HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Missing persons report: John Tavares

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
macleod50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene Fan View Post
I haven't watched JT at all this season besides the matchup vs the Avs, so I won't pretend like I am familiar with his overall play this season.

I will say that regardless of points being accumulated, as long as he is playing smart hockey and doing the right things he will be a monster of a player in the long run. From what I've read in this thread alone, it seems his conditioning, skating, and body mass are the 3 biggest things he needs to work on. All of those obstacles can be overcome through hard work. I realize skating is a tougher thing to improve comparatively, but the other 2 are just as important.

JT will be just fine. Let him develop.
Unfortunately some Islanders fans are of "Generation Me." As they want instant gratification in every aspect of life, hockey included obviously.

He'll be fine. He'll get bigger, stronger, most likely take power skating lessons and all their whining will be for nothing.

Last edited by macleod50: 02-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
redbull
Expect more

this thread makes me question why I even bother sometimes.

it's not so much the micro-scrutiny on teen-tavares as much as how conclusions are drawn. The reasons and analogies that lead to conclusions is mind-boggling...I only hope decisions outside this message board are not made with the same logic.

Last edited by redbull: 02-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
this thread makes me question why I even bother sometimes.

it's not so much the micro-scrutiny on teen-tavares as much as how conclusions are drawn. The reasons and analogies that lead to conclusions is mind-boggling...I only hope decisions outside this message board are not made with the same logic.
Agree...

I often noticed this "analogy-to-conclusion" at the root of Dipietro criticisms. He is often attacked personally rather than professionally. I don't follow other teams as I do the Islanders and this is the only message board I participate in... But are other fanbases this cynical?

Old
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Taverez = Daygle!!1111!!!one

Old
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
potvin05

Why hasn't Tavares scored 40 goals yet?? It's an abomination! If Tavares doesn't score 65 by next season, he's going to be a bust. Seriously. 9 points in the last 30 something games?? The nerve. Trade him ASAP. For a 2nd round pick. anything....somebody's bound to take him off our hands.

Old
02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
goal1228

JT will be fine. He's only 19, lets be patient. The only thing i would suggest would be an off sesaon conditioning program ( like Stamkos did last year with Gary Roberts) for him, Bailey, Neilsen and Moulson. I think it helped Stamkos game tremendously this year.

Old
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
JT will be fine.
I'm not gonna say he'll "be fine", because for all we know he may not pan out. But, it's just plain silliness to say that "his career is riding out far too similarly to Alexandre Daigle"... after 60 games.

Old
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
The KGBeast

This was funny when it happened, but I guess it's worth bringing up in this thread: I went to the press conference they had to introduce Johnny right after they drafted him, and someone yelled "Hey John, 90 goals!" during the photo op.

Just...yeah.

Old
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
JT will be fine. He's only 19, lets be patient. The only thing i would suggest would be an off sesaon conditioning program ( like Stamkos did last year with Gary Roberts) for him, Bailey, Neilsen and Moulson. I think it helped Stamkos game tremendously this year.
"Weight can't handle the workout.....so you're working out with Park this summer, kid. You'll make Scott the happiest little coach in the world if you do"

Old
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
GilliesGirlie

Here's my take, I have been thinking about this with the break.

Tavares came into the NHL like gangbusters, everything seemed to go his way. Honestly, it seemed almost effortless to me watching it. What if it felt that way to John playing? He is still a teenager and I can see him thinking that this is going to be so easy. Let's face it his entire hockey career has been that way, in his mind why should the NHL be any different?

Maybe he slacks off a bit on his game a shift here a shift there. Takes a few shifts off, then it hit's him like a ton of bricks that this will not be a walk in the park.

I'm not knocking the kid's desire nor am I knocking his work ethic but I am saying he is a kid who had hockey come so easy to him almost just like breathing. He's never faced it where competition was as good as him and better.

He lost his confidence and maybe doubts his ablility. He has shown that he can in fact play at this level and play well.

Hopefully this break clears his head, gives him some time with his family and friends. Get him away from the game for a little while and let him just be.

He's a kid afterall.

Hoping for a very refreshed John Tavares after this break.

Old
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
Here's my take, I have been thinking about this with the break.

Tavares came into the NHL like gangbusters, everything seemed to go his way. Honestly, it seemed almost effortless to me watching it. What if it felt that way to John playing? He is still a teenager and I can see him thinking that this is going to be so easy. Let's face it his entire hockey career has been that way, in his mind why should the NHL be any different?

Maybe he slacks off a bit on his game a shift here a shift there. Takes a few shifts off, then it hit's him like a ton of bricks that this will not be a walk in the park.

I'm not knocking the kid's desire nor am I knocking his work ethic but I am saying he is a kid who had hockey come so easy to him almost just like breathing. He's never faced it where competition was as good as him and better.

He lost his confidence and maybe doubts his ablility. He has shown that he can in fact play at this level and play well.

Hopefully this break clears his head, gives him some time with his family and friends. Get him away from the game for a little while and let him just be.

He's a kid afterall.

Hoping for a very refreshed John Tavares after this break.
I could see that being true but I just feel that he is tired. Hes a rookie who has never had to work as hard as this to be a great hockey player. When his game slowed down I can see him over working because he seems exhausted at the end of games. I think this time off will help him come back strong and hopefully finish strong.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:29 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

This thread came up as part of results on a google search I did...so I couldn't help myself...I started to read it. More than two years after the last post in the thread, in makes for hilarious reading!

Old
03-17-2012, 08:39 AM
StrongIslanders90

WOW....I forgot about that Stretch he was on....Ohhhh Well Hes Elite now at 21 so who the hell cares.....

Old
03-17-2012, 08:49 AM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

This thread is full of some funny ****.

"Bwahahaha" doesn't even cover it.

I am sure the blind can see clearly now though, so no biggie.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
No need to bump this thread from over 2 years ago.

Closed Thread