HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Leetch

vCash: 500
Chris Pronger

Would you guys be interested in signing him if St Louis doesn't give him a qualifying offer? In my opinion, he is still pretty young and has the ability to dominate a game. So although we are rebuilding, this is a guy we can sign because he's not over 30 and past his prime. Thoughts?

Old
04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
He's the best defenseman in the game, IMO. Make him a reasonable offer and if he takes it, great! Don't overpay though. The salary structure in hockey is going to drop dramatically in the next few years, and I don't want to overpay him.

But yeah, talk about a great guy to build around if he's healthy.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
allrevvedup25

I agree with you HRR. Pronger can be a difference maker and can teach the young guns how to package offense with defense will striking fear in opponents. You may come down Pronger's side once but you won't do it again because he will punish you. But since we are re-building, you can't over pay.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
charliemurphy

It would be sick if Sather signed Pronger:
Pronger-Tyutin
Kasparaitis-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock
I don't think Poti will be on the team next season.Great step for the future.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
It would be sick if Sather signed Pronger:
Pronger-Tyutin
Kasparaitis-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock
I don't think Poti will be on the team next season.Great step for the future.
doubt poti will be here he sucks man, plus i doubt pronger will come here, he already said he doesnt want to to go to nyr let alone a team in a rebuilding process, so count him out plus he wants to much $$$$$$9 .5 mill-- he can keep it--- dont want to see any more of these 9 mill $$ players who do nothing for NYR im sick of it. rather have someone like sean hill or matvichuk or klemmi see it as

kaspar and tyutin
hill / matvichuk / klemm and lampman / kondratiev
pock and rachunek ( hope rachunek plays a lil better than he did when he came to nyr started off shaky got a bit better though he did improve)

so on the power play we can have :

pock and rachunek
tyutin and rolston<<~~~~~ we should def sign him

Old
04-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Davisian

Let me start by saying I wouldn't "hate it" if Pronger became a Ranger, but I'd just rather leave him (and any other big name) alone right now.

A) If they're truly trying to re-build the team, and trying to change the culture of losing, and having different rules for the "stars" then I don't see how Pronger helps.

B) If Pronger becomes a UFA, the only reason for him to come to the Rangers, would be money. Haven't we had enough of that?

C) Even at a reduced rate, he would still cost a lot. Considering he's had some injury problems, I don't see why the Rangers should hand him a large contract when they're nowhere near contending.

D) Enough already with looking for the "one guy" to be the difference maker, hopefully, the Ranger brass is trying to build a defense core that will be the difference maker.

This isn't a knock on Pronger, I'd just rather see the Rangers try to develop their own Pronger.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

there better be an injury clause in that contract. and if he gets a big contract, it better be a stepped on like at 20, 40, 60, and 80 games.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Well, let's not beg him to come here. Let's give him our pitch:

We're going to be a young team. You'll be the anchor. We want you here for 5 years or so. We probably won't make the playoffs next year, but we hope to make it the year after that.

That's not a really compelling sell to a guy who's at the top of the game but hasn't played in the Finals yet. But hey, if that's what he wants, then go for it.

Just don't pay more than $5 million per year. Salaries are going down.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Can anyone think of a plausible reason why Pronger would sign here for anything other than getting a contract offer that's head and shoulders above all others? This talk of getting Pronger at a reduced price is nothing more than wishful thinking. No one will want to sign here for a while except journeymen and guys that just want a chance to play.

As for Pronger, if he isn't qualified (a big if) I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Toronto for a discount. He's from the area and would be looking to join a contender. Imagine a blueline that can boast Pronger, Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle, and Klee.

Old
04-20-2004, 06:29 PM
in the hall

i'd take pronger anyday but i would prefer he fell to our laps then having us going out and get him, not the kind of image you want to send to your fans after all this

Old
04-20-2004, 06:55 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Let me start by saying I wouldn't "hate it" if Pronger became a Ranger, but I'd just rather leave him (and any other big name) alone right now .... This isn't a knock on Pronger, I'd just rather see the Rangers try to develop their own Pronger.
I'd agree 1000% but that's just bad rhetoric. Howsabout we sign NO free agents?

For as bad as we all felt this team was this season, the Rangers will still be drafting sixth. I'm sure we'd all like a legitimate shot at Crosby, but quite frankly that only comes by being worse than the team was in 2003-2004. This means:
1. Sign no free agents who will add points to the team's total next season.
2. Find a way to move what little genuine NHL talent this team has. (This means you, Bobby Holik and Jaromir Jagr.)

Bringing in a guy like Chris Pronger is exactly the wrong thing to do if you're interested in a genuine rebuilding. When he's healthy he's a difference-maker. That's exactly what the Rangers should be avoiding, because while he may make enough difference to add 8 points to the team's season total, he doesn't, by himself, earn you a playoff berth and a legit shot at the Cup. So what DOES he get you if you're a bad team to begin with (as the Blueshirts are)? He gets you into the 10-13 slot at the 2005 entry draft.

I don't see that as a help.

Old
04-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I don't see that as a help.

I prefer the bad rhetoric over long winded agreements, thank you very much...!..

I don't know if I'd avoid all free agents, but I'd rather none at all than any big names, with injury histories and huge price tags. I wouldn't disagree with a couple of tough and/or fast vets to teach the young'uns some good habits.

My main hope for next years Rangers is a team I actually feel like rooting for again.. And I'd rather see playoff hockey, than have a lottery pick..

Old
04-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers should wait for the CBA to be done before they sign free agents including Pronger. Look I would love Pronger to come here but with Holik and Jagr on the team This team can probably only afford two huge contracts. This offseason is looking very interesting.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:48 PM
charliemurphy

Why do I have a feeling Lindros will be back?

Old
04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
zestystrat

It would be really nice to see a coach hired, maybe one with a plan for rebuilding!?!! At the very least, someone who can command some respect with our GM. That way, going into the draft and UFA season there would be actual communication between the guy putting the players out on the ice & the guy bringing in the players into the locker room.

Otherwise getting CP feels just like the last 5-6 years with big UFA's. Id rather see us go out and get some blue-collar role players to fill in the holes.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat
It would be really nice to see a coach hired, maybe one with a plan for rebuilding!?!! At the very least, someone who can command some respect with our GM.
I think that hiring a coach is the first step to anything this team does in the offseason. As far as getting one that the GM respects, the guy is such an egomaniac that might be a tall order.

What did Sather say about Trottier? He reminded me of myself? And then he fired him. Sometimes irony is so ironic.

04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Sometimes irony is so ironic.
And sometimes we have to say what goes without saying, like let's have a plan. :lol

Anyone digging the new avitar? They were quite a team.

Old
04-25-2004, 12:50 PM
NYR469

an interesting note on pronger...pronger and jamie mclennan are best friends

Old
04-25-2004, 12:56 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
Why do I have a feeling Lindros will be back?
because sather is an

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-26-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old
04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 'n skeeta
because sather is an @$$h013

3 dman that id try to sign: Todd Simpson, Jon Klemm, Richard Matvichuk

Old
04-25-2004, 02:28 PM
charliemurphy