HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bobby Ryan eventually come to Philly? Maybe?

Old
02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Will Bobby Ryan eventually come to Philly? Maybe?

So, after reading this article, I must say I never realized that Ryan had so many ties to Clarkie.

Any chance those ties pull him to Philly some day?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
JSTAFF

Nice article. would love to see him in the O&B at some point.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
So, after reading this article, I must say I never realized that Ryan had so many ties to Clarkie.

Any chance those ties pull him to Philly some day?
Clarke was supposedly trying like Hell to move up in the draft to have a shot at Ryan, but the asking prices were Carter and/or Richards, IIRC

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Clarke was supposedly trying like Hell to move up in the draft to have a shot at Ryan, but the asking prices were Carter and/or Richards, IIRC
Yeah, I remember hearing about that. I'm thinking, maybe once he hits UFA he considers coming to Philly to be closer to his parents, and maybe give some goals back to one of the organizations that helped him get where he is?

Although, he grew up in SoCal moreso than here, and recently bought a house there, so who knows if he'd want to move back up here.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Can you imagine if we could somehow bring in the two players that actually want to be here to be in our lineup?

Umberger - Carter - Richards
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Ryan

It's not going to happen, but that might be just about unstoppable.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Can you imagine if we could somehow bring in the two players that actually want to be here to be in our lineup?

Umberger - Carter - Richards
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Ryan

It's not going to happen, but that might be just about unstoppable.
I dont like Richards on the wing, but would love to see Ryan here, and also wouldnt mind Umberger back here as well. Although, I thought Umberger liked being where he was cause of his college ties?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont like Richards on the wing, but would love to see Ryan here, and also wouldnt mind Umberger back here as well. Although, I thought Umberger liked being where he was cause of his college ties?
Umberger has a Flyers tattoo. That's about as loyal as you can get.

Also, a little side note, I want to try Richards on Carter's wing. Carter is terrible at wing, but Richards may be better at it.

Last edited by CS: 02-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:20 AM
FLYERSFAN18

What do you all think it would take to get him to philly?

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What do you all think it would take to get him to philly?
More than any one around here would pay.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza18 View Post
More than any one around here would pay.
Honestly, when we get out of this economic doom and gloom, I could definitely see him coming here as the cap will slowly grow by the time he is an UFA.

Also, I wonder if he'll ever change his name back.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I don't like Richards on the wing either but Carter is a better faceoff man, could Richards play second line?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Honestly, when we get out of this economic doom and gloom, I could definitely see him coming here as the cap will slowly grow by the time he is an UFA.

Also, I wonder if he'll ever change his name back.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this happening. I just can't see the Ducks letting him walk. He would need to be hell bent on leaving and I just can't see that happening.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Jester

Quote:

Also, a little side note, I want to try Richards on Carter's wing. Carter is terrible and wing, but Richards may be better at it.
The moment you do that...this team instantaneously becomes significantly worse defensively down the middle. Richards is that good at it.

Jeff Carter is on for more goals against than Richards, while playing against significantly easier competition. Giroux has better numbers than both, but also has spent time on Richards wing, and when he's a center he plays against even weaker competition.

Mike Richards is a center...his entire offensive game is built around being a center, and his greatest attribute (two-way play) is most effective as a center.

Quote:

Also, a little side note, I want to try Richards on Carter's wing. Carter is terrible and wing, but Richards may be better at it.
Carter also shouldn't be moved from center at this point, but to say he's a "terrible wing" is a bit much. He's played a grand total of about 5 games on wing in his career...and, as far as I know, he never played wing coming up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The moment you do that...this team instantaneously becomes significantly worse defensively down the middle. Richards is that good at it.

Jeff Carter is on for more goals against than Richards, while playing against significantly easier competition. Giroux has better numbers than both, but also has spent time on Richards wing, and when he's a center he plays against even weaker competition.

Mike Richards is a center...his entire offensive game is built around being a center, and his greatest attribute (two-way play) is most effective as a center.

Carter also shouldn't be moved from center at this point, but to say he's a "terrible wing" is a bit much. He's played a grand total of about 5 games on wing in his career...and, as far as I know, he never played wing coming up.
Agreed 100%. I would not take Richards away from center, he's too important defensively there.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Agreed 100%. I would not take Richards away from center, he's too important defensively there.
The numbers are so heavily skewed towards the you cannot move him away from center it looks like a joke.

Not shockingly, in order, the QUALCOMP ranking for this club is: Gagne, Richards, Pronger, Carle, Krajicek, and Timonen. Carle and Krajicek are there because of their partners.

One thing that leaps out from these statistics is that Chris Pronger is...insanely good. Anyone disappointed in his play, needs to look at these stats: here.

The other thing to take away is that Mike Richards is doing heavy, heavy lifting for this team's forwards. Richards is 0.114, and the next closest forward is 0.052 (Briere).

Center's on this team (QUALCOMP - GAON/60)
Mike Richards (0.114 - 2.23)
Jeff Carter (0.045 - 2.30)
Claude Giroux (0.012 - 2.00)
Blair Betts (0.042 - 1.47)

Blair Betts is the best defensive center on this club, but Mike Richards is significantly better than either Carter or Giroux, IMO. If we could get his line scoring at all, it wouldn't even be debatable as far as who has been our best center (and this is while Carter is having a pretty good season despite people not realizing it).

Old
02-12-2010, 10:39 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Once he hits UFA, it wouldn't surprise me if he went out of his way to try and land here. He obviously has ties with the team and area, so I would be willing to bet he would take a competitive offer from Philly before thinking twice.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Hometown discount maybe when he is a UFA? Doubtful, but who can blame him? Gonna be getting a nice raise in the near future I'm sure.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Once he hits UFA, it wouldn't surprise me if he went out of his way to try and land here. He obviously has ties with the team and area, so I would be willing to bet he would take a competitive offer from Philly before thinking twice.
Thing is, I don't really see him testing the market that much.

I dunno, unless Anaheim hits a bad way and just isn't competitive when he's up for UFA, I can't see him turning down the very good money they'll undoubtedly keep offering him, so long as they're still a good team.

I just can't see Anaheim not talking with him mid-season in contract years, and unless they're significantly low-balling him or just cap-strapped, I don't see why he leaves unless he REALLY wanted to come to Philly.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
One thing that leaps out from these statistics is that Chris Pronger is...insanely good. Anyone disappointed in his play, needs to look at these stats: here.
Clearly the quality of competition has to be factored in if you're going to compare it to someone like Pronger, but it's pretty cool to see that JVR leads the team in +/- per60min (followed by Carle, Pronger, Carcillo and Betts).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Clearly the quality of competition has to be factored in if you're going to compare it to someone like Pronger, but it's pretty cool to see that JVR leads the team in +/- per60min.
Yeah, JVR has had a fantastic rookie season. They are certainly keeping him away from matchups that could expose him (smart), but he's doing his job against who he's out there against and putting up some points.

I really think he's going to be a very, very good player for us. He needs to get on the Jeff Carter bulk up plan a bit, and once he's got the stronger upper body he's going to be a dominant force.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hometown discount maybe when he is a UFA? Doubtful, but who can blame him? Gonna be getting a nice raise in the near future I'm sure.
The hometown discount would go to Anahiem, no? I always thought he was from Jersey, but by way of SoCal.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The hometown discount would go to Anahiem, no? I always thought he was from Jersey, but by way of SoCal.
I think he was Jersey -> SoCal -> Canada? With some time spent in Jersey throughout?

He was from all over the place, but definitely grew up a Flyer fan from what I understand. That being said, I would be shocked if Ryan leaves Anaheim. They're going to be getting cap space from people like Nieds, and Selanne to put towards keeping Ryan around a long time.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:

aw man i love RJ. that's badass.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
IrishSniper87

I would love Bobby Ryan here, price would be JVR though.

JVR was a Ranger fan growing up ...

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Slowbro

if it would cost jvr to get bobby ryan.. do it.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote