HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How will the Olympic disappointment affect Geno's play?

Old
02-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry

vCash: 500
How will the Olympic disappointment affect Geno's play?

Last night watching the look on his face I began two think about how it will affect his game. What do you guys think? Will he sulk and play the uninspired hockey we saw from him earlier in the season? Or will he come back with something to prove after being embarrassed and tear it up?

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:21 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

i personally think it will drive him to win something else.... he isn't the type to want to not win.... he will try to do it for the cup now

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
BrOrpik 44

Evgeni Malkin for Rick Nash (e5)

No but I think this is going to drive him to win the stanley cup even further.
I'm sure he'd love to win olympic gold with his buddy Ovechkin, but being able to one-up Ovechkin with a Stanley Cup ring probably beats that feeling.

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

It won't. He's a big boy / knows how to handle disappointment.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Good question. I thought his play at the beginning of the year was pretty uninspired. And I thought maybe he was suffering from a Cup hangover. So, my guess is that coming off a stinging defeat will push him.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
spizzle420

Maybe his uninspired play was a result of waiting for the Olympics... and now that he got destroyed, he will push harder to win that cup again... it's perfect.

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

He wasn't *that* bad guys. He put together a lot of good chances and had a couple goals and a couple assists from earlier games. In the context of the whole team he was probably one of their best players based on the games I saw. Team Canada ass-beating not withstanding, where they all sucked.

Old
02-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBDE View Post
Evgeni Malkin for Rick Nash (e5)

No but I think this is going to drive him to win the stanley cup even further.
I'm sure he'd love to win olympic gold with his buddy Ovechkin, but being able to one-up Ovechkin with another Stanley Cup ring probably beats that feeling.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
He wasn't *that* bad guys. He put together a lot of good chances and had a couple goals and a couple assists from earlier games. In the context of the whole team he was probably one of their best players based on the games I saw. Team Canada ass-beating not withstanding, where they all sucked.
don't think people are slagging his playing at the Olympics. just saying he's probably disappointed

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:21 PM
invictus

I think this question is almost as interesting if you replace Geno with AO.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 738
I think Geno will be fine, he was Russia's top scorer. Plus he had a nice point streak before the Olympic break. Im sure he will finish the season strong especially if Shero can pick him up a Winger. He's got a legit shot at 30 goals and 90 points.

Whats up with Malkin and faceoffs, he was terrible in the NHL but very good at the Olympics with a 54.79%. I sure hope that carries over into the regular season.

Last edited by Killahpunk: 02-25-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
RoninsRevenge

Personally, I'm glad he'll get the extra days of to rest. And he didn't play that bad, he lead Russia with 3g 3a.

RoninsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

He'll come back and play the same way he was before: Decent

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
NIN*

Something tells me that Team Russia conceded defeat before that game ever began. I'm thankful that he and Gonch escaped healthy and I can't wait to see them back in Pens uniforms.

On a side note, the Malkin turnover that led to Canada's 3rd goal was costly, but the p[lay he was attempting could have changed the score and the momentum in a big, big way. Malkin knew Richards was out there and he tried to lure him into taking a run at him out by the blue line of the attacking zone. Richards didn't bite, but if he did, Malkin was going to side step the hit and move in for a great scoring chance. Richards might have collided with Toews as well, which would have been an EPIC momentum shifter. he failed, but I admire the brilliance. Maybe in a couple more years those he will start to succeed at plays that Lemieux routinely made.

NIN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM

It should be very telling of his character. In the past we've seen him get mad and do better the next time.

There are times this year though that he didn't seem to have that stars chip on his shoulder. Not sure why or why not but maybe him and all the Pens are just waiting for April to role around. I'm guessing that its hard to get up for games in Nov against non rivals after winning a Cup.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
NIN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
It should be very telling of his character. In the past we've seen him get mad and do better the next time.

There are times this year though that he didn't seem to have that stars chip on his shoulder. Not sure why or why not but maybe him and all the Pens are just waiting for April to role around. I'm guessing that its hard to get up for games in Nov against non rivals after winning a Cup.
He looked fatigued during a few stretches, and I'm not surprised with the lack of puck support he gets. Geno works insanely hard to be the one man show on his line, but without anybody finishing I think he got wore down mentally.

But I'm a huge Geno fan, so I see a lot of things that aren't his fault.

Old
02-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN View Post
He looked fatigued during a few stretches, and I'm not surprised with the lack of puck support he gets. Geno works insanely hard to be the one man show on his line, but without anybody finishing I think he got wore down mentally.

But I'm a huge Geno fan, so I see a lot of things that aren't his fault.
No thats true too.

To be honest, I think he's ajusted his game away from being a great center to trying to do to much. Sure he's awesome when he's driving the net and carrying the puck but I think teams read that now and just get in his way. IMO he's at his best when his wingers can take the headman pass, drive back the defense and then have Malkin support the play from behind almost like a defenseman would.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
No thats true too.

To be honest, I think he's ajusted his game away from being a great center to trying to do to much. Sure he's awesome when he's driving the net and carrying the puck but I think teams read that now and just get in his way. IMO he's at his best when his wingers can take the headman pass, drive back the defense and then have Malkin support the play from behind almost like a defenseman would.
I agree.

I think the atrocious play of his line mates has caused Malkin to rely solely on himself, and has gotten him into bad habits and poor decision making.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I don't really think the Olympics will affect Malkin in any way at all. He played there like he has played during the last month or so for the Pens. Not at 'Geno-level', but productive and dangerous.

The good part is that it looks like he isn't holding back on his shot anymore so the shoulder should be fine, and now at least we know there's nothing he is saving himself for.

More importantly, if he is really dejected about the Olympics, Mommy should be coming over with the bortsch, which would be good, as we know.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Jacob

Why would Malkin be disappointed? Ovechkin's the one that laid an egg.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:10 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
this is true.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
I think the entire Pens team was playing mediocre hockey simply because there was no need to and every reason not to overexert themselves.

Now that it's almost March, Geno and Sid and the rest of the team should step it up and actually press for wins and results. And they should work to get in that gear and mentality soon as they return from Vancouver. No matter how talented the team is, it's not a switch they can just flick on.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
NIN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
I think the entire Pens team was playing mediocre hockey simply because there was no need to and every reason not to overexert themselves.

Now that it's almost March, Geno and Sid and the rest of the team should step it up and actually press for wins and results. And they should work to get in that gear and mentality soon as they return from Vancouver. No matter how talented the team is, it's not a switch they can just flick on.
Yeah, it would be nice if they would get into playoff form right away. But there's a few areas that need addressed by management that will add to the teams success. Net front presence is a good place to start. That and a good skating defensive blue liner. If they do that and get into playoff shape, they will be scary good come April.

Old
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

He'll pick it up after the snub.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Because he's a deeply empathetic person?