HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wow, what an improvement from last game!

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Kerberos*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Wow, what an improvement from last game!

The lightning scored 1 less goal and the habs scored 1 more goal.
Now, at present rate, the next game will go into overtime at 2-2 (we'll win in ot)
The following game will be won by the habs 3-1
The one after will be won 4-0 by the habs
and we will dominate game 6 so bad that we will win 5- (-1) :lol

Go habs go! I can feel it: habs in 6!

Old
04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Habsolution

Seriously I noticed great improvement. We've got something to build on.

Just replace Souray with Quintal... until he's healed completely.

Old
04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
sonnytheman

it really seems like this team HAS to feel out a team quite a bit before being able to win. Kinda like test-driving it before buying, they have to play a couple before they get a hang of how the other team plays. Baby steps, I'd say.

Old
04-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Mathletic

looked like the beginning of the series against Boston

Old
04-25-2004, 06:06 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I said to a few of my friends at the start of this series, that it will be a series favouring the home teams. (of course I didn't say anything on here, because I hate being proved wrong.)

We have never, ever played well in Florida. It doesn't matter if it's TB or the Panthers we are playing. What does it? The heat? I don't know. But I am not surprised in the least that we lost these first two.

However, I feel we deserved to win this second game, based on our pressure in the second period alone.

I feel that this series has all the makings of being similar as the Boston series.

Go HABS!!!!!

Old
04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
looked like the beginning of the series against Boston
Hopefully we get the same result as that series..........we are in tough......just got to take it 1 game at a time and focus only on game 3, a must win game for the habs

Old
04-25-2004, 06:12 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution

I agree with the first sentence. Montreal has shown encouraging signs of not letting up in the second and the third period, after having an awful first period in all aspects. They were the ones who controlled the play in Tampa's zone... I think the Bolts skaters should thank Khabibulin for keeping them in the game, because it could have *easily* been 4-2 in favor of the Habs at the 2nd intermission... I guess the Habs must build on that on their home ice... let's not forget that the guys gave a pretty good effort in every game played at the Bell Centre in Round 1. Without Raycroft's stellar goalthending in Game #4, Montreal would have gone 3-0 on home ice. I'm confident we can bring this serie back to Tampa with a 2-2 tie.

As for Souray, I would too like to see him in the pressbox, but the fact is Quintal is even worse IMO. Yes, Sheldon does make more mistakes than Quintal, but he can support the attack and is a much faster skater. Remember how hard it looked for Quintal on the 1-on-1 with Brian Rolston two weeks ago? Imagine we replace Rolston by, say, Martin St.Louis. I don't want to think about it... it'd be ugly.

Old
04-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Capitano

If we could keep them from jumping out to a lead we'd be fine! I'd like to see how it would be if we got the first one...

Cap

Old
04-25-2004, 06:16 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Now, at present rate, the next game will go into overtime at 2-2 (we'll win in ot)

I like what you;ve done there.... I always said it would be Habs in 6, though i also said that we'd have to win one of the first two games... It was important to do this to set up a nice series and less of a nail biter... Now what we're faced with is an immense match... AN ABSOLUTE MUST WIN!!!! if we don't win our first game then things will look very slim... I do think though that this evenings game was a huge improvement.. Which is the positive we must take from this game... also in retrospect to the last series against Boston we also were down 2-0 when we then came home... I still have faith.. i think 2 good wins in MOntreal will shake the Lightning some what and therefore give us a really open game 5 back in tampa... So ladies and Gentleman don't be worried... have faith and remember we've been here before and our boys can do it!!!

GO GO !!!!!

Last edited by English Hab: 04-25-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old
04-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
As for Souray, I would too like to see him in the pressbox, but the fact is Quintal is even worse IMO. Yes, Sheldon does make more mistakes than Quintal, but he can support the attack and is a much faster skater. Remember how hard it looked for Quintal on the 1-on-1 with Brian Rolston two weeks ago? Imagine we replace Rolston by, say, Martin St.Louis. I don't want to think about it... it'd be ugly.
I thought about that too. But how much worse can it get really ?

Maybe a couple of days rest could help Souray recuperate enough that he'd be a bit better ?

Another thing is that Quintal wouldn't have to take on Souray's minute. In fact that's one of the main problem IMO. I fail to see why CJ keeps using Souray on the PP and in all kinds of situations. He just can't seem to be able to cut it. Maybe 6th dman ice time would help both the Habs and Souray to play better ?

Old
04-25-2004, 06:33 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
I thought about that too. But how much worse can it get really ?

Maybe a couple of days rest could help Souray recuperate enough that he'd be a bit better ?

Another thing is that Quintal wouldn't have to take on Souray's minute. In fact that's one of the main problem IMO. I fail to see why CJ keeps using Souray on the PP and in all kinds of situations. He just can't seem to be able to cut it. Maybe 6th dman ice time would help both the Habs and Souray to play better ?
I also couldn't believe the fact that Julien was using Souray in all situations, even in the third period, after almost giving up Tampa's third goal all by himself. He's taking too many risks with the puck. To me he looks like he's (over)confident with the puck, but then he makes an awful pass either in our forward's skate, or straight on the Bolts' forwards' sticks. Let's just say I don't see either why Sheldon is still getting the minutes. I say let's give this ice time to d-men who really deserve it. Having a great regular season is one thing, but let us not forget that Markov and Rivet have been by far the most consistant defensemen thus far. Yet they're still 4-5 minutes behind Souray. I don't see a valuable explanation to that. Someone tell CJ to do something about this... because it's quickly becoming pathetic every time Souray touches the puck.

Old
04-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
The Habs played great in second period , look like it's hard for you to figure that Tampa finished the year 1st . Without Souray mistakes this game could have been win by the Habs . Theodore saved our ass to save the game but you can't give a breakaway to Lecavalier and a 5on3 PP against the best offensive team in the league .

Old
04-25-2004, 06:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
The Habs played great in second period , look like it's hard for you to figure that Tampa finished the year 1st . Without Souray mistakes this game could have been win by the Habs . Theodore saved our ass to save the game but you can't give a breakaway to Lecavalier and a 5on3 PP against the best offensive team in the league .
2 costly mistakes by Souray with the penalty and the final seconds of the second and that is the game.....Souray pretty much gave Tampa the game tonight

Old
04-25-2004, 07:22 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
2 costly mistakes by Souray with the penalty and the final seconds of the second and that is the game.....Souray pretty much gave Tampa the game tonight
Souray imo hasn't been the same since his injure.... I think of souray and i compare him to the movie Rookie of the year.. the one where the kid breaks his arm and ends up throwing a 105mph fast ball.... something like that anyway... I think after this afternoons game Souray realises his cost us a possible tied series.. and to be honest i don't know how he will comeback from it... I hope he does... but to me there is somethin missing since his return from injury.... don't know what it is... But i sure do hope he finds out what it is and to be honest only a goal next game will help us... He played abig Bummer this afternoon and he needs to remedy it!!!!

So chin up souray and go get them !!!! (PLEASE )

Last edited by English Hab: 04-25-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old
04-25-2004, 07:53 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos

Kerberos, your logic is flawless and obviously correct . I am with you on this one.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Exxxactly. No matter how bad Souray or anybody else on the blueline plays, it can't be any worse than the unmitigated disaster that Quintal would represent. I suppose, if we want to consider all options, Karl Dykhuis is a pretty good skater and all that. But I would probably just live and die with the guys who got us here.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Exxxactly. No matter how bad Souray or anybody else on the blueline plays, it can't be any worse than the unmitigated disaster that Quintal would represent. I suppose, if we want to consider all options, Karl Dykhuis is a pretty good skater and all that. But I would probably just live and die with the guys who got us here.
Agreed, however, live and die with the guys who got us here doesn't mean we cannot tweak the lines, pairings, match-ups and ice time according to who's playing well and who's not, especially on defense.

Of course it's easy to nitpick for an arm-chair coach like me but I feel CJ is not willing to take the tough decision and reduce significantly the responsibilities of his struggling veterans, which are Brisebois to some extent but most importantly Souray.

Both those guys shouldn't be playing more than 30 sec. on the 2nd unit during a PP, and they should play as the 3rd pairing 5 on 5. That way, we let them refocus without being too costly for the team. If Souray is injured, that's one more reason right there to reduce his minutes, even if he doesn't want to.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
look like it's hard for you to figure that Tampa finished the year 1st ........ you can't give a breakaway to Lecavalier and a 5on3 PP against the best offensive team in the league .
Hard to figure that we are in first but yet we are the best Offensive team in the league and have Khabibulin in net.

That sounds like a good team to me. Kubina, Sydor (cup winner with Dallas) on the D.

#1 Offense
Khabibulin
Decent defense
Good Coach

Yeah we suck bad. Good Luck in game 3. Remember.... the Isles plyed better in Game 2 as well. They even shut us out 0-3. We responded by not letting them score at home...period. That is unless your cup banners are gonna pick up sticks and play for you. Those are supposedly supposed to beat us alone.

Old
04-25-2004, 10:05 PM
SuperUnknown

I think scoring the first goal would help us tremendously, then the pressure would be on TB and they would do more giveaways.

Old
04-25-2004, 10:19 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I think scoring the first goal would help us tremendously, then the pressure would be on TB and they would do more giveaways.
Thats been true throughout the playoffs. The team who scores first wins 75% or more of the time.

Old
04-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Bulrog

Quote:
I think the Bolts skaters should thank Khabibulin for keeping them in the game, because it could have *easily* been 4-2 in favor of the Habs at the 2nd intermission
The Bolts' skaters should be thankful?? It could have **EASILY** been 5-0 after 1, and TB's chances were much better than MTL.

Last edited by Bulrog: 04-25-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old
04-26-2004, 06:03 AM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Agreed, however, live and die with the guys who got us here doesn't mean we cannot tweak the lines, pairings, match-ups and ice time according to who's playing well and who's not, especially on defense.

Of course it's easy to nitpick for an arm-chair coach like me but I feel CJ is not willing to take the tough decision and reduce significantly the responsibilities of his struggling veterans, which are Brisebois to some extent but most importantly Souray.

Both those guys shouldn't be playing more than 30 sec. on the 2nd unit during a PP, and they should play as the 3rd pairing 5 on 5. That way, we let them refocus without being too costly for the team. If Souray is injured, that's one more reason right there to reduce his minutes, even if he doesn't want to.
One name Joe Thorton... Now he ws injured the whole Bos-Mtl series... he didn't particularly have a big impact on the game but he wasn't the same player he could have been, and was found wanting on many occassions... It proves that if a players injured then rest him... Don't risk the positives as the negatives are too costly!!!

Old
04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
mcphee

I believe that you have to show loyalty to players who give a lot of themselves. if the reports hinted at early in the Boston series are true, that 2 of our D men are getting by on injections to be able to play, they are to be respected for their dedication. Souray played like a number 1 this year. When was the last time we had a #1 ? I'd prefer less of #44 right now, I also found him shaky against Boston. Markov picked up some of his ice against Boston, but is also struggling right now. Give TB credit for causing a lot of these struggles. Who knows, maybe coming back from 3-1 last series took a lot out of them. A few bounces yesterday could have produced a different result, but jumping ship or making wholesale changes is no answer. If anyone is hurt to the point that they are hurting the team, it's one thing. If good players aren't playing well, you may just have to tinker and adjust. I like what Kerberos is saying. The Habs were better this game than last and hopefully will be better next game. I don't know if anyone caught Gainey's comments before the playoffs. He discussed that because the team hadn't been successful in the recent past, and the relative inexperience of some of the players and staff, they were in effect going to playoff university. There are a lot of little things that go into a playoff run, whether its travel schedule, practice lengths, players avoiding distraction, there's a lot to learn. His point was that he came from a team that knew that stuff. Pollock and Bowman set the standard for attn. to detail, the current team is learning as they go. if they are unable to win this series, it will be made clear to those involved what will be expected of them in future. I see no reason to panic and whine about what we have or don't have at this point. Go back to September when they had lost their 5th straight pre season game, Koivu had gone down and tell me if you would have been pleased to be down 2-0 in a second round series. The progress is there, enjoy it. Theo held us in it yesterday, we could have gotten a few in the second, Souray could have not mis handled the puch, Rivet could have stayed back, but none of those things happened. You adjust re group an dtry again. TB has been very impressive, and are playing their game to a T. They aren't invincible, anything can still happen. They can out talent us right now, but they still have to win 2 more games.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The problem with that, however, is that we almost don't have anybody else to turn to. If just Souray was off his game, ok, no problemo. Just Souray and Brisebois? Still, adjustments could be made. But Markov was brutal last night too, and Rivet... he's not playing his most sound hockey either. I'm not sure where CJ has left to turn... you almost end up just hoping those guys find themselves, and fast.
Quote:
Barring some really radical changes in responsibility (Bouillon and Komisarek on the PP?), I'm not sure if we aren't just stuck. If our guys are hurting or just can't turn their games around, I'm not sure what more to do. Markov and a forward (Koivu? Kovalev?) on the point on the PP is one idea, but I'm not sure that wouldn't just turn around and chomp us on the a** just as much as Souray or Brisebois, with the TB forecheck and all. If I thought I had a good idea about what to do, I guess it would make it easier to criticise CJ, but I don't... maybe he doesn't either, and just has to keep hoping his big guys come to their senses on D.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:

Hmmm... I think Quintal is way too slow for the bruins... so for the bolts, would be a tough call

Closed Thread