HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corvo + for Mueller?

Old
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Corvo + for Mueller?

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well. I havent been on in a while, but needed to talk some pucks this evening. I was reading a trade deadline thread earlier...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade...ine/top25.html

and I noticed that Mueller was available, and saw that speculation is that Phoenix is interested in Corvo. Was wondering if anyone here would be interested in bringing Mueller on board? He has obviously been struggling this year, but there is some decent potential there.

If so, what else would the canes have to throw in to make that deal?

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Gr8Dan

corvo + our wallin 2nd from the sharks?

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:37 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Fourth period is brutal, half of their speculations are ridiculous. All that said, no, he's not really worth our time. There's no point in potentially depleting our picks/prospects pool for another centre. We need high end wingers and defenseman. With Staal and Sutter locking up our top two centre spots, we have no real need or spot for Mueller.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Well, I am not sure I TOTALLY agree with your point, although it does have merit.

Would we not be better served having one of Sutter or Mueller as the 3rd line center? Cullen should be traded soon or not returned next season. This team is trying to go young as well. I would by no means say to trade Corvo and a first round pick or 3 or 4 other picks to get him. But if the deal made sense, maybe we would consider it.

Old
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Corvo and a first?! What?

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

BTW, Mueller may be listed as a Center, but he is currently noted as playing RW on the Coyotes team report. The guy has had an absolutely brutal year. Whats to say we cant get him for Corvo straight up?

He has played less than 5 minutes through half the game tonight too.

Old
02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Gr8Dan

Isn't that our specialty? Making players with bad seasons good again?

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:38 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

I wouldn't mind seeing Mueller on the team if the price was right. He's got some really nice potential, and as Moosetache said, he can play wing. He's a big guy with some good offensive instincts, and at age 21 he has a lot of time to work on his game and become a productive NHL'er

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Well, I am not sure I TOTALLY agree with your point, although it does have merit.

Would we not be better served having one of Sutter or Mueller as the 3rd line center? Cullen should be traded soon or not returned next season. This team is trying to go young as well. I would by no means say to trade Corvo and a first round pick or 3 or 4 other picks to get him. But if the deal made sense, maybe we would consider it.
So your willing to give up Corvo+ picks/prospects for a 3rd liner? The 'Yotes will not give up Mueller for Corvo and a second. They're looking for young roster players to step into their lineup now. They're building for the future and with Jovo and Aucion not getting any younger, they won't be looking to add a UFA and risk having their d corps depleted.

The deal won't make sense because a team like Toronto looking for depth down the middle will overpay. If we were getting a bargain (Corvo + Walker) then yes it's obviously a deal we should pull the trigger on, but many teams will be interested in adding a young centre with top 6 potential. They have no reason to move him, so the deal will never really be right for us. You got to give up talent to get talent, and that holds even more true for young players. The price is too high for an asset we don't need.

Edit: He's not fast enough nor physical enough to be an effective winger IMO. He's an average at best skater and unless he makes huge strides (Sorry for the pun) in that department, I can't see him being anything more than a second line centre. He has good hands, vision and has good finishing ability which all scream centre. When he's on he's excellent at controlling the offensive cycle. We'd be wasting him on the wing IMO.

Double Edit: Also, considering his play is slowly coming along and his value couldn't be any lower, why would PHO move him? He's only 21 and likely will be an important part of the 'Yotes future. Unless Turris makes huge strides and makes Mueller expendable (Which he hasn't done yet), there's no point in trading him unless the offer is too good to pass up. Let's face it, a play off appearance won't save the 'Yotes financial troubles. The whole ownership, moving fiasco seemed to scare off a number of fans and it'll likely take a couple years of playoff success before they're able to build a strong fan base (And time isn't exactly on their side). But I'm getting away from my point, just because Mueller is being shopped (Which might not even be), doesn't mean he will be moved. They're in no hurry to move him.

Last edited by NobodysFaulkButMine: 02-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.
NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:21 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Corvo and Bowman.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:40 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Mueller reeks of a Rutherford acquisition.

I think that Mueller is a very good gamble. His speed problems are very overrated. He doesn't have quick feet, but he has more than enough pace to be a dominant player in the league.

What Mueller needs is a) a change of scenery b) a chance to play centre with at least one good winger for a whole season and c) a coach that will put him on the point on the PP. Don't know if that's available in Carolina or not, but if it is, you might as well send in an offer, because he'll never come cheaper

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post
Mueller reeks of a Rutherford acquisition.

I think that Mueller is a very good gamble. His speed problems are very overrated. He doesn't have quick feet, but he has more than enough pace to be a dominant player in the league.

What Mueller needs is a) a change of scenery b) a chance to play centre with at least one good winger for a whole season and c) a coach that will put him on the point on the PP. Don't know if that's available in Carolina or not, but if it is, you might as well send in an offer, because he'll never come cheaper
Sounds like a younger, slower version of Cullen. Count me in to be perfectly honest, although I don't know how many good wingers we'll have next year.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Corvo and Bowman.
Why Bowman? He's possibly the best scorer in the making this team has and I prefer him to Mueller right now.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

In my honest opinion, we stuck with this for next season:

Jokinen- Staal- Ruutu
Boychuk- Sutter- Cole
Samsonov- new player- Tlusty
Larose- Dwyer- Kostopoulos

Gleason- Carson
Pitkanen- McBain
Alberts- Picard

Ward

I don't see spot for Ray Whitney honestly. Yeah, we can move Samsonov, put Boychuk on third line and bring Ray to play where he belongs, on top 6, but i doubt, seriously, any team will take Samsonov. This contract was so stupid, Rutherford. SO STUPID. I like Samsonov, he's not floater, he give everything.... but i want to see him go. Like i said, i doubt. Boychuk, imo, will be 100 % ready for jump next season. In last few calls he looks better and better. I don't know for Tlusty - he's RFA. He deserves to get one year, at least, contract. The kid has skills, we need to be patient with him. The third line center is interesting situation. Cullen back? Call me crazy but i think this Jacob Micflikier kid can surprise people on training camp, if he gets opportunity, and win regular spot. He works so hard, he's NHL ready. He's on 26 year, not so young. Now is time to move on. He works perfect in AHL with Chris Terry. I prefer Terry but he's not ready for sure. Dalpe, per Chip, may be ready. Imo in training camp we will see. Dalpe or Micfliker are my darkhorces for team next year. Yeah, we see - there's no spot for Bowman and Samson. Samson is ready 100 % but we should move Samsonov and not bring back Whitney. It's not gonna happen. In perfect world, JR will move Samsonov and Cole but we know, this is impossible.
Don't call me crazy but i don't want to see big UFA signing this year. Sorry, Frolov for example, is nice player, very underrated skills but i prefer to spend some money and wait kids like Terry, Bowman and Dalpe to be ready for 11-12. I said it before - i don't see future for Samson with Hurricanes. Even for Terry, maybe for Bowman too. Samson can be good but i prefer to lose him over Bowman and Terry.

Defense... ah, this defense... Carson are lock for spot. I really think there's a very big chance Carson to get top 4 spot. Picard will stay here because this kid has some skills and will surprise in next few months. Gleason and Pitkanen = locks. Alberts for bottom pairing is money. So, who will get last spot? Corvo back for overpayment (JR thing), McBain will make jump? Or JR will sign guy like Hamhuis? Or maybe underrated kid like Lawson will win spot in training camp? Every offseason in every team some kids surprise and win spots. Maybe we can see this summer this here too - Dalpe, Lawson, Micflikier.

I forgot Fowler and Seguin, sorry .

If we can get via trade Ladd or Versteeg, count me for this. But otherwise, no big signing, Jimmy.

Old
02-15-2010, 11:11 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:

If we can get via trade Ladd or Versteeg, count me for this. But otherwise, no big signing, Jimmy.
We need to upgrade our defense, badly. With that defense we're going to get absolutely ***** by anyone with a quality offense. At the bare minimum we need at least one more legit top 4 guy. Frankly we need it even if we retain or bring back Corvo. A legit shutdown type to either cover for an offensive defenseman or to form one hell of a shutdown pair with Gleason is a must. Of course, if we don't bring Corvo back we're going to likely need an offensive guy as well, but still, the defense MUST be addressed this offseason.

Old
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
We need to upgrade our defense, badly. With that defense we're going to get absolutely ***** by anyone with a quality offense. At the bare minimum we need at least one more legit top 4 guy. Frankly we need it even if we retain or bring back Corvo. A legit shutdown type to either cover for an offensive defenseman or to form one hell of a shutdown pair with Gleason is a must. Of course, if we don't bring Corvo back we're going to likely need an offensive guy as well, but still, the defense MUST be addressed this offseason.
I think Hamhuis is ideal guy for Canes. People forgot how good was this kid in 05/06 and 06/07. He's exactly what this defense need.

Others interesting options for me - Daley from Dallas and Girardi from Rags.

Old
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

That defense is awful, Mcbain probably won't be here full time next year and Carson does not need to be anywhere near our top pairing. We have to sign a solid guy like Hamhuis or something that can play a shutdown game.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I would be in favor of bringing in Mike Van Ryn for peanuts. With him essentially having missed the last two years with injury, he could likely be had for a song. With our depth in the AHL, even an injury couldn't hurt us all that much but the upside when healthy would be tremendous. When healthy, you're talking about a guy who can score 30 to 40 points while bringing a strong physical game. He would be on top of my list of targets come July.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I would be in favor of bringing in Mike Van Ryn for peanuts. With him essentially having missed the last two years with injury, he could likely be had for a song. With our depth in the AHL, even an injury couldn't hurt us all that much but the upside when healthy would be tremendous. When healthy, you're talking about a guy who can score 30 to 40 points while bringing a strong physical game. He would be on top of my list of targets come July.
Is he old enough to be eligible for an incentive heavy contract? He wouldn't be a bad option but with his injury history I just can't trust the guy. Over the last 3 seasons he's played 47 games. Joni Pitkanen has played more games then that this season alone. I'd do a league minimum to 750K deal with bonuses that could bring him up significantly above that.

Old
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Forslund hinted at something like this, and I'd be interested in trying it out to be honest:

Whitney // Staal // Jokinen
Samsonov // Sutter // Boychuk
LaRose // Ruutu // Cole
Dwyer //Brind'Amour // Kostoupolos

Obviously, the wingers and line order are interchangeable but the idea is Ruutu down the middle. You're still going to have the problem of Boychuk, Tlusty or LaRose not in the top 9 unless Sammy or Cole are moved, which I don't see happening for contract purposes. I really think Cole is the bigger albatross than Samsonov, to be honest, because when Cole isn't creating havoc he's not being effective. And coming off another significant injury that is almost certainly neck related, just how productive can we expect him to be next year?

I also think that if Whitney isn't brought back then some type of playmaker is needed. I don't see someone who can really get players the puck like Whitney can.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

What about Babchuk?

Old
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
GIN ANTONIC

I've always been a big fan of Mueller since his showing at the WJC. Would love him on the team. I'd also like to see Corvo and or Seids back next year too though. I can honestly see Corvo being dealt and then coming back in the offseason. Yes, he's due for a raise but I think something around 10.5 over 3 years could get it done. He's probably worth more than that, but I think after being in a Canadian market he'd be willing to give up some cash to stay somewhere where he's more comfortable. Hamhuis would be nice but I think he'll price himself out of our range. Daley interests me. Dallas needs some more shaking up it seems so I think he could be had for a reasonable price.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Is he old enough to be eligible for an incentive heavy contract? He wouldn't be a bad option but with his injury history I just can't trust the guy. Over the last 3 seasons he's played 47 games. Joni Pitkanen has played more games then that this season alone. I'd do a league minimum to 750K deal with bonuses that could bring him up significantly above that.
I would think he's eligible for that kind of contract, but it would count against the cap obviously. I think that is the "catch" with incentive based contracts that favors small market teams. You have to represent the full cost of the incentives in the cap hit of the player even if you don't end up paying that full amount out to the player by virtue of him missing those bonuses. For us, that wouldn't be a problem obviously. For other teams.... that could be a big time problem. That's what I think makes him an ideal target for us. He's still fairly young, he's obviously damaged goods, but when he's healthy he's still a tremendous defenseman.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
i doubt, seriously, any team will take Samsonov. This contract was so stupid, Rutherford. SO STUPID.
Hindsight is 20/20. I bet you loved that contract when it was signed just like the rest of us. I can't think of anyone who openly objected to it off the top of my head. He played great after we claimed him and everyone thought it was a steal.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. I bet you loved that contract when it was signed just like the rest of us. I can't think of anyone who openly objected to it off the top of my head. He played great after we claimed him and everyone thought it was a steal.
Even though I liked/like him, he had only gone over 20 goals once since the 01-02 season, so he still had something to prove in my eyes. I was surprised the length of it and/or hoped the good ol' hometown discount would price it around $2M/year. I thought JR overpaid.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote