HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you guys think of this?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
What do you guys think of this?

Over at the Rangers' board, I proposed trading Tkachuk and the Blues pick at #17 in June for the Raners picks at #26, #36 and #37.

The consensus among the Ranger fans who responded is that they'd do Demitra and the #17 for the #26, #36, and the compensatory pick they'll get from RJ Umberger going back into the draft (about #46).

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=73565

What do you all think about this?

Personally, I think I'd do it.

I'd prefer to get Katy's $10 million off the books for next year, but if they could rid themselves of Demitra's $6.5 million, plus not lose out on a first-round pick, plus get three picks in the top half of the second round (the two from the Rangers, plus their own)...

PrussianBlue

Old
04-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
Over at the Rangers' board, I proposed trading Tkachuk and the Blues pick at #17 in June for the Raners picks at #26, #36 and #37.

The consensus among the Ranger fans who responded is that they'd do Demitra and the #17 for the #26, #36, and the compensatory pick they'll get from RJ Umberger going back into the draft (about #46).

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=73565

What do you all think about this?

Personally, I think I'd do it.

I'd prefer to get Katy's $10 million off the books for next year, but if they could rid themselves of Demitra's $6.5 million, plus not lose out on a first-round pick, plus get three picks in the top half of the second round (the two from the Rangers, plus their own)...

PrussianBlue
My expectations are: If dealing Tkachuk, the Blues are going to have to settle for less because of his contract, because of his NTC, and because of his playoff performances. Demitra, on the other hand, should bring back at least one player ready right now, whether it be a blue chip prospect ready to start in the league or a young guy with a couple of NHL seasons under his belt. Demitra's contract isn't as ridiculous as Tkachuk's and Demitra is the better player in terms of making the players around him better. I expect more in a Demitra deal than I do in a Tkachuk deal.

Old
04-25-2004, 03:00 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
My expectations are: If dealing Tkachuk, the Blues are going to have to settle for less because of his contract, because of his NTC, and because of his playoff performances. Demitra, on the other hand, should bring back at least one player ready right now, whether it be a blue chip prospect ready to start in the league or a young guy with a couple of NHL seasons under his belt. Demitra's contract isn't as ridiculous as Tkachuk's and Demitra is the better player in terms of making the players around him better. I expect more in a Demitra deal than I do in a Tkachuk deal.
i would do it unless there is a guy that jarmo wants they can only get at 17

Old
04-25-2004, 04:04 PM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
You know, I think I would do it to get Tkachuk's money off the books. And if we could get something, even if it is a single 2nd rounder for Demitra then I'd be alright with that too. That would be a ton of money off the books, plus (at least) four good young prospects.

It might hurt us for a couple years to do such a thing, but I figure with free agency, we'd be alright in the end just because of the money we would save getting rid of Tkachuk & Demitra.

Plus, I'm not one of those people who gives anything about 'the streak', and so I wouldn't mind stinking it up for a couple years and getting good draft picks in return.

Old
04-25-2004, 04:54 PM
barnburner

I read somewhere that Tkachuck's contract is down to $5 mill next season. If that's correct, then Demitra's contract is more than Walt's, so all the more reason to send him out the door first.
Personally, I'd like to see both of them go.
Get whatever we can for them and move on to the future,because there is no future with them.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:44 PM
kimzey59

I wouldn't do that deal. First round picks are way too valueable to our team right now to trade, even if there was another one coming our way. I would try a Demitra for the 26th and the 36th. IMO if any of the big three can land us a 1st round pick + a mid-level pick or prospect I'd do it.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
I read somewhere that Tkachuck's contract is down to $5 mill next season. If that's correct, then Demitra's contract is more than Walt's, so all the more reason to send him out the door first.
Get whatever we can for them and move on to the future,because there is no future with them.

Tkachuk's contract extends for 3 more years(one of which being a team option). Next year he will get 10 mil, the next 9 and the option is at 5 mil. Unfortunately Walt has a NTC for the first half of his contract(he signed a 5 year deal and the first 3 are NTC). That could make it difficult to trade him.

Old
04-26-2004, 08:24 AM
degroat*

I know many people want to get rid of Tkachuk, but IMO you're really wasting your time trying to come up with a scenario to move him. For one, his $19M over the next two years is too much for the Blues to move him without picking up a large portion of his salary. Secondly, I really couldn't see him agreeing to be traded unless it was to his hometown of Boston, who I cannot see picking up his salary.

IMO, this team should concentrate on moving Doug Weight.... for a bunch of reasons.
1. The $14.5 he's due over the next two years isn't too much to get good value in return.
2. Reports/Rumors that he doesn't see eye to eye with other leaders on the team, specifically Pronger.
3. He was horrible this year. Yes, he had horrible linemates, but that doesn't give him an excuse for a poor effort.
4. This team won't be contending for a few years and they're going to need all the help they can get to get a decent seed in the playoffs if they make them at all. Demitra will do much more for this than Doug Weight ever will.
5. It's becoming pretty clear, IMO, that's he's not happy here and would waive his NTC.

One last thing... Los Angeles will have plenty of money to spend this summer. I've heard the idea of a Weight for Stumpel trade. I'm not sure if the Kings would do it, but I would simply because the Blues are going to need cheaper scorers in return if they move any of the big name players.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
IMO, this team should concentrate on moving Doug Weight.... for a bunch of reasons.
I'd agree with all of those reasons given. I think Weight is definitely more tradeable than Walt, and I have this gut feeling that moving him solves 75% of the problems this team had last season. Yeah KT had a horrible postseason and there's no excuse for that, but I've heard from more than one person that Weight really poisoned the locker room this past season. Those of us who know the Shanahan story know what destroying the locker room chemistry can do to a team.

And....no - I wouldn't trade Weight for Stumpel. I've never been sold on Josef, and don't see where he really makes the team better. Much like Zhamnov - hyped to have world-class skill, but has never really impressed me no matter where he's played.

I'll also agree with a few others, I don't want to trade that 1st round pick even if we're getting one of those back plus a 2nd round pick and that compensatory pick (which should be 44, IIRC Umberger was drafted 14th and the pick would be one round later...making it 44). Leave the swap of 1st rounders out of it - that player we could get at 17 will usually be a better player than the one we could get at 26.

04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I'd agree with all of those reasons given. I think Weight is definitely more tradeable than Walt, and I have this gut feeling that moving him solves 75% of the problems this team had last season. Yeah KT had a horrible postseason and there's no excuse for that, but I've heard from more than one person that Weight really poisoned the locker room this past season. Those of us who know the Shanahan story know what destroying the locker room chemistry can do to a team.

And....no - I wouldn't trade Weight for Stumpel. I've never been sold on Josef, and don't see where he really makes the team better. Much like Zhamnov - hyped to have world-class skill, but has never really impressed me no matter where he's played.

I'll also agree with a few others, I don't want to trade that 1st round pick even if we're getting one of those back plus a 2nd round pick and that compensatory pick (which should be 44, IIRC Umberger was drafted 14th and the pick would be one round later...making it 44). Leave the swap of 1st rounders out of it - that player we could get at 17 will usually be a better player than the one we could get at 26.

Stumpel is a UFA this year. I would rather base the trade around someone like Brown and a 2nd.

As for trading our 1st, not in this draft. Just not deep enough. I would understand if you would move Weight and our 1st to LA for Brown and their 1st. But I wouldn't want to move back.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:27 PM
CuSa_1

I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your message on the ESPN Rangers board, to see what kind of response I could get from them

I'll report back later.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:29 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
Tkachuk goes(actually stays) to 10 mill next season, then 9 mill the year after that, then down to 5 million. If the Blues are willing to eat about 2 million in each of the first 2 seasons we could demand top dollar(in this case picks/prospects) for him in return.

EDIT: I just saw Kimzey already replied and answered, sorry for the repetitiveness.

Old
04-27-2004, 10:15 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your message on the ESPN Rangers board, to see what kind of response I could get from them

I'll report back later.
NO WAY. we're rebuilding we don't need a fat contract for someone who'll probably play like ***** here.

poster with 250 posts
----------------------

I'll take it! a 17th overall and captain in tkachuk or a scorer like demitra for 3 second rounders? hell yeah!

poster with 1900 posts
---------------------------------------------------

i would probably take demitra

poster with 150 posts

---------------------------
I realize # of posts don't necessarily mean a respected poster.

Closed Thread