Poile has told both of us he'll be talking to the goalies' agents during the upcoming Olympic break. My sense is if Poile can get one or the other under contract during the break, the remaining unsigned goalie could possibly be on the move come March 3 as the Preds try to add some much-needed offensive depth.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I mentioned Rinne several times in the last week or so.

damn guy stealing my ideas

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I mentioned Rinne several times in the last week or so.

damn guy stealing my ideas
I would LOVE Pekka Rinne. That would be perfect. The guy has great size but needs some work. Still young for a goalie (27) so worth it.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I wonder if Nashville would take Hartnell back for Rinne

Old
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
FlyerX

Turco been very inconsistent since the lockout. I wouldn't give up more than a lower pick for him if I was going to take him at all and I don't want or need him.

Plus the salary cap issue, I don't see how the Flyers could bring him on without losing a big contract and they're all tied up in players we need. The Flyers don't have much depth up front or on the blue line. I'm OK with Leighton and Emery with Boosh as a #3. They've been fine this year, it's the inconsistent scoring that's the problem.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If the Stars are shedding salary, there is no way we pick-up an expiring contract for them and then send salary back in the form of Briere or Hartnell. So, I am guessing that it's just not possible.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
I wonder if Nashville would take Hartnell back for Rinne
That would work real well for them imo. Forward that they need and we get a goalie and cap space....

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The guy has great size but needs some work. Still young for a goalie (27) so worth it.
Sounds like that dude who played with Ottawa a while ago.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Nashville sounds like a winner. Let's get it done so Habs fans stop coming here.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I like Rinne.

Hartnell for Rinne? I'm not so sure if he would be willing to waive his clause in his contract.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote