HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Cullen to OTT for 2nd and Picard

Old
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I'd be willing to think JR would still grab Teubert if he could, or any young defenceman for that matter. We're in need of defenceman and JR loves the young defenceman who are either former 1st round picks, partially developed, have shown strides in the NHL and almost most of all, have some potential there whether it's obvious or a little bit hidden. They're also cheap and can potentially be here for a good chunk of time. --- A typical Jimmy Rutherford defenceman.

I'd say this is how JR plans on re-tooling our defence.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Dean Vernon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
These descriptions of 'brutal' are ridiculous... Yes he has regressed a little mentally this year and they see 'brutal' mistakes... But, the guy has also played very well a number of times too... I think some people expect top pairing play from a 3-4 or 5-6... I think he will be very nice for us in our second pairing and will improve... If he can cut his brain farts in half, then we got a steal...
I wouldn't worry about sens fans calling him 'brutal', it often happens after a trade.

He is a cheap dman who you should be able to resign for less than a million $. Who has at times played PP, PK, ES for Ottawa along with being a healthy scratch (mainly due to the emergence of Karlsson)

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:40 AM
owa

I appreciate all the responses to the scouting question. Thanks a lot. It was very insightful.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Vernon View Post
I wouldn't worry about sens fans calling him 'brutal', it often happens after a trade.
It happened before the trade, too. And not just by me. As recently as last night, even.

Quote:
These descriptions of 'brutal' are ridiculous... Yes he has regressed a little mentally this year and they see 'brutal' mistakes... But, the guy has also played very well a number of times too... I think some people expect top pairing play from a 3-4 or 5-6... I think he will be very nice for us in our second pairing and will improve... If he can cut his brain farts in half, then we got a steal...
I think that's the problem we have with him here in Ottawa. His bad play outshines his good play. There have been games when he's been very effective. For us, though, there just haven't been enough of them. Very inconsistent play. But, who knows. A change of scenery might help him out. Wouldn't be the first time we've sent someone to you guys and seen them thrive.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
Anyway, I'm very curious now, what's the deal with hating Buffalo? Don't get me wrong, I hate them as well, but why would Carolina fans hate them?
Goes back to 2006 Conference Finals. Putting it mildly, our fan base and there's don't see eye to eye. Added to that, lots of transplanted Slugs fans live down here and hence there are tons of Slug fans at all the home Canes/Slugs games. Too much alcohol in a Slugs fan= not much love from Canes fans.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
If you think you're getting another Joe Corvo you are going to be very VERY disapointed

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I wonder if this means that JR would no longer be interested in the deal with LA that was returning Teubert. Does JR think he's filled that need with Picard? Based on the sound of things from Ottawa fans, I hope not. I mean, it may work out, but the Hurricanes D corps sucks as it is, so bringing in a young Dman that very well may be sitting on the fringe isn't satisfying my desire to overhaul the D.
Nah I think Teubert is still in play if Whitney wants to go to LA. That part is the tricky side of the equation. Gare Joyce (whos word I take right on par with McKenzie's) was the one that semi-leaked that the Canes were extremely high on Teubert in 08 in a mock that he did. JR typically doesn't sour on guys too fast and Teubert has done nothing to lower his stock. If Ray were to say "I've changed my mind, I'll go to LA strictly as a rental" on the 3rd JR would still do that deal in a heartbeat.

If anything I would say this deal makes the off chance that we were going to bring Babchuk back from the KHL now look like a near impossibility, not that it was going to happen in the first place. We would have to completely strike out in free agency with every single top 4 guy we go after for it to happen.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I think there's a good chance we trade Babchuk's rights before the deadline.

02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
source

LOL @ some of you thinking he can be a top4 defenceman. He's a below-average bottom-pairing D-man with the potential to be a solid bottom-pairing D-man.

His first pass is nothing special (he likes to fire the puck up the boards), his shot is very good (when he gets a lane to fire it), and his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired.

source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
If you think you're getting another Joe Corvo you are going to be very VERY disapointed
We get it, you don't like him... I am trusting the non-OTT fans on this one and my own eyes... At times players get in the dog house of fans and they never get out... Like I said, if cuts down on the mental mistakes a little as he gets older, he will be a nice player... Most of the times in trades, you want to sell high and buy low... We did that... We get a 2nd AND a player that has an upside and a chance to improve... If he doesn't he'll spend a year on our bottom pair and we'll move on... Low Risk High Reward pick up... That's exactly what you want when trading UFAs along with picks

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Obviously Sens fans don't know how this thing works here. Calm down and give the Picard kid some months.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Vernon View Post

He is a cheap dman who you should be able to resign for less than a million $. Who has at times played PP, PK, ES for Ottawa along with being a healthy scratch (mainly due to the emergence of Karlsson)
Alot of us wanted Lee up and Picard waived.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

When Picard is on his game, he's fine. When he's off, he's really off. I hope he does well for you guys and I hope that this Ottawa-Carolina deal works out better for us than the last one did.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
To the Ottawa fans: who was Picard paired with, mainly?
The press box.

Besides that, mainly Matt Carkner, occasionally Kuba.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Alot of us wanted Lee up and Picard waived.
That's BS.

Everyone knows it's Campoli waived and Lee up.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
And I can assure everyone, Carkner is awesome!

Sounds good. I think he'll fit right in. Ottawa's been building their team through a lot of depth up front. It actually reminds me of how Carolina won a cup... Lots of centers and forward depth players that weren't just good for one thing, but were pretty versatile. Maybe that's not how you guys saw the cup win, but that was always how I viewed it. I thought it was genius.
I think that's a pretty good parallel. You guys have more top end wingers then that team did, but the principle is essentially the same. No one true superstar player carying the team (I mean we had Staal/Brindy and you guys have Spezza/Alfy) but a team that's more built on wearing the other team down in wave after wave of offense. Try to focus on shutting down the Staal line and the Brindy line would burn you, focus on Brindy and Staal would burn you, if you have the defense to focus on both the Doug Weight line would burn you. Hopefully it works out to the same result for you guys.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
JR's handled this deadline season well so far. Let's hope it continues.

I'm not that high on Picard, but I'd be fine with Cullen just for a 2nd. So I can't say I mind this at all..

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

ATOI for Ottawa defensemen:

Filip Kuba 23:13
Chris Phillips 22:21
Anton Volchenkov 20:44
Alexandre Picard 19:03
Erik Karlsson 18:59
Chris Campoli 17:23
Matt Carkner 17:13
Brian Lee 15:39

Obviously this speaks nothing to how great or terrible Picard may be, but what it does say is that somebody has to be exaggerating when they say he spends all his time in the press box or on the 3rd pairing with limited minutes.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hyena

Good deal. I'm glad to see Matty go to a team that I can cheer for in the playoffs.

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Expert
Registered Expert

Picard isn't half as bad as some are saying. A lot of Sens fans are also big Brian Lee fans, and think he should have been in the NHL all season. They seem to hold grudges over whoever the Sens third pairing d-men are because of this (some Sens fans were livid Matt Carkner made the team over Lee. His strong play quickly shut them up).

He's young and inconsistent. He's looked great some games, pretty bad in others. He's not a bad player, he's just prone to brain cramps. He has a great shot, but doesn't seem to know quite how to use it yet.

I'm not sad at all to see him go, but he's not a bad player by any stretch, and I don't know why anyone would be happy he's gone.

Hope he works out for you and Cullen for us.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I'm confused... Sens fans are thrilled to be rid of Picard and we are thrilled to have him??? Something doesn't add up...
Ottawa fans don't appreciate offensive talent enough IMO , Picard is a good player with good instincts and a good shot. You won't see 50 feet tape to tape passes or Picard rushing with the puck like Joe Corvo , but if you want a trigger man from the point he can do a solid job. Add to that the pressure there is playing for a Canadian team and getting to a more relaxed market where he won't be booed if he coughs the puck two times at the blueline or misses an assignment could do wonders for him.
Got to tell you that I cheered hard for the Canes and Eaves last season and I always do when the Canes are in . I hope this deal works for both of our teams

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Chrispy

Like daikan, I think Picard is a low-risk, high-reward acquisition. Another addition to the Island of Misfit Toys. Getting him along with the second is a good deal. The contract is inexpensive, and he's still tied to the franchise for a couple more years.

BTW, the trade is up on the official website, and it's officially the 2010 2nd round pick. I was wondering for a bit, but it's good to see it's this year's pick.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Dean Vernon

A lot of Ottawa fans did want Picard waived well before this trade. He can be frustrating to watch but he does have some upside and is signed for cheap and should resign for cheap.

I just hate when after a trade fans flood the boards of the team "player x" was traded to and proceeds to tell them how awful he is and so on, without mentioning any possible positives.

Picard can be brutal but when he is on he can be solid along with putting up some decent points. The key for him will be to find some consistency.

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Egil

Quote:
We get it, you don't like him... I am trusting the non-OTT fans on this one and my own eyes... At times players get in the dog house of fans and they never get out... Like I said, if cuts down on the mental mistakes a little as he gets older, he will be a nice player... Most of the times in trades, you want to sell high and buy low... We did that... We get a 2nd AND a player that has an upside and a chance to improve... If he doesn't he'll spend a year on our bottom pair and we'll move on... Low Risk High Reward pick up... That's exactly what you want when trading UFAs along with picks
So this is the correct perspective, not the top 4 guy or like Corvo. Corvo, for his faults, even in his bad games still did obviously good things. Picard on his good games is your typical nothing flashy but pretty solid guy, not a flashy offensive dynamo like Corvo. And Picard's bad games are just unbelievably bad.

I would also ignore what Owa is saying as the coaching staff pretty clearly preferred Campoli (who is nothing exceptional either) over Picard as Picard was a healthy scratch and Campoli was not over the past 20 or so games. Both of them are also lower than Carkner, who before now was a career AHLer.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Cullen on NHL Live right now.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote