HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo-Florida

Old
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
size, physicality, offensive and defensive abilities are all very similar.

Ballard is a better skater, and that's about the only difference.
Not true - if you compare their stats since the lockout, despite having a reputation as an offensive defenseman, Spacek has produced only 22 more points than Ballard.
It's not even remotely close in terms of physicality - Ballard has registered 717 hits since then, while Spacek has only 384. Ballard has also blocked nearly 200 more shots in that span than Spacek has.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not true - if you compare their stats since the lockout, despite having a reputation as an offensive defenseman, Spacek has produced only 22 more points than Ballard.
It's not even remotely close in terms of physicality - Ballard has registered 717 hits since then, while Spacek has only 384. Ballard has also blocked nearly 200 more shots in that span than Spacek has.
yea... um they are similar types of defensemen.... That doesnt mean go to NHL.com and compare a handful of statistics.

they've played on different teams with different coaches. Spacek didn't get a ton of PK time in Buffalo (blocked shots stat). Lindy doesn't emphasive hitting, his d zone scheme is all about zone and keep the puck to the outside and closing lanes...

Spacek and Ballard are similar defensemen in style and skills they bring to the table. Ballard is a better skater, stylistically that is the only major difference in their game...

good job wasting time on useless states that mean absolutely nothing in a comparison of players

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
yea... um they are similar types of defensemen.... That doesnt mean go to NHL.com and compare a handful of statistics.

they've played on different teams with different coaches. Spacek didn't get a ton of PK time in Buffalo (blocked shots stat). Lindy doesn't emphasive hitting, his d zone scheme is all about zone and keep the puck to the outside and closing lanes...

Spacek and Ballard are similar defensemen in style and skills they bring to the table. Ballard is a better skater, stylistically that is the only major difference in their game...

good job wasting time on useless states that mean absolutely nothing in a comparison of players
Making generalities like "similar defenseman in style" with nothing more than an opinion is even a greater waste of time.

I see no logic whatsoever in your arguing that Spacek didn't hit because his coach's system didn't "emphasize" it or register many blocked shots due to a lack of penalty-killing responsibilities. If you really believe that Ruff's system doesn't emphasize physical play, do you really think Wayne Gretzky, Jacques Martin or Peter Deboer (Ballard's 3 coaches) did? And to claim that blocking shots is exclusively linked to penalty killing time is even more absurd.

You don't like Ballard, fine. But don't make ignorant, self-serving statements based on opinion and not facts to discredit those that think he's a better player than you do.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Making generalities like "similar defenseman in style" with nothing more than an opinion is even a greater waste of time.

I see no logic whatsoever in your arguing that Spacek didn't hit because his coach's system didn't "emphasize" it or register many blocked shots due to a lack of penalty-killing responsibilities. If you really believe that Ruff's system doesn't emphasize physical play, do you really think Wayne Gretzky, Jacques Martin or Peter Deboer (Ballard's 3 coaches) did? And to claim that blocking shots is exclusively linked to penalty killing time is even more absurd.

You don't like Ballard, fine. But don't make ignorant, self-serving statements based on opinion and not facts to discredit those that think he's a better player than you do.
i like Ballard. I liked Spacek too.

Defensemen who play on the PK, block more shots... that's just a fact.

making player comparisons is a normal aspect of discussing the acquisition of players...

id be very hesitant to take on another 4+ million dollar long term contract. Ballard to me, is like Pominville... a good player to have, but when you have to many holes in the roster, do you really want another 4+ million dollar long term player?

Old
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Allen would fit the physical, shutdown defensemen everyone wants paired with Myers ..
So he has bounced back from his injury?

I liked him a lot before he got hurt

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If ANYONE on Florida is available, I want Horton and Ballard.

How about:

To Florida: Roy, Montador (oh yes, i am dumping him) 1st round pick
To Buffalo: Horton, Ballard

If Florida is really having a fire sale, they have some intriguing pieces.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So he has bounced back from his injury?

I liked him a lot before he got hurt
to be honest, from what i've seen... no he has not bounced back from his injury. He's less physical, and lost a step...

but before, I thought he was a top pairing type of defensemen, now he seems more of a 2nd pairing guy who could regain some of what he lost. but he's afordable and only has two more years.

he'd still look great paired with a mobile dman like Myers or Sekera

Old
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If ANYONE on Florida is available, I want Horton and Ballard.

How about:

To Florida: Roy, Montador (oh yes, i am dumping him) 1st round pick
To Buffalo: Horton, Ballard

If Florida is really having a fire sale, they have some intriguing pieces.
Florida has Weiss, why would they want Roy?