HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daryl Katz on at 2 pm

Old
02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
But wouldn't it be great if he was both? Daryl Katz, motivational speaker and NHL owner.
Heh. Katz needs his Steve Balmer.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

I think people were expecting him to announce that he has put out a bounty of $100,000 each for "taking care of" Horcoff, Khabibulin, Moreau.
Fixed it for you.....

And I had friends waiting to earn some spending money....... They are devastated right now........

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Heh. Katz needs his Steve Balmer.

Who let Crazy George on stage for a MS event?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Gusher

vCash: 500
This board is very bi-polar.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
This board is very bi-polar.
Rexall sells the medication!!! It's a conspiracy!

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
TigerWoo

I don't get what people were expecting. Do you guys think he just woke up today in his mansion overlooking Hawerlak park and said, "Hey, I'm gonna go lie to a bunch of people."

He knows how shi**y his team is. Don't you think Bob Black asked him about his "We Suck" comment before saying it?

Does he have money? Yep.
Will he profit? Yup

Should he? That probably was/is his hard work. He wants to raise this city up.

Why not let this guy, who reached such a big fortune, lead us to a new downtown?

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Whats everyone b!thcing about? He just confirmed we're in a rebuild and said Tambo has free rein to do what he wants to turn this thing around.

So many times I read on here about people whining that the club should be forward and tell people we're in a rebuild and then the fans would lay off as we understand what a rebuild will require... patience. Well, we were just told that so... be patient.
people here are unbelievable!!

What the he'll were you all expecting?

1. He admits the team needs to rebuild

2. Tambo has carte blanche (meaning he could do buyouts etc)

3. Financing model not set in stone.

All important points. What were you all expecting to hear??

This board is damn ridiculous sometimes.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

Quoted for Truth

*****ing for the sake of *****ing I guess.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Buying out Horcoff would be a big mistake. Buying out Horcoff means the buyout is on the Oilers cap for 10 years.
nope if we buy him out after this year it will be only 1.8 million and 8 years that not too bad it would help us a lot
buts only if we can get rid of another contract as well

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

Yeah I do not know what they expected to be honest?! He actually said more than I thought he might and more than we sometimes have gotten from management in the past.

Despite some indications we are going into a full rebuild. It seems like no one in management wants to actually come out and say it straight out in clear terms to the fans. Katz did that today. I feel a little better that we are not going to do something stupid like suddenly change our minds and pursue Kovalchuk or something dumb like that.

The carte blanche thing IMO is more telling than some think. For one thing if Tambo does nothing (or at least not much) this Summer Katz is basically telling us it is all on Tambellini for not doing anything. As he has all the tools and permission he needs to make those tough but necessary decisions (buy outs, demotions etc...).

The arena thing is not far enough along to give too many concrete answers but he put out there some of what some of us would like to hear right from his lips. The fact that he came out and even talked which seems to be something that annoys people that he never does this sort of thing.

I have to admit I think the board is being overly harsh on this interview and I do not know what else was expected? It gets a tad ridiculous at times.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
I was hoping he would say that he will be a hands off owner from this moment on... That he will not get involved in contract negotiations or UFA signings...
He basically said Tambo has full control to do what the team needs.....does Katz have to spell it out on a giant Las Vegas sign and put it on every street corner too? Maybe incorporate the sign into new Oiler TV commercials. Buy SNWest's Calgary contract out and put the Oilers 1/2 Hour there with giant banners displaying what you want to hear.....All anyone has to do here is LISTEN

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
TigerWoo

A smart businessman would never air what he "wants"

People should realize that.

Old
02-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Everyone in here already knew that.
I don't think eveyrone in here already knew that.

I also think this is a lose/lose situation for Katz and the Oilers in addressing the media and the fans.

Because many people here *apparently* are so sure that Katz and his STH's will not tolerate a full out rebuild.

People here are (or at least they've claimed/said so) not convinced management is willing to trade away bloated contracts, bury guys in the minors or do whatever it takes to show they're committed to - or are actually doing - a rebuild.

Many people have been saying Tambellini & Lowe are going to thow 10 years 100 million at Kovalchuk this off-season or overpay for a player who's destined to handicap the team and underperform, thus prooving they are infact not committed to the longer term plan.

Sure this interview might of been lame, but I like what I heard for the most part and I really hope they follow through on everything.

Exciting new team ready to contend by the time the new arena gets built. Call me optimistic but I like the thought of it!

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
TigerWoo

The city of Edmonton needs to make up their mind.

A whole idea of an arena doesn't start up if it isn't for a rich guy or girl.

Do you want to go ahead with this rich persons deal and improve your city? Even though he/she will make a profit in the long run?

Or do you want to stay in the backward city we now live in?

Do any of you have the money to come "step up" and improve this city?

Old
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

He basically said Tambo has full control to do what the team needs.....does Katz have to spell it out on a giant Las Vegas sign and put it on every street corner too? Maybe incorporate the sign into new Oiler TV commercials. Buy SNWest's Calgary contract out and put the Oilers 1/2 Hour there with giant banners displaying what you want to hear.....
I'd be happy with an electrical shock chip put in his butt that is set off whenever he says the words "trade for" or "sign"...

That would make me happy........

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
nope if we buy him out after this year it will be only 1.8 million and 8 years that not too bad it would help us a lot
buts only if we can get rid of another contract as well
Nope, it's 10 years.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT

02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
TigerWoo

Anybody here want to run a proposal to the city?

That's how the world works.

Some people are filthy rich. Some aren't.

Old
02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Soundwave

I think we should also wait to see what the new CBA looks like. For all we know it could include a provision to shave one contract per team off the books or something or maybe the implementation of a luxury tax.

It sounds terrible, but honestly too, he's already developing chronic shoulder issues, it's possible he retires in a few years if he reinjures the shoulder again next year.

10-years worth of cap penalty is just not worth it. In 2-3 years, maybe.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Giant Moo

I can't believe how some people are so easily contented these days.

That whole "interview" was a thick layer of PR smoke that revealed absolutely zero new information. The questions were so stilted it was ridiculous.

He makes appearances as often as Haley's Comet, so I was hoping he was going to toss us a frickin' bone already.

Would love to see some sort of honesty come out of this organization's mouthpieces, but besides Rod, I'm not sure anyone's capable.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Yanner39

I admire the fact that he actual did an interview about the state of the team. I mean, he's the Owner, what is he going to say. Tambellini probably had carte blanche last season. Oh, yeah, IMO, he didn't have to address the fans.

I've seen a number of posters ask "What was he supposed to say?" and, as usually, those who are *****ing and complaining can't come up with an answer - typical HF Boards crap.

Katz is the owner and I am glad he is. Best thing that has happened to this team, and I liked the EIG. Just like Melnyk in Ottawa. You want a strong owner.

For me, all this now is on Tambellini. He finally has a GM gig, he needs to show the fans what he can do. I was seriously unimpressed with his last off-season, so he's behind the eight ball with me.

Let me address the rebuild and the comparison to the Hawks. First of all, Lowe and MacT once said they wanted to model the franchise to the Red Wings. hum, yeah, that didn't happen. As far as comparing then to the Hawks, the Oilers are alot further ahead than the Hawks were.

Let's not kid ourselves, the Oilers have some very good players/prospects. They just need to keep building. I think they can turn this in one season. Tambellini just needs to be smart and not chase Heatley v.2 this offseason.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I, as a season ticket holder, appreciated the apology. The guy's built a billion dollar empire. He knows how to fix problems and he will.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I can't believe how some people are so easily contented these days.

That whole "interview" was a thick layer of PR smoke that revealed absolutely zero new information. The questions were so stilted it was ridiculous.

He makes appearances as often as Haley's Comet, so I was hoping he was going to toss us a frickin' bone already.

Would love to see some sort of honesty come out of this organization's mouthpieces, but besides Rod, I'm not sure anyone's capable.
Well, you could be right, but I guess we'll see now won't we? I also don't see how anyone appears to be "so easily content". Far from it. It's just nice to hear the man speak, period.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Soundwave

I think some of the "we suck" stuff is getting to hyperbole too.

This year is a perfect storm of bad breaks. If Hemsky and Khabby didn't get hurt for the season and we didn't get hit by the mother of all flu bugs, we're not a playoff team, but we're probably comparable to a team like Florida.

The hockey gods simply want us to rebuild. I jokingly said earlier in the year that the Flames having so many Edmonton-born players was creating an unbalance in the universe and the hockey gods wanted us to have Calgary-born Taylor Hall, lol.

Sometimes it just feels like this is destined to happen.

People need to chill out a little bit. This team isn't great, but it isn't nearly as bad as it looks right now either.

As for the the arena, I think Katz has pitched a reasonable starting point. Of course their initial plan is going to look most favorable to the Katz Group ... you don't start bargaining by low balling yourself right out of the gate. Eventually they'll work themselves to a reasonable compromise. I think a lot of the basics are in place though ... like the Katz Group working to guarantee a certain level of private investment rather than building an arena and hoping other stuff comes later on.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
Let's not kid ourselves, the Oilers have some very good players/prospects. They just need to keep building. I think they can turn this in one season. Tambellini just needs to be smart and not chase Heatley v.2 this offseason.
What do you consider a "turnaround"?

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Well, you could be right, but I guess we'll see now won't we? I also don't see how anyone appears to be "so easily content". Far from it. It's just nice to hear the man speak, period.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote