HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Failed comeback attempt 2.0, same old Sabres

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2010, 12:01 AM
  #51
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
It's good to hear Miller pissed but that gets a resounding 'meh' from me. It's obvious that Miller isn't happy with the team a lot of the time. I want to get a rant like that from Ruff, Regier, or even god forbid--Quinn. Change needs to come from higher up this time around, I don't think the players are good enough to get this going in completely the other direction.

Ottawa leap frogging the Sabres that quickly after they had such a large lead built up in the division is unacceptable.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
  #52
hottytoddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
I've missed the last couple of train wrecks. But, this team was performing well with Lindy earlier in the season. It's the players, a bunch of inconsistent cream puffs. They are who we thought they were.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:07 AM
  #53
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
I've missed the last couple of train wrecks. But, this team was performing well with Lindy earlier in the season. It's the players, a bunch of inconsistent cream puffs. They are who we thought they were.
they were winning earlier because Miller was putting up All Decade types of numbers... the notion that Lindy was motivating them and getting them ready to play night in and night out EARLIER, and its not working anymore is ridiculous... and even if it wear true, its still reason to fire him

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
  #54
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
how did anything i say lead you to believe thats what i think? talk about poor comprehension.
Initial quote to Afino:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Tone it down does not equal "no hitting"...and PLEASEEEEEE find me that quote if possible.
To which you replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
there's a Lindy Ruff quote that I love....

"If I thought hitting led to winning, I would tell them to hit more"

Lindy Ruff doesn't believe in winning through attrition or through the physical aspects of the game, wearing teams down, being "hard" to play against.

Lindy believes in execution of simplicities
It's perfect comprehension. You say it's a quote you love because you think it means "don't play physical"....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jame
Ruff does not instruct his players to be physical, Ruff does not motivate his players to be physical, Ruff believes the physical part of the game is something that "happens" within the context of the game, not something that is drilled into his players, not something that is insisted upon as a tool to winning.

that's what the quote means. Ruff doesn't believe that hitting and being physical are necessary components to winning the game, they are just aspects of the game. he doesn't tell them to avoid contact and he certainly doesnt tell them to NOT be physical, but he doesn't motivate his teams to be "tough" to play against. That's not the type of coach he is... you are the one having trouble comprehending what Ruff really is...
This is overblown. What team out there wins games solely via "war of attrition" method nowadays? You want something simply because it's different. Physicality IS something that "happens".... and when you have a ROSTER that is the antithesis of hitting, how can you preach a system based on it?? We've seen him win games via the method you desire: when his team was Peca, CuBro, Primeau, Ray, Varada, etc. If you want that style, you have to equip for it. Ruff's versatility, and ability to adapt his styles to fit his team, is one of his strong suits, and why he has been in the league so long. Again, something you should recognize if you can properly comprehend the intricacies of the game.

Again... you're on a crusade. And it's not a logical one. You want something that's not possible. Ruff wants his team to play physical when they can - like any coach - and knows he doesn't have the roster to do what you want.

You are also mixing up physicality with toughness, and again... you can't teach toughness. Which goes back to the roster being the problem. But yeah, us "homers".... ........

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:11 AM
  #55
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,857
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
This team is not better than the Hurricanes. We have a better goalie who is now worn down, and our best defenseman is better than theirs. That's it. We were outplayed most of the night. We were outcoached. They were mostly faster than us. They hit harder than us. And they scored more than us.

Bubble team? **** that. This is a lottery team rapidly burning through the point cushion Miller built up in the first half of the year.

Good:

Myers. That's really all we have right now.

Very few guys looked decent for most of the game. Ellis-Gaustad-Grier looked good after they were put together. TC's line looked OK

Ugly:

Derek Roy is the most selfish hockey player I've ever seen. He repeatedly tried to carry the puck into the zone by himself when the rest of his line was changing. Then instead of dumping it in he'd turn it over. Yes, he scored a couple goals. Doesn't make up for his selfish play.

Montador. Is. ****ing. Horrible. His skating is an abomination, he constantly looks like he's about to fall, and when he eventually does it costs us yet another game. **** Ruff for even putting him on the ice tonight, much less in OT.

Legace looked like **** all night, and we failed to take advantage of it. He bobbled almost every puck he caught, he was almost beat on weak slappers from the blue line on several occasions, just looked horrible. And yet we still couldn't get it done.

Ruff shuffling lines and pairings throughout the game. That's just ********, and it's no wonder this team looks like hell. Vanek-Roy-Stafford? Just ****ing resign or retire already.

Vanek looked like he might be nursing an injury in the 2nd. He took a few short shifts, jumping off for a change well before his linemates. He seemed to shake it off, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was playing hurt.

Almost no one can finish a check or throw a meaningful hit. Stafford was holding up on most of his. Tallinder is knocked off the puck so easily even a cave man could do it. No grit. Pathetic.

Giving up a 4 on 1? And a 3 on 0? Completely unacceptable.

I'm sure there's more that will come to me as I run through this anti-highlight-reel of a game in my head.

****ing disgusting. Heads should roll, starting with Regier and Ruff. And I never want to see Montador on the ice in a Sabres jersey again. Ever.
Not that you weren't already firmly entrenched in the "so biased against Roy that he cannot be taken seriously when it comes to Roy" crew, but this makes it official. All...ONE of his giveaways really pissed you off that much? Jeezus.

Roy was their best player tonight and, frankly, it wasn't all that close. He's so selfish that he set up Mac perfectly in the 1st and then made that great play where he kept the puck in by catching it, did a behind-the-back glove pass to himself and slid it over to our $7 million "sniper" who promptly got stoned by the great Manny Legace, followed by Roy doing what Vanek could not do, namely score the god**** goal.

So, while you and others will continuously ***** about his play (and, really, if you're going to complain about tonight, when won't you complain), I'll thank him for even earning us a point in the first place.

Un-****ing-believable.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:19 AM
  #56
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Initial quote to Afino:

To which you replied:

It's perfect comprehension. You say it's a quote you love because you think it means "don't play physical"....
Wow... talk about not getting it. You inferred the wrong comprehension. sorry, not my fault... i love the quote because I BELIEVE it alludes to the fact that Ruff doesn't think coaching the team to be physical is part of winning.

Quote:
This is overblown. What team out there wins games solely via "war of attrition" method nowadays? You want something simply because it's different. Physicality IS something that "happens".... and when you have a ROSTER that is the antithesis of hitting, how can you preach a system based on it?? We've seen him win games via the method you desire: when his team was Peca, CuBro, Primeau, Ray, Varada, etc. If you want that style, you have to equip for it. Ruff's versatility, and ability to adapt his styles to fit his team, is one of his strong suits, and why he has been in the league so long. Again, something you should recognize if you can properly comprehend the intricacies of the game.
Do you think Ruff has adapted his style and scheme to fit this team? the 3 longest signed, and highest paid players do not fit this scheme at all (Vanek, Roy, Poms)...

Quote:
Again... you're on a crusade. And it's not a logical one. You want something that's not possible. Ruff wants his team to play physical when they can - like any coach - and knows he doesn't have the roster to do what you want.
what makes you think Ruff wants his team to play physical? is it being at the bottom of the league in fighting majors? even though Montador and Mair have played 40+ games each...

Is it the fact that Ruff doesn't insist on any physical play from the top 6? he doesn't even attempt giving Goose or Kaleta time there like other teams do to "play the physical game"....

i dont see how its not logical to crusade for firing a coach who misses the playoffs more then he makes them and has been around for 12 years with very little to show... i think thats completely logical. Only in Buffalo is it illogical to fire a coach who doesn't get the job done... did Buffalo fans get behind Jauron and protect him because "he didn't have the tools"....

Quote:
You are also mixing up physicality with toughness, and again... you can't teach toughness. Which goes back to the roster being the problem. But yeah, us "homers".... ........
you are a lindy ruff homer... do you deny that? be real...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:27 AM
  #57
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Wow... talk about not getting it. You inferred the wrong comprehension. sorry, not my fault... i love the quote because I BELIEVE it alludes to the fact that Ruff doesn't think coaching the team to be physical is part of winning.



Do you think Ruff has adapted his style and scheme to fit this team? the 3 longest signed, and highest paid players do not fit this scheme at all (Vanek, Roy, Poms)...



what makes you think Ruff wants his team to play physical? is it being at the bottom of the league in fighting majors? even though Montador and Mair have played 40+ games each...

Is it the fact that Ruff doesn't insist on any physical play from the top 6? he doesn't even attempt giving Goose or Kaleta time there like other teams do to "play the physical game"....

i dont see how its not logical to crusade for firing a coach who misses the playoffs more then he makes them and has been around for 12 years with very little to show... i think thats completely logical. Only in Buffalo is it illogical to fire a coach who doesn't get the job done... did Buffalo fans get behind Jauron and protect him because "he didn't have the tools"....



you are a lindy ruff homer... do you deny that? be real...
Considering they made it to the SC Finals, and 2 ECF during Ruff's tenure that's pretty damn good since the Sabres were a playoff success wasteland since the late '70s. A decade of losing every opening round to the likes of Montreal, Boston, Quebec was a little old so finally having a semblance of success is kind of nice. Could Ruff coach better...yes, are some of his decisions a little mind boggling...yes.

Why don't they fire Ruff, trade Roy for a 3rd line plugger that can score 40pts a season but win a couple more faceoffs since that's what this team is missing...then while we're at it gut the rest of the roster so they look like the Nolan era Sabres just missing that generational talent between the pipes.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
  #58
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
what makes you think Ruff wants his team to play physical? is it being at the bottom of the league in fighting majors? even though Montador and Mair have played 40+ games each...

Is it the fact that Ruff doesn't insist on any physical play from the top 6? he doesn't even attempt giving Goose or Kaleta time there like other teams do to "play the physical game"....

i dont see how its not logical to crusade for firing a coach who misses the playoffs more then he makes them and has been around for 12 years with very little to show... i think thats completely logical. Only in Buffalo is it illogical to fire a coach who doesn't get the job done... did Buffalo fans get behind Jauron and protect him because "he didn't have the tools"....
Fighting majors? That's toughness. Not physicality. YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT, Jame. You have it or you don't. What the **** do you want Ruff to do? Oh, wait. You want Pat Kaleta and Paul Gaustad to make up a third of our top 6 .... wait... yeah,

And that he doesn't "insist on physicality from his top-6?" If you can find me a coach to get Roy, Stafford, Vanek, and CONNOLLY to play like a physical top-6, I'll concede and buy season tickets to brew you up for a year.

You also need to steer clear of football analogies, because Jauron is not even remotely comparable. We called for his head because he had never shown the track record of being capable of being successful. Ruff has. Ruff has taken a **** team to a Cup. Generational goaltender or not, that roster was RUFF driven to get where it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame
you are a lindy ruff homer... do you deny that? be real...
Actually, ironically enough, last year I was on board with Ruff being booted. I said "maybe a fresh face would be good".... but a year later, different approaches, one more year of the guys maturing, and the same ****. I've changed my tune, because I've realized that the core is not good enough as currently comprised, and it's not Ruff's fault that Vanek can't be the go-to guy, and Roy and Connolly can't make up a doable top-2 center duo. You're allowed to make realizations and have pictures painted for you. Try.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
  #59
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Considering they made it to the SC Finals, and 2 ECF during Ruff's tenure that's pretty damn good since the Sabres were a playoff success wasteland since the late '70s. A decade of losing every opening round to the likes of Montreal, Boston, Quebec was a little old so finally having a semblance of success is kind of nice. Could Ruff coach better...yes, are some of his decisions a little mind boggling...yes.

Why don't they fire Ruff, trade Roy for a 3rd line plugger that can score 40pts a season but win a couple more faceoffs since that's what this team is missing...then while we're at it gut the rest of the roster so they look like the Nolan era Sabres just missing that generational talent between the pipes.
why dont they just fire ruff and see what another coach can do with a roster that has a core locked up for the forseeable future. Regier isn't going to trade any of these guys... so if Ruff cant get it done with them, lets see if someone else can... What ruff did with other rosters is irrelevant, its what he CANT do with THIS roster that matters.

there are those that are delusional and think BIG roster changes can be made. That's not going to happen.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
  #60
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You also need to steer clear of football analogies, because Jauron is not even remotely comparable. We called for his head because he had never shown the track record of being capable of being successful. Ruff has. Ruff has taken a **** team to a Cup. Generational goaltender or not, that roster was RUFF driven to get where it was.
Mike Martz took another guys team to a super bowl too... ten years later he's had like a half dozen other jobs because he sucks..


Quote:
Actually, ironically enough, last year I was on board with Ruff being booted. I said "maybe a fresh face would be good".... but a year later, different approaches, one more year of the guys maturing, and the same ****. I've changed my tune, because I've realized that the core is not good enough as currently comprised, and it's not Ruff's fault that Vanek can't be the go-to guy, and Roy and Connolly can't make up a doable top-2 center duo. You're allowed to make realizations and have pictures painted for you. Try.
id like to see someone else paint the picture before i am certain that the canvas and paints are junk... the next guy might be a monet.

i dont want to say what if. i think their is talent here, and ruff cant get the most out of it... Roy was an 80 pt center once, Vanek has scored 40 goals twice, Poms was a pt per gamer... were they all flukes???

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
  #61
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why dont they just fire ruff and see what another coach can do with a roster that has a core locked up for the forseeable future. Regier isn't going to trade any of these guys... so if Ruff cant get it done with them, lets see if someone else can... What ruff did with other rosters is irrelevant, its what he CANT do with THIS roster that matters.

there are those that are delusional and think BIG roster changes can be made. That's not going to happen.
It IS what he can't do with this roster. You are truly convinced that this core can get it done? After being given so much time with so many line combos in so many different situations? You REALLY think a new coach can come in and do anything Ruff can't with these ****in' shtoops?

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
  #62
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It IS what he can't do with this roster. You are truly convinced that this core can get it done? After being given so much time with so many line combos in so many different situations? You REALLY think a new coach can come in and do anything Ruff can't with these ****in' shtoops?
i think these guys have tuned Ruff out completely... it started last year... they got off to a hot start because of Miller and that kept things even... Ruff cant handle losing, and thus his players cant handle losing.

Ruff isnt a leader, he isnt a motivator, and he isn't a teacher... Ruff is the drill instructor... unfortunately the team is gomer pyle

i dont know what a new coach would do... BUT I DESPERATELY WANT TO SEE... I know what Ruff can do with this team. I know this is the core we have for the next 4-5 years. Magical EA sports changes are not going to happen.

so i ask, if you agree that Ruff and the core arent a good fit... and you accept that massive trades are not going to happen... why dont you want to find out what another coach could do? why are you so convinced it wouldnt make a difference?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:43 AM
  #63
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Mike Martz took another guys team to a super bowl too... ten years later he's had like a half dozen other jobs because he sucks..
another piss poor, irrelevant football analogy. I repeat: stay away from the football




Quote:
Originally Posted by jame
id like to see someone else paint the picture before i am certain that the canvas and paints are junk... the next guy might be a monet.
Even Van Gogh and Picasso couldn't make paint a picture with dirty, rocky, watery piss and a dried-out leaf as a canvas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jame
i dont want to say what if. i think their is talent here, and ruff cant get the most out of it... Roy was an 80 pt center once, Vanek has scored 40 goals twice, Poms was a pt per gamer... were they all flukes???
5 years later, I'll take that chance. Because we now know that those years were either flukes or not capable of being those players in the top spotlight. We've been with those guys for 5 years and have never, not ONCE, seen them play BIG TIME without sharing the spotlight with other offensive players. Now, the focus is on them and they're floundering.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
  #64
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think these guys have tuned Ruff out completely... it started last year... they got off to a hot start because of Miller and that kept things even... Ruff cant handle losing, and thus his players cant handle losing.

Ruff isnt a leader, he isnt a motivator, and he isn't a teacher... Ruff is the drill instructor... unfortunately the team is gomer pyle

i dont know what a new coach would do... BUT I DESPERATELY WANT TO SEE... I know what Ruff can do with this team. I know this is the core we have for the next 4-5 years. Magical EA sports changes are not going to happen.
I completely disagree with everything above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
so i ask, if you agree that Ruff and the core arent a good fit... and you accept that massive trades are not going to happen... why dont you want to find out what another coach could do? why are you so convinced it wouldnt make a difference?
It wouldn't take massive trades. It would take acquiring a body and getting rid of one. Otherwise known as a decent GM. Which has been my point all along since I realized that the core isn't good enough to be the feature presentation. Regier has to go. But I wont be crusading that...

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:49 AM
  #65
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
another piss poor, irrelevant football analogy. I repeat: stay away from the football
another piss poor rebuttal full of NOTHING of substance.
Ruff went to cup with another guys team. Martz did the same thing.

ignoring analogies is one way of dealing with the fact that Ruff went to a stanley cup a ****ing decade ago

Quote:
Even Van Gogh and Picasso couldn't make paint a picture with dirty, rocky, watery piss and a dried-out leaf as a canvas.
I think Miller is a ****ing very good canvas... don't you? With a strong canvas and a assortment of interesting yet not fully developed colors... thats a lot to work with for any artist....



Quote:
5 years later, I'll take that chance. Because we now know that those years were either flukes or not capable of being those players in the top spotlight. We've been with those guys for 5 years and have never, not ONCE, seen them play BIG TIME without sharing the spotlight with other offensive players. Now, the focus is on them and they're floundering.
you still cant handle these facts

FACT 1 - RUFF CANT WIN WITH THIS ROSTER
FACT 2 - THIS IS THE ROSTER FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS

you think cosmetic changes will make a difference, i dont... Miller, Vanek, Poms, Roy, Connolly, Goose, Myers, Butler, Kaleta are the core of the team and will be going forward. Ruff cant win with them... id like to see if someone else can

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:51 AM
  #66
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I completely disagree with everything above.


It wouldn't take massive trades. It would take acquiring a body and getting rid of one. Otherwise known as a decent GM. Which has been my point all along since I realized that the core isn't good enough to be the feature presentation. Regier has to go. But I wont be crusading that...
Oh... so ONE player is going to make the difference in Ruff's ability to get this team to win and play to their abilities...



trading anyone of Roy, Poms, Vanek or Connolly would be a massive trade in Buffalo standards... we both know NONE of those guys are being traded.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
  #67
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
another piss poor rebuttal full of NOTHING of substance.
Ruff went to cup with another guys team. Martz did the same thing.

ignoring analogies is one way of dealing with the fact that Ruff went to a stanley cup a ****ing decade ago
My rebuttal is that your analogies ****ing suck, and don't apply to hockey and the coaches and the concept of instilling your beliefs on a roster of 23 vs. a roster of 50-70 guys with a different coach for every ****ing position and game facet. Stop with your **** ass awful football analogies, they're retarded. That's my rebuttal, filled with subbbbbstannnnccceee. mmmmmmmm.
Quote:
I think Miller is a ****ing very good canvas... don't you? With a strong canvas and a assortment of interesting yet not fully developed colors... thats a lot to work with for any artist....
We're not talking about Miller. You could be a paralyzed blind man and be able to paint on a "Miller canvas". I'm talking about Poms, Vanek, Connolly and Roy.




Quote:
you still cant handle these facts

FACT 1 - RUFF CANT WIN WITH THIS ROSTER
FACT 2 - THIS IS THE ROSTER FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS
unless you're the GM, this isn't a fact. FAR from it. In fact, either Regier stays and changes things, or someone else comes in and does it for him. You think a new coach would be brought in A) under the Regier regime and B) without the roster undergoing changes as well?

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:56 AM
  #68
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Oh... so ONE player is going to make the difference in Ruff's ability to get this team to win and play to their abilities...



trading anyone of Roy, Poms, Vanek or Connolly would be a massive trade in Buffalo standards... we both know NONE of those guys are being traded.
If Regier stays here past next year, he's changing the roster. If someone new comes in, he's changing the roster just as fast as he's changing the staff, because any SANE MAN can see the core now, see how it has done the past few years, and realize changes are needed.

YOU THINK you "KNOW" that none of them are going to be traded. I disagree. You play the easy card, I play the extrapolated, longterm aspects.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
  #69
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
If Regier stays here past next year, he's changing the roster. If someone new comes in, he's changing the roster just as fast as he's changing the staff, because any SANE MAN can see the core now, see how it has done the past few years, and realize changes are needed.

YOU THINK you "KNOW" that none of them are going to be traded. I disagree. You play the easy card, I play the extrapolated, longterm aspects.
i play the reality card... Regier is NOT trading any long term asset. He doesnt do that. He's stated he WON'T do that. pay attention because you are about to get schooled.

Can you name one player that Regier has traded who had MORE then one year left on their NHL contract? No you can't... but yet, you think you've "extrapolated" the long term aspects well enough to assume that the GM will do something he hasn't done in a ****ing decade...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
  #70
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i play the reality card... Regier is NOT trading any long term asset. He doesnt do that. He's stated he WON'T do that. pay attention because you are about to get schooled.

Can you name one player that Regier has traded who had MORE then one year left on their NHL contract? No you can't... but yet, you think you've "extrapolated" the long term aspects well enough to assume that the GM will do something he hasn't done in a ****ing decade...
And my point to you has been that if Regier stays, Ruff stays. If Regier goes, Ruff probably goes, but so do some of those players. No SANE general manager is going to come in and say "Lindy Ruff didn't get the job done, but clearly it was his fault because this group has proven they can get it done in the spotlight"... that's completely wrong.

If you want to talk about what Regier does and does not do, be prepared to be looking at a lot of Ruff... because they're a team. I want Regier gone, you want Ruff gone.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:12 AM
  #71
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And my point to you has been that if Regier stays, Ruff stays. If Regier goes, Ruff probably goes, but so do some of those players. No SANE general manager is going to come in and say "Lindy Ruff didn't get the job done, but clearly it was his fault because this group has proven they can get it done in the spotlight"... that's completely wrong.

If you want to talk about what Regier does and does not do, be prepared to be looking at a lot of Ruff... because they're a team. I want Regier gone, you want Ruff gone.
i want them both gone... but i want Ruff gone now, Patrick as interim coach, and if he doesn't turn it around then fire Regier after the season...

thats what i want.

you are right about a new GM making significant changes. my only wish is that we atleast SEE what someone else could do with this roster before we blow the whole thing up and sit through the rebuilding years again...

we CAN'T know what another coach would be able to accomplish with this roster.... we KNOW what Ruff can get us, a battle for the bottom seeds, or slightly better if Miller is HOT.

Why wouldn't we want to see what another coach could do with the core roster thats locked up long term?

Why would you prefer going through a rebuild to seeing if we dont have something here with a different coach first?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:21 AM
  #72
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i want them both gone... but i want Ruff gone now, Patrick as interim coach, and if he doesn't turn it around then fire Regier after the season...

thats what i want.

you are right about a new GM making significant changes. my only wish is that we atleast SEE what someone else could do with this roster before we blow the whole thing up and sit through the rebuilding years again...

we CAN'T know what another coach would be able to accomplish with this roster.... we KNOW what Ruff can get us, a battle for the bottom seeds, or slightly better if Miller is HOT.

Why wouldn't we want to see what another coach could do with the core roster thats locked up long term?

Why would you prefer going through a rebuild to seeing if we dont have something here with a different coach first?
I don't want to see what James Patrick could do with this team, no. I don't care for that. Nor should you, because all of his coaching tendencies will have come from Ruff.

And after watching Roy pout and underperform, Vanek be lazy and fail to score consistent big goals, Stafford play inconsistent, and Pominville taper off to an average offensive player, I'm inclined to break a piece of that off and keep Ruff.

Obviously, if you had me pick between Ruff AND Regier staying and trading one of those guys, or Ruff and Regier going and all of those guys staying, I'm taking the former.


But now we can both go to sleep, because therein lies the problem. I've seen enough from Vanek, Roy, Connolly, Stafford, Poms, and Hecht as the top-6 to know that I don't care for them, as composed, as a top-6. You'd rather see what a different coach could do with that group, I wouldn't. I remain unimpressed by them as a unit and would rather keep the coach who I KNOW CAN WIN and give him a new body or two.

And yeah, I'd be willing to give Ruff another FIVE years to see what he could do if it meant trading a center and Vanek for a chance to do a legit rebuild.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:22 AM
  #73
Vito_81
Registered User
 
Vito_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,135
vCash: 500
I wanted Ruff gone last season. The team looked lost 2 seasons in a row without Dru and Danny. However, he surprised me with how he got the guys out of the gate. I think Lindy deserves the rest of the season to prove his worth.

If this team somehow misses the playoffs. He's LONG GONE. If this team drops to the 7th or 8th seed and loses 1st round, he's still gotta be fired.

But if things turn around and they battle for the division down the stretch and end up winning the division or even making the playoffs in the 4th or 5th seed, how can you still turn around and fire the guy?

If things end up as they seemingly should and the Sabres finish 5th or better. Not only is that better than any of us could have hoped for at the beginning of the season, but Lindy should be commended for that. Not fired.

Every team hits rough patches. Let's see how things shake out before we give Ruff the boot.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:28 AM
  #74
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i want them both gone... but i want Ruff gone now, Patrick as interim coach, and if he doesn't turn it around then fire Regier after the season...

thats what i want.

you are right about a new GM making significant changes. my only wish is that we atleast SEE what someone else could do with this roster before we blow the whole thing up and sit through the rebuilding years again...

we CAN'T know what another coach would be able to accomplish with this roster.... we KNOW what Ruff can get us, a battle for the bottom seeds, or slightly better if Miller is HOT.

Why wouldn't we want to see what another coach could do with the core roster thats locked up long term?
Why would you prefer going through a rebuild to seeing if we dont have something here with a different coach first?

Because the "core" hasn't done **** without Briere and Drury. Period. and that point was already made.

Your so hellbent on ****canning Lindy that you don't realize the real problem: A general manager/managing partner who decided that Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Tim Connolly and Jason Pominville could carry the load offensively. Remember that the coach can only work with the roster that he has. What the hell do you expect? You think Ket Hitchcock is going to come in and get Vanek back to 40 goal seasons?

Ruff's system for the first half of the year WORKED. You seem to forget that when the team moves away from RUFF's system, we lose. You seem to forget that starting Patrick Lalime is essentially forefitting a game. Ruff has gotten more out of this team than any coach around could, plain and simple. Especially when you only have two defenseman that are playing as Top 4 D, a Top 6 that doesn't exist, and a rookie center who's in over his head.

Pull your head out of the sand and see the real problem with the Buffalo Sabres: The makeup of the roster. Until the offensive core changes, we are at a standstill. And the ONLY way that happens is if Regier gets the axe, or we booze him up, get him high, and hope he grows the liquid balls to trade one of "his" guys.

This team is soft, both mentally and physically. And that's namely because we have a forward core that was built on a ultra quick, transition style offensive system that stopped working by April of 2008. Ruff's fault? wrong. Regier's? We'll let the omnipotent Jame figure that one out.


Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:31 AM
  #75
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
And we're more likely to see Regier trade one of those contracts than we are to see a new GM and a new coach keep the exact core intact.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.