HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers/Blue Jackets talking trade (Gilbert?)

Old
02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I think people here are over valuing Gilbert or undervaluing CBJ players.

The player we need to get is Voracek. He's big and skilled and would fit on the 2nd line nicely.

I was thinking something like this.

Gilbert and Cogliano for Voracek and Methot.

This gives them a top 4 puckmover and a potential top 6 forward to replace Voracek. The Oil get a stay at home guy to take some minutes and a bigger top 6 forward to help deal with the smurfitis that has hit the oilers forward core.
Howson isnt dumb enough to trade away Voracek for anything less then Gagner+ or Hemsky.
Ideally Filatov + Tyutin for Gilbert + O'Sullivan\Nilsson

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Gulvorn

Just stopping in to remind you that Howson isn't mentally handicapped and wouldn't trade away good young players like Brassard, Voracek, Mason, Filatov, Moore, or Russell. (Or Nash, NTC)

Why? Because we had to be bad for a whole decade and those players are all we got out of it, and they are cheap players for the moment with good skill and high potential. Plus Howson specifically said he wasn't going to trade away young talent.

Real players that could be up for trade would be Modin, Torres, Huselius (because he's overpaid, so please take him), and Jurcina. Specifically Howson has been looking to see what he could get for Modin and Torres around the league. Jurcina might be trade bait come the deadline if we aren't playing well since he is UFA after this year. And Huselius should always be on the trading block since he's so overpaid and we have a lot of wingers as it is that could easily fill the top 6 spot.

Those are who have been on the trading block for awhile and those are probably the only players that are looking to be traded before the trade deadline.

But Howson said in an interview last Thursday that the Jackets were going to wait to make trades until after this 5 game home stand to see if they have a shot at the playoffs by time the Olympic break comes around. They have won 3 of the 3 so far and have 2 more left against Vancouver and Chicago. If they can win both of those or maybe just one of them then there likely won't be any trades until the deadline or maybe not even until the offseason.

Just giving you the inside scoop. In summary unless you guys want some of the crappy players/overpaid players that we don't want then we probably aren't going to be trading.

Last edited by Gulvorn: 02-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
is this like the only team the Oilers can trade with? maybe LA? come on

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Just stopping in to remind you that Howson isn't mentally handicapped and wouldn't trade away good young players like Brassard, Voracek, Mason, Filatov, Moore, or Russell. (Or Nash, NTC)

Why? Because we had to be bad for a whole decade and those players are all we got out of it, and they are cheap players for the moment with good skill and high potential. Plus Howson specifically said he wasn't going to trade away young talent.

Real players that could be up for trade would be Modin, Torres, Huselius (because he's overpaid, so please take him), and Jurcina.

Those are who have been on the trading block for awhile and those are probably the only players that are looking to be traded before the trade deadline.

But Howson said in an interview last Thursday that the Jackets were going to wait to make trades until after this 5 game home stand to see if they have a shot at the playoffs by time the Olympic break comes around. They have won 3 of the 3 so far and have 2 more left against Vancouver and Chicago. If they can win both of those or maybe just one of them then there likely won't be any trades until the deadline or maybe not even until the offseason.

Just giving you the inside scoop.
I'd take Torres back for the right price.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Howson isnt dumb enough to trade away Voracek for anything less then Gagner+ or Hemsky.
I'd trade Hemsky for Vorachek. He fits better into our rebuild, needs and Hemsky would fit better for COL as a playmaker for Nash.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Just stopping in to remind you that Howson isn't mentally handicapped
He might be..... He did work for the Edmonton Oilers..........

Quote:

Howson said in an interview last Thursday that the Jackets were going to wait to make trades until after this 5 game home stand to see if they have a shot at the playoffs by time the Olympic break comes around.

They have won 3 of the 3 so far and have 2 more left against Vancouver and Chicago. If they can win both of those or maybe just one of them then there likely won't be any trades until the deadline or maybe not even until the offseason.
If the night before the trade deadline Columbus is on a five game winning streak & is close to a playoff spot, I can definitely see Howsen trading for Gilbert without giving up a roster player.

That is why a Gilbert for Filatov deal is not that far fetched.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Gulvorn

You have to think of it this way. Both of these teams are likely sellers and neither are going to be buying. So unless they just want to trade around upcoming UFAs then I don't think a trade is likely unless you guys want Torres and plan to resign him and you're willing to offer something equal to Torres.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post

I'd take Torres back for the right price.
Did someone slip some cocaine in your coffee when your back was turned...........

Old
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
He might be..... He did work for the Edmonton Oilers..........

If the night before the trade deadline Columbus is on a five game winning streak & is close to a playoff spot, I can definitely see Howsen trading for Gilbert without giving up a roster player.

That is why a Gilbert for Filatov deal is not that far fetched.....
But I think that Howson doesn't want to trade Filatov considering we how we had to go through a really bad season just to get him and I don't think that Gilbert is enough for that personally. No offense but I don't think the Jackets should be trading with the Oilers just because a lot of the players on the Oilers seem to have injury problems.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Soundwave

I'd be willing to do

Filatov + Commodore

for

Cogliano + Gilbert

That's two roster players who can contribute right away and are young enough to work into their long term plans.

Though those injury issues for Commodore are a big risk. He'd be a big step in changing the culture of the locker room though IMO.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Did someone slip some cocaine in your coffee when your back was turned...........
I think it's believed that Torres is looking for 2.5M-3.something million but the Jackets don't really have room to resign him or something, especially since they fired Hitchcock and have something like 1.3M floating around that they can't do anything with. Torres is on track for a 25 goal season though. That's better than just about all the Oilers except what, Hemsky?

Old
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
But I think that Howson doesn't want to trade Filatov considering we how we had to go through a really bad season just to get him and I don't think that Gilbert is enough for that personally. No offense but I don't think the Jackets should be trading with the Oilers just because a lot of the players on the Oilers seem to have injury problems.

you seemed to forgot that Gilbert is a rh d man the one that colmbus is looking for and he hasnt been injured

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
lol at Columbus trading Filatov or Voracek or Brassard. Those are there 3 best young building blocks around Nash.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
I think Tyutin for Gilbert straight up would favor the Oilers... No way you are getting Filatov for Nilsson or POS straight up.

However, if the Oil could do Gilbert for Tyutin I would personally consider it a great move.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
TigerWoo

I wish you could trade money.

$0.00000001 for Miss Butter. Waste of space.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
you seemed to forgot that Gilbert is a rh d man the one that colmbus is looking for and he hasnt been injured
Perhaps but it also depends on what Howson's plans are with John Moore and how long until he gets into the mix. At this point the Jackets have Hejda, Commodore, Russell, Strahlman, Klesla, Tyutin, and Jurcina who are all good enough defenders. We also have Methot and Roy who can play as the 7th defender. So I think that leaves Jurcina out either through trade or UFA.

I don't thinkt he RH D man is as big of an issue anymore now that our power play is in the top 6 with Strahlman being so effective at the point. I think was the Jackets need in reality at this point is better play in their own end, more timely goaltending, and better 5 on 5 play. But I think all that is stuff that will develop as our younger players become more consistent.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
reginaoil

How about a trade like this:

Vorachek

Hemsky

COL gets a playmaker for Nash,Oilers get a bigger younger forward that fits in with our rebuild better than Hemsky who's contract will expire about the time the young guys are ready.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

I think it's believed that Torres is looking for 2.5M-3.something million but the Jackets don't really have room to resign him or something, especially since they fired Hitchcock and have something like 1.3M floating around that they can't do anything with.

Torres is on track for a 25 goal season though. That's better than just about all the Oilers except what, Hemsky?
According to: http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CLB&season=0910

Columbus has $9 million in cap space available this season; they have $13 million in cap space to sign 5 players next season...

And Torres is a 3rd line player who does not kill penalties.... We had him once - most here were very happy he moved on.....

Old
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:

Columbus has $9 million in cap space available this season; they have $13 million in cap space to sign 5 players next season...

And Torres is a 3rd line player who does not kill penalties.... We had him once - most here were very happy he moved on.....
Cap space and functional budget are not the same in Columbus though. They don't play to the cap.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:32 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
lol at Columbus trading Filatov or Voracek or Brassard. Those are there 3 best young building blocks around Nash.
Cause Cogliano and Gilbert aren't young building blocks. It makes no since for the OIler's to give them up unless there getting other young building blocks in return IMO.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Cause Cogliano and Gilbert aren't young building blocks. It makes no since for the OIler's to give them up unless there getting other young building block in return IMO.
lol...

If Cogliano and Gilbert our young building blocks for us, it's no wonder we're the worst team in the league...the future is bleak if you honestly believe that.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:

The Jackets owner is only willing to spend about up to 50M so what the cap actually is isn't the point.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post

Cap space and functional budget are not the same in Columbus though. They don't play to the cap.
We play to the cap.... And we're in last place....

Columbus should try that strategy - it leads to lots of interesting discussions....

Old
02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
We play to the cap.... And we're in last place....

Columbus should try that strategy - it leads to lots of interesting discussions....
Haha. No I believe our strategy is to hope that our young players all break out at the same time next season and then once we can actually solidly get into the playoffs then maybe management can afford to start paying a bit more money. Or if the organization can ever get out from under the Nationwide arena loan to get back into the black.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
lol...

If Cogliano and Gilbert our young building blocks for us, it's no wonder we're the worst team in the league...the future is bleak if you honestly believe that.
No were the worst team in the league because our whole roster is full of rookies, and our #1 goaltender and our best forward are out for 3/4's of the season.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote