HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen to OTT for 2nd and Picard

Old
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Egil

vCash: 500
Picard is a wierd player. He is like a bipolar defenseman, where half the games he looks good and helps the team alot, and the other half of the games he is beyond terrible and helps the other team alot, and he is rarely mediocre. I don't think he is going to get it together (as I think these issues stem from the mental, not physical side of the game), and he was really getting in the way of our roster in Ottawa.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
geehaad

Very happy that Cullen is going to a team that most of us Hurricanes fans can cheer for!

Cullen is pretty much the only player that I've ever had a man-crush for, so I hope that he and JR can work out a reasonable deal for him to come back next year. I just don't see the Canes as having a #2 center in their stable ready for next year, and I think Sutter and Cullen can function together as two 2.5 centers rather than having a #2 and a #3. Seems to work for the team, at least.

Anyway, Picard seems like a decent return, even if he's already been traded 3 times at age 24...but then again, so had Gleason when he arrived in Raleigh.

The Hockey's Future writeup on him

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:18 AM
owa

I wouldn't worry about Picard. I think he'll enjoy playing in Carolina.

If I were Carolina, I'd only be worried if they got Campoli instead of Picard. Campoli is the one that really blows. Picard just sometimes frustrates us.

People make Picard sound worse then he is because he can be so great one game and kind of retarded in the next. He's an NHL player though and is pretty young.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
So how should Ottawa feel about Cullen? You guys seem pretty happy with the deal, is that because he's bad? :/
We're happy because we'd figured only a 2nd rounder for Cullen until very recently, and Picard seems like a decent prospect addition to the deal.

And I'm also happy that he went to Ottawa...

Old
02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Dean Vernon

As a sens fan I think its a great trade for both teams.

Carolina gets a 2nd, along with a cheap young rfa dman with room to improve.

Picard gets a lot of **** in Ottawa because he is a streaky player. When he is on his game he looks to be a top 4 dman, but when he is off you wonder if he could even make an ahl team.

He is decent on the PP and can play surprisingly physical when he is on his game. His main issues are mental, like a lot of young dmen he can make some bad decisions on the ice, leading to horribly timed turnovers. He is not an exceptional skater / puck mover but is adequate in those areas. Depending on what Picard is present he is either solid defensively or awful.

But considering his contract, and a change of scenery imo he is a solid pickup for Carolina, with minimul risk due to the fact that he is an rfa this summer along with the 2nd also received in the deal.

EDIT: I am also glad he went to an organization like Carolina, who seem to treat their players well. Like Corvo I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a better player for the Hurricanes than he was in Ottawa.

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
Picard is a wierd player. He is like a bipolar defenseman, where half the games he looks good and helps the team alot, and the other half of the games he is beyond terrible and helps the other team alot, and he is rarely mediocre. I don't think he is going to get it together (as I think these issues stem from the mental, not physical side of the game), and he was really getting in the way of our roster in Ottawa.
Sounds like Corvo.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

"Picard was brutal..."

Yeah, now i'm sure this is one of this special Jimmy boy moves.
Corvo was brutal, Sammy was, so many "crap" we acquired don't works for other team... i'm not say Picard will be first pairing #2 defenseman but i think he can be effective .

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AD Skinner

ROBOT HOUSE!

Nice.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
We're happy because we'd figured only a 2nd rounder for Cullen until very recently, and Picard seems like a decent prospect addition to the deal.

And I'm also happy that he went to Ottawa...
Yeah the Moore trade kind of nixed the whole 2nd for Cullen idea.

So is he a good player? Someone give me a scouting report!

Old
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
geehaad

To the Ottawa fans: who was Picard paired with, mainly?

Old
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

do we have any idea yet which 2nd round pick is part of this deal?

Edit:RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has traded center Matt Cullen to the Ottawa Senators. In exchange for Cullen, the Hurricanes will receive defenseman Alexandre Picard and Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

It is Ottawa's own.

02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Incubation

Send a message via MSN to Incubation
We have 3 2nd. We'll see what we get for Whitney and maybe Corvo. I'd like to have another first round along our own, can you imagine two top 10/15 in this year draft?And one of that choice will be pretty high! Hope JR can do that.

Incubation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Pangu

As a Sens fan, the best part of this deal for me is to be rid of Picard. He has his strengths, including being fairly strong in the offensive zone, fairly physical and he used to be pretty good at one on one situations. But, they don't compensate for his weaknesses. He is a terrible puck mover outside of the offensive zone and is rarely able to get the puck out of his own zone without giving it to the other team. He has had a horrid time on 2 on 1s and is mediocre in defensive coverage. He is fairly slow, which makes for alot of those issues.

Maybe he will get some brains in Carolina, but here in Ottawa he was not an NHL-quality Dman. It says something that alot of the Sens base is happy not to have him play for the Sens anymore when he was being used as a seventh Dman. Even that was too much for him here. Anyways, I like Carolina, so hopefully you will have better luck with him.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
From Chip,

Quote:
"This is a sad day for us," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "Matt has meant a lot to the organization and we wish him well. Maybe we can sign him back."

Cuilen will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Rutherford called Picard a good, young defenseman who could "become a regular part of the Hurricanes' blue line."

It won't take long for Cullen to return to the RBC Center. The Canes face the Senators on March 4 in their first home game after the Olympic break.
Really sounds like JR may bring Cully back. Of course, if things go well in Ottawa Cullen may just stay, you never know.

Definitely looking forward to the Sens/Canes game March 4th and really looking forward to cheering on our former players come playoff time.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

These descriptions of 'brutal' are ridiculous... Yes he has regressed a little mentally this year and they see 'brutal' mistakes... But, the guy has also played very well a number of times too... I think some people expect top pairing play from a 3-4 or 5-6... I think he will be very nice for us in our second pairing and will improve... If he can cut his brain farts in half, then we got a steal...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
To the Ottawa fans: who was Picard paired with, mainly?
When he wasnt a healthy scratch he was paired with Carkner normally

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Alexandre "Joe Corvo" Picard

lol

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Someone give me a scouting report!
As I said earlier, I have a man-crush for him, so I might not be the best source. Our resident cynics think he is ECHL material, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Cullen is a do-anything player, and does it above-average. You need someone on the half-boards on your PP? You need a penalty killer? A left wing? Someone who will gel on any line he's inserted into? Very versatile.

He's fast as hell and a very smart player. He's got above-average puck handling skills and a very quick shot. He's about average in the physical dept, and is a hair above average on faceoffs. It was his play on the PK that finally removed Brind'Amour from the PK unit. Nearly every SH goal in the past two years is because of Cullen.

This group wouldn't be half as excited about this trade if we didn't believe the following:

1) The Canes are getting something good in return
2) The Canes have a good shot at resigning him over the summer
3) He isn't going to Buffalo (EDIT: whoops...definitely needed to correct that!)

No worries Ottawa fans...you'll love him.

Last edited by geehaad: 02-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...player.cgi?424

Basically he's a fairly fast playmaking center with good two-way skills. He can play all 3 forward positions and is a regular for us on the point of our PP. He's not a top end offensive guy but he's good enough that he instantly would make a third line much more dangerous then it already might be.

As Geehaad mentioned, I think part of the reason Canes fans are happy is that there's probably a good chance that we can bring him back in the offseason and that he's going to a team we can actually pull for in the playoffs.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
geehaad

I wonder if this means that JR would no longer be interested in the deal with LA that was returning Teubert. Does JR think he's filled that need with Picard? Based on the sound of things from Ottawa fans, I hope not. I mean, it may work out, but the Hurricanes D corps sucks as it is, so bringing in a young Dman that very well may be sitting on the fringe isn't satisfying my desire to overhaul the D.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:

You'll be happy with Cullen in OTT he's like a combination of Duct tape and Bacon. Fixes any problem and makes everything better. He really is a jack of all trades. He can play all 3 forward positions. Is a good face-off man. Has a great point shot so you can use him there on the PP as well. He has a great shot in general. Quick snappy release and can zing it from the top of the circles and beat any goalie. He's got good speed but he is getting older so he's not quite like lighting out there, but he is quick. He's a really imaginative player and a good dangler and passer. He's also pretty good defensively so you really can plug him into any situation and he'll be fine.

So with all those skills he should be a superstar right? Well, he's fairly streaky. It's not that he disappears for long stretches or anything but he can get snake bitten in a big way. Like having the goalie lying flat on his back and not being able to elevate the puck more than a foot to put it in a wide open net. He's injury prone. His skillset is actually closer to a 50-60 point player but he's usually good for 10-15 games missed. He's been healthy this year so that's a plus. He's not really physical. I mean, he's not a pansy or anything, but that's just not his game. He's feisty, gritty... but physically dominating he is not.

Anyway, that's a lot. Don't think I really missed anything but maybe some others can add on. Oh yeah, and he's got some pretty solid shootout skills too.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
"Picard was brutal..."

Yeah, now i'm sure this is one of this special Jimmy boy moves.
Corvo was brutal, Sammy was, so many "crap" we acquired don't works for other team... i'm not say Picard will be first pairing #2 defenseman but i think he can be effective .
I'm not saying he can't be effective. I've SEEN him be effective. Maybe he needs a change of scenery the way that Corvo did. Who knows. I'm just glad I don't have to watch him anymore.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
When he wasnt a healthy scratch he was paired with Carkner normally
And I can assure everyone, Carkner is awesome!

Quote:
As I said earlier, I have a man-crush for him, so I might not be the best source. Our resident cynics think he is ECHL material, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Cullen is a do-anything player, and does it above-average. You need someone on the half-boards on your PP? You need a penalty killer? A left wing? Someone who will gel on any line he's inserted into? Very versatile.

He's fast as hell and a very smart player. He's got above-average puck handling skills and a very quick shot. He's about average in the physical dept, and is a hair above average on faceoffs. It was his play on the PK that finally removed Brind'Amour from the PK unit. Nearly every SH goal in the past two years is because of Cullen.

This group wouldn't be half as excited about this trade if we didn't believe the following:

1) The Canes are getting something good in return
2) The Canes have a good shot at resigning him over the summer
3) He was going to Buffalo

No worries Ottawa fans...you'll love him.
Sounds good. I think he'll fit right in. Ottawa's been building their team through a lot of depth up front. It actually reminds me of how Carolina won a cup... Lots of centers and forward depth players that weren't just good for one thing, but were pretty versatile. Maybe that's not how you guys saw the cup win, but that was always how I viewed it. I thought it was genius.

Anyway, I'm very curious now, what's the deal with hating Buffalo? Don't get me wrong, I hate them as well, but why would Carolina fans hate them?

And in conclusion, Picard looks best when he's with a guy who can play defense. If he's allowed to play his game, you'll get good plays out of him. He's fast and can move the puck. He's not afraid ot hitting (alas Wade Redden) but he's not too imposing along the boards. Plus Ottawa fans do this thing where one or two defensemen are always **** on. Usually it's deserved, but sometimes it's blown our of proportion. That's what is happening here haha.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Pangu

Picard is no Corvo.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote