HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brashear wants out-asked to be traded (Update: Reported to Hartford/Played game)

Old
02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Rustingo12

vCash: 500
http://capitals.fandome.com/video/11...s-Blair-Betts/

Watch this video and you will have every reason to hate this bum.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
nyr2417

this video also makes me wish we had players like paul mara on this team

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i dont know what make my stomach turn more, watching that video or the fact that 3 months later he was in a ranger uniform. disgusting move by sather. im just so thrilled both sather and torts were so sure nyr fans would forget the betts hit quickly and he would become a fan favorite right away...ya howd that one work out for ya?

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Rustingo12

Brashear is like Satan living in heaven. Heaven being MSG.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
i dont know what make my stomach turn more, watching that video or the fact that 3 months later he was in a ranger uniform. disgusting move by sather. im just so thrilled both sather and torts were so sure nyr fans would forget the betts hit quickly and he would become a fan favorite right away...ya howd that one work out for ya?
I think if he played the way he has, the Betts incident would be forgotten pretty easily. But the fact is, he's been ineffective, if not invisible, in the games he's played.

02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Leaf fan here, I come in peace. I just heard the Brashear comment about Orr and was a little confused. Was Orr that bad in New York? I think he does his job quite well and finishes every check when he gets ice. Doesn't seem to complain about lack of minutes or take any penalties really, I wouldn't call him a liability on the ice either. Did Brashear play 3rd line minutes on the Rangers or something?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Leaf fan here, I come in peace. I just heard the Brashear comment about Orr and was a little confused. Was Orr that bad in New York? I think he does his job quite well and finishes every check when he gets ice. Doesn't seem to complain about lack of minutes or take any penalties really, I wouldn't call him a liability on the ice either. Did Brashear play 3rd line minutes on the Rangers or something?
Orr was awesome and Brashear is out of his effing mind.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Brashear is a complete stooge. Not bright, not talented, not worth 1.3 million. Hated him as a Canuck and everywhere since.

There are a lot of NHL enforcers who do their jobs with honour and a code and are gentlemen off the ice. Donald Brashear does not and is not.

Waive his sorry ass.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
I would say 90% of the fan base loved Colton, and that is probably low balling the number. I don't think he ever complained about his minutes here, and was managed perfectly under Renney. He probably owes a lot to Tom for making him a better hockey player, and for giving him a chance in the league. So yea I miss him like a lot of fans do.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmmm interesting..... tomorrows the trade freeze right?

I wanted to like Donald. I understood the idea of trying to improve the enforcers role outside of just enforcing.

But if he gets picked up it would be like he was never even here. Pppooof Hes been a complete non factor. A real head scratcher.

Man, once Prust put that Ranger Jersey on and went about his business it was so clear this team was operating basically without any credible fighter.

Is there any doubt Prust is the best all around player of Donald/Colton/Voros?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Colton was a great Ranger. He broke faces. But he could not score and he was always on a line with Betts and Hollweg/Sjo/anyone else who can't score.

The Rangers continue to try to generate a more balanced offensive contribution. Without much success

The Rangers had to be happy with Coltons enforcing I guess. But he was rather predictabale. He fights the other teams goon. He's not really out there intimidating anyone who it would be great to see intimidated just a little to take them off their game.

He never f'd with the other teams better players.

He is the definition of a good fighter who can't skate play well enough to go up against the other teams better players without getting Pwnd by hockey

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Orr was a great fighter who really couldn't do much else when he first joined the Rangers. He was slow, out of position, and didn't have any puck skills to speak of. When he left the rangers, he was slow, in slightly better position thanks to his very hard work at improving, and didn't have any puck skills to speak of. He gave it his all every game...he was a good soldier. He just couldn't skate well enough and didn't have the hockey IQ or skills to make for a very good defensive or offensive forward. All he could really do, and he did it extremely well, was fight.

When Brashear was brought in I thought he would be the player who did well for the Caps, a big body who skated pretty well for his size and could do a little damage on the forecheck, could actually move and shoot the puck, and still throw fists with the heavyweights. I don't know what happened to him over the summer, but he isn't the player he was for Washington.

Colton Orr is good at what he does, but can't do much else. Brashear was supposed to be an upgrade, but was useless and cost even more.

Last edited by Khelvan: 02-12-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typos
Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Hopefully him getting waived is setting the stage for somebody to claim him off re-entry waivers. I'd gladly accept a deal to do that similarly to how we bailed out Dallas with taking Avery off their hands for half price.
HaHa, funny joke. No one is going to take Brashear as a favor to the Rangers--the difference between him and Avery is that Avery actually had some value as a player to the Rangers: do you really think there is a team out there that thinks Brashear can help them, not only this year, but next season too?

Plus, Brashear actually has to be assigned to the AHL before he can be recalled and thus, subject to re-entry waivers.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:21 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

So apparently we're saving 400,000$ against the cap. Are the 100,000 mentionned earlier were prorated or am I mising something?

Quote:
The Rangers put Brashear on 24-hour waivers yesterday, meaning other teams have until noon today to put in a claim for him. Brashear, who is making $1.4 million per season, would come off the books for the rest of the season, saving the Rangers about $400,000 against the salary cap, but it is unlikely that the bruiser will be picked up by another team.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Sq2Cj0fSEpsWaM

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
So apparently we're saving 400,000$ against the cap. Are the 100,000 mentionned earlier were prorated or am I mising something?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Sq2Cj0fSEpsWaM
$400,000 in the cap space for this season

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team....ate=2010-02-12

It's actually $427,979

$100,000 involves next season

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I just don't understand if he was tossed on waivers then why did he accompany the team to Pitt, and why is he skating in practice?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:22 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
$400,000 in the cap space for this season

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team....ate=2010-02-12

It's actually $427,979

$100,000 involves next season

Thanks for the clarification. Still hoping someone will pick him today tho.

Btw, just for curiosity, let's say Sather is really really mad against Brashear, could he assign him directly to Charlotte without passing by Hartford? Got that question in my mind since yesterday. Sorry to bother you RangerBoy.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Still hoping someone will pick him today tho.

Btw, just for curiosity, let's say Sather is really really mad against Brashear, could he assign him directly to Charlotte without passing by Hartford? Got that question running around my mind since yesterday. Sorry to bother you RangerBoy.
The Rangers would need Brashear's permission to assign him to the ECHL. Only players on entry level contracts can be assigned to the ECHL without their permission.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Ok, thanks. I'll go to bed less stupid tonight.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Vitto79

ok so if he clears which he really should they should just send him down to the freaking minors on March 1st. I doubt they do it when he is still travelling with the team

I know what i'll be looking for at noon cause I expect no Ranger deals. They have 6 D and they are on the road

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Teams can still place players on waivers today at noon and the waivers would expire tomorrow at noon. Even though the roster freeze is today at 3pm,players can be waived and get picked up tomorrow. I read Kenny Holland got that explanation from the NHL because he is looking to trade or waive a player(s) to clear space for Lilja.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
ok so if he clears which he really should they should just send him down to the freaking minors on March 1st. I doubt they do it when he is still travelling with the team

I know what i'll be looking for at noon cause I expect no Ranger deals. They have 6 D and they are on the road
Why March 1? Assign him to the AHL between 12pm-3pm today if the intention is to assign him to Hartford. The Rangers save the cap room and ruin Brashear's vacation plans.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:47 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Colton Orr knew his role, didnt complain got his head down and got on with it.

Brashear thought he had a sense of entitlement and thinks he deserved more minutes because he feels he is a better player than what he is.

**** off Donald i dont care about your life story, everyone has their own troubles. I hope a team picks him up becasue has became a punch bag, i want to see him continue to get his ass whipped.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Orr was a great fighter who really couldn't do much else when he first joined the Rangers. He was slow, out of position, and didn't have any puck skills to speak of. When he left the rangers, he was slow, in slightly better position thanks to his very hard work at improving, and didn't have any puck skills to speak of. He gave it his all every game...he was a good soldier. He just couldn't skate well enough and didn't have the hockey IQ or skills to make for a very good defensive or offensive forward. All he could really do, and he did it extremely well, was fight.

When Brashear was brought in I thought he would be the player who did well for the Caps, a big body who skated pretty well for his size and could do a little damage on the forecheck, could actually move and shoot the puck, and still throw fists with the heavyweights. I don't know what happened to him over the summer, but he isn't the player he was for Washington.

Colton Orr is good at what he does, but can't do much else. Brashear was supposed to be an upgrade, but was useless and cost even more.
I agree with this 100%.

Prior to this season Brashear was a much better hockey player than orr. I don't know what happened to him but he is not anything like the player he was last year. He's completely useless.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Eh, he did his job well in terms of "he punched people to death". He was invisible at anything else, which I guess is fine if all you expect out of your fourth line is that they hopefully don't get scored on and they punch people occasionally.

The theory of bringing Brashear in was fine...he is a better skater than Orr, he has more hockey skills and could theoretically do more, but he just flopped. I wasn't even expecting a lot out of him, but I did expect him to not lose a bunch of fights.

I feel like Renney did hold Orr back from fighting as much...but whatever.

I don't mind losing Orr, the Rangers just shouldn't have replaced him with Brashear for $1.4 mill

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote