Kovalchuk: The Conspiracy

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk: The Conspiracy

:puts on tinfoil hat:

Starring Kovy, Grossman, DW, Lou Lams & Gary Bettman.

Kovy repeatedly maintains he wants to stay in ATL throughout entire process...Grossman wont budge on 'max deal'..Waddell goes public with his multiple contract offers that were refused...now grossman/kovy viewed as greedy/prima donna/khl bound...DW did all he could, saves face..but his and Grossmans asking price scares off potential suitors...

but why NJ? now instead of a marketable superstar languishing in ATL and possibly missing the playoffs yet again, he's moved to a team in the shadow of the largest media market in the world..BEFORE the Olympic stage and a month before the official trade deadline...Bettman licking his chops...

Lou Lams gets a piece for a Cup run, while getting rid of a down year D-man, a doghoused prospect and a prospect with baggage (while holding onto higher rated prospects and roster players)...Lou gets Salmela and flips 2nds for his 'troubles'.

Kovy now gains playoff experience, sees how an elite NHL organization is run from the inside, and is only 'away' from home for 5 months, not a whole year had he been moved this past summer.

July 1st arrives...Thrashers are restocked...Kovy now 'overrules' Grossman (good guy again!) and accepts the $8.5/yr deal from Waddell...Thrashers nation rejoices...season tickets double...Bettman gets his OV/D.C.-like turnaround/buzz in a non-traditional hockey market...

Old
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Toque-trick

Nice story but the finish is. Kovy gets a taste of a first class org, in NJ and says "This will never happen in ATL with that bumbling group of boobs running the show" and signs in NJ for $8m.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Jerdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque-trick View Post
Nice story but the finish is. Kovy gets a taste of a first class org, in NJ and says "This will never happen in ATL with that bumbling group of boobs running the show" and signs in NJ for $8m.
this

Old
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
haha, so true...what a shame...why couldnt we have hired Dudley 6, 7 years ago?

Old
02-06-2010, 09:53 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

wrong. He signs for 6.5 over 10 years.

Did you see the excitement in NJ last night? And to top it off, they had one of our patented last period endings.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Toque-trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
haha, so true...what a shame...why couldnt we have hired Dudley 6, 7 years ago?
The ownership is the core evil, any GM would be hamstrung by these morons. Not to say there aren't more qualified people out there, I just don't think they would have been able to make any substantive difference.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Why in GOD'S NAME do Waddell and company still have a job? Does anyone have a logical explanation for that?

One of my best friends from college was a Thrasher season ticket holder from day one. Great seats, lower bowl, blue line, about 8 rows up in a beautiful arena. He didnt renew his seats last year. NOT because he lost interest in hockey after 9 years, and not because he's a fair-weather fan, but because he finally got fed up with management and, in his words was "not going to pay good money for the product they're putting out on the ice". His decision to not renew was basically a vote of no confidence.

And from what I judge, there are a LOT of Thrasher fans like this. And then people b*tch that a team "cant exist" in ATL etc... which I think is pure nonsense. I think if someone could just make the team competitive they would be fine in ATL. But 10 years and only 1 postseason? The fact Waddell is still in charge is positively mind-boggling to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Did you see the excitement in NJ last night? And to top it off, they had one of our patented last period endings.
I got there are 6pm, so I could see him take the ice for pregame skate. There were only about 2000 of us there (probably not even that) but it was loud when he took the ice. Then when the team came on the ice before the game and he came out everyone stood and it was LOUD then too. One of the few times I've seen a standing ovation BEFORE a game.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Why in GOD'S NAME do Waddell and company still have a job? Does anyone have a logical explanation for that?

One of my best friends from college was a Thrasher season ticket holder from day one. Great seats, lower bowl, blue line, about 8 rows up in a beautiful arena. He didnt renew his seats last year. NOT because he lost interest in hockey after 9 years, and not because he's a fair-weather fan, but because he finally got fed up with management and, in his words was "not going to pay good money for the product they're putting out on the ice". His decision to not renew was basically a vote of no confidence.

And from what I judge, there are a LOT of Thrasher fans like this. And then people b*tch that a team "cant exist" in ATL etc... which I think is pure nonsense. I think if someone could just make the team competitive they would be fine in ATL. But 10 years and only 1 postseason? The fact Waddell is still in charge is positively mind-boggling to me.

I got there are 6pm, so I could see him take the ice for pregame skate. There were only about 2000 of us there (probably not even that) but it was loud when he took the ice. Then when the team came on the ice before the game and he came out everyone stood and it was LOUD then too. One of the few times I've seen a standing ovation BEFORE a game.

exactly this! I wish this were the lead on NHL.com!
Last weekend, 500 Thrasher fans traveled into 8 inches of snow and ice up to Nashville to let OUR PLAYERS know we cared. We drowned out the place and had fans all the way around the Thrasher's end of the rink during warm-ups. We were so loud before the team even came out, that Eric Boulton came out, still in t-shirt and shorts, to see what the hell was going on!
(then of course, TSN says, "Atlanta's small but loud group, right on cue!).

Old
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Toque-trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
When you own the team, who fires you? DW is a puppet and there's probably only so much he or Dudley can do.

There has to be some sort of loophole on page 1034 of the Owner's handbook that Bettman can use to force this cluster out as owners???

Old
02-06-2010, 10:49 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
When you own the team, who fires you? DW is a puppet and there's probably only so much he or Dudley can do.
I ask again, "how can Nashville and Buffalo manage to put competitive products on ice with the same budgetary constraints?" And how about the Phoenix resurgence?

It's Waddell. He needs to go. His 5 year plans shifted from experienced veterans past their prime, to small quick players that were supposed to succeed post-lockout while everyone else found big quick guys, to his newest sham: "who needs a star when we still have small guys and an AHL coach?"

Old
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
PeteNJ

Even bringing back Kovy this summer does not make this team competitive.

What the Thrashers need to do is TANK! Tank hard! Tank for Great Justice!

Look DW is a terrible GM. The Thrashers can't expect to follow the Detroit or New Jersey method with him in charge. Instead, they need to follow the Washington and Pittsburgh model with tanked seasons netting elite draft picks. The Thrashers have been bad, but rarely *that* bad. The only time Waddell drafts well is when the pick is obvious. Putting a Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin on this team next season would be better for the long term success than bringing back Kovy and his massive contract.

This plan does not guarantee instant success but it lays the ground work for long term success down the road. That is what the Thrashers need. Squeaking into the playoffs and getting blown out does nothing for the long term health of the franchise.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
I ask again, "how can Nashville and Buffalo manage to put competitive products on ice with the same budgetary constraints?" And how about the Phoenix resurgence?

It's Waddell. He needs to go. His 5 year plans shifted from experienced veterans past their prime, to small quick players that were supposed to succeed post-lockout while everyone else found big quick guys, to his newest sham: "who needs a star when we still have small guys and an AHL coach?"
Actually, DW said "we tried to build a the team around a player and it didn't work...we need to build around a team"

DW has always spun his wheels building the "Kovy Show" on a smaller budget 2005-6 was a big-budget affair, but he went too "veteran" with it. Now he's going to build like Nashville and Buffalo do.

Hey, that's what The Atlanta Hawks have done, and that's worked!

Old
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Toque-trick

Quote:

The Phoenix story this year is amazing. But my question to you is this; what GM worth his salt would want to come in at this point and work for this circus-like organization?

Old
02-06-2010, 11:45 AM
PeteNJ

Quote:
The Phoenix story this year is amazing. But my question to you is this; what GM worth his salt would want to come in at this point and work for this circus-like organization?
GMs have huge egos. I would think that any assistant GM/head scout person would love to be the guy who turns the Thrashers around.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Dudley is here.

It doesn't even matter who is at fault. Perception is reality and fan perception is what ultimately pays the bills in the sport of hockey. Not necessarily the other pro sports due to television.

So, if the fans believe it's Waddell and they stop coming to games, the ownership must respond to that in order to change fan perception. That's why coaches are fired instead of players. It makes a difference in perception. It raises hopes.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

wow is that dude serious... if i were an assistant gm and found out i could take over gm for another team, i'd be all over it and wouldn't care who the hell the team was

Old
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:

Kovy repeatedly maintains he wants to stay in ATL throughout entire process...Grossman wont budge on 'max deal'..Waddell goes public with his multiple contract offers that were refused...now grossman/kovy viewed as greedy/prima donna/khl bound...DW did all he could, saves face..but his and Grossmans asking price scares off potential suitors...

but why NJ? now instead of a marketable superstar languishing in ATL and possibly missing the playoffs yet again, he's moved to a team in the shadow of the largest media market in the world..BEFORE the Olympic stage and a month before the official trade deadline...Bettman licking his chops...

Lou Lams gets a piece for a Cup run, while getting rid of a down year D-man, a doghoused prospect and a prospect with baggage (while holding onto higher rated prospects and roster players)...Lou gets Salmela and flips 2nds for his 'troubles'.

Kovy now gains playoff experience, sees how an elite NHL organization is run from the inside, and is only 'away' from home for 5 months, not a whole year had he been moved this past summer.

July 1st arrives...Thrashers are restocked...Kovy now 'overrules' Grossman (good guy again!) and accepts the $8.5/yr deal from Waddell...Thrashers nation rejoices...season tickets double...Bettman gets his OV/D.C.-like turnaround/buzz in a non-traditional hockey market...
Yeah that's going to happen. I swear I heard about it on the news. Waddell is also going to acquire Luongo, Stamkos, Matt Duchene, Kopitar, Dan Boyle, Doughty, Brandon Yip and More. Leading the Thrashers to 7 Straight Cup victories. Yip gets 6 Conn Smythes. Also in 2017 the Coyotes finally move to Canada. So Canadians have nothing to talk about ever again. Also Oilers, Habs move to Orlando and Oklahoma City. Don't blame me I don't make the rules God does.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
We need a change of ownership. Preferably someone who cares enough about the team to surround himself with knowledgeable individuals if he himself doesn't know much about the sport.

We need a change at GM. Dudley is an option, but it's my understanding that he prefers more of a scouting role. It shows, even just this year, that he's putting his face on the ice. This team is going to get stronger because of his work.

Coach? Time will tell. Some will say he's lost the team. Some will say he's incapable of motivating the team. I say we had a rough first half last year due to disinterested parties and people who didn't fit the system. This year, we had a distraction. Let's give Anderson an opportunity to show what he can really do next year, when we have people who buy into the system and no major distractions.

I've come to terms with the loss of Kovalchuk. It was real, Kovy. You brought out a lot of people who've never watched hockey before. You brought back a lot of old-timers who remember Flames playoff games. Kids all over Atlanta idolize you. However, as fans, it's time to move on from this.

We can only go up from here. Whether it's up in the standings, or in the lottery race, time will tell.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Look DW is a terrible GM. The Thrashers can't expect to follow the Detroit or New Jersey method with him in charge. Instead, they need to follow the Washington and Pittsburgh model with tanked seasons netting elite draft picks. The Thrashers have been bad, but rarely *that* bad. The only time Waddell drafts well is when the pick is obvious. Putting a Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin on this team next season would be better for the long term success than bringing back Kovy and his massive contract.

This plan does not guarantee instant success but it lays the ground work for long term success down the road. That is what the Thrashers need. Squeaking into the playoffs and getting blown out does nothing for the long term health of the franchise.
Stefan, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lehtonen, Bogosian, Kane.

5 out of 10 seasons we have picked in the Top 5 in the Entry Draft.

Exactly how much more tanking do we need to do? How many more years of garbage hockey do you really expect this market to sustain?

There is enough to build around now in the NHL and in the NCAA and juniors pipeline for the Thrashers, the Thrashers just need to bring in a GM who isn't a total moron to finish the job.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Actually, DW said "we tried to build a the team around a player and it didn't work...we need to build around a team"

DW has always spun his wheels building the "Kovy Show" on a smaller budget 2005-6 was a big-budget affair, but he went too "veteran" with it. Now he's going to build like Nashville and Buffalo do.
Has he ever tried to build anything? It seems like a scatterbrained mess where he's always reacting rather than anticipating. He's awful.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I heard he was a great cup stacker in elementary school.

seriously, no more lamo excuses.

Excuses are like armpits. Everyone has them and the more they are worked the worse they stink.

We don't need to tank, we don't need to give Waddell any more "chances," we don't need to "blame bad luck." All of that is for LOSERS and no one has been better at THAT than 10 year Donnie.

Ok, the south is college football territory? How many of you want to hold on to your head coach for 10 years if you are constantly in the bottom 4 of the SEC or ACC?

Tech fans? UGA fans? Florida? Auburn? Bama fans???

I honestly hope DW gets booed out of the town hall. I hope the scant fans at the arena tonight boo the whole game.

I'm personally over the disappointment, depression, humor of it all.... I'm just finally flat angry because the next step is to stop following the NHL in Atlanta; and that is not my choice, it's been thrust on me by a bunch of bungling bafoons.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Tristelune

Quote:

Hum... Kovalchuk did got Tkachuk as mentor, interesting story. But at the end, I doubt it would happens

Old
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Toque-trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
wow is that dude serious... if i were an assistant gm and found out i could take over gm for another team, i'd be all over it and wouldn't care who the hell the team was
Yeah that dude is serious. Why would I come to a franchise that can't/won't keep any of their best players and it's pretty evident that most big name UFA's will pass on ATL and take less to play for a cup contender. What are you going to do to convince them to come play in front of home crowds of 7 grand each night? How do convince a top 3 forward or a top 2 D that management is willing to add even more to the budget to bring in more talent?

You may get some aggressive young fool looking to cut his teeth, but I don't think you'll find anybody of real talent willing to come in here until this ownership cluster is flushed out of town.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Lux Aurumque*

This isn't going to happen, so don't get your hopes up for it. Kovalchuk now has a taste of a franchise that actually works hard for its players and fans to put a competitive product on the ice.

The chances of him coming back to Atlanta in the offseason are about as likely as the Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this year.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
I'm just finally flat angry because the next step is to stop following the NHL in Atlanta; and that is not my choice, it's been thrust on me by a bunch of bungling bafoons.
Your resiliency is weak, my friend. If you stop following the Thrashers, that is your choice. You decided it. It happened. That's what it is.

Me? I'll never stop following the NHL. I'll never stop following the Thrashers. I watched some very dismal Red Wings games in the 80s. I'm still a Red Wings fan. I was born a Red Wings fan. Their "playoff bubble" status this year isn't changing that. If they completely tank for the next ten years? Red Wings for life.

I've watched some downright pitiful Thrashers games in the past decade, too. I abhor the management, and downright hate the ownership for what they've done to this team over the years. However, I love the Thrashers as a team. I might think White would be a better waterboy than a center, but that's not going to change how I feel about the team.

Stop following the Thrashers? You do so, and it's your choice. No one made you choose to stop. The decisions the idiots upstairs make have no bearing on how I feel about the team, the brand, and the NHL in Atlanta.

It shouldn't change how anyone feels about the team.

Let's go Thrashers!

Closed Thread