HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen to OTT for 2nd and Picard

Old
02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

vCash: 500
Here's a scouting report I wrote at the beginning of the season. So it isn't colored by anything regarding the trade. I also try to be as unbiased as possible in these reports, seeing as they are an annual thing I like to do. Esp. because I'm an acknowledge Picard hater.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=686473

Alexandre Picard

Strengths
  • Good offensive instincts
  • Can QB the PP
  • Great shot from the point, with the ability to get it through traffic on net
Weaknesses
  • Can get out muscled in the defensive zone by physical forwards
  • Has problems with the puck when pressured
  • Sometimes makes stupid decisions, especially in the defensive zone.

General Comments: Has all the tools top 4 offensive defenseman. However, needs to work on his defensive coverage, and make better decisions.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Cullen on NHL Live right now.
I would be really appreciative if you could give me an update on what he says.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

He was only on really briefly. Just the same old stuff players say. Sad to leave Raleigh, but excited to go to Ottawa who is playing so well. He also pointed out he doesn't know anyone on the Sens.

Immediately after he got off the phone, they accidentally broke the arm off the Cam Ward bobblehead in the studio. I'm not sure that was a good omen...

02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
ATOI for Ottawa defensemen:

Filip Kuba 23:13
Chris Phillips 22:21
Anton Volchenkov 20:44
Alexandre Picard 19:03
Erik Karlsson 18:59
Chris Campoli 17:23
Matt Carkner 17:13
Brian Lee 15:39

Obviously this speaks nothing to how great or terrible Picard may be, but what it does say is that somebody has to be exaggerating when they say he spends all his time in the press box or on the 3rd pairing with limited minutes.
He has spent alot of time in the press box. He was hurt for 4 games and has been a scratch for 12, most of which have come while we have had the most success in the past month. When he plays, he tends to play on the 2nd PP unit (which with our results on the PP is pretty meh) and as the 4th D on the PK, so his avg minutes are ok.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Chrispy

Ottawa has reportedly put Cheechoo on waivers to help make space for this deal.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Well looks like no Lee for us

Well, I'm very happy with this deal and hope we can get another couple in before the trade deadline.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Ottawa has reportedly put Cheechoo on waivers to help make space for this deal.
Crazy stuff. At 25 scores 56 goals and wins Rocket Richard. At 29 waived by Ottawa.

The power of Joe Thornton.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:15 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Poor Cheechoo. Such a great guy...

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:29 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I'm confused... Sens fans are thrilled to be rid of Picard and we are thrilled to have him??? Something doesn't add up...
Picard did not fit in well with ottawa he was not awful but he is not a top 4.He maybe be ok or even good with the canes just don't get to excited yet.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
LOL @ some of you thinking he can be a top4 defenceman. He's a below-average bottom-pairing D-man with the potential to be a solid bottom-pairing D-man.

His first pass is nothing special (he likes to fire the puck up the boards), his shot is very good (when he gets a lane to fire it), and his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't think anyone is under the illusion he would be a league-wide legit Top 4, but the blueline here is constructed differently that most other places. By NHL standards, Wallin is a 5 at the very best. He was used as par of a shut-down pair with Gleason a good part of this year and for much of the season a couple of years ago.

Or for another example, did you think bottom-pairing Joe Corvo could be used in a shut-down role based on his play in Ottawa? No, and that's not to say Picard is nearly as developed as Corvo was at the time but the point is that the Canes routinely build a D corps of guys who at best NHL middle pairs and mostly 5-6 guys. Look no further than the fact that Babchuk, who some have compared Picard's D to, played most of last year in the middle pair here.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Picard can definitely be a frustrating player to watch. In Ottawa he would have a good night adding 2-3 assists, then the next 4-5 nights be the cause of a lot of goals against.

Don't have high expectations for him as it will lead to disappointment. For every good game he does have, there will be 4-5 steady games that will make you say "WTF" when he's handling the puck in his zone, or gets caught pinching in that results in an odd man rush going back.

Obviously the 2nd round pick for Cullen was the deal itself. Picard can be resigned for cheap, and be used as depth like we've done.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Just as a note to Carolina fans, this was Cullen for a 2nd. Picard is one of the worst defensemen that Ottawa has had in recent years, and I actually liked Corvo. He's a puck moving defenseman that can't really....move...the puck. Occasionally he'll make a great pass, but more often than not its a give-away and he can't handle any half decent forward.

Be glad that this draft is supposedly deep..

Sting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I'm confused... Sens fans are thrilled to be rid of Picard and we are thrilled to have him??? Something doesn't add up...
There is a very vocal group of Picard bashers that populate the Sens board. Picard is not without his shortcomings, but he has also contributed to the team's success as well, with some strong play at times this season. The haters only see what they want to see.

Because of this trade, the vocal Picard Haters are out in force .... celebrating. But, not all Sens fans ( of which I am one ) are of the same ilk. And not all of us are 12 either.

It's a decent trade for both teams.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Just as a note to Carolina fans, this was Cullen for a 2nd. Picard is one of the worst defensemen that Ottawa has had in recent years, and I actually liked Corvo. He's a puck moving defenseman that can't really....move...the puck. Occasionally he'll make a great pass, but more often than not its a give-away and he can't handle any half decent forward.

Be glad that this draft is supposedly deep..
Thank you for telling us this; it has not been said before.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
There is a very vocal group of Picard bashers that populate the Sens board. Picard is not without his shortcomings, but he has also contributed to the team's success as well, with some strong play at times this season. The haters only see what they want to see.

Because of this trade, the vocal Picard Haters are out in force .... celebrating. But, not all Sens fans ( of which I am one ) are of the same ilk. And not all of us are 12 either.

Couldn't agree more.

Please note that the sens fans ranting about brutal Picard is in this thread annoy us just as much on the sens board.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post

Understood. A few weeks ago, the thought was we'd get a 2nd round pick for Cullen. If Picard works out, then great. If not, no big deal.

There are countless cases where players aren't liked by fans on 1 team and do ok on another...some examples from the Canes over the past few years: Corvo from Ottawa, Jokinen from Tampa, Samsonov from Chicago, etc..

I'm not saying Picard will work out and am not disagreeing with Ottawa fans that he hasn't been good this year, just saying that you can't always tell how things will work out.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
msgtcody

Pitkanen, Corvo, Samsonov, Alberts, and now Picard. All referred to as brutal by their previous teams and got to come to Carolina for a second chance. Something about Carolina lets players find their niche and fit in where they need to be. All of those guys have their moments, do stupid things, and have bad games but they are also improved players from their previous teams. Picard will be given a chance to succeed and be put in the best situation to help him do so. If he doesn't work out then Carolina got a 2nd round pick for Cullen and thats fine but right now Carolina has a 2nd round pick and a potentially pretty good young defenseman.

msgtcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I hate how Ottawa treats their players on the way out of town. It's a disgrace. I hope Picard finds his way here simply to make a few of them eat crow for all this baseless attacking they're doing.

I don't know how you can expect a kid that has been traded as much as Picard has been to really grasp a system all the way anyways. Hopefully we'll be able to provide some stability for him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Corvo was a good player, and I liked him in Ottawa. Just don't like players who request trades period. I know the Ottawa media can be a little overwhelming at times, as every Canadian market is, just don't like players who don't honor their contracts.

As for Picard, maybe all he needs is a change of scenery to get going.. or maybe the system your coach preaches is more suitable for him. I wish him the best of luck in Carolina.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I am hoping Tom Rowe will be able to whip the best out of Picard and develop him nicely.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
bleedgreen

ottawa's own pick makes this trade good on its own. i expected a 2nd plus, but had no idea what that plus could be. picard is a standard kinda jr guy, could be just hitting his stride but has a bunch of question marks about him. im concerned about the comments he is knocked off the puck easy, we have enough of that - but jr loves his "puck moving" types and obviusly once we are past the deadline there is a chance he plays a ton of minutes to start working through whatever his problems are under no pressure.

honestly, if he sucks and we get a top 3 pick partially because of him, this thrade helps us out two-fold. if he plays well, it does as well. all e wanted was a good pick and we got one plus a player at a position we need. good enough.

lol at people thinking poni is as good as cullen. a scrappy winger with decent touch over a center like cullen? we'll see what he brings back but i think cullen is a significantly better player.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Hell man, some people were thinking Poni is better then WHITNEY, yet alone Cullen. Poni has around a 50% shot at getting the same kind of package as Cullen just did, but he will not get better IMO. Whitney on the other hand is on another level compared to any rental this year not named Kovalchuk.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

From Chip's write-up on Cullen,

Quote:
Rutherford didn't rule out trading another defenseman or two.

The Gritty Veteran A. Wardo and Alberts? Dreger had Alberts' name in with the others a couple weeks back.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I don't think Alberts is touchable accept for overpayment... He and Carson are important to our bottom pairing next year and he's cheap...

I expect the two on the market are Ward and Corvo... The rest of the blue line remains

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I don't think Alberts is touchable accept for overpayment... He and Carson are important to our bottom pairing next year and he's cheap...

I expect the two on the market are Ward and Corvo... The rest of the blue line remains
While I agree that Ward and Corvo are probably the most likely to go, I wouldn't say that Alberts is untouchable except for an overpayment. I'm pretty sure JR can find another bottom pairing guy in the offseason.

I think the reason Alberts will stay though, is a) he isn't a UFA so not many teams would want him for next year and b) there wouldnt' be much interest in him in the first place.

Although younger, unlike Ward (who I realize isn't very good) and Wallin, he doesn't bring the veteran playoff experience to the table that teams tend to look for at the deadline. If JR received a decent offer, I could see him taking it. I just don't think one will come.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote