HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hank & the Olympics

Old
02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
Hank & the Olympics

I have to think that Hank is going to feel like he's on vacation when the Swedish team in front of him scores at least 3 goals per game...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
ThirdEye

How good is the Swedish team supposed to be this year? Seems like every top Swedish player is struggling a little bit this season.

Can't imagine the sheer joy he will have seeing Lidstrom in front of him instead of Redden all the time.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Also vacation for fans who'll have the chance to watch decent hockey...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Lets just hope he comes back healthy.

Otherwise this guy will be wearing red white and blue come June.
|
|
|
|
\/

Attachment 37844

Last edited by BroadwayBlues: 04-20-2011 at 07:57 PM.
BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
How good is the Swedish team supposed to be this year? Seems like every top Swedish player is struggling a little bit this season.

Can't imagine the sheer joy he will have seeing Lidstrom in front of him instead of Redden all the time.
The team has injury problems, more than most teams I would say. Alot of players aren't 100%. But, it has skill, especially at center position and defense. The problem is a lack of quality wingers. One thing Swedish national teams have working for them, is they usually develop instant chemistry, all have alot of fun just being there and play well as a unit.

I'd say the team has a shot at medal, since the defense (both skill wise and toughness wise this time) and special teams will probably be solid as usual. Hank can make all the difference in such a short tournament. I don't think it would be more than bronze though.

And yeah, having guys like Lidström, Kronwall, Doug Murray, Oduya, Enström and Öhlund, paired with defensive centers like Bäckström, Zetterberg and Forsberg in front of him must feel like heaven compared to the Rangers.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
SouvenirCity

I just fear the mega-slump Hank'l hit mid-march, like in 2006. At the end of the 05'-06' season, most notably the Devils series and the weeks leading up, you could see the physical toll playing those high-tension, high-impact games took on him. The worst part, that season he was splitting time with Weekes.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
I just fear the mega-slump Hank'l hit mid-march, like in 2006. At the end of the 05'-06' season, most notably the Devils series and the weeks leading up, you could see the physical toll playing those high-tension, high-impact games took on him. The worst part, that season he was splitting time with Weekes.
It was also his first season in NHL, he wasn't used to play that many games. He also played each game with maximum adrenaline, which he admitted burned him out, both physically and mentally.

I think he's better prepared to handle it now than when he was a NHL rookie.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
LundqvistGirl35

Anything But a Vacation for "Lunkan"

Sweden has a lot work ahead, much like the other teams in the Olympics.

Of Course it's a nice feeling to comeback as defending champs......

As GoalieHenrik Will Have to really Step Up, Because the margin for error is very slim...

He loves competition...This Would be a great chance for him to be a learder in goal for team Sweden.

LundqvistGirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
ohbaby

They won't have their captain Mats Sundin this time around.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

isn't it every olympics we say sweden is a long shot? they don't have a single player on their roster that isn't a slick passing fluid skater. their transitional game was disgusting last olympics, but they did lose Sundin, and Naslund, and who knows what you get out of Forsberg at this point.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
LundqvistGirl35

Yes.....But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
They won't have their captain Mats Sundin this time around.

True.....But That's a great opportunity for the likes of Zettenburg, Forsberg, and a few others to take on leadership roles.

The Swedes are close knit group so finding leadership won't be a problem.

Then there are the twins, and Lindstrom, along with young talent added to the team.

LundqvistGirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
isn't it every olympics we say sweden is a long shot? they don't have a single player on their roster that isn't a slick passing fluid skater. their transitional game was disgusting last olympics, but they did lose Sundin, and Naslund, and who knows what you get out of Forsberg at this point.
Yeah, but now they have Backstrom.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
It was also his first season in NHL, he wasn't used to play that many games. He also played each game with maximum adrenaline, which he admitted burned him out, both physically and mentally.

I think he's better prepared to handle it now than when he was a NHL rookie.
These are very good points and bare noting.

Hank is coming into these Olympics as sharp as any goaltender.
I mentioned earlier how Hank has looked much sharper after tweaking his positioning and posture with goalie coach Benoit Allaire a few games back. And he has never looked better.

Coming back after the break, is a question mark, but I feel much better this time around. Like said, he's no longer a rookie, plus I have confidence Chad Johnson will give him some great support in the backup roll.

Old
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
When you’re looking to rule the world, it’s always good to have a respected ‘King’ leading the charge.

Known as ‘King Henrik,’ there’s no doubting Henrik Lundqvist will go a long way in determining how Team Sweden will fare at the upcoming Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

If past history is any indication of their chances at winning gold, Swedish players and fans have plenty of reason for optimism.

Lundqvist's most memorable international performance came at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, where he led Sweden to the gold medal over their arch rival, Finland. In six Olympic starts, Lundqvist went 5–1, allowing just 12 goals with a .907 save percentage.

It was sweet redemption for Sweden after a disastrous 2002 Olympics in which they lost to Belarus and skated away finishing in fifth place.

“I know I was watching the game but I don't remember where it was, actually,” recalled Lundqvist, of the unexpected loss. “It feels like such a long time ago. I don't know, I remember I saw the game, but everyone else was kind of shocked after the game. Things started to happen. Especially now the teams are getting stronger and stronger, even the smaller teams, if you can say the smaller nations.

“I don't think any player will think about the past,” continued Lundqvist. “They will just try to focus on the tournament. Of course we're going to go for the gold, but there are a lot of nations that have a very good team.”
http://www.nhlpa.com/News/Headlines/...fend-his-crown

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:25 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i could see Sweden winning it and as i am British with no affiliation to any team the Swedes are who i am rooting for.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i back any team with rangers on them. just got my lundqist & gaborik olympic T-shirts.

when it comes down to best of one game in the KO, i want the hottest goalie - so i say lundy has a good chance to repeat

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Lundqvist's major problem with his glove hand is mental. It isn't a problem of not having a fast hand or good reactions, it is that he simply just forgets to hold it high when he gets himself square to a shooter. You can see that he admits this himself in interviews. His glove hand is actually decent...but the more tired he is the more he forgets to lift his glove high.

You can see him correcting this and popping his glove up after he forgets to set it high, but it isn't second-nature to him, which means he'll remain prone to errors until it is.

I think we'll see some problems after the Olympics - he may be better prepared this year, but he's only human, and mental errors increase with fatigue.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

We'll be unstoppable on a good night, and we will make the NYR look good on a bad night...

...nah but seriously, Hank could be in for some ugly games. We have a team with some pretty flawed players and a lot of guys with big questionmarks. The team is constructed -- to the extreme really -- to handle the puck and take it to the other team.

The thing is, if controlling the puck don't work, it could be a long night for Lundqvist. Lidström is closing in on 40 years. Kronwall have a bum knee. Öhlund isn't what he used to be. Enström is a midget. Doug Murray could star in the Incridble Hulk, but isn't exactly mobile. Mange Johansson, a SEL star, is a midget closing in on what like 36 or something. That blueline needs a controlled environment. Up front, everyone know about Forsberg. Påhlsson can't skate anymore. Franzen have played 3 games after blowing his knee completely. The list is long of questionmarks.

Hank better be ready.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
Quote:
It was sweet redemption for Sweden after a disastrous 2002 Olympics in which they lost to Belarus and skated away finishing in fifth place.

“I know I was watching the game but I don't remember where it was, actually,” recalled Lundqvist, of the unexpected loss. “It feels like such a long time ago. I don't know, I remember I saw the game, but everyone else was kind of shocked after the game. Things started to happen. Especially now the teams are getting stronger and stronger, even the smaller teams, if you can say the smaller nations.

“I don't think any player will think about the past,” continued Lundqvist. “They will just try to focus on the tournament. Of course we're going to go for the gold, but there are a lot of nations that have a very good team.”
http://www.nhlpa.com/News/Headlines/...fend-his-crown
Hehe, "shocked".

I am laughing, because the thing is, the feelings in Sweden after that game can not be described. Or like, I don't think anyone who didn't see the reactions would believe a description of it.

Where I lived at the time, Umeå, in part of the city (Ålidhem) where there was a lot of student, there was a TV thrown out the window at least every 30 yards. Maybe that was a bit extreme, and a chain reaction. Like people saw someone throw out a tv, and did the same. But there must have been 250 TVs on the streets around the blocks where I lived.

People couldn't believe it. There was mass hysteria, no other word for it.

Last edited by Ola: 02-15-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hehe, "shocked".

I am laughing, because the thing is, the feelings in Sweden after that game can not be described. Or like, I don't think anyone who didn't see the reactions would believe a description of it.

Where I lived at the time, Umeå, in part of the city (Ålidhem) where there was a lot of student, there was a TV thrown out the window at least every 30 yards. Maybe that was a bit extreme, and a chain reaction. Like people saw someone throw out a tv, and did the same. But there must have been 250 TVs on the streets around the blocks where I lived.

whoa...crazy swedes ;-)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:30 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hehe, "shocked".

We need more stories like these for the next 2 weeks

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Chimp

2002... what a horrible sports year. First that lousy Belarus team in february and then that lousy Senegal team in the WC in football in OT, with the new, totally worthless "golden goal" rule.

An old friend of mine were one of the guys who threw a TV out the window on Ålidhem btw. His corridor mates weren't that satisfied with that decision, but hey, they probably planned to watch some Idol or something, so I'd say they should've thanked him instead.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Lundqvist's major problem with his glove hand is mental. It isn't a problem of not having a fast hand or good reactions, it is that he simply just forgets to hold it high when he gets himself square to a shooter. You can see that he admits this himself in interviews. His glove hand is actually decent...but the more tired he is the more he forgets to lift his glove high.

You can see him correcting this and popping his glove up after he forgets to set it high, but it isn't second-nature to him, which means he'll remain prone to errors until it is.
This was corrected in his session with Benoit Allaire. One of Hanks weaknesses has always been his glove hand. Everyone in the league, knows it's impossible to score on him low. So not having a good glove hand is even more pronounced when everyone is going high on him. But since tweaking his posture with the goalie coach,... his glove hand has been spectacular. He has never looked better. He is staying square to the shooter with his shoulders back, not leaning forward as you might, anticipating and being anxious to make the save. This puts his glove in a better position to make the save. His glove is higher cause he is standing tall in net, and has less to travel, being more efficient.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'd definitely like to see Henrik nil down another medal. Sweden has a strong club, i'd say the third best right now, so its certainly a strong possibility.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
chosen

I much prefer watching a semi-final Olympics hockey game to a Stanley Cup Finals game, unless the Rangers are in it.

To me, it's the best hockey there is. I realize that that is not a majority opinion. I don't care who wins the Gold but I sure wouldn't mind seeing Hank win again.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote