HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need some help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
  #1
DA 17
Registered User
 
DA 17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Need some help

First off im sorry i know there are a bunch of these threads just need specific help.

I'm 17 and i played ice hockey when i was 9 to 12 and then got injured and just played other sports until now. My friends ridiculous at hockey and i'm trying to go play roller hockey with him on weekends and not look awful , but i can barely skate, so far the only thing i do is shoot a ball around the drive way 3 days a week.

So any advice anybody can give me on what i should do to get back in the game is much appreciated.

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
  #2
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
If I were you I would take any opportunity to skate for transportation if you're going somewhere close. Even make up a reason--go get a Slurpee or something. As you know, when playing hockey, skating shouldn't be something you are thinking about, it shouldn't be a distraction. The only way to get better at skating is by actually doing it! Once you get more comfortable on skates you can focus on trying to handle the puck while skating. Still practice shooting like you are though, I think that's a good idea.

I gotta group of guys I play roller hockey with every weekend and you wouldn't believe how much some of them have improved over just a few months. The best way to get better is by playing with people who are above your level. Ask them for tips and watch what they do. You will improve fast. just hang in there it can be frustrating at first.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
  #3
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Since you played for a while before, you probably are familiar with the basics. The smartest avenue is to go to public skate and begin doing that 1-2 days a week for a couple months. Then on days you aren't skating, work on puck handling and shooting or do leg work outs, jog, exercise bike etc. Also, start out by buying a low to mid-end pair of skates to start out.

When you skate, focus on your edges and getting a proper knee bend. Hockey is so hard because it uses so many diff muscle and ligament groups, including the lower back, upper legs, knees, shoulders, elbows, ankles, etc. You'll find natural weaknesses that you'll have to address as you go, e.g. mine were my ankles and lower back, so I did balance exercises and crunches. Patience is key because it will take a long time to become a good player again, 18-24 months is a reasonable time-table. Break it up into 2 or 3 week increments and make ambitious yet reasonable goals for yourself in that time span.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
  #4
DJ Kariyaaa
Downie Fan Club
 
DJ Kariyaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
the good thing about your situation is that these people are your friends. no matter what it will be a good time. the actual hockey part is probably only half of the experience anyway. so if you suck, who cares? you will laugh it off later.

to be honest though, i can't see you being a too bad of a player if you played when you were younger

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
  #5
DA 17
Registered User
 
DA 17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
thanks for all the advice so far , i have all my stick handling down that was like riding a bike, the skating the main problem, last year i bought tour 590 cobalt skates, they feel awkward, like my ankle and heel are not supported, anyone have a good skate i should look into

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
  #6
DJ Kariyaaa
Downie Fan Club
 
DJ Kariyaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
it's all about preference. i'd definately recommend going to a hockey-oriented store for skates, and not a general sports store (dick's sporting goods, for example). hockey stores generally focus more on high quality stuff.

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:33 AM
  #7
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Check out my website, I am posting hockey tips all the time. As for skating it comes with a lot of practice, it may be tough to get the proper technique down. Your muscles need to perform a task about 10 000 times before it becomes automatic.

For skating try to remember to bend your knees, lean forward, and skate with your blades at a 45 degree angle (don't run on the ice) with your feet at 45 degree angle you can dig the blades into the ice and get power. Extend your legs fully, and push off with each stride.

when you get better you should be able to get to full speed with 3 strides.

Once you are comfortable skating Practice skating on one foot, stopping on one foot, turning with one foot, crossovers, jumping, tight turns and so on. By becoming comfortable with these types of movements it will build your confidence in other areas and make regular skating seem like a breeze.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
  #8
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA 17 View Post
First off im sorry i know there are a bunch of these threads just need specific help.

I'm 17 and i played ice hockey when i was 9 to 12 and then got injured and just played other sports until now. My friends ridiculous at hockey and i'm trying to go play roller hockey with him on weekends and not look awful , but i can barely skate, so far the only thing i do is shoot a ball around the drive way 3 days a week.

So any advice anybody can give me on what i should do to get back in the game is much appreciated.
Well it's like Budster said....Go skate! Beside, dude, you are 17 for god sake. Trust me when I tell you there are a lot...not a little, a LOT of HOT chics at the rink during public session. If you want to work on your skating and get hooked up at the same time, public session skating is where you need to go to work on your skating!

Head coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
  #9
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well it's like Budster said....Go skate! Beside, dude, you are 17 for god sake. Trust me when I tell you there are a lot...not a little, a LOT of HOT chics at the rink during public session. If you want to work on your skating and get hooked up at the same time, public session skating is where you need to go to work on your skating!

Head coach
bahaha, find one that knows how to skate well, then ask her for some pointers. Scwing, your in!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
  #10
Socastee09
 
Socastee09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
If I were you I would take any opportunity to skate for transportation if you're going somewhere close. Even make up a reason--go get a Slurpee or something. As you know, when playing hockey, skating shouldn't be something you are thinking about, it shouldn't be a distraction. The only way to get better at skating is by actually doing it! Once you get more comfortable on skates you can focus on trying to handle the puck while skating. Still practice shooting like you are though, I think that's a good idea.

I gotta group of guys I play roller hockey with every weekend and you wouldn't believe how much some of them have improved over just a few months. The best way to get better is by playing with people who are above your level. Ask them for tips and watch what they do. You will improve fast. just hang in there it can be frustrating at first.
exactly, a few months ago i knew i would be getting to play for my high school (roller) and i skate often but this past year i kinda gave it up till it was time to start again, so i get a new pair of skates every year, but this year i was skating every-night around the neighborhood, took them to school and skated during weight lifting, and even around the school lol with some permission first. but now when i go to practice its a little easier to skate now that i did that for 3 months. so just practice as much as you can going backwards slow at first, and then of course forwards but try to stop start fast, you know the basics. and you should be fine.

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
  #11
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Some good advice here, work on your skating, beat the players with your speed, it is much easier than having to try and deke them all. Work on changing direction quikly, crossovers and acceleration, just take any chance you can to go skating

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
  #12
DA 17
Registered User
 
DA 17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Thanks for the advice everyone

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.