HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daryl Katz on at 2 pm

Old
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
The Joker*
Simba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Whats everyone b!thcing about? He just confirmed we're in a rebuild and said Tambo has free rein to do what he wants to turn this thing around.

So many times I read on here about people whining that the club should be forward and tell people we're in a rebuild and then the fans would lay off as we understand what a rebuild will require... patience. Well, we were just told that so... be patient.
Everyone in here already knew that.

The Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue897 View Post
You honestly felt that was overly insightful? Lots of hype for nothing

What were you hoping for him to say? I really don't understand this... no, it's not like I was sitting there going "A rebuild?! My goodness, why hadn't I thought of that?" But I WAS sitting there going "good. He's on board with it too. That's a relief."

I literally have no clue what else you could have been hoping for.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Valens

He mentioned rebuild, what's not to like ffs? Furthermore, we are talking sports here, you want an in depth 60 minute interview akin to what the Prime Minister would get?

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Boozers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Are you aware of Ted Leonsis' involvement with Capitals fans? He's one of media's best forward-thinkers but it doesn't take a genius to understand a fanbase- especially a fanbase in a rabid market like Edmonton- likes to be leveled with... especially after all the misdirection and manipulation of the Pocklington and EIG eras. All we're asking for is a little bit of transparency.

The fans deserve a straight answer once in a while. Based on your thinking, the captain of a ship that's sinking should keep his trap shut because he's hired others to run the thing.
Exactly, Its amazing how interactive a guy like Mr.Leonsis' is with fans and I envy not having an owner like that with Mr.Katz I understand maybe he isnt comfortable doing It but at the same time get somebody who is then

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post
What were you hoping for him to say? I really don't understand this... no, it's not like I was sitting there going "A rebuild?! My goodness, why hadn't I thought of that?" But I WAS sitting there going "good. He's on board with it too. That's a relief."

I literally have no clue what else you could have been hoping for.
many oiler fans have slightly unrealistic expectations.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Shizuka

It was an organizational 'mea culpa', with the owner up front. I don't think it's particularly fair to expect him to outline a detailed analysis of plans going forward, with respect to roster moves, trades, etc. etc. Yes, we all realize Stauffer is towing the line here, he's on their payroll for crying out loud. The pressure is undoubtedly on Tambellini, and given the baying for blood he needs to come out with a completely rebuilt roster going into camp next season.

Let's see what he does here.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
A twitter alert is big hype?

Fans ask for him to speak. They say he's going to speak. Fans hyped themselves.
It was hyped more than twitter. Did you hear Tencer before they aired the interview?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
metallicat

Uh oh, we have a special guest on the phone next. Who can this be?

Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
It was hyped more than twitter. Did you hear Tencer before they aired the interview?
You mean on his station 10 minutes before the interview started?

Geez.

EDIT: I wish this was Gregor's show. This clown caller would get laughed off the airwaves.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Digger12

So now that Katz has come out and pretty much said that the rebuild is on the front burner, does that mean:

1) The annual white whale hunt this org does every summer will have at least a 1 year reprieve?

2) Will Hemsky want to stick around for a restructuring that could see a 3-4 year wait until playoff contention returns, especially if the team decides to stop with the "find someone to play with Hemsky" snipe hunt and instead build this team around whoever they pick with what will very likely be the #1 overall pick?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
I applaud him for doing the interview. He clearly isnt an eloquent speaker. So what if it was manipulated pr? At least he put himself out there. I give him credit for that.

Interesting that Bob is saying Horcoff has a nmc when nhlscap has it as a ntc. I wonder who is right?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TigerWoo

That's what he was supposed to say. We're in a rebuild.

He's not that dumb.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GatoradeG*

Oilers+100mill for Coyotes. What is this guy thinking?

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
metallicat

Oh Principe is the special guest. Awesome.

Old
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
It doesn't take 5 years. It never takes 5 years.

Chicago and LA didn't do it right for years. It took them 2 drafts and a few higher picks turning out from before to turn them around. We have that last part already.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
So now that Katz has come out and pretty much said that the rebuild is on the front burner, does that mean:

1) The annual white whale hunt this org does every summer will have at least a 1 year reprieve?

2) Will Hemsky want to stick around for a restructuring that could see a 3-4 year wait until playoff contention returns, especially if the team decides to stop with the "find someone to play with Hemsky" snipe hunt and instead build this team around whoever they pick with what will very likely be the #1 overall pick?
Am I missing something here? If we wanted to do a rebuild why would we trade any of our veterans they are so good at getting us high draft picks. Katz to me sounded like he wanted the team to get better ASAP and Tambo can do whatever it takes to do it. Look this league is fairly open. If the Oilers Ice a competent team they can challenge for the playoffs every year. They might not make it but they will at least be competitive.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
You mean on his station 10 minutes before the interview started?

Geez.

EDIT: I wish this was Gregor's show. This clown caller would get laughed off the airwaves.
Serious Gord? Yeah that's a whole lot of ridiculous.

As far as Katz is concerned, it's nice to hear from in. He strikes me as a guy who, if he feels the team isn't being well served, with **** can people.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Shizuka

Quote:

I sure as hell hope so, though it shouldn't preclude bringing in some solid vets to help stabilize what will be a young lineup (again).

Quote:
Reading the subtext into the Jagr rumours, that's what I'd guess he would be brought in for; to allay Hemsky's dissatisfaction and give him another elite skilled player to bounce off of in the meantime? Remember, it's not impossible to turn things around in a short time -- needless to say lots of pieces have to fall in place.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

That is what I wanted to hear answered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post

What were you hoping for him to say?
I was hoping he would say that he will be a hands off owner from this moment on... That he will not get involved in contract negotiations or UFA signings...

Quote:

More interesting is he says his contribution to the Arena (100m dedicated) is based on the model of the city owning the Arena and that his contribution changes if HE owns the Arena.
That is the only relevant part.... But what does that mean?

Seriously, without specifics, that means nothing......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
r0adApples

I wonder how the players will take his comment about Tambo have the green light to do what ever it takes to make the team better.

r0adApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

i can't believe there are people calling 1260 wondering why katz is not some great orator.

he is a billionaire not tony ****ing robbins.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadApples22 View Post
I wonder how the players will take his comment about Tambo have the green light to do what ever it takes to make the team better.
It's just facing facts. The team is dead last. They're pros and knew beforehand what is likely coming.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
OilerNut*

I think people were expecting him to announce that he has put out a bounty of $100,000 each for "taking care of" Cogliano, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Horcoff, Khabibulin, Moreau, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Pisani, Souray, Staios, Strudwick.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
i can't believe there are people calling 1260 wondering why katz is not some great orator.

he is a billionaire not tony ****ing robbins.
But wouldn't it be great if he was both? Daryl Katz, motivational speaker and NHL owner.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
Am I missing something here? If we wanted to do a rebuild why would we trade any of our veterans they are so good at getting us high draft picks. Katz to me sounded like he wanted the team to get better ASAP and Tambo can do whatever it takes to do it. Look this league is fairly open. If the Oilers Ice a competent team they can challenge for the playoffs every year. They might not make it but they will at least be competitive.
Because you encourage young players to grow, and want to promote a winning positive atmosphere. They don't just get to the NHL and all mesh together in 5 days. You still have to have some veteran players around, doesn't mean they have to pot 30 goals or score 60 points, but you need to create a positive atmosphere where the older players mentor the young guys. What is Moreau going to teach a young player.. How to hook and trip players to give opposing fans something to get excited about?

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote