HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thankful the Wild got Latendresse

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
  #1
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 500
Thankful the Wild got Latendresse

He has done it all since coming to the Wild - he plays hard, hits, and crashes the net. The goals have been well-deserved, and he generates a lot of chances for himself and his line mates. All this, and he's only 22! I like Ben Pouliot, but this guy has been better in just about every aspect of the game.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
  #2
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,794
vCash: 500
Agreed. *braces for the pending onslaught of Hab fans...

You'd really have to wonder where this team would be without him.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
  #3
Lifer
 
Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
On top of all the things he has done for the team, he has also given us another sweet hockey name to cheer for.

Look at this list of sweet hockey names that the Wild have:

Cal Clutterbuck
Guillaume Latendresse
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Clayton Stoner


Four names on one team isn't too bad.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
  #4
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,769
vCash: 500
Habs fans shouldn't be pissed at all. Benny is playing out of his mind as well for that team, even moreso now with players getting hurt for them. This was a fantastic move by both clubs.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
  #5
Lifer
 
Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Habs fans shouldn't be pissed at all. Benny is playing out of his mind as well for that team, even moreso now with players getting hurt for them. This was a fantastic move by both clubs.
Except Pouliot got hurt again and is expected to be out until at least March. Lucky they got the Olympic break in there. It will be interesting to see how he does coming back from injury.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
  #6
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!
 
TheTenderness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
On top of all the things he has done for the team, he has also given us another sweet hockey name to cheer for.

Look at this list of sweet hockey names that the Wild have:

Cal Clutterbuck
Guillaume Latendresse
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Clayton Stoner


Four names on one team isn't too bad.
I always thought Owen Nolan was an awesome name as well. Brent Burns too.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
  #7
Lifer
 
Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTenderness View Post
I always thought Owen Nolan was an awesome name as well. Brent Burns too.
I was going to put Burns on there but his name could work in some other sport. You won't hear the names I listed in any other sport but hockey, except maybe Stoner...

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  #8
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,556
vCash: 500
Derek Boogaard is a pretty sweet name as well

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
  #9
davenash
Registered User
 
davenash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rimouski, PQ
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
Lats doing great with Minny, Pouliot is doing great with Montréal, everybody is happy.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
  #10
aylib
User and abuser
 
aylib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stale ol' Hockey
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
I was going to put Burns on there but his name could work in some other sport. You won't hear the names I listed in any other sport but hockey, except maybe Stoner...
I'd think that soccer has every name imaginable.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
  #11
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenash View Post
Lats doing great with Minny, Pouliot is doing great with Montréal, everybody is happy.
That's the way it should be dammit

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
  #12
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 500
First Wild to 20 goals this season. He has a nose for the net!!

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
  #13
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,794
vCash: 500
I less than three Latendresse.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:52 PM
  #14
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,307
vCash: 500
I really gotta give it to you guys, you've made this guy into a pretty damned good player.

When he was here in Montreal, I couldn't stand even hearing his name! He was so pumped and over-hyped around here that it was at times almost unbearable (especially if you're a non-Habs fan like myself )! He was nothing more than a big, slow goof with average skating ability and decent hands, yet he was constantly piped as being the second coming of Guy Lafleur or something.

Needless to say though, his move to Minnesota may have made a believer out of me. The kid actually has a pretty damn good skill set. I don't know if it's due to no longer having the weight of the world on his back, or if it's playing in a different system, or if it's because he's better suited towards the brand of hockey in the WC. What I do know is that he's finally playing up to his potential, and Wild fans are reaping the benefits of it. Well done

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
  #15
thespins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Its great to see Gi doing well, I liked him when he was with Montreal. That being said, Benny is quickly becoming one of my favourite Habs We should trade together more often!

thespins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
  #16
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Latendresse has been just a phenomenal player since coming over from the Habs. He and Havlat are able to find each other so well on the ice and he can seem to finish all different ways, digging for those hard goals, ripping a nice slapshot to the top corner, he's been doing it all for us.

This seems to be a win-win trade.

If Latendresse wasn't here, I don't know who would be scoring besides Koivu and his line. Latendresse has seemed to got Havlat going too.

Glad to see Pouliot is doing well with the Habs too. He has scored some nice goals for the Habs, I usually just watch the highlights so I can't know much more about his play other than the goals he scores or assists on, but Latendresse has been all over the place creating chances even when he's not scoring.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:42 AM
  #17
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 500
This trade must have really turned these two guys 180 degrees. When I watch Latendresse, he looks nothing like a slow fat skill-less and disinterested guy that the Montreal fans described after the trade. Also, looking at a recent thread on the Habs forum "" Benoit Pouliot: The Habs newest thirty and dare I say possible 40 goal scorer!,, the descriptions of him doing the dirty work and throwing his weight around, playing with passion, even "captain material," sounds entirely unlike our Benoit who showed flashes of great skill amidst rather long stretches of passionless, non-physical perimeter play.

Being given a real chance and playing with confidence seems to have been the key for both guys. Great great trade.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:30 PM
  #18
djp4516
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
This trade must have really turned these two guys 180 degrees. When I watch Latendresse, he looks nothing like a slow fat skill-less and disinterested guy that the Montreal fans described after the trade. Also, looking at a recent thread on the Habs forum "" Benoit Pouliot: The Habs newest thirty and dare I say possible 40 goal scorer!,, the descriptions of him doing the dirty work and throwing his weight around, playing with passion, even "captain material," sounds entirely unlike our Benoit who showed flashes of great skill amidst rather long stretches of passionless, non-physical perimeter play.

Being given a real chance and playing with confidence seems to have been the key for both guys. Great great trade.
Great post. I read that thread earlier in the week. One guy said he could score 50 goals. I wasn't a fan of the Pouliot pick at the time, I thought there wasn't nearly enough production to warrant that selection. I was right but also wrong. I really wish for the best with Pouliot, despite the profanities directed in his direction from my living room during his time here. He never really got the true chance to display his talents, he was always stuck on the 3rd line with Lemaire, and let's face it, he's not a trap forward.

Latendresse has it. I don't know what it is, but he's been golden with the puck on his stick. Some players just have the natural ability to score goals without thinking, and he's one of them. I don't understand how he could be so bad in Montreal, I guess the pressure of being French Canadian and playing for Montreal is as bad as it sounds.

One thing I've noticed though, his short strides really bug me. He looks like he's running in place some times. If he just strided like a normal skater, he'd be way faster. He coasts a lot on the back check, but I guess you take the slightly bad with the very good.

I also don't ever recall him throwing his body the way he does here when he played for Montreal. He's a legitimate power forward. I don't think we've ever had one of those.

He and Havlat go together like peanut butter and jelly. It's refreshing to see since we lost Bouchard and Rolston.

The real question is, he's an RFA. What kind of contract do we give him? How much is he worth? He's got a crapload of goals, but his point total still isn't enough for him to warrant a "big" contract. Can Fletcher lock him up to a Burns/Koivu type contract?

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
  #19
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Great post. I read that thread earlier in the week. One guy said he could score 50 goals. I wasn't a fan of the Pouliot pick at the time, I thought there wasn't nearly enough production to warrant that selection. I was right but also wrong. I really wish for the best with Pouliot, despite the profanities directed in his direction from my living room during his time here. He never really got the true chance to display his talents, he was always stuck on the 3rd line with Lemaire, and let's face it, he's not a trap forward.

Latendresse has it. I don't know what it is, but he's been golden with the puck on his stick. Some players just have the natural ability to score goals without thinking, and he's one of them. I don't understand how he could be so bad in Montreal, I guess the pressure of being French Canadian and playing for Montreal is as bad as it sounds.

One thing I've noticed though, his short strides really bug me. He looks like he's running in place some times. If he just strided like a normal skater, he'd be way faster. He coasts a lot on the back check, but I guess you take the slightly bad with the very good.

I also don't ever recall him throwing his body the way he does here when he played for Montreal. He's a legitimate power forward. I don't think we've ever had one of those.

He and Havlat go together like peanut butter and jelly. It's refreshing to see since we lost Bouchard and Rolston.

The real question is, he's an RFA. What kind of contract do we give him? How much is he worth? He's got a crapload of goals, but his point total still isn't enough for him to warrant a "big" contract. Can Fletcher lock him up to a Burns/Koivu type contract?
Latendresse since coming over from Montreal has 21 goals and 9 assists for 30 points in 39 games. I don't think he'll get a "big" contract, but I think he might be making 2-3 mil next year just as a rough estimate, hopefully we can get him under contract for about 2-3 years.

I agree with that he just seems to have that knack for scoring goals, he just seems to know how to do it. This last Calgary game he just looked awesome the whole game. I think he had about 2-3 high quality chances to score before he finally got that one from Havlat. His second goal was just a laser. I can't wait to see what this will translate for a whole season for us. I'm sure he will scored 30 goals next year or so if he continues this play.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
  #20
djp4516
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Latendresse since coming over from Montreal has 21 goals and 9 assists for 30 points in 39 games. I don't think he'll get a "big" contract, but I think he might be making 2-3 mil next year just as a rough estimate, hopefully we can get him under contract for about 2-3 years.

I agree with that he just seems to have that knack for scoring goals, he just seems to know how to do it. This last Calgary game he just looked awesome the whole game. I think he had about 2-3 high quality chances to score before he finally got that one from Havlat. His second goal was just a laser. I can't wait to see what this will translate for a whole season for us. I'm sure he will scored 30 goals next year or so if he continues this play.
I was slightly concerned with Latendresse just being super lucky and receiving on his tape in the slot passes from Havlat, but I think he's gotten past that point with me now. He's consistently generating scoring chances and burying a good percentage of them.

I am also happy that he has made Havlat a much better player as well. I was a bit concerned that we didn't have enough talent to maximize his potential, but I am pleased with his play now. He looks a lot more comfortable than he did earlier in the season. Everybody does. I think a lot of us were skeptical about the slow start being due to the new system, but I really think that was the biggest thing. This team looked miserable the first month of the season. I don't think I've seen a worse NHL team that what I saw in the first month and a half of the season. Everybody was all over the place, we gave up like 30 odd man rushes a game.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
  #21
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I was slightly concerned with Latendresse just being super lucky and receiving on his tape in the slot passes from Havlat, but I think he's gotten past that point with me now. He's consistently generating scoring chances and burying a good percentage of them.

I am also happy that he has made Havlat a much better player as well. I was a bit concerned that we didn't have enough talent to maximize his potential, but I am pleased with his play now. He looks a lot more comfortable than he did earlier in the season. Everybody does. I think a lot of us were skeptical about the slow start being due to the new system, but I really think that was the biggest thing. This team looked miserable the first month of the season. I don't think I've seen a worse NHL team that what I saw in the first month and a half of the season. Everybody was all over the place, we gave up like 30 odd man rushes a game.
I was nervous also that he was just lighting it up in his first couple of games with us because he was riding an emotional high and wanted to show off since being traded, but I am too a believer that he will continue to produce being paired with Havlat.

Havlat does look comfortable too, and I think that everything was just so new to everyone that a lot of players had crappy starts as the whole team did. You take away that first month and add a couple of wins in here and there and we're sitting right there in the middle of the playoff hunt. We are all but out of it now unless we can miraculously pull off a great rest of the month, but every game is so vital and losing to the Oilers and now to Calgary was huge, not to mention Detroit winning yesterday too.

Either way, let's hope that Lats can continue to play well and keep popping that puck in the net.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
  #22
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 500
The fact that he generates a LOT more chances than he or Havlat actually cash in on is a good sign. As long as the chances continue to be generated, the goals will follow. I come to the conclusion that I can live with Ebbett on this line for now as well. Brodziak is probably better in the defensive end, but Ebbett seems to gel with the way Havlat and Latendresse play in the offensive end.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
  #23
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The fact that he generates a LOT more chances than he or Havlat actually cash in on is a good sign. As long as the chances continue to be generated, the goals will follow. I come to the conclusion that I can live with Ebbett on this line for now as well. Brodziak is probably better in the defensive end, but Ebbett seems to gel with the way Havlat and Latendresse play in the offensive end.
Ebbett would be a cheap option if we somehow were able to lure a winger to play here through FA or if we were able to somehow to trade for one using draft picks and Harding since they are about all we have for trade bait. Since Lats and Havlat are producing without a great center, then maybe we would be better served focusing our attention on available wingers?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:10 AM
  #24
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
This trade must have really turned these two guys 180 degrees. When I watch Latendresse, he looks nothing like a slow fat skill-less and disinterested guy that the Montreal fans described after the trade. Also, looking at a recent thread on the Habs forum "" Benoit Pouliot: The Habs newest thirty and dare I say possible 40 goal scorer!,, the descriptions of him doing the dirty work and throwing his weight around, playing with passion, even "captain material," sounds entirely unlike our Benoit who showed flashes of great skill amidst rather long stretches of passionless, non-physical perimeter play.

Being given a real chance and playing with confidence seems to have been the key for both guys. Great great trade.


The bolded version is exactly how i would have described Lats during his Habs tenure. Its really remarkable how he has blossomed. I hope he cracks 30 goals for you guys this season!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
  #25
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
For once I think the Wild announcers give an event justice.


GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.