HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Missing persons report: John Tavares

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
  #226
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene Fan View Post
I haven't watched JT at all this season besides the matchup vs the Avs, so I won't pretend like I am familiar with his overall play this season.

I will say that regardless of points being accumulated, as long as he is playing smart hockey and doing the right things he will be a monster of a player in the long run. From what I've read in this thread alone, it seems his conditioning, skating, and body mass are the 3 biggest things he needs to work on. All of those obstacles can be overcome through hard work. I realize skating is a tougher thing to improve comparatively, but the other 2 are just as important.

JT will be just fine. Let him develop.
Unfortunately some Islanders fans are of "Generation Me." As they want instant gratification in every aspect of life, hockey included obviously.

He'll be fine. He'll get bigger, stronger, most likely take power skating lessons and all their whining will be for nothing.


Last edited by macleod50: 02-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
macleod50 is offline  
Old
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
  #227
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,422
vCash: 500
this thread makes me question why I even bother sometimes.

it's not so much the micro-scrutiny on teen-tavares as much as how conclusions are drawn. The reasons and analogies that lead to conclusions is mind-boggling...I only hope decisions outside this message board are not made with the same logic.


Last edited by redbull: 02-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.
redbull is offline  
Old
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
  #228
Chairman Wang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Portugal
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
this thread makes me question why I even bother sometimes.

it's not so much the micro-scrutiny on teen-tavares as much as how conclusions are drawn. The reasons and analogies that lead to conclusions is mind-boggling...I only hope decisions outside this message board are not made with the same logic.
Agree...

I often noticed this "analogy-to-conclusion" at the root of Dipietro criticisms. He is often attacked personally rather than professionally. I don't follow other teams as I do the Islanders and this is the only message board I participate in... But are other fanbases this cynical?

Chairman Wang is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
  #229
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,395
vCash: 500
Taverez = Daygle!!1111!!!one

Doug Height is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
  #230
potvin05
Registered User
 
potvin05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NassauSuffolk border
Country: United States
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Why hasn't Tavares scored 40 goals yet?? It's an abomination! If Tavares doesn't score 65 by next season, he's going to be a bust. Seriously. 9 points in the last 30 something games?? The nerve. Trade him ASAP. For a 2nd round pick. anything....somebody's bound to take him off our hands.

potvin05 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
  #231
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
JT will be fine. He's only 19, lets be patient. The only thing i would suggest would be an off sesaon conditioning program ( like Stamkos did last year with Gary Roberts) for him, Bailey, Neilsen and Moulson. I think it helped Stamkos game tremendously this year.

goal1228 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
  #232
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
JT will be fine.
I'm not gonna say he'll "be fine", because for all we know he may not pan out. But, it's just plain silliness to say that "his career is riding out far too similarly to Alexandre Daigle"... after 60 games.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
  #233
The KGBeast
Registered User
 
The KGBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
This was funny when it happened, but I guess it's worth bringing up in this thread: I went to the press conference they had to introduce Johnny right after they drafted him, and someone yelled "Hey John, 90 goals!" during the photo op.

Just...yeah.

The KGBeast is offline  
Old
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
  #234
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
JT will be fine. He's only 19, lets be patient. The only thing i would suggest would be an off sesaon conditioning program ( like Stamkos did last year with Gary Roberts) for him, Bailey, Neilsen and Moulson. I think it helped Stamkos game tremendously this year.
"Weight can't handle the workout.....so you're working out with Park this summer, kid. You'll make Scott the happiest little coach in the world if you do"

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
  #235
GilliesGirlie
Registered User
 
GilliesGirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: former Long Islander
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 6,057
vCash: 500
Here's my take, I have been thinking about this with the break.


Tavares came into the NHL like gangbusters, everything seemed to go his way. Honestly, it seemed almost effortless to me watching it. What if it felt that way to John playing? He is still a teenager and I can see him thinking that this is going to be so easy. Let's face it his entire hockey career has been that way, in his mind why should the NHL be any different?

Maybe he slacks off a bit on his game a shift here a shift there. Takes a few shifts off, then it hit's him like a ton of bricks that this will not be a walk in the park.

I'm not knocking the kid's desire nor am I knocking his work ethic but I am saying he is a kid who had hockey come so easy to him almost just like breathing. He's never faced it where competition was as good as him and better.

He lost his confidence and maybe doubts his ablility. He has shown that he can in fact play at this level and play well.

Hopefully this break clears his head, gives him some time with his family and friends. Get him away from the game for a little while and let him just be.

He's a kid afterall.

Hoping for a very refreshed John Tavares after this break.

__________________
R.I.P. Uncle John.... I love you!
R.I.P. Sal Forever Young 4//4/92-9/23/13
GilliesGirlie is offline  
Old
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
  #236
JetsMetsIsles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
Here's my take, I have been thinking about this with the break.


Tavares came into the NHL like gangbusters, everything seemed to go his way. Honestly, it seemed almost effortless to me watching it. What if it felt that way to John playing? He is still a teenager and I can see him thinking that this is going to be so easy. Let's face it his entire hockey career has been that way, in his mind why should the NHL be any different?

Maybe he slacks off a bit on his game a shift here a shift there. Takes a few shifts off, then it hit's him like a ton of bricks that this will not be a walk in the park.

I'm not knocking the kid's desire nor am I knocking his work ethic but I am saying he is a kid who had hockey come so easy to him almost just like breathing. He's never faced it where competition was as good as him and better.

He lost his confidence and maybe doubts his ablility. He has shown that he can in fact play at this level and play well.

Hopefully this break clears his head, gives him some time with his family and friends. Get him away from the game for a little while and let him just be.

He's a kid afterall.

Hoping for a very refreshed John Tavares after this break.
I could see that being true but I just feel that he is tired. Hes a rookie who has never had to work as hard as this to be a great hockey player. When his game slowed down I can see him over working because he seems exhausted at the end of games. I think this time off will help him come back strong and hopefully finish strong.

JetsMetsIsles is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 11:29 PM
  #237
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,182
vCash: 500
This thread came up as part of results on a google search I did...so I couldn't help myself...I started to read it. More than two years after the last post in the thread, in makes for hilarious reading!

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 08:39 AM
  #238
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 11,751
vCash: 500
WOW....I forgot about that Stretch he was on....Ohhhh Well Hes Elite now at 21 so who the hell cares.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 08:49 AM
  #239
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
This thread is full of some funny ****.

"Bwahahaha" doesn't even cover it.

I am sure the blind can see clearly now though, so no biggie.

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
  #240
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 50
No need to bump this thread from over 2 years ago.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.