HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen to OTT for 2nd and Picard

Old
02-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
While I agree that Ward and Corvo are probably the most likely to go, I wouldn't say that Alberts is untouchable except for an overpayment. I'm pretty sure JR can find another bottom pairing guy in the offseason.

I think the reason Alberts will stay though, is a) he isn't a UFA so not many teams would want him for next year and b) there wouldnt' be much interest in him in the first place.

Although younger, unlike Ward (who I realize isn't very good) and Wallin, he doesn't bring the veteran playoff experience to the table that teams tend to look for at the deadline. If JR received a decent offer, I could see him taking it. I just don't think one will come.
That's what I mean by overpayment... A good offer is really an overpayment... But I tell you what... His play since about game 15 has been exceptional for bottom pairing guy... He is the guy who has done EXACTLY what we expected when we signed him... I really hope he's on the roster next year... He is a good man to have on the ice next year as we try to improve back into the playoffs

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
That's what I mean by overpayment... A good offer is really an overpayment... But I tell you what... His play since about game 15 has been exceptional for bottom pairing guy... He is the guy who has done EXACTLY what we expected when we signed him... I really hope he's on the roster next year... He is a good man to have on the ice next year as we try to improve back into the playoffs
Ok..thanks for clarifying. Usually when I see "untouchable except for an overpayment", I think of somebody having to really pony up to get the player. I understand what you are saying though. In the case of Alberts, I just don't see anybody offering anything.

I have no problem with Alberts being on the roster next year..provided it is truely in a bottom pairing role.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
These arent just knee jerk reactions from us sens fans. Alot of us havent liked this kid for a while.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=702464

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:02 PM
bleedgreen

i dont think sens really get it. we dont care if he's good, he's at worst filler. we got our 2nd round pick and the deal helps us in some pretty selfish ways. it allows us to move more defenseman, namely hopefully both corvo and ward. jr wont put an ahl team on the ice on pride alone, and us getting an nhl body even if he is as debatable as you say helps that. if he does suck, the combined effect of his poor play with the removal of cullen/whitney and hopefully corvo as well will help us get back to the bottom where we belong. we need rodney and harrison up here asap to help kill this momentum we've got going. i think the only true move to make that work is send down sutter, but im not gonna put any cash on that one.

and if picard improves, we have a good cheap young dman for next season. we obviously got the pick we want, either way its a win for the canes.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Good deal. Sens fans crapped all over Corvo when he left too and he turned out to be a very serviceable top 4 d-man. Taking a flyer on Picard and getting a 2nd for Cullen is a very good deal for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
These arent just knee jerk reactions from us sens fans. Alot of us havent liked this kid for a while.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=702464
I remember you guys saying the exact same stuff about Corvo when he was traded here and he wasn't even close to being as bad as some Sens fans made it out to be.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

So we get a replacement for Babchuk and a second? Sounds good.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post

I remember you guys saying the exact same stuff about Corvo when he was traded here and he wasn't even close to being as bad as some Sens fans made it out to be.

Alot of us liked Corvo. I was a huge Corvo fan. He requested a trade, we didn't want him traded per se. He just couldnt handle the pressure.

Picard is just bad. Corvo was good.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:37 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
So we get a replacement for Babchuk and a second? Sounds good.
There was actually a Picard for Babchuk trade proposal on HF a while back. I was in favor for it then and that was before a 2nd round pick came along with Picard. Plus the Canes still own Babchuk's rights and Cullen could always come back.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Alot of us liked Corvo. I was a huge Corvo fan. He requested a trade, we didn't want him traded per se. He just couldnt handle the pressure.

I didn't say all Sens fans hated him. You very well could have liked him, but let's not act like he wasn't a whipping boy for a lot of Sens fans.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:

We got it. Picard hasn't played well. If he works out, then great. If not, not a big deal. We expected to get a 2nd for Cullen and that's what the Canes got. As Bleed said...if Picard allows the Canes to move more DMEN at the deadline, then even better.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
MatthewT

Your going to be disappointed if your expecting Joe Corvo v2.0. Picard has never shown the offensive flare that Corvo had. One thing Picard does do good is get wrist shots through traffic on net. Thats usually how he scores.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Your going to be disappointed if your expecting Joe Corvo v2.0. Picard has never shown the offensive flare that Corvo had. One thing Picard does do good is get wrist shots through traffic on net. Thats usually how he scores.
Nobody is expecting Corvo 2.0. People are only saying that there have been a number of players that previous teams have said were terrible and did fine in Carolina.

"Oh Oh Joe" received a lot of bad press (not from everyone) leaving Ottawa and has done very well here. Much better than the fan comments when he left Ottawa would have predicted. That's not to say Picard will be the caliber of player Corvo is. There are other examples: Samsonov on waivers in Chicago and has done fine here. Jussi Jokinen on waivers in Tampa and has done very well here. etc..

I'll repeat it again. The deal is Cullen for a 2nd. If Picard works out, then bonus. If not, then nothing lost. At the worst, it allows the Canes to possibly move another UFA DMAN before the DMAN before the deadline.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Senators fans are slowing crawling to my top 3 most annoying fanbases list.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Hale The Villain

Great trade for both teams, but Picard is really that bad. There's a Jonathan Cheechoo appreciation thread (despite him being completely brutal) and a "Picard is gone celebration" thread for a reason.

Still a very good return for Cullen though.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
Senators fans are slowing crawling to my top 3 most annoying fanbases list.
Only when it comes to trades.

So what happens if Picard actually becomes a decent player for Carolina. When they inevitably make another similar trade in 2-3 years will we hear the same story?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

I'm only going to judge Picard based on his play for the Hurricanes.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Mike Commodore is going to be Wade Redden's antidote. (E5)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=477969

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i dont think sens really get it. we dont care if he's good, he's at worst filler. we got our 2nd round pick and the deal helps us in some pretty selfish ways. it allows us to move more defenseman, namely hopefully both corvo and ward. jr wont put an ahl team on the ice on pride alone, and us getting an nhl body even if he is as debatable as you say helps that. if he does suck, the combined effect of his poor play with the removal of cullen/whitney and hopefully corvo as well will help us get back to the bottom where we belong. we need rodney and harrison up here asap to help kill this momentum we've got going. i think the only true move to make that work is send down sutter, but im not gonna put any cash on that one.

and if picard improves, we have a good cheap young dman for next season. we obviously got the pick we want, either way its a win for the canes.
This.

If he sucks as bad as some Sens fans say, then JR doesn't have to re-sign him, and his suckitude will actually help us as far as the rest of season goes.

02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Re: Corvo possibly being traded,

I believe it will come down to JR being in touch with Joe & his agent and feeling out what they expect to fetch on a new deal, aswell as if Joe is interested in coming back here. Next season may not be too pretty, so we'll see if he is up to returning for starters. This is the same guy who compared our locker room to that of a funeral/wake a couple months back. A part of me thinks Corvo would like to stay, but a part of me is unsure. I'm sure JR is covering all the ground here and if it doesn't appear Corvo wants to re-sign or his price is too high for JR, we'll could likely see him dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post

Well said.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Sens1Canes2

Hey Canes posters, I'm sure many of you have read certain things that I've written, hopefully a few of you think that I'm fairly levelheaded when it comes to player evaluations. Plus, seeing as this trade involves my two favorite teams, I'd like to think that I can offer an unbiased opinion (kind of like a double negative, since I like both teams I won't favor one or the other).

I've never been a Picard hater, unlike about 97% of the posters over on the Sens board. He's got a rifle of a shot, and more often than not, that shot is on net. In fact, I remember one game last year where he one-timed a long pass and I assumed it was Heatley cause I saw the number "5" on his back...Heatley wore 15, Picard 45. It was then that I began realizing how good a shot Picard has.

It's true that he isn't the most solid defensive player I've ever seen, but he's relatively young. A lot of his mistakes are the result of him panicking a little bit, whereas a more experienced defender realizes that the chip off the glass works just fine. He hasn't perfected the Joni Pitkanen "blast it at the net from my blue line, icing be damned", but I'm sure with proper tutoring, that skill can be mastered.
Seriously, he's not the extreme liability that Sens fans typically paint him as.

One thing that is not often mentioned is that Picard is constantly shuffled in and out of the lineup in Ottawa. I don't know about you, but that kind of thing can be nerve-wracking for a kid trying to find his way in the NHL. He most likely puts a lot of pressure on himself every day to perform at a high level, instead of just letting the game come to him. That can be worked on.

He's also CHEAP. Nothing wrong with that.

In short, a good deal for both teams IMO. I am of the opinion that JR would be wise to put Cullen on the short list of UFAs that he should try to sign in the offseason. Hopefully his stay in Ottawa is (relatively) short, perhaps a Cup ring, and then a return to Raleigh.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
GoCanes2013

Thanks for a rational, reasonable post. A lot of folks on the Sens board would do well to read your post. My contention has been (a) the 2 D-corps are NOT that much different in terms of skill sets and (b) the trade may end up benefitting the Canes much more than the Sens.

BTW, there *IS* something for chemistry. I think the Sens struggle over their next 7-10 games. And they STILL don't have anywhere near the D or the goaltending to go deep in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Hey Canes posters, I'm sure many of you have read certain things that I've written, hopefully a few of you think that I'm fairly levelheaded when it comes to player evaluations. Plus, seeing as this trade involves my two favorite teams, I'd like to think that I can offer an unbiased opinion (kind of like a double negative, since I like both teams I won't favor one or the other).

I've never been a Picard hater, unlike about 97% of the posters over on the Sens board. He's got a rifle of a shot, and more often than not, that shot is on net. In fact, I remember one game last year where he one-timed a long pass and I assumed it was Heatley cause I saw the number "5" on his back...Heatley wore 15, Picard 45. It was then that I began realizing how good a shot Picard has.

It's true that he isn't the most solid defensive player I've ever seen, but he's relatively young. A lot of his mistakes are the result of him panicking a little bit, whereas a more experienced defender realizes that the chip off the glass works just fine. He hasn't perfected the Joni Pitkanen "blast it at the net from my blue line, icing be damned", but I'm sure with proper tutoring, that skill can be mastered.
Seriously, he's not the extreme liability that Sens fans typically paint him as.

One thing that is not often mentioned is that Picard is constantly shuffled in and out of the lineup in Ottawa. I don't know about you, but that kind of thing can be nerve-wracking for a kid trying to find his way in the NHL. He most likely puts a lot of pressure on himself every day to perform at a high level, instead of just letting the game come to him. That can be worked on.

He's also CHEAP. Nothing wrong with that.

In short, a good deal for both teams IMO. I am of the opinion that JR would be wise to put Cullen on the short list of UFAs that he should try to sign in the offseason. Hopefully his stay in Ottawa is (relatively) short, perhaps a Cup ring, and then a return to Raleigh.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiRuutu View Post
Thanks for a rational, reasonable post. A lot of folks on the Sens board would do well to read your post. My contention has been (a) the 2 D-corps are NOT that much different in terms of skill sets and (b) the trade may end up benefitting the Canes much more than the Sens.

BTW, there *IS* something for chemistry. I think the Sens struggle over their next 7-10 games. And they STILL don't have anywhere near the D or the goaltending to go deep in the playoffs.
I agree that chemistry is sometimes a confusing and elusive concept. However, I believe that Cullen is a pretty adaptable player. He certainly didn't have consistent linemates while in Raleigh, so I think he'll do OK. As long as he continues to work hard, he'll fit right in under Clouston's system.

As far as the respective D-corps go, I disagree with you slightly. Obviously, Volchenkov and Phillips bring a shutdown element to the Sens that the Hurricanes do not have. In fact, two of the top three d-men on the Canes are offensive in nature (Pitkanen and Corvo), while Volch-Phillips are the 1-2 guys for the Sens.

Anyways...let's hope it benefits both teams!

EDIT - I don't see Bryan Murray being done with the defense. He has to add a viable #3-4 man. Karlsson and Campoli are hurt, and you can't go into the playoffs hoping for a Cup run with all of Campoli, Karlsson, and Lee playing. You just can't. That's why I don't think BM's done quite yet. Waiving Cheechoo clears cap space for a pretty decent acquisition.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
GoCanes2013

Gleason gives us 1 great shut-down D-man, but yes, the next one we have might be Alberts.

Cheechoo only frees up cap space if someone claims him, which I can't see anyone doing at his price. Maybe on re-entry?

Quote:
I agree that chemistry is sometimes a confusing and elusive concept. However, I believe that Cullen is a pretty adaptable player. He certainly didn't have consistent linemates while in Raleigh, so I think he'll do OK. As long as he continues to work hard, he'll fit right in under Clouston's system.

As far as the respective D-corps go, I disagree with you slightly. Obviously, Volchenkov and Phillips bring a shutdown element to the Sens that the Hurricanes do not have. In fact, two of the top three d-men on the Canes are offensive in nature (Pitkanen and Corvo), while Volch-Phillips are the 1-2 guys for the Sens.

EDIT - I don't see Bryan Murray being done with the defense. He has to add a viable #3-4 man. Karlsson and Campoli are hurt, and you can't go into the playoffs hoping for a Cup run with all of Campoli, Karlsson, and Lee playing. You just can't. That's why I don't think BM's done quite yet. Waiving Cheechoo clears cap space for a pretty decent acquisition.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:

I would have to agree with you entirely. When healthy I think the Canes top 3 matches up with the Sens top 3 despite being an entirely different style of play. But where the Sens kill us is depth. Carson is probably the closest thing we have to a #4 right now, but he's more a 3rd pairing guy. He might eventually become a 2nd pairing guy but 3rd pairing is what he is. Karlsson is closer to a legit #4. And the Sens depth is better with the wash probably being whoever Alberts is matched up with. Campoli is better then Picard, anything is better then A Ward.

Not sure who I see the Sens going after to put them even closer to the top of the conference. Leopold or even Seidenberg may be an option there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM
QuattroFTW

Picard is a good defenseman and getting him and a 2nd round pick is worth it. He just didn't fit in with Clouston's style of play.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote