HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who here can better the city?

Old
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
TigerWoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
umm ok.

I'd say everyone who lives in Edmonton can actually do something to improve the city.

What are you getting at?

If the city of Edmonton forked me over even a paltry 10 million dollars I can assure you I would easily start a business and, therefore, magically improve the city as well.
Who, right now now (Because I know who can), can make a bid like this and improve the city?

Who, that lives here and has that much money, wants to?

Gimme that answer....

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Visionaries are never appreciated by their contemporaties. Show me somebody against this vision of a revitalized downtown and I'll show you somebody who has no idea of how cities go from good to great.

Do people realize that all those downtown blocks of bums, drug addicts, prostitutes and crime will get removed by this?

Oh yeah, maybe putting the police HQ right down..........NM.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
Who, right now now (Because I know who can), can make a bid like this and improve the city?

Who, that lives here and has that much money, wants to?

Gimme that answer....
So the point of this entire thread is to get an answer that you already know.

Cool.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Visionaries are never appreciated by their contemporaties. Show me somebody against this vision of a revitalized downtown and I'll show you somebody who has no idea of how cities go from good to great.

Do people realize that all those downtown blocks of bums, drug addicts, prostitutes and crime will get removed by this?

They don't

Stollery was a huge god send.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:12 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
So the point of this entire thread is to get an answer that you already know.

Cool.
Why are you posting if that was your response?

Old
the tikk

Quote:

Holy motherloving crap. Where on earth do you think they'll go instead? To rehab and then university? WAKE UP EDMONTON! These problems need to be solved, not relocated!

the tikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jfhlbuffy

I'm sick and tired of people who want Edmonton to be a better city. How about we all just sit back and let the place continue to be a laughing stock? I don't want nice streets, an entertainment district, or respectability. Katz should be publicly hung for wanting to improve the city he supposedly "loves."

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Jesus

Quote:

So all the bums, drug addicts, prostitutes and crime will all just magicallydisappear. Vanish into thin air?

Old
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post
I'm sick and tired of people who want Edmonton to be a better city. How about we all just sit back and let the place continue to be a laughing stock? I don't want nice streets, an entertainment district, or respectability. Katz should be publicly hung for wanting to improve the city he supposedly "loves."
I know!

Kick these bums with MILLION and BILLIONS of dollars out of town!

Old
02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Why are you posting if that was your response?
Well I was trying to ascertain the purpose of this thread.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Well I was trying to ascertain the purpose of this thread.
If the answer is here, why do supporters have opposition here?

Old
Jooked

"Northlands is Edmonton!"

pretty much sums up the state of the city.

Jooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tikk View Post
Holy motherloving crap. Where on earth do you think they'll go instead? To rehab and then university? WAKE UP EDMONTON! These problems need to be solved, not relocated!
BIG FACEPALM

Old
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Jesus

Quote:
If the answer is here, why do supporters have opposition here?
If the answer is only Katz I think not think there will be any opposition.

If the answer is Katz + millions of dollars from taxpayers for the primary benefit of Katz well that is not the same thing as the first statement now is it?

Old
02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
So all the bums, drug addicts, prostitutes and crime will all just magicallydisappear. Vanish into thin air?
No, but having a downtown core with upscale businesses, residents and family focus, like this proposal will mean that they will not be tolerated there.

Of course they will go somewhere else in the city, but it's certainly a good start at cleaning things up.

Also, do people not think that places like the Bissel centre, Hope mission etc. will not benefit from having wealthy neighbors?

Right now some of what should be the most valuable property in the city is a dumping ground for drugs, hookers and crime. Putting in a city used and upgraded arena district that brings in dollars, increases the tax base and makes the downtown family friendly cannot hurt in helping to solve some part of these isssues.

What would you propose, that we leave it like it is so we know where they all are? Certainly you can see how this kind of development will generate extra tax dollars, leading to better civic programs and policing? Perhaps you cannot. That would not be surpising given how most people think this is just a "how Katz gets richer conspiracy."

Take off the tinfoil hats people.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
If the answer is only Katz I think not think there will be any opposition.

If the answer is Katz + millions of dollars from taxpayers for the primary benefit of Katz well that is not the same thing as the first statement now is it?
Who in this city has the money to even bring this up and even have money to ask for? You still haven't answered.
God, this city is SO BACKWARDS

REALIZE that some people are BIGGER and VISIONARIES compared to others.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
No, but having a downtown core with upscale businesses, residents and family focus, like this proposal will mean that they will not be tolerated there.

Of course they will go somewhere else in the city, but it's certainly a good start at cleaning things up.

Also, do people not think that places like the Bissel centre, Hope mission etc. will not benefit from having wealthy neighbors?

Right now some of what should be the most valuable property in the city is a dumping ground for drugs, hookers and crime. Putting in a city used and upgraded arena district that brings in dollars, increases the tax base and makes the downtown family friendly cannot hurt in helping to solve some part of these isssues.

What would you propose, that we leave it like it is so we know where they all are? Certainly you can see how this kind of development will generate extra tax dollars, leading to better civic programs and policing? Perhaps you cannot. That would not be surpising given how most people think this is just a "how Katz gets richer conspiracy."

But we need to help the crackheads and prostitutes!

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
TigerWoo

It is so frustrating that people can't let another take the lead.

Katz will lead.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Jesus

Quote:

You admit outright that the root problem is not solved at all and it is just moved elsewhere. Let someone else/another part of Edmonton (perhaps your neighborhood) deal with the problems. Talk about being shortsighted...

fwiw, I am in no way against building a downtown arena with tax payer help but some of the arguments for the arena are insane.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:29 PM
TigerWoo

I'M WAITING FOR SOMEBODY TO SHOW ME ANOTHER GUY WHO WILL LIVE HERE, SUPPORT THE TEAM, ALREADY BUILT A 20+ MILLION DOLLAR HOUSE, AND WANT TO LIVE HERE....

waiting......

Old
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
But we need to help the crackheads and prostitutes!
I appreciate your sarcasm. Truly I do. (no sarcasm)

Ralph had it right. Give them all a bus pass to Vancouver where these people are celebrated.

Isn't it funny how the advocates of the down and out are ardently against some of the great things that can lead to the things that may help them? I guess building a free needle clinic downtown would be better for these people than building a great community that generates tax dollars to help them and the programs that may get them a boost in life.

Being an advocate for societies down and out is not diametrically opposed to supporting big business. In fact it's quite the opposite. For those who don't get it, look up all the top 500 businesses and then find out the programs they do in the communities they operate in. For the most part, they do more than most government bodies do in that given area.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

good idea, but public dollars shouldn't be used to fund it. I mean, seriously, it pisses people off to no end to use taxes for this kind of thing. If it's such a great idea/vision and there's already 1 billion dollars lined up from investors, I'm sure Katz can squeeze 400 million more dollars from them.

Great idea, not disagreeing with it at all, but absolutely no way to public funding for this, not one penny.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
the tikk

Quote:

Oh sure. If Katz builds this huge hockey mall, then there will be programs for the poor. Downtown will have high property values and no crackheads! Just like...Vancouver...?

The gullibility is absolutely astonishing.

Not to mention, the absolute uncaring inhumanity of some among you is deeply disturbing.

It's attitudes like yours that have kept E-town in the sh*tter and will keep it there. Wake up and take care of your neighbours.

the tikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
good idea, but public dollars shouldn't be used to fund it. I mean, seriously, it pisses people off to no end to use taxes for this kind of thing. If it's such a great idea/vision and there's already 1 billion dollars lined up from investors, I'm sure Katz can squeeze 400 million more dollars from them.

Great idea, not disagreeing with it at all, but absolutely no way to public funding for this, not one penny.
That's not the point though. I hate this backward thinking'
I want this city to move forward.

The greatest investor said, Why spend your money if you can borrow it"

If these guys/gals worked their tails off, got rich, why not give them some breaks?

Anyone of us can be an entrepreneur. Why do people hate on them?

Old
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
TigerWoo

It's a philosophical disagreement basically.