HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hank & the Olympics

Old
02-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
This was corrected in his session with Benoit Allaire. One of Hanks weaknesses has always been his glove hand. Everyone in the league, knows it's impossible to score on him low. So not having a good glove hand is even more pronounced when everyone is going high on him. But since tweaking his posture with the goalie coach,... his glove hand has been spectacular. He has never looked better. He is staying square to the shooter with his shoulders back, not leaning forward as you might, anticipating and being anxious to make the save. This puts his glove in a better position to make the save. His glove is higher cause he is standing tall in net, and has less to travel, being more efficient.
I would say "improved," not corrected. Watch him over the last few games. There are times, especially when he's under intense pressure, where when he is squaring himself to a shooter (especially immediately after making a save) he forgets to raise his glove hand up, and will snap it up after remembering.

Allaire didn't "correct" the problem, he made Lundqvist aware of the problem so that he could work on it. He has been working on it, but even in his most recent interviews recognizes that he has to do more work, and keep it up at all times.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:11 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
I would say "improved," not corrected. Watch him over the last few games. There are times, especially when he's under intense pressure, where when he is squaring himself to a shooter (especially immediately after making a save) he forgets to raise his glove hand up, and will snap it up after remembering.
Thats like saying 6 instead of a half a dozen.

Quote:
Allaire didn't "correct" the problem, he made Lundqvist aware of the problem so that he could work on it. He has been working on it, but even in his most recent interviews recognizes that he has to do more work, and keep it up at all times.
Allaire did correct the problem,... by bringing it to his attention. If he didn't mention the problem to Hank, then how would he work on it? He provided Hank the tools. It matters little that Hank has to remind himself to use them, as it seems to be working superbly.

Point being,... Allaire noticed the problem and had a "correction" for it.

And it's more than keeping his glove high. If he keeps his shoulders back, he will be taller in net, and his glove would be higher to start with.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Thats like saying 6 instead of a half a dozen.
No, saying "correct" instead of "improve" is like saying 6 instead of 2, when the goal is 6.

Saying "corrected" is stating that the problem is fixed. Sorry to be a stickler here, but language is important, and using it as a common basis of communication requires us to agree on meaning.

Quote:
Point being,... Allaire noticed the problem and had a "correction" for it.

And it's more than keeping his glove high. If he keeps his shoulders back, he will be taller in net, and his glove would be higher to start with.
It seems like we're talking about the same thing, and I mostly agree, except that I believe his glove will remain his primary problem regardless of the position of his shoulders if he continues to forget to raise his hand when he squares in position.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
No, saying "correct" instead of "improve" is like saying 6 instead of 2, when the goal is 6.

Saying "corrected" is stating that the problem is fixed. Sorry to be a stickler here, but language is important,.....
That is exactly what I'm saying! The problem was solved. He was given the tools in practice to correct his posture in net. The result = improved play. It's a done deal. Does this mean you will never see another glove hand goal on him? No,.... But a definite improvement over the past.

You are very much being a stickler here. I won't disagree using the word "improved" would also fit. But corrected is a better fit when applied with a teacher, student, coach, player senario. Would you say the coach improved the player's mistake or bad habit, fault? Or corrected it? It's always up to the student to appy what he has learned, but the teacher still did his job to correct the problem.

I don't know why you have a problem with the words I have chosen. If you really are in agreement with me,.... then you should just say so, instead of picking apart the words I have chosen to express the situation.

Last edited by ohbaby: 02-17-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We'll be unstoppable on a good night, and we will make the NYR look good on a bad night...

...nah but seriously, Hank could be in for some ugly games. We have a team with some pretty flawed players and a lot of guys with big questionmarks. The team is constructed -- to the extreme really -- to handle the puck and take it to the other team.

The thing is, if controlling the puck don't work, it could be a long night for Lundqvist. Lidström is closing in on 40 years. Kronwall have a bum knee. Öhlund isn't what he used to be. Enström is a midget. Doug Murray could star in the Incridble Hulk, but isn't exactly mobile. Mange Johansson, a SEL star, is a midget closing in on what like 36 or something. That blueline needs a controlled environment. Up front, everyone know about Forsberg. Påhlsson can't skate anymore. Franzen have played 3 games after blowing his knee completely. The list is long of questionmarks.

Hank better be ready.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much I want to watch these games to be honest. This could be like the all-star game last season when they scored like 4 goals on him before he could even blink.

I think all the games will be the high score type because of the small ice. Luckily, Sweden still has a decent roster than can score some goals if they can play as a team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We'll be unstoppable on a good night, and we will make the NYR look good on a bad night...

...nah but seriously, Hank could be in for some ugly games. We have a team with some pretty flawed players and a lot of guys with big questionmarks. The team is constructed -- to the extreme really -- to handle the puck and take it to the other team.

The thing is, if controlling the puck don't work, it could be a long night for Lundqvist. Lidström is closing in on 40 years. Kronwall have a bum knee. Öhlund isn't what he used to be. Enström is a midget. Doug Murray could star in the Incridble Hulk, but isn't exactly mobile. Mange Johansson, a SEL star, is a midget closing in on what like 36 or something. That blueline needs a controlled environment. Up front, everyone know about Forsberg. Påhlsson can't skate anymore. Franzen have played 3 games after blowing his knee completely. The list is long of questionmarks.

Hank better be ready.
Hank will be ready. Mark my words. He has never played better in his life than he is playing right now. Even he can't believe the stops he is making lately. He has been shaking his head, lowering his head in disbelief after saves lately. Could be he can't believe he made the stops or is upset about the chances the opposition is getting. Either way, Hank is ready for a great performance.

You watch,... The only way they will score on Hank is off a great deflection.

Last edited by ohbaby: 02-17-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hank will be ready. Mark my words. He has never played better in his life than he is playing right now. Even he can't believe the stops he is making lately. He has been shaking his head, lowering his head in disbelief after saves lately. Could be he can't believe he made the stops or is upset about the chances the opposition is getting. Either way, Hank is ready for a great performance.
I believe he is not shaking his head at how great the save was he just made, but more in the fields of "in the name of god, where was my defense?" or "allah most merciful and gracious, how did the defense let them get through?"...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
I believe he is not shaking his head at how great the save was he just made, but more in the fields of "in the name of god, where was my defense?" or "allah most merciful and gracious, how did the defense let them get through?"...

I mentioned that also. But I'm not sure he would openly display his distain to his teammates. But it does seem the most plausible.

Old
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
TheHotRock

been so long since i've seen Henrik happy

he had such a giddy little **** eating grin during that postgame interview. good for him!

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
ohbaby

Told ya Hank would be ready. First shutout for Sweden since '94

Old
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
broadwayblue

Too bad he can't face Germany every night. lol

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Nick00

Yes Henrik, this is what it feels like to have competent defensemen playing in front of you.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
John Torturella

Maybe Henrik can do a little recruiting?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Celestial Black

Can't wait to see some more games.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 01:58 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Maybe Henrik can do a little recruiting?
Magnus Johansson?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Chimp

What I laughed out loud about was then the Swedish reporter asked Hank if he thought the Swedish defense had allowed too many scoring chances in the game.

You could actually see Henrik smile and look up into the roof, clearly thinking: "Are you frigging kidding me?" He looked back at the reporter and said something like: "Not really."

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Chimp

Update: Hank won't play tomorrow against Belarus. The Monster will be in net, Liv will guard the bench door. Hank will have some well earned rest and eat popcorn in the TV studio.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Update: Hank won't play tomorrow against Belarus. The Monster will be in net, Liv will guard the bench door. Hank will have some well earned rest and eat popcorn in the TV studio.
Its good to be the King?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote