HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade 2nd rounder (2011) for Dominic Moore

View Poll Results: What's your take on the trade?
Happy with it 37 21.26%
Lateral move 22 12.64%
Gave too much for a pending UFA 4th liner 99 56.90%
Very angry with the move! Fire Gauthier! 16 9.20%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I hope that Moore will become a pleasant surprise for us as Begin and Metropolit were.
I want more, not Moore.

This guy has changed team 6-7 times. If he's good or has certain potential, then the other teams have already retained his service..... I know that even Gretzky was traded.
we got Begin on Waivers

we got Metropolit on Waivers...

have they been good for us? YES

but we got them for the RIGHT PRICE..

would you trade a second round pick for Begin or Metro? NO

then why do it for Moore?

Old
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Bob in Niagara

This deal makes no sense unless we consider that the Habs will not be signing David Fischer...do we not get a compensatory 2nd round pick if he let him go? I believe we do in 2011...so in essence...if that is what the "plan" is...then it's not as painful as I thought...however...I would have hung onto the pick myself...unless there is something else going on that none of us are aware of...

Old
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I find it hilarious that people posting on HF boards know NHL player value...

Tell me something, what is Domenic Moore's value??? We seem to have alot of aspiring NHL GM's on this board, lets hear what his actual value is??? a 7th round pick in 2028 maybe???
I can ask you, why do you believe that a 2nd isnt much to pay for him??

IMO, he is a 29 yrd old UFA who was signed during the season, was not that much of a contributor with the panthers, and is absolutely not the "ideal" type of player the habs need right now. If we were on the cusp of home ice advantage, i would say, that it was a steep price, but i understand cause he will have a role for the playoffs...but i dont see him as much of an upgrade of metro.

If we trade metro for a 2nd rounder, would you not think it was a steal for us?

Old
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I like Moore, and think he'll be an ideal third line center for us. He passes Metropolit and Lapierre in the depth chart immediately, if only because he brings us a much-needed face-off man.

That said, with the year he's having, a second round pick seems like an awful lot (even a 2011 pick). Don't forget he was moved for a 2nd round pick last year as well, so that was his value, but last year he was putting up career numbers.

On the bright side, it establishes us as aiming to make the playoffs / win, which I thing is the right move over being sellers. It also shores up our line-up at forward, even without another move.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
S. Kostitsyn - Moore - Darche
Lapierre - Metropolit - Moen

Looks pretty solid to me. Could be that one of Lapierre or Metro, along with Spacek and a prospect or pick, are sent for a younger / more affordable option on D. Lets Bergeron get back in at forward (is that a good thing?).

Old
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
moore will help how???
By being much better than Ben Maxwell, thus, making the team better. There's a whole lot of people here that are seriously underestimating how valuable a player like Moore can be.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I can ask you, why do you believe that a 2nd isnt much to pay for him??
IMO, he is a 29 yrd old UFA who was signed during the season, was not that much of a contributor with the panthers, and is absolutely not the "ideal" type of player the habs need right now. If we were on the cusp of home ice advantage, i would say, that it was a steep price, but i understand cause he will have a role for the playoffs...but i dont see him as much of an upgrade of metro.

If we trade metro for a 2nd rounder, would you not think it was a steal for us?
It might end up being costly...but for now, a 2nd round pick in 2011 is not going to dress for the Habs tonight in Philly. But Domenic Moore IS. Again, there's alot of time between today and June 2011 to try to recoup that pick.

I'm just willing to see how Moore fits into our team...that's all.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
By being much better than Ben Maxwell, thus, making the team better. There's a whole lot of people here that are seriously underestimating how valuable a player like Moore can be.
giving up a second rounder to get LANG made us better,he was our top centermen.

seriously under estimating Moore?*i can imagine this was Randy Sexton's words on the phone yesterday.

sure , Metro and Begin are just as useful! they aint worth no seond rounder

Old
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I find it hilarious that people posting on HF boards know NHL player value...

