HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bobby Ryan eventually come to Philly? Maybe?

Old
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
if it would cost jvr to get bobby ryan.. do it.
Why?

When Bobby Ryan was 20 he had a good AHL season, and potted 10 points in 23 NHL games.

At age 20, JVR has 32 points in 55 NHL games.

Right now, JVR looks every bit the player Bobby Ryan is...just a bit younger.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why?

When Bobby Ryan was 20 he had a good AHL season, and potted 10 points in 23 NHL games.

At age 20, JVR has 32 points in 55 NHL games.

Right now, JVR looks every bit the player Bobby Ryan is...just a bit younger.
Seconded...Ryan comes here only by way of free agency, and even then it'll be hard because guys like Hartnell and Briere could still be around, and just about guaranteed spots in the top six.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Seconded...Ryan comes here only by way of free agency, and even then it'll be hard because guys like Hartnell and Briere could still be around, and just about guaranteed spots in the top six.
Bobby Ryan won't see UFA until Hartnell's deal is over. Ryan to Flyers would be incredible, especially at Hartnells expense.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Bobby Ryan won't see UFA until Hartnell's deal is over. Ryan to Flyers would be incredible, especially at Hartnells expense.
git 'er dun.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Ahh, I thought they were concurrent years.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont like Richards on the wing, but would love to see Ryan here, and also wouldnt mind Umberger back here as well. Although, I thought Umberger liked being where he was cause of his college ties?
Umberger never wanted to leave Philadelphia. He was only traded because Holmgren goofed up the cap and signed the wrong guys to large money. I don't even think Holmgren and Umberger's agent even exchanged numbers. The Umberger trade was all for not anyways. The only piece of that deal was used to mortgage the team's future for Pronger.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Flyers93

It'd be great to see Bobby in a Flyers uni someday.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Slowbro

i havent seen too much of JVR this year, but it seems bobby ryan has that star player ability.. something i am not sure if JVR possesses?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
i havent seen too much of JVR this year, but it seems bobby ryan has that star player ability.. something i am not sure if JVR possesses?

As I slowly lose faith in mankind...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, JVR has had a fantastic rookie season. They are certainly keeping him away from matchups that could expose him (smart), but he's doing his job against who he's out there against and putting up some points.

I really think he's going to be a very, very good player for us. He needs to get on the Jeff Carter bulk up plan a bit, and once he's got the stronger upper body he's going to be a dominant force.
He's already 200 pounds man. Something tells me his max will be in the high 220s. And you're right, he'll be unstoppable. Almost...gulp...Lindrosy.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
He's already 200 pounds man. Something tells me his max will be in the high 220s. And you're right, he'll be unstoppable. Almost...gulp...Lindrosy.
Not a chance. Lindros was a completely different beast. Lindros was already 240 pounds when he came into the league. He also had something that JVR absolutely does not have and that was a mean streak to go along with his skill. As much as I hate 88, I'll give the man his due - he was something else when he got mad and when he decided he was going to railroad people. I think it made him an even better player. As for JVR, he has nowhere near the physical game that Lindros had and doesn't even have anything that remotely resembles a mean streak. If anything, JVR might be a more skilled version of Mikael Renberg......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
JVR, to me, does not display even one tenth of the mean streak Lindros once had in him. Kid's very, very, very good...but I don't know if he quite has the will to just break his opponents and beat them in every way like pre-bobble-head Lindros did.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Not a chance. Lindros was a completely different beast. Lindros was already 240 pounds when he came into the league. He also had something that JVR absolutely does not have and that was a mean streak to go along with his skill. As much as I hate 88, I'll give the man his due - he was something else when he got mad and when he decided he was going to railroad people. I think it made him an even better player. As for JVR, he has nowhere near the physical game that Lindros had and doesn't even have anything that remotely resembles a mean streak. If anything, JVR might be a more skilled version of Mikael Renberg......
I like how he put it better.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

As much success as he is having in Anahiem, I think he's just hoping to put on a Flyers jersey in the future.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
JVR, to me, does not display even one tenth of the mean streak Lindros once had in him. Kid's very, very, very good...but I don't know if he quite has the will to just break his opponents and beat them in every way like pre-bobble-head Lindros did.
Yeah I went quite to far saying Lindros. That's why I gulped. I'd like him to be a poor-man's or watered down Lindros if you will.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I dont think anyone had th ephysical game lindros ahd. sych a shame that hsi parents were medlers and he wasnt man enough to be man when it came to his parents. He isnt the only one to blame though. Ther eis no other player i enjoyed watching as much as him. Complete domination. He would put up 150 poitns + every year right now how they call the game. no one would toucvh him

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:39 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
As much success as he is having in Anahiem, I think he's just hoping to put on a Flyers jersey in the future.
I dunno, I think he spent more time growing up and playing in SoCal than he did here.

I'm just not going to presume to know where he calls 'home.' One might assume he would like playing somewhere his parents could come watch, though. But we know what happens when we assume...

Old
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Can you imagine if we could somehow bring in the two players that actually want to be here to be in our lineup?

Umberger - Carter - Richards
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Ryan

It's not going to happen, but that might be just about unstoppable.
That'd be cool, but why the hell would you ever move Richards to the wing before Carter?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
But we know what happens when we assume...
It actually happens?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Clarke was supposedly trying like Hell to move up in the draft to have a shot at Ryan, but the asking prices were Carter and/or Richards, IIRC
I think you're getting Ryan confused with the asking price for Fleury back in 2004 (picks #11 and #24 to move up to #1)

Old
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

As I slowly lose faith in mankind...
Not to be an ass, but... You didn't have to facepalm the dude yo!

He simply stated that has hasn't seen JVR and then asked if JVR has that 'star' ability in him. Don't play it out like he said Ville Leino is the next coming of christ.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
Walked past him in the mall earlier in the season...he's INCREDIBLY slim. He's 200 lbs because he's so tall...he easily should reach 220s.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:24 AM
mm6492

If I went into NHL 10 and created a player, I would have Eric Lindros.

JvR is nice, but come on, Lindros was a generational talent. Never completely lived up to it due to having a pumpkin head and an inability to keep her head up. But he was incredible.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
If I went into NHL 10 and created a player, I would have Eric Lindros.

JvR is nice, but come on, Lindros was a generational talent. Never completely lived up to it due to having a pumpkin head and an inability to keep her head up. But he was incredible.
Yep, we'll likely never see another one like Lindros. He probably would've went down as the most complete player ever if not for his marshmallow brain.

Old
02-13-2010, 01:15 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What do you all think it would take to get him to philly?
We wont give anything for him. When he becomes a UFA he will want to sign here. Here is a Cherry Hill native and a highly known Flyers fan. He wants to be here.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote