HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Proposals and Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
TheMisfits

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
The $2.3 mill figure is an over the year equivalent.

I.e. we can add a player with a yearly salary of $2.3 mill without cutting any further salaries be trading/demoting players.
Ah, all right. Thanks.

Old
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Half listening to Stan and Guy today. They were talking about Pen's rumors. Not sure what their sources were, probably crap internet sites. They were mentioning the usual suspects of Whitney and the Pony from TO. Also mentioned Edmonton's Ethan Moreau. As stated, I wasn't totally listening, so I didn't hear where they were getting their "rumors" from.

Old
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
angelgirl77

Shero traded for Guerin last year...don't we still need him for the playoff run

I don't understand why some people feel Talbot is expendable? Talbot comes up big when you need him too...he doesn't let the pens down in the important games. That has to account for something. You may be able to fill his role with a center from Wilkes Barre, but I highly doubt that guy will score big goals like Talbot does. I am hoping that he sits the rest of the regular season and comes back healthy for the playoffs. He is was a vital member of the playoffs last year (and the year before if I recall correctly).

Old
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgirl77 View Post
Shero traded for Guerin last year...don't we still need him for the playoff run
Only if he's actually doing his job most nights, which he isn't (neither is Feds but that's another story).

Quote:
I don't understand why some people feel Talbot is expendable? Talbot comes up big when you need him too....
Yah but his new A&L auto commercials are way off the mark. He has blemished his superstar status.

Seriously though what makes Max valuable is his energy and the way he seemingly is able to bring the team together when things are looking down. He's less a great player than a leader IMO. He's certainly trade bait, like any other 4th liner but the Magic 8 Ball says he'll stay.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
jdpitt05

Capgeek shows us having 2.9m (full season cap hit) on March 3rd. I believe the number was 3.5m before Letestu was called up, which shows why Shero is being so stingy with that situation.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Art Vanddelay

Local radio station here in Los Angeles is reporting that the Ray Whitney to Los Angeles trade talks are heating up again. They said that both sides appear to come to a compramise for a 2 year extention instead of the 3 Ray was looking for with LA's 1st round and a prospect going the other way. So it looks like Whitney to the Pens will not happen after all.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
angelgirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Only if he's actually doing his job most nights, which he isn't (neither is Feds but that's another story).

Yah but his new A&L auto commercials are way off the mark. He has blemished his superstar status.

Seriously though what makes Max valuable is his energy and the way he seemingly is able to bring the team together when things are looking down. He's less a great player than a leader IMO. He's certainly trade bait, like any other 4th liner but the Magic 8 Ball says he'll stay.
All of the Penguins commericals suck this year!! How I miss the original A&L motor and "wonderful world" commericals!

But seriously, Max scores big goals. That has to account for something...without Max we lose game seven last year (no one else scored..lol)!! That has to account for something

Old
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyicus Canticus View Post
Local radio station here in Los Angeles is reporting that the Ray Whitney to Los Angeles trade talks are heating up again. They said that both sides appear to come to a compramise for a 2 year extention instead of the 3 Ray was looking for with LA's 1st round and a prospect going the other way. So it looks like Whitney to the Pens will not happen after all.
If thats the real price then I am glad we arent the front runners in that deal.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
It would be pretty funny if the Kings offer a 1st and a mid prospect and he comes to us for a 2nd because Whitney says he'll only waive the NTC to come here.
If the Kings commit to Whitney, in terms of accepting a first and prospect for him, then you better believe they're also going to commit to him as far as the three-year extension goes. So, I suspect if they make that offer, the deal will happen and Whitney will move to L.A.

As far as we're concerned, I'm starting to think the Oilers may hold the key. Would you guys do Cogliano, Brule and Strudwick for Letestu, Jeffrey, Sneep and a 2nd round pick in 2010?

That's the kind of low-cost deal that could really help us.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Art Vanddelay

I just hope we don't pick up Raffi Torres, I just don't see how this guy would be an "upgrade" for the Pens.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Would you guys do Cogliano, Brule and Strudwick for Letestu, Jeffrey, Sneep and a 2nd round pick in 2010?
Pens would jump all over that deal, Oilers wouldnt even consider it.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
regard

Quote:
If the Kings commit to Whitney, in terms of accepting a first and prospect for him, then you better believe they're also going to commit to him as far as the three-year extension goes. So, I suspect if they make that offer, the deal will happen and Whitney will move to L.A.

As far as we're concerned, I'm starting to think the Oilers may hold the key. Would you guys do Cogliano, Brule and Strudwick for Letestu, Jeffrey, Sneep and a 2nd round pick in 2010?

Not sure.
I dont know anything about Strudwick and am really liking Letestu.
Putting that aside though offhand Id have to think I would do that.
If Brule and Cogliano have the potential I think of them having.

But woudl Edmonton do this? When I think of Edmonton and all the changes theyd probably like to make I dont think of Brule being someone they want to offload.

(Ryan Stone, Chris Minard, Letestu and Jeffrey=Edmonton being Baby Pens V 2.0)

Old
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
jdpitt05

Quote:

Not sure EDM would want to give both Cogs and Brule. Maybe just Strudwick and Brule/Cogs.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyicus Canticus View Post
I just hope we don't pick up Raffi Torres, I just don't see how this guy would be an "upgrade" for the Pens.
He's not a long-term solution to anything; he is an equally streaky but more gritty version of Feds. Of course, the one good team he played for he almost scored 30G. Hard to know how much more productive he would be here playing with a guy like Geno or Staal. As long as we don't have to move any D or key prospects, I'd rather see Whitney and Torres out there than Guerin or Feds at this point. So if we can move spare parts and picks then great. Otherwise, neither is worth more than that.

Old
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80459
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=63187

Their stats, when you look stagger it for the 3-year draft difference (although Letang is nearly 4 years younger than Keith), are eerily similar. Obviously, statistics don't tell the whole story. Same w/ the subjective analysis, similar size, draft position, they are both great skaters, Letang is making serious strides defensively, has a lot more experience at 22 than Keith did. Superficially, it gives a Pens fan cause for optimism.

Is it at all realistic to hope that Letang's development mirrors Keith's? I haven't followed Keith's career too closely, did he make a quantum leap in development at some point that Letang hasn't reached and is unreasonable to expect? Do we have a potential 2012/13 Norris winner on our hands
The main difference between Letang and Keith is what is between the ears. Keith has always been a supremely intelligent player. Letang hasn't proven that same level of intelligence yet, which is the only thing that will hold him back from being a top pairing defenseman.

Old
02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
xlm34

Torres kinda reminds me of Kunitz. Plays a lot bigger than he is and isn't afraid to score the garbage goals. That being said, I'm crossing my fingers for a winger under contract. Not necessarily one from Dallas, but anywhere.

Old
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:

Why would the Oilers do that? Cogliano was the main piece they were giving up in their original Heatley deal, I don't see him traded for such a weak return.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Baba Ganoush

i just read that pittsburgh radio stations are reporting this as a possible trade.

to TOR:
chris kunitz
1st rd pick '10

to PIT:
alexei ponikarovsky

please feel free to squash this, as it seems very unlikely.

would this be a salary dump for the pens or something or is it just complete bologne?

apparently the one radio station was ESPN and i forget the other. cheers.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
i just read that pittsburgh radio stations are reporting this as a possible trade.

to TOR:
chris kunitz
1st rd pick '10

to PIT:
alexei ponikarovsky

would this be a salary dump for the pens or something or is it just complete bologne?

Kunitz is under contract. Poni is a rental with little playoff experience and no history of performing there. He isn't worth either one of those assets, let alone both. Bologne sandwich. Too bad I already had lunch.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Wow, radio stations sure have gotten ****tier since I left the Burgh.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
BillyWilliams

Quote:

to TOR:
chris kunitz
1st rd pick '10

to PIT:
alexei ponikarovsky

Yeah saw this reported on the Leafs board and would appreciate verification since it would be a great deal for us. Kunitz has a hefty price tag but is still a solid player, but it would give the Pens some flexibility for 55 and 58's contract negotiations.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Man, that 1st rounder really makes it an uneven trade.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
WVP

Quote:

to TOR:
chris kunitz
1st rd pick '10

to PIT:
alexei ponikarovsky

That's pretty horrendous.

And what do you mean, "reporting it as a possible trade?"

Old
02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

I know its Eklund, but I like rumors, so...

Per Eklund via Twitter:
"I am hearing something is up with Alexei Ponikarovsky. Could be Pitt or Chicago? looking into it."

However, Kevin Allen, of the USAToday, said Ponikarovsky was not a target of the Pens.
Might be a new development though.

Also,
"hearing Afinogenov is another option for pitt."

Old
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
JTG

Quote:

to TOR:
chris kunitz
1st rd pick '10

to PIT:
alexei ponikarovsky

You don't know much about valuation do you?

Closed Thread