Tell me something, what is Domenic Moore's value??? We seem to have alot of aspiring NHL GM's on this board, lets hear what his actual value is??? a 7th round pick in 2028 maybe???
I'd analyze his value through the history of what the team that traded for him send back.

Rangers get Hall for Moore. Then, Moore with Pivko is traded the Pens for a 3rd round pick.
Pens got a 3rd round from the Wild in 07.
Leafs picked Moore from the waivers in 08.
Leafs got a 2nd rounder from the Sabres. (Please remember that he was having the season of his life at that time).
Moore signed with the Panthers as a UFA.

So at best, a 2nd rounder when Moore was playing incredibly great. Not sure that's the case right now.

Then you can start to play the "comparable". Which other player like him was traded and for what. Would you take Paille or Moore? Paille was traded for a 4th round. Yes in 2010. Though deep, can we clearly say that a 4th round pick is better than a 2nd rounder in 2011?

Brodziak or Moore? 4th and 5th rounder in 2009. 2 picks, but still middle of the pack where even in a strong year, chances are those guys won't be NHL'ers.

Reinprecht or Moore? Reinprecht was acquired in return of the great Stefan Meyer. Career AHL'er at best. I guess a 2nd rounder in 2011 could be equivalent of a career AHL'er.....but I'd take Reinprecht over Moore any day of the week.

That's probably the best way you could analyse a player's value. Though, if drafting isn't an exact science, pretty sure analyzing a player's value isn't either.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Kenny Powders

40 pages for a Moore for a 2nd pick 2011 ...

Only in HFBOARDS ..

People are freaking out, complaining, and in 1 month (after the olympics), moore will deserve an appreciation thread ..

When i read people saying ''Bad assets management'' I want to laugh at them so hard that they can't hear anything else all their life ..

Gauthier made our bottom 6 better, not overly better, but somewat better.

what if Metro goes down or Lappy goes down? we have Moore who can take their place easily, instead of Maxwell ..

And it's not because Mckenzie said cullen cost a 2nd rounder that he will go for a 2nd rounder ... People are so clueless .. just listening to rumors and getting Ape when we trade a 2nd round pick on the weakest draft ..

Old
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Bullsmith

I'm glad to see Mr. Gauitier is continuing the recent tradition of trading away as many 2nd round picks as possible. Nothing against Moore, but this is a guy who wanted 3 mil last year and eventually signed for 1, because nobody really wanted him. Surely a 3rd would've been enough?

Old
02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
40 pages for a Moore for a 2nd pick 2011 ...

Only in HFBOARDS ..

People are freaking out, complaining, and in 1 month (after the olympics), moore will deserve an appreciation thread ..

When i read people saying ''Bad assets management'' I want to laugh at them so hard that they can't hear anything else all their life ..

Gauthier made our bottom 6 better, not overly better, but somewat better.

what if Metro goes down or Lappy goes down? we have Moore who can take their place easily, instead of Maxwell ..

And it's not because Mckenzie said cullen cost a 2nd rounder that he will go for a 2nd rounder ... People are so clueless .. just listening to rumors and getting Ape when we trade a 2nd round pick on the weakest draft ..
im reading 21% of the people are happy with the deal...

now were a small fragment of the habs fans...Now you think the numbers are any better across the city of Montreal?

the trade = fail

Old
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd analyze his value through the history of what the team that traded for him send back.

Rangers get Hall for Moore. Then, Moore with Pivko is traded the Pens for a 3rd round pick.
Pens got a 3rd round from the Wild in 07.
Leafs picked Moore from the waivers in 08.
Leafs got a 2nd rounder from the Sabres. (Please remember that he was having the season of his life at that time).
Moore signed with the Panthers as a UFA.

So at best, a 2nd rounder when Moore was playing incredibly great. Not sure that's the case right now.

Then you can start to play the "comparable". Which other player like him was traded and for what. Would you take Paille or Moore? Paille was traded for a 4th round. Yes in 2010. Though deep, can we clearly say that a 4th round pick is better than a 2nd rounder in 2011?

Brodziak or Moore? 4th and 5th rounder in 2009. 2 picks, but still middle of the pack where even in a strong year, chances are those guys won't be NHL'ers.

Reinprecht or Moore? Reinprecht was acquired in return of the great Stefan Meyer. Career AHL'er at best. I guess a 2nd rounder in 2011 could be equivalent of a career AHL'er.....but I'd take Reinprecht over Moore any day of the week.

That's probably the best way you could analyse a player's value. Though, if drafting isn't an exact science, pretty sure analyzing a player's value isn't either.
That's all great and all Whitesnake and theoretically, I don't disagree with you. I think it's important to not waste draft picks, however, I think every team has different needs at different times and the need dictates what you're ready to give up. When I see the habs ice a lineup with 5 NHL players who don't even have 5 NHL game experience, I realize that there's a need for depth. Now if I realize this, imagine another GM who gets a call from Pierre Gauthier?????

We may end up regretting the day we ever acquired Moore, but we're just as likely to not even remember it.

Do you think Wild fans are beating themselves up for trading a 3rd round pick in 2007 which turned out to be Robert Bortuzzo for Domenic Moore?

I just personally think that by the time we can tangibly evaluate this trade...none of of will care, we'll have moved on to what the latest issue is for the Habs in 2-3-4 years from now.

OVERREACTION!

Old
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post
im reading 21% of the people are happy with the deal...

now were a small fragment of the habs fans...Now you think the numbers are any better across the city of Montreal?

the trade = fail
That just means we have a large portion of our fan base that is jumping to conclusions without seeing what Moore can do to help our line up.

Don't you think we should give this sometime before coming to the conclusion that this trade = fail?

Old
02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
montreal25m

Ugly Trade

Well...we all agree it is an overpayment. No doubt. The problem I have is where does he fit??? Is Gomez better than him? YES..Pleks? YES...Metro..(I THINK SO). Just makes no sense...we don't need more frindge players on our team..we have enough of them. Another problem I have is this. We are not winning the cup this year....not probably for the next 4-5 years even..so why trade a pretty good asset for a player that will play 19 games for ya with the huge probability we don't make the playoffs even. Anyway..it is what it is...but as a first trade by PG...BRUTAL. I guess he wanted to get his feet wet early...i can gurantee you this..he definately didn't consult Gainy on this one lol

Old
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
we got Begin on Waivers

we got Metropolit on Waivers...

have they been good for us? YES

but we got them for the RIGHT PRICE..

would you trade a second round pick for Begin or Metro? NO

then why do it for Moore?

Simply because he's better...

Old
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That just means we have a large portion of our fan base that is jumping to conclusions without seeing what Moore can do to help our line up.

Don't you think we should give this sometime before coming to the conclusion that this trade = fail?
i dont care .

i dont care if he resigned for 2 more years in Montreal

it aint EVER OR NEVER WILL BE worth a 2nd rounder for 19 games of his services.

loook around the NHL , there 100's of other guys id give up a 2nd rounder for .

Moore isnt even close.

Glen Metro is a great player for us ,yet you'd never dream of giving a 2nd rounder to get him .

as i said before, its not Moore i have the problem with ...

Old
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
i dont care .

i dont care if he resigned for 2 more years in Montreal

it aint EVER OR NEVER WILL BE worth a 2nd rounder for 19 games of his services.

loook around the NHL , there 100's of other guys id give up a 2nd rounder for .

Moore isnt even close.

Glen Metro is a great player for us ,yet you'd never dream of giving a 2nd rounder to get him .

as i said before, its not Moore i have the problem with ...
I agree it's an overpayment, but he fills a big need...CHECKING LINE CENTER. Lapierre and Metro have not and will not fill that role. Lapierre has had an aful year and is probably more effective on the wing, Metro is small and not very good defensively. Moore is a guy we can put with Moen and Darche/Lapierre and play head to head with #1 centers, kill penalities and take big faceoffs. We need that to take pressure off Plekanec as he is playing too much.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Just about to hit 1000 posts. Continue here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=737986

Closed Thread