HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Brandon Sutter

Old
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Brandon Sutter

Being a Sutter it's a given that he plays with heart, grit, and gives it all out there, but I'm finding it hard to find out more info about his offensive game and potential. I haven't watched many Canes games except for the highlights so can you guys tell me what he's projected to be? What are the offensive tools that he has? I know that he's projected to be your 2nd line center as soon as next season but it's looking like he could surpass expectations

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:34 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Many of us were expecting him to be a great 3rd liner, but his vast improvement from last season has many of us seeing second line potential. He will most likely put up near 20 goals and 45 points this season, which is way ahead of our expectations. If he makes another huge leap in development, he will be something great next season

Sutter knows that going to the net pays off, so he gets a lot of those garbage goals. He is lanky but has long legs that he can really push off of and can fly down the ice. And as we saw with his goal today, his shot is pretty solid

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

What are some good comparisons? And has he filled out his frame yet? How is his acceleration and footspeed?

Can't really get enough info about him or maybe I'm not look hard enough, if true I apologize

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
He's filled out some since he was drafted, but he's still not all there yet. And his acceleration and footspeed has really improved since the draft, that's the big step forward he made in his game that has him being looked at as a future second line guy.

Can't think of a good comparison offhand though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Like I said in the GDT, he's #6 in NHL scoring from his draft year. I know many of those guys haven't played in the NHL yet, and JVR and Moller are right on his tail, but that's still something to be proud of.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
As ironic as it sounds, he looks like a younger and more defensively responsible Eric Staal out there. The irony being that describes his brother Jordan Staal.

Now, I am not saying they're 1 for 1 comparable to one another but there are a lot of similarities. In terms of skating, he looks like a set of legs and a stick moving fluidly out there like Staal did when he was 18 or 19 years old. That "young gazelle" type stride that hints at elite speed to come.

The hands are the most surprising part of the whole package and the aspect that many, myself included, dismissed as being a part of his game that simply wouldn't develop further than they were already. I wouldn't even say so much that his hands are elite, but his body positioning and smarts are such that he's always right where he needs to be and his shot is adequate enough to finish plays consistently at the NHL level.

His passing is also very cerebral and could be his calling card eventually. For example, his game winning pass tonight to Samsonov. Few players would have had the presence of mind to backhand that puck into the slot where Samsonov was going instead of where he was. If that pass is in Samsonov's skates or goes behind him, it's obviously a dead play.

It's tough because there is nothing about his offensive game that is overwhelmingly impressive from a physical standpoint, but he's just so damn smart that he puts the puck where it needs to be to create offense. He's a Sutter in every sense of the word.

He's just one of those kids that you watch that carries himself with such a reverence for the game that you can tell that he's going to be great one day. His general disposition reminds me of Ron Francis. Just a ready made professional at the tender age of 20.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Scorvo

Someone on here mentioned Trevor Linden as a comparison and I think that's a good one.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
He's just one of those kids that you watch that carries himself with such a reverence for the game that you can tell that he's going to be great one day. His general disposition reminds me of Ron Francis. Just a ready made professional at the tender age of 20.
I said that after watching his first training camp and people scoffed at me...told me he'd be more like Brind'Amour...but I didn't see that similarity. I don't think he plays a completely similar game to how Francis played with Carolina, but I know next to nothing about how Francis played when he was 20 years old. It would not shock me if they are somewhat similar, though. I say somewhat because I don't know that Brandon will ever have the ability to put the puck on a teammate's stick in the same way that Francis could.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote