HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will happen in 2 years?

Old
02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Rustingo12

vCash: 500
What will happen in 2 years?

In the near future (a seemingly long one) during the offseason, a little more than two years from now, something is going to happen. Drury's contract will be gone, there will not be a 4th line center making more than 7 million. Rozsival assuming we don't trade him will also be gone. Brashear and Voros will already be gone from last year. The only disappointment would be hanging on to Redden for another two years.

Should we as Ranger fans be proud of the near future? Our core along with our prospects will develop. Henrik will still be with us as well as Gaborik. If we can sign the right pieces for the appropriate amount could we be a serious contender for the Stanley cup?

Or should we be devastated? Will Sather sign another horrendous contract? Will injuries plague our team? Will our prospects not live up to our expectations?

I am asking if anyone is excited for the upcoming future. I think it looks really bright. Or does anyone think we will still be stuck with more cap gulping contracts. Are we destined for mediocrity or are we destined for a dynasty? Another 8 seeded team barely making it into the playoffs or a top 4 contender?

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Greg NYR

we will all be pulling our hair out of our heads about the ten year contract slats gave patrick marleau.

seriously though hopefully all goes well and they stick to the plan of building from within hopefully with a new gm.

Greg NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustingo12 View Post
In the near future (a seemingly long one) during the offseason, a little more than two years from now, something is going to happen. Drury's contract will be gone, there will not be a 4th line center making more than 7 million. Rozsival assuming we don't trade him will also be gone. Brashear and Voros will already be gone from last year. The only disappointment would be hanging on to Redden for another two years.

Should we as Ranger fans be proud of the near future? Our core along with our prospects will develop. Henrik will still be with us as well as Gaborik. If we can sign the right pieces for the appropriate amount could we be a serious contender for the Stanley cup?

Or should we be devastated? Will Sather sign another horrendous contract? Will injuries plague our team? Will our prospects not live up to our expectations?

I am asking if anyone is excited for the upcoming future. I think it looks really bright. Or does anyone think we will still be stuck with more cap gulping contracts. Are we destined for mediocrity or are we destined for a dynasty? Another 8 seeded team barely making it into the playoffs or a top 4 contender?
The optimistic Ranger fan in me would say that in 2 years we will be in great shape and in 3 years probably be cup contenders. Our current core of youth will have been developed. Staal will be entering his prime, Lundqvist and Gaborik will still be in their primes, Anisimov, Del Zotto and Gilroy will be experienced threats on the ice and who knows? Maybe Rozi or Redden will be gone by then. In two years Drury will be gone and we can use that cap space to fill in the voids. Plus there's Grachev, Stepan and Kreider to look forward to entering our club as the "fresh youth."

The pessimistic Ranger fan in me would say that in 2 years we will only be better off in the sense that Sather's mistakes will hopefully be coming off the books only to be replaced by new mistakes. Our young prospects will be traded (bundled) with toxic assets like Redden and Rozi or we will surrender picks and hamper our future. And the pessimistic me will always say, regardless of how good we are, that we won't win the cup with a GM/President and Owner who only cares if MSG's seats are full.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

I think were going to have a top team, we have alot of potiental top prospects like Grachev, Stephen, Kreider, a bunch more, and some young players that havnt reached there potiental like AA, Staal, DZ. well thats only if sather doesn't give up stupid contracts...

Tony D63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
jniklast

The world ends in 2012

Seriously though, I just can't see Sather not spending to the cap for a single season. So he will sign new free agents to big deals, and the only hope we have is that they are either worth it, or the deals are at least short.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Emptyvoid

Guess it depends on how our prospects pan out, and what the UFA's will be in two summers. Anyone know who they will by any chance?

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Guess it depends on how our prospects pan out, and what the UFA's will be in two summers. Anyone know who they will by any chance?
Here's a list:
http://www.capgeek.com/contracts.php...n=APPLY+FILTER

But of course, there will be lots of new contracts in between.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
pwoz

We'll drastically overpay for at least 2 more 30+ year olds.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
broadwayblue

Assuming the organization doesn't do anything stupid we'll be looking quite good in 2 years. The combination of Hank and Gabby in their primes, our young D maturing, our prospects contributing, freedom from the cap hell that Drury/Redden have caused, and hopefully a few key signings will make us a legit contender. We really could be a solid team in a couple of years...I'm looking forward to it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

We will still be in the same division as Carter, Richards, Parise, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, and maybe even Kovalchuk as as long as that's the case and we still have "prospects with potential" then I am not sold. Right now it is a lot of ifs:

IF Sather doesn't make any stupid UFA signs
IF all of our prospects pan out
IF everyone stays healthy, etc etc....

Compare that the more certain futures of the teams in our division I am kinda worried about this team being stuck in mediorcity for a long time.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustingo12 View Post

I think it's impossible not to be excited when you look at the disaster of a hockey club the Rangers are right now. Even if Sather screws it all up again, at least we'll have a new set of players to hate, and new list of complaints to Sather, and a new cap ceiling 1/4th of an inch above our heads.

What I'm saying is: it can't get much worse than it is right now.

then again...

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
hlundqvist30*

Lundqvist will demand a trade
Gaborik's groin will explode
Del Zotto gets a severe concussion that completely cripples his ability to play hockey
Sanguinetti, Grachev, Kreider, McDonagh and Stepan become this decade's equivalent of Bryce Lampman, John Tripp, Rico Fata, Ales Pisa, and Jamie Lundmark
Glen Sather is annointed GM/President for life

Am I forgetting anything?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
We will still be in the same division as Carter, Richards, Parise, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, and maybe even Kovalchuk as as long as that's the case and we still have "prospects with potential" then I am not sold. Right now it is a lot of ifs:

IF Sather doesn't make any stupid UFA signs
IF all of our prospects pan out
IF everyone stays healthy, etc etc....

Compare that the more certain futures of the teams in our division I am kinda worried about this team being stuck in mediorcity for a long time.
Agreed. Some big IFs there.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Del Zotto gets a severe concussion that completely cripples his ability to play hockey
Sanguinetti, Grachev, Kreider, McDonagh and Stepan become this decade's equivalent of Bryce Lampman, John Tripp, Rico Fata, Ales Pisa, and Jamie Lundmark

Dubinsky and Callahan will collide into each other, making them both vegetables simultaneously. Marc Staal will realize his true passion and become an Animal Biologist. Oh, and Sather will sign Patrick Marleau to a 7 year, $49M contract with a full NMC.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
rangers4ever2007

redden in hartford
stepan will be C'ing gabby
kreider and cally will be together, so will grachev and AA
staal becomes team's shutdown d-man (as if he isn't already)

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

This would be my dream in a few years (e.g., no R&R, droopy):

Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Grachev - Horton
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Soryal - Byers - Weise

Staal - Del Zotto
McDonagh - Sanguinetti
Gilroy - Sauer

Lundqvist
Johnson

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
NYRangers77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Here's a list:
http://www.capgeek.com/contracts.php...n=APPLY+FILTER

But of course, there will be lots of new contracts in between.
Hey Ales Kotalik is a free agent that year....

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
the future could hold anything. we said the same thing 4 years ago, then sather went out and handed bad contract after bad contract, and some younger players didn't develop as quickly as we thought they would

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
I think he'd look real good in ranger's blue. Plus we could really use his cannon from the point.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
ecemleafs

after trading MDZ, Girardi and Kreider for Horton, we need D. Sign Brent Burns to a 6 year 50m contract. Horton remains injury prone and Burns is a shadow of his former self before concussions.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Rustingo12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

Chris Drury shows good behaviour as captain and gets resigned 10 years 8 million per year.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
lol. i was gonna say the same thing. 3 year 9m sounds good?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Drury and Rozy will be coming off and Redden's contract I belive thins out in the last 2yrs so he could concivably be tradeable at that point.

Considering Detroit has Zetts, Datz, and Franzen locked up to hefty saleries for just about ever...I'd like to see Kronwall in our backend if we could swing it somehow in 2012. And hopefully our guys who we have now are developed into what we think they are and are deserving of long term contracts that can be financed with the 3 crap contracts we carry now till then.

If this is what our line up looks like in 2012 I'b be thrilled.

Grachev - Anisimov -Gaborik
Kreider- Stepan - Bourque
Avery - Dubinsky - Callahan
Soryal - Byers - Weise

Staal - Del Zotto
Kronwall - Sanguinetti
Gilroy - McDonagh

extras: John Scott, Cody McCormick

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:27 PM
blue2noise

Redden will have 13 more years left

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:43 PM
darko

Patrick Marleau will have another 8 years to run on his deal at 7+ mill a year. Oh yeah and he'll be potting 15-20 goals a season too.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote