HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Old
05-16-2013, 06:56 AM
JBS12

vCash: 500
It's fine if he gives credit where credit is due, but I just wish he wouldn't sound so happy when the other team scores. It seems kind of disloyal to me.

JBS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:38 AM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
I like him. Hey he's a fan....a Bruin's fan. When I think of the sickening homers in the hockey broadcasting field, Danny Gallivan, Dick 'Lips" Irvin and Bob Cole all come quickly to mind. Talk about the art of holding your nose while you listen.
I thought with the habs out, Cole would have been golfing. I couldn't bear to listen to him last night.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Save By Thomas
I Rep That West

I love Jack, it drives me nuts when I have to listen to someone else call Bruins games.

Save By Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaryuh View Post
I thought with the habs out, Cole would have been golfing. I couldn't bear to listen to him last night.
If there is one guy I like more than Edwards its Bob Cole. An absolute legend with an epic voice. When I think NHL playoffs I think Cole.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
TimMac41

I am unsure if this was already posted but this interview Jack did on Mad Dog radio I believe shows a different side of Jack Edwards that most don't know. Shows a lot of his brains that don't shine through during his broadcasts. He gives a lot of support to the Leafs and their fans.
http://nesn.com/2013/05/jack-edwards...radio-audio/2/
My friend is a Leafs fan and he said he was upset early in the series as he felt strange as his respect for Boston was growing (confusing feelings) and he was even gaining respect for Jack Edwards and preferred Jack's calls of the Leafs goals to CBC's.

TimMac41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
nhemti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMac41 View Post
I am unsure if this was already posted but this interview Jack did on Mad Dog radio I believe shows a different side of Jack Edwards that most don't know. Shows a lot of his brains that don't shine through during his broadcasts. He gives a lot of support to the Leafs and their fans.
http://nesn.com/2013/05/jack-edwards...radio-audio/2/
My friend is a Leafs fan and he said he was upset early in the series as he felt strange as his respect for Boston was growing (confusing feelings) and he was even gaining respect for Jack Edwards and preferred Jack's calls of the Leafs goals to CBC's.
Jack also did an interview on Greg and the Morning Buzz this morning.

http://www.wheb.com/player/?station=...l&mid=23222539

nhemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Tattoo You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
Jack E's become the iconic voice of the B's because he was lucky enough to be the play by play announcer during a sucecssful period in the B's history and he has a distinctive style.
I don't think you know what that word really means.

Fred Cusick is an icon. Jack Edwards is a fad.

Tattoo You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Tattoo You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
man am i glad we're done with whacko Jacko for the remainder. I've actually come to put more blame on Brick though for letting all the chicanery go unchecked. I don't recall Taz spending even one minute in the penalty bench. If Orsillo ever referred to the bullpen as the outfield dugout i'm sure Remdog would let him have it.

And after years of doing hockey PBP he STILL doesn't quite get the concept that the guy that delivers the hit is the guy that takes the body, not the guy who takes the hit.

Whatever happened to down the river? did that go the way of the dodo bird and icky balooky?
It got lost in the eddy of the flow. Duh!

Tattoo You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:18 PM
JBS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo You View Post
Completely agree

Last edited by JBS12: 05-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
JBS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Jack gets too excited when the other team scores.

Dale Arnold did the other team scoring the best.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Jack comes up with some of the best stuff sometimes, his line about the dagger being at their throats and them ripping it out of Toronto's hands was as good as it gets.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Exactly.

Jack really goes for it. It certainly doesn't always work, but when it does it can be spine-tingling.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo You View Post
I don't think you know what that word really means.

Different generations have different icons. Jacks definitely an icon, its the Dale Arnold's of the world that fall into the forgotten categories. I'll remember Jacks calls for the rest of my life!

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
missingchicklet

Jack is a great PBP guy. He does his research before games and calls a very good game from a technical standpoint. He knows the history of the Bruins quite well. He has enthusiasm. He makes memorable calls in big situations. You can really tell he is a big hockey fan. Love him.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Johnnyduke

I'm torn. Yes, he's knowledgeable and loves his job. To be fair, I just don't like his style. He's too much of a homer for me and goes way over the top sometimes. I also don't like his staged speeches that he breaks out from time to time.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Joeygmoney
The King of Ding

I like Jack a lot. I also love Tommy Heinsohn who is starting to go bad at his age but they bias and love for the hometown team makes them awesome. Gil and Gino were amazing on the Pats radio call seeing has we dont have local guys for their broadcasts other than the radio. As far as remy, he is insufferable. Complete trash, provides minimal insight into the game its a 3 hour sales pitch during every sox game now. I have hated Remy since they signed him hes so bad. Jack is awesome tho.

Joeygmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

Dale Arnold barely has a pulse so yeah he wasn't excited when the other team scores. You look up the definition of Milquetoast in the dictionary and I think they have a picture of Dale next to it.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Andrew83

I really like Jack a lot, but this year he hasn't been quite as good. I can't put my finger on it.

Andrew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
I really like Jack a lot, but this year he hasn't been quite as good. I can't put my finger on it.
I think he has tried to be less of a homer, in other words tried to cut down the over the top moments that end up on youtube. For that, he thought more before he spoke so he reached his goal, but his wit and unique calls suffered. Fewer lows, fewer highs. You have to let Jack do his thing and deal with the consequences, and 99% of the time he'll be great and 1% is the part why fanbases who have never watched him call a full game hate him.

I't a "can't make omelette without breaking eggs" kinda thing. Similar to Lucic as a player. An angry and physical Lucic is a beast, but will take a stupid penalty from time to time. You don't get those when you tell him to tone it down, but you also rob him of his biggest strentgh.

Same principle applies to Jack.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Different generations have different icons. Jacks definitely an icon, its the Dale Arnold's of the world that fall into the forgotten categories. I'll remember Jacks calls for the rest of my life!
You'll never take Dave Shea away from me!

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygmoney View Post
I like Jack a lot. I also love Tommy Heinsohn who is starting to go bad at his age but they bias and love for the hometown team makes them awesome. Gil and Gino were amazing on the Pats radio call seeing has we dont have local guys for their broadcasts other than the radio. As far as remy, he is insufferable. Complete trash, provides minimal insight into the game its a 3 hour sales pitch during every sox game now. I have hated Remy since they signed him hes so bad. Jack is awesome tho.
I liked Ekersley! Remy and Don used to be funny but now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
You'll never take Dave Shea away from me!

Btw, is anyone appreciating Jack and Brick a little bit more right now? Good thing hockey isn't as easy to control as basketball, you can tell its all New York all the time right now. The Bruins exist only to lose to the Rangers.

I used to have a Linux setup to sync the Hub call with the telecast, but its NBCS right now. They are so happy right now that Stepan scored..

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Hamilton Brian

For Final Jeopardy:

Answer: Because the alternative is horribly more painful.

Question: How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:12 AM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

I love Jack's call of the game.His flow is what I like,he's not afraid to tell it like it is and his off the wall phrases are the best in the business,IMO that is.

05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

This is a reason why I like Jack actually. Whom he roots for is clear, but if I am a fan of an opponent watching a Jack broadcast, I`d say I would be rather impressed that he doesn`t get all whiny/stoic when the opponent scores.

There are some absolutely awful broadcast teams out there, no need to get into them, and while Jack gets over the top excited at times, I still see fans here screaming for NESN streams when literally EVERY other broadcast team is the carrier for the game

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
acr*

Jack is a guy who loves and knows hockey, and he clearly doesn't care what people think of him so he's comfortable being himself. I like that, even if sometimes he goes overboard.

Someone mentioned how they don't like Remy. Couldn't agree more. Talk about overrated. All he does is try to shill his RemDawg crap and do goofy comedy routines with Don that don't hit. And his voice is grating, let's see what the Ameeker pitch zone said on that pitch to Saltalamachier. :smoker's wheeze:

If NESN wanted a better product, they'd work Remy out and Eck in as the new color commentator. Back when Remy was sick and Eck was calling the games, it was great. He's hilarious yet knows his crap.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote