HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if we lost and no one cared?

Old
02-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post

I know we are trying to showcase some vets, but I can't stand seeing Pisani (sp) and Horc out there on the pp over guys like Brule Cogs and MP.

If this team is serious about a rebuild it has to start putting the younger guys in more prominent positions.
Trade deadline is March 3rd - then things change.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Normally fans from other teams come here & tell us we are going to lose....

We respond rudely telling them we are going to win....

Twilight Zone...........
Yeah, I despise it. Sympathy is just another form of disrespect in this regard.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Didnt belittle anyone.
If this year doesnt clue one in that the Oilers lineup in the past few years had serious, & I mean serious problems, there is zero convincing anyone.
And Im not pinning this on Quinn. Im pinning it on the sad excuse they have for leadership & talent on this team.
Its clear that MacT wasnt the problem. Some wont man up though. No suprise there.
If anything this is showing us how rock solid Dwayne Roloson really was last year.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Trade deadline is March 3rd - then things change.....
Yup, I have to agree. I think there'll be a marked change in what constitutes the Oilers starting lineup once that day comes and goes.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

How many games have Oiler goalies stolen this year? I can probably count them on one hand. Roloson was in "steal" mode virtually every start last year.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I know we are trying to showcase some vets, but I can't stand seeing Pisani (sp) and Horc out there on the pp over guys like Brule Cogs and MP. If this team is serious about a rebuild it has to start putting the younger guys in more prominent positions. I fail to see why Horc seemingly keeps getting spoon-fed pp minutes, he's done absolutely nothing to deserve them.
Watch him backcheck. He is almost always the first guy back. Coaches love that ****.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Normally fans from other teams come here & tell us we are going to lose....

We respond rudely telling them we are going to win....

Twilight Zone...........

We are so bad we are the object of pity. Even from Canuck fans.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Five left hand shooters on the PP? Should we put that on Tambelowni or, might that, just possibly, be a bit of a coaching thing...
I'm sorry but 5 left hand shots isn't an excuse for the PP to be that bad. Especially 5-3. There should be so much space that you have no trouble taking shots. **** shoot from the goal line. With TWO more guys on the ice you think maybe you'd have a chance at the rebound.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:13 AM
TigerWoo

It's sp sad following this team

What players do people here think *should* stay?

I get what management says. It is hard to evaluate players when the whole team sucks a**

But who would we keep?

Who do we know would play the same way everyday?

I say Vis would, but for future rebuild, I cut him out.

Gagner I would keep.

Smid I would keep.

I would keep Penner, but the guys been more lazy than he should be. He's 50/50.

I would keep Brule.

I *might* keep a tough guy, but who is it? I want a legit tough guy. Not Storts or Jaques.

Stone seems lazy. Comrie seems like he knows his furniture is set. I don't care what anybody says, but hemsky seems like a lazy guy to me overall.

Some guys have fire in their eyes. Some don't.

I wish Horcs was charity garbage.

Moreau and Staois are nothing to me. I hope they get traded.

I was actually a tad impressed with Pouliot the last while. Looks more physical.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:52 AM
jeremywilhelm

Denis Grebeshkov needs to remove his head from his anus. This guy is brutal.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:50 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post

I get what management says. It is hard to evaluate players when the whole team sucks a**
That's a poor excuse on their part, though. Basically, when they say things like that, it means "we can't do our jobs." Whether the team is doing well or not, you have to be able to evaluate your players. If you can't, you shouldn't be a GM.

Now, being unable to evaluate a guy because he's injured, sure, that's a viable reason. If he's not on the ice, it's impossible to evaluate him. But all of our players (save Khabi and maybe Hemsky) have played enough games throughout the year for our GM's to evaluate them, and make decisions on who to move and who to keep.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Interesting, (I am not doubting you.). Was this from tencer or a differentnsource?
Stauffer Mentioned it during the broadcast, about the scouting, I'm just speculating after that.

Though if you're Dallas and you're interesting in Visnovsky, it makes sense to get him know, just encase he gets hurt at the Olympics.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
And Shawn Horcoff finishes at Even par for the day to stay at -31 and atop the leaderboard, but the young gun Patrick O'Sullivan finished with a dramatic birdie on 18 to finish at -28, just 3 strokes back of Horcoff at the Rexall F This Team Open.

well done!

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:41 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It could happen.Looking at our schedule in March,we have to play some hard teams.

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 Oilers Kings
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 Ducks Oilers
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 Oilers Predators
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 Oilers Blackhawks
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 Wild Oilers
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 Devils Oilers
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 Senators Oilers
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 Oilers Canadiens
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 Oilers Maple Leafs
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 Oilers Blue Jackets
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 Oilers Wild
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 Red Wings Oilers
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 Sharks Oilers
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 Canucks Oilers
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 Ducks Oilers
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 Oilers Blues
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 Oilers Red Wings
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 Oilers Stars
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 Oilers Coyotes
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 Wild Oilers
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 Avalanche Oilers
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 Oilers Kings
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 Oilers Ducks
If we're to win at least once, I just want this game

Then I can say to my Nucks colleague "oh yeah...you got beaten by the ********* team ever assembled since the lockout"

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post

But who would we keep?

Who do we know would play the same way everyday?

I say Vis would, but for future rebuild, I cut him out.

Gagner I would keep.

Smid I would keep.

I would keep Penner, but the guys been more lazy than he should be. He's 50/50.

I would keep Brule.

I *might* keep a tough guy, but who is it? I want a legit tough guy. Not Storts or Jaques.

Stone seems lazy. Comrie seems like he knows his furniture is set. I don't care what anybody says, but hemsky seems like a lazy guy to me overall.

Some guys have fire in their eyes. Some don't.

I wish Horcs was charity garbage.

Moreau and Staois are nothing to me. I hope they get traded.

I was actually a tad impressed with Pouliot the last while. Looks more physical.
I think Comrie's been really good considering he was out for a long time with mono. I'd keep him on another short term, low $ contract.

Smid, Potulny, Gagner, and Brule are definite keeps. That's all.

I've like Pouliot so far this year. He should probably stay unless part of a deal to unload overpaid vets.

I think Jacques is a legitimate tough guy who can actually skate. I love Stortini's passion, but he is just a bad hockey player.

I really liked Stone before he got hurt. Also, his knee didn't heal right so he was in pain in his last couple of games. I don't think he was being lazy.

Keep one, maybe two of Cogliano, Nilsson, O'Sullivan. These guys are painful to watch. So much talent, just don't know what to do with it.

moreau, Horcoff, Souray, Staios can all go if anyone wants them. They'll be stuck with Horcoff for sure.

Gilbert should probably stay. I think he's looked OK lately. He was so bad early on, but has settled down a bit.

Grebeshkov gone. A team in the KHL will likely want him. His spot should be taken by Chorney, Peckham, motin, or Plante.

I love Fernando and I'd like to keep him for leadership, but only if he's willing to sign for one year at close to league minimum.

Hemsky can stay. I agree, it's time the kid shows more passion and leadership,but I'd like to see him with Eberle, mps, or Hall/Seguin. I don't think he's ever played with anyone close to his ability outside of Team Czech.

Khabibulin can stay. Whatever.

I'd keep Strudwick. He's cheap. Good leader. Why not? One more year. Hopefully Petry or Plante or someone can take his spot in 2011-2012.

Penner can stay. He's been good enough. He needs the Olympic Break to recharge.

Deslauriers and Dubnyk are not the reason for this mess. They can stay.

I think that's everyone. If I missed someone, they're not important.

EDIT: I can't believe I missed Visnovsky. I'd love to keep the guy, but if they can get a sweet deal for him, I say take it.

Last edited by smokersarejokers: 02-11-2010 at 09:30 AM.
smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:08 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
I think Comrie's been really good considering he was out for a long time with mono. I'd keep him on another short term, low $ contract.

Smid, Potulny, Gagner, and Brule are definite keeps. That's all.

I've like Pouliot so far this year. He should probably stay unless part of a deal to unload overpaid vets.

I think Jacques is a legitimate tough guy who can actually skate. I love Stortini's passion, but he is just a bad hockey player.

I really liked Stone before he got hurt. Also, his knee didn't heal right so he was in pain in his last couple of games. I don't think he was being lazy.

Keep one, maybe two of Cogliano, Nilsson, O'Sullivan. These guys are painful to watch. So much talent, just don't know what to do with it.

moreau, Horcoff, Souray, Staios can all go if anyone wants them. They'll be stuck with Horcoff for sure.

Gilbert should probably stay. I think he's looked OK lately. He was so bad early on, but has settled down a bit.

Grebeshkov gone. A team in the KHL will likely want him. His spot should be taken by Chorney, Peckham, motin, or Plante.

I love Fernando and I'd like to keep him for leadership, but only if he's willing to sign for one year at close to league minimum.

Hemsky can stay. I agree, it's time the kid shows more passion and leadership,but I'd like to see him with Eberle, mps, or Hall/Seguin. I don't think he's ever played with anyone close to his ability outside of Team Czech.

Khabibulin can stay. Whatever.

I'd keep Strudwick. He's cheap. Good leader. Why not? One more year. Hopefully Petry or Plante or someone can take his spot in 2011-2012.

Penner can stay. He's been good enough. He needs the Olympic Break to recharge.

Deslauriers and Dubnyk are not the reason for this mess. They can stay.

I think that's everyone. If I missed someone, they're not important.
I think you have just listed next years line up, I can see most of the above mentioned players here next year.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Now, being unable to evaluate a guy because he's injured, sure, that's a viable reason. If he's not on the ice, it's impossible to evaluate him. But all of our players (save Khabi and maybe Hemsky) have played enough games throughout the year for our GM's to evaluate them, and make decisions on who to move and who to keep.

-JH.
I have to think that management has finished with the evaluation process. I think they know who's staying, and who they would like to move. Now it's just a matter of finding the right deal. Hopefully they spent some time evaluating the coaching staff as well.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What if we lost and no one cared?
What if?!?

So was it determined what the bench minor was for?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Oilerz

Ideal season finish: Edmonton-30th, Calgary 17th.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yeah, I despise it. Sympathy is just another form of disrespect in this regard.
Word

*Hopefully* in a couple years no one feels sorry for us. I want them to really hate the Oilers.

I remember these boards when the Blackhawks and Capitals were awful, pretty sure no one feels sorry for them now.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Didnt belittle anyone.
If this year doesnt clue one in that the Oilers lineup in the past few years had serious, & I mean serious problems, there is zero convincing anyone.
And Im not pinning this on Quinn. Im pinning it on the sad excuse they have for leadership & talent on this team.
Its clear that MacT wasnt the problem. Some wont man up though. No suprise there.
At this point does it really matter. I didn't believe MacT was the problem last year either. But I wasn't bothered with mgmt. bringing in Quinn and Renney either. It was time for a change, if MacT was still the coach IMO we would still be in the same boat as we are today. This team lacks in almost all areas of the game with the exception being coaching. Quinn, Renney and MacT all know hockey and tried (and failed) to implement a system to win hockey games but all lacked the skill/belief/heart from the players to achieve any measure of success. It is a exercise in futility to determine who was the better coach when this downfall clearly rests on the players shoulders.

McTedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Ideal season finish: Edmonton-30th, Calgary 17th.
Why 17th? I want the Coyotes to draft in the top ten!

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I'm sorry but 5 left hand shots isn't an excuse for the PP to be that bad. Especially 5-3. There should be so much space that you have no trouble taking shots. **** shoot from the goal line. With TWO more guys on the ice you think maybe you'd have a chance at the rebound.
Having 5 left handed shots on the PP is not a recipe for success.
It is a limiting factor for creating offence and it is easier to defend.
This is a fail for the coaching staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
That's a poor excuse on their part, though. Basically, when they say things like that, it means "we can't do our jobs." Whether the team is doing well or not, you have to be able to evaluate your players. If you can't, you shouldn't be a GM.

-JH.
Tambos never ending evaluation phase is a mystery at best. I have know idea why player evaluations weren't clear to him last season.
Maybe he was trying to save face for Lowe by trying the "change the coaching and hope for the best" method of GM'ing.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Having 5 left handed shots on the PP is not a recipe for success.
It is a limiting factor for creating offence and it is easier to defend.
This is a fail for the coaching staff.
Speaking of limiting - so are their options. The only right-handed shots that played last night are:

Brule, Pouliot, Gilbert, and Staios. For two units. And one of them never (normally) plays on the PP.

02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Five left hand shooters on the PP? Should we put that on Tambelowni or, might that, just possibly, be a bit of a coaching thing...
It's all part of the plan man, it's all part of the plan!

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote