HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade 2nd rounder (2011) for Dominic Moore Part II

Old
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We don't have to wait until that 2nd round player is drafted and retires to make a value judgement on this.

Based on what we know about Moore and the value that we've gotten out of 2nd round picks in the past, this is a bad trade.

No, it's not the end of the world if it's just an isolated move. My worry is that it's the start of a trend because really... this move didn't make a whole lot of sense for us.
Don't be ridiculous, you know that's not what I meant.

So you're making an assumption based on things that happened in the past? Wouldn't it make more sense to at least give the trade sometime to see if it's a positive or a negative?

I know you long for the day that the Habs perform a true rebuild. But what's done is done, let's at least see how it goes before ripping it apart.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
la25ecoupe

I'd all be for it if he can play on PK (penalty kill) instead of Plek and Gomez..

keep Plek fresh please. and please, play Laps on PK and play Serge on PP..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
InglewoodJack

Ugh. No bigger trades, this trade now sucks and is confusing.
Oh well, it's still minor, and people are reacting worse than the Gomez trade.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I'd all be for it if he can play on PK (penalty kill) instead of Plek and Gomez..

keep Plek fresh please. and please, play Laps on PK and play Serge on PP..
Habs have better PP guys than Sergei (Sergei has been great off the rush, but not so much in zone control setup situations) and they are effective, it's good he's learning to be a complete player.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

I can't even imagine how these boards are going to be if we ever get a player of Ovechkin or Crosby's caliber if a player like Moore gets us two threads...

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Axeshun

I was just listening to Pierre McGuire on team 990 and he said multiple times that the Habs overpaid for Moore.

"I like Dominic but they just gave up too much"..

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Don't be ridiculous, you know that's not what I meant.

So you're making an assumption based on things that happened in the past? Wouldn't it make more sense to at least give the trade sometime to see if it's a positive or a negative?

I know you long for the day that the Habs perform a true rebuild. But what's done is done, let's at least see how it goes before ripping it apart.
question, would you be taking the same line regardless of what we gave up?

for example, had it been a 1st round pick, would you still be saying "let's wait and see"?

and then I suppose the other question is "How long do you wait to see?"

if we wait long enough, we could see that the 2nd pick they end up with is a total bust and never plays a game in the NHL... would that make this a good trade in your eyes?

or conversely, the pick could turn into a Patrice Bergeron or Shea Weber... would that make it a bad trade?

I think both of those cases involves way too much hindsight to be fair, either way.

So really, with Draft picks, it is all about the value, right now.

Is/Was Dominic Moore, UFA to-be, struggling through one of his worst seasons as a pro, worth a 2nd round pick to a team that, with or without him, is a borderline playoff team?

you don't have to "wait and see" to find the answer to that one (especially since Buffalo, a team in a similar position as us a year ago - and arguably better in terms of having much more flexibility to re-sign Moore if he panned out well- gave up the same asset to get the same player, with the KEY difference being that said player was in the midst of a career year, vs in being in the midst of a career worst year).

philosophically, it makes more sense if one ascribes to the "make the playoffs no matter what" idea, but otherwise it's pretty clearly a bad deal.

and it is pretty clear that this board is more or less split between the idea that this franchise should just keep trucking along, business as usual, and those who feel that the way we've been doing things (and the results that have followed) aren't good enough.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeshun View Post
I was just listening to Pierre McGuire on team 990 and he said multiple times that the Habs overpaid for Moore.

thats what most of us here said right for the minute it was announced.

i got NO problem with Moore.....it's what PG decided to pay.....
..i mean it's about making a FIRST IMPRESSION right?
your the new GM , you want to show the fans "hey " look i got this under control, and you come out with that???

isnt the way to wins fans trust,overpaying for this type of asset.

most fans arent that dumb in this market to over loook it . Welcome to MONTREAL this isnt Anaheim or Ottawa in the early 1990's.

everything here is loooked at and fans know what a good move is and what a bad move is........

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Axeshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post

your the new GM , you want to show the fans "hey " look i got this under control, and you come out with that???

most fans arent that dumb in this market to over loook it . Welcome to MONTREAL this isnt Anaheim or Ottawa in the early 1990's.

everything here is loooked at and fans know what a good move is and what a bad move is........

Yeah I know, that's why I posted it. Seems like the majority of us (including so called experts) all feel the same way about this trade.

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
I can't even imagine how these boards are going to be if we ever get a player of Ovechkin or Crosby's caliber if a player like Moore gets us two threads...
I know that we opened 3 threads about a player that never was here and never was interested in coming so....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
question, would you be taking the same line regardless of what we gave up?

for example, had it been a 1st round pick, would you still be saying "let's wait and see"?
There's a huge difference between a 1st rounder and a 2nd.
Is Moore worth a 2nd??..Many don't seem to believe so.
a 3rd??..Maybe..etc..

H10H isn't saying he's worth it or not. Just comes down to us adding some depth for the 3rd line. We needed some, and that's why we went after Moore. Now, individually, I don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick.
But if (far fetched) we end up making the POs, and go through to Conference Finals with Moore playing a very important checking role, would he have been worth that pick???..

What's done is done, let's hope Moore can play well here. Now, we have to wait to see how well/poor he'll perform in order to truly evaluate this trade.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't think that anyone with a brain don't know that Moore is an upgrade over whatever we have. That's not the question. The talk is all about the price paid.

Can't wait to read "Where are the haters now" after he scores his 1st goal tonight.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

You know, after having awhile to think about this...I still hate the trade.

I don't hate Moore, he's just simply not worth a 2nd round pick. Especially when you consider he'll be a UFA this summer.

Even in a crappy draft year, a 2nd is too much IMO.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't think that anyone with a brain don't know that Moore is an upgrade over whatever we have. That's not the question. The talk is all about the price paid.

Can't wait to read "Where are the haters now" after he scores his 1st goal tonight.
sad part is he says were done.No more deals.to tight to cap..

geez eh....

blows a second rounder and the master piece.

Moore is what will send us over the top in the playoffs.

JOKE

Old
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Let's say that come July we let Metropolit go, add his salary to Moore's and retain him, is he worth a second then?

Here's my reasoning (in point form):

-Metropolit isn't a third line center
-Moore is
-if Moore plays so well that he gets an offer we can't match with their two salaries then he must have played well enough to have been worth a second round pick
-if Moore isn't that great but gets the job done, we have a better chance of signing him before July 1st (hopefully signing in Florida showed him something).

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Ugh. No bigger trades, this trade now sucks and is confusing.
Oh well, it's still minor, and people are reacting worse than the Gomez trade.
2nd round pick in 2011 > Higgins

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Let's say that come July we let Metropolit go, add his salary to Moore's and retain him, is he worth a second then?

-Moore is
-if Moore plays so well that he gets an offer we can't match with their two salaries then he must have played well enough to have been worth a second round pick
-if Moore isn't that great but gets the job done, we have a better chance of signing him before July 1st (hopefully signing in Florida showed him something).
in the entire POOL of UFA this summer there isnt one guy equal to Moore?? to be had for free? there is no way to defend it ....if this is his only move (and it sounds like it is) , adding just Moore and over paying for him is even more mind blowing than i can imagine .

Add Moore were ready to go to playoffs.........huh.....

What more concerning is to hear your GM use "to tight o cap" but we liked alot of other players..LIKE WTH? unacceptable.....

Old
02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Easy to say when you're on the outside, Pierre.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Seeing as Cullen went for a 2nd (2010 no less) AND a serviceable d-man in Picard...i've come to grips with the fact we paid a 2nd for Moore

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Seeing as Cullen went for a 2nd AND a serviceable d-man in Picard...i've come to grips with the fact we paid a 2nd for Moore
Moore has been great so far. I know its only one period, but I like what I see.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Seeing as Cullen went for a 2nd (2010 no less) AND a serviceable d-man in Picard...i've come to grips with the fact we paid a 2nd for Moore
Sen fans were laughing at losing Picard; and Moore looks no different than Darche out there.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:19 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post

-Moore is
Metro is Moses

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

They have to salvage the season despite a spate of injuries. Moore can be of use. In fact, he's already chipped in a goal. Besides, Pierre, it was a 2011 pick and it wasn't a first rounder, so hold your water until you can reach the facilities.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Moore should play center ahead of Metropolit, much better defensively and on faceoffs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post

I don't think so. Most fans screamed bloody murder when Latendresse was traded. They had no idea how good Pouliot is. They undervalue Metropolit. They didn't know how bad the Laraque signing was. They exaggerate SKost's potential. They were slow to realize that O'Byrne was gradually turning into a good player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote