HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gunnarsson's potential

Old
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
BlueAndWhite

vCash: 500
I see a lot of Kenny Jonsson in him. A little less jam perhaps.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

6.0 C...

He's really impressed me. Coming over from Sweden I was expecting him to develop into a solid bottom-pairing defender. But his play at both ends of the ice has been promising.

02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
embracedbias

I think his potential is a less physical, but more intelligent Francois Beauchemin.

I think he's great.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Courage*

He's a well-rounded player, but I think his strengths lie in his decision-making, positioning and craftiness in his own zone. He plays his angles well, gets good position on players along the wall and is very good with his stick - getting it into lanes, blocking passes, pokechecks, etc. His puck-moving is good, but I'm not sure he has high-level vision, he's just smart and efficient. He may eventually put up a few points, but I don't expect him to be a big scorer, his mentality isn't creative or aggressive enough to be a serious offensive threat. Between 20 and 30 points average. Though, I'd like to watch him in more situations to see if there is some untapped offensive ability there.

I suspect he tops out as a very solid second pairing Jack-of-all-trades, who can be counted on to play big minutes in defensive and PK situations.

I think he needs to bulk up a little, and he has the frame to handle it. A tiny bit more edge in his game would keep opposing forwards just a little more honest, too, but he's always going to rely on technique rather than brawn to get the job done, even with his size.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Gunnarsson a new Kenny Jönsson? I don't really see the resemblance. Gunnarsson has a better physical play and Jönsson had ridiculous hockey sense (almost Lidström-good, imho). Gunnarsson doesn't have that hockey sense but he is very good at making the simple play and do most things well. Lets all hope Gunnarssons career won't get destroyed by concussions like Kennys was.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Gunnarsson a new Kenny Jönsson? I don't really see the resemblance. Gunnarsson has a better physical play and Jönsson had ridiculous hockey sense (almost Lidström-good, imho). Lets hope Gunnarssons career won't get destroyed by concussions like Kennys was.
I agree the comparison isn't fair based on ability or style. Jonsson was perhaps one of the more underrated (and I don't use that word often) defensive players in the league during his time in the NHL. Gunnarsson has some of that intelligence (a lot of Swedish players do, it's one of the things I like about them) but I don't think that Gunnarsson has anywhere near the top-end that Jonsson did. And yeah, the concussions were a crying shame.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Gunnarsson a new Kenny Jönsson? I don't really see the resemblance. Gunnarsson has a better physical play and Jönsson had ridiculous hockey sense (almost Lidström-good, imho). Gunnarsson doesn't have that hockey sense but he is very good at making the simple play and do most things well. Lets all hope Gunnarssons career won't get destroyed by concussions like Kennys was.
Maybe you're right, maybe I'm remembering Jonsson as a different player (I was barely a teen during his peak).

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
Maybe you're right, maybe I'm remembering Jonsson as a different player (I was barely a teen during his peak).
Kenny and Gunnar can both move the puck and have sound fundementals (Swedes are commonly well coached, but lack emotion - maybe they are too wrapped up in their teachings). Kenny and Kalle also resemble each other skating wise. The difference is that Kenny knew exactly when to jump on the rush, and Gunnarsson's instinct is to stay back for now. That you could possibly see change with increasing comfort and confidence, as Swedish D-men are taught to rush. The Swedish system is all about puck possession, which means you have to have offensive minded d-men ready to go on the break out, given how often centers get caught deep in the defensive zone, or you are forced to dump it out in the neutral zone and chase.

As far as the slapper is concerned. Kalle doesn't have a rocket of a shot, but it isn't his game anyway. He'll shoot for the deflection like most mordern defensemen are taught these days. Albeit, his goal in the WCH bronze game last year was a ringer.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Stringer Bell

Hmm. Maybe he's near his potential then? Everyone is talking about his potential to be a bottom 4 blue liner or a top 4 defenseman and I'm so confused because as of now that's what he exactly is in my mind. This guy is pretty damn good at both ends of the rink. When I think of a number 5 or 6 defenseman, I think of a Jeff Finger or a Garnett Exelby. Players that are severely limited, or limited to one end of the rink like they are. Look at the bottom two for most teams and you'll find players like this - but Gunnarsson is so much more, already.

I'll certainly hold my breath though. Schenn last year played as a top 4 defenseman in my mind so I thought the sky was the limit but this year he showed that he was barely NHL calibre (really picked it up in the last 15 games or so though). So who knows, maybe Gunnarsson will show inconsistency next year or simply slip into a slump. I don't know.

But if he played exactly like this for the rest of his career he'd be a second pairing defender in my book. The only reason he may not ever be a top pairing d-man is because he doesn't look like he will ever truly excel in either area of the game though I feel like he will be above average in both (which may be better).

35-45 points with amazing two-way ability in my book. And dare I say he already looks like that player most of the time...

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:38 AM
BlueMapleDawg

People will be saying: Lidstrom who?

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:42 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
People will be saying: Lidstrom who?
you shall be quote by many a troll

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Snipeshow

Probably like a Paul Coffey.

Snipeshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Tiger Blood

I'm thinking his style and ceiling is similar to Brent Seabrook.

Tiger Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Geese_Howard*

I see a Edler type player.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:48 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
I don't think we've got a Kubina type player here.
Phaneuf has all the offensive skills Kubina had, as good defensively and 5X the competitor that Kubina ever was.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Gunnarson? I'm not certain I ever heard of him before this season. He has not been a pleasant surprise, he is a shock to me. The fact he played was a surprise, and the fact he has played his way to stay with the team and get 20+ minutes every night.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I see a lot of Wayne Gretzky in Gunnarsson.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
johnny_rudeboy

What is potential compared to Gunnarsson?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
What is potential compared to Gunnarsson?
Nil.

Gunnarsson is WAR!

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Turk Broda

why do trolls bother with their lame comments???

I'm a big fan of Gunnarsson. I see him being in our top 2 pairing within two or three years. And I think people overrate Strahlman. I liked his offence, but I wasn't sold on his play in his own zone. That being said I think he should have been kept and developed. Oh well, hopefully they don't give up on Gunnar (Wilson seems to be a fan).

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post

I'm a big fan of Gunnarsson. I see him being in our top 2 pairing within two or three years. And I think people overrate Strahlman. I liked his offence, but I wasn't sold on his play in his own zone. That being said I think he should have been kept and developed. Oh well, hopefully they don't give up on Gunnar (Wilson seems to be a fan).
everyone has their own opinion.

He seems to have found a spot in Columbus. 20 PPP to date.

It should be noted also that since the defensive minded Hitchcock got fired stralmans numbers have started to really take off.

People have this massive hard on for kaberle but his play in his own zone is just as bad as stralmans ever was.

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
everyone has their own opinion.

He seems to have found a spot in Columbus. 20 PPP to date.

It should be noted also that since the defensive minded Hitchcock got fired stralmans numbers have started to really take off.

People have this massive hard on for kaberle but his play in his own zone is just as bad as stralmans ever was.
Interestingly, Columbus fans (some of them, anyway) seem anxious to move Stralman despite his production.

As far as Gunnar goes, it's hard to get a good read on his upside this early, but based on the poise and hockey IQ he's demonstrated to date I would say he's already playing at a second-pairing level. Could he have upside beyond that? I would have to think, at only 23 and playing his first hockey in North America, it's certainly possible.

But even if this was as good as he got, I'd still be very happy with the addition.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post

The emergence of Gunner made Stralman redundant, he kept falling further down the depth chart. Seems we kept the right one, the difference between the two isn't close.

IMO, Stralman will be out of the league before long.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
The emergence of Gunner made Stralman redundant, he kept falling further down the depth chart. Seems we kept the right one, the difference between the two isn't close.

IMO, Stralman will be out of the league before long.
Why, because offensive defensemen are not wanted in the NHL? The guy has more points than Dion Phaneuf.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
JL17

His comparsion to me is Kaberle minus the softness in his own end and Carl is willing to shoot more.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